Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Meowjesty posted:

The tiger tattoo is the worst thing. It goes across both legs and also comes with gun tattoos?

Naturally. But given that without it, I suspect that open top should be wide enough to see nipples, well. The guns are for modesty. I am 'glad' that the O-face is an option as well. It's how you know you're drawing a real comic book character.

I also actually meant to pick the black lipstick, but it must've changed when I switched through the different mouths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow gamer
Jul 24, 2008

I PASSED UP A BARGAIN

Devious Vacuum posted:

Hi thread!

I'm going to be away this weekend, so there will probably be a delay in updates. In the meantime, I found this excellent game for creating STRONG FEMALE CHARACTERS: Mega Action Heroine Creator!

This is Harley Quinn's new redesign, right?

So I loaded this game just to see if I could give this poor girl some pants....I cannot. :(

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Hey, y'all! New installment in the "Love Letter Saga!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

chocolatekake
Jul 31, 2013

Cake? Chocolate.
I support having all the hair. I also support dying your clothes with grenades. I am a little disappointed that you can't move the dogs wherever you want, though.

Watch out users of public transportation! Susie Seven is here to gently caress your day up!
Also, you'd think the export feature would remove the music and save icons...

Shadow gamer posted:

So I loaded this game just to see if I could give this poor girl some pants....I cannot. :(
Sure you can! As long as by pants you mean basically one style of skinny jeans.

chocolatekake fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 27, 2014

this fish flies
Dec 21, 2007

Don't Give Up The Ship

Super Mega Action Girl! Look at how Action she is! Wow.

Skanker
Mar 21, 2013

With her trusty dog in tow, 'Stealth-finger' Leila prowls the streets of Detroit...

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013

this fish flies posted:

Scoff all you like, but whoops look at that she's got her necktie around your throat and your face against that shiny, shiny corporate floor.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

this fish flies posted:

Rowan Atkinson wore blue tights better.

Elissia
Dec 28, 2012

this fish flies posted:

It's got to just be my eyes or a trick of the background but god drat she looks like she has super-long extra-jointed fingers.

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Look out world, there's a new cop in town. And she doesn't have a sense of style. Coming Soon, Fashion Cop 2: Fashion Harder

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

While pants, skirts, and shirts do have customizable length, the dress options are much more limited, focusing on only one style. You can't remove the pattern, and you can't change anything above the waist. About all you can change is the length of the skirt and the number of belts. You could probably layer a shirt underneath, now that I think of it, but between the linework and the lack of pattern, it might still be obvious.

Speaking of belts:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Elissia posted:

It's got to just be my eyes or a trick of the background but god drat she looks like she has super-long extra-jointed fingers.

Let's see...

ZOOM!

ENHANCE!

OH GOD! :gonk:

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 27, 2014

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

The_White_Crane posted:

Let's see...

ZOOM!

ENHANCE!

OH GOD! :gonk:

I love this thread :allears:

Slenderwoman.png

this fish flies
Dec 21, 2007

Don't Give Up The Ship

Elissia posted:

I think it's the "nails" that they put on her. I mistakenly clicked them and all the colors added claws to her hands. So she has extra actiony 3" acrylic nails.

DWK
Sep 18, 2009

I decided to make a St. Trinian's girl because... because why not?

Then I thought I'd try and make Sheik from Ocarina of Time. As you can see, this dress up game is sorely lacking in ocarinas.

And then because it was there, I put a mask on Sheik.

SirArthurIV
Feb 15, 2014
About Half the backgrounds make her look like six inches tall. So I present the littlest crossing guard. She is crying because she is tiny.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SirArthurIV fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 27, 2014

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

What's this?!?!

:siren: Warning: surgery, incisions, implication of blood :siren:

with Chuuurls and HelmetCondenser

In this video: COINCIDENCE?!?!

By the way, Chuuurls, Asterisk, and CherryDoom have a cool podcast about 50 Shades of Grey (https://holycast.tumblr.com) and if you like making fun of lovely things (obviously you do!) then you will enjoy listening to them.

Devious Vacuum fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Feb 27, 2014

Knockknees
Dec 21, 2004

sprung out fully formed
Seeing a lot of thigh gap in these game arts :\

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Knockknees posted:

Seeing a lot of thigh gap in these game arts :\

It's that extra touch that makes them all look 13.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

this fish flies posted:

Devil Ed posted:

Look out world, there's a new cop in town. And she doesn't have a sense of style. Coming Soon, Fashion Cop 2: Fashion Harder

Alright so there is this trick that has been used a bit more frequently in animation where, instead of a pattern on a surface being drawn for the scene (a plaid shirt design for example) it is sort of just set to fill in a character's shape. You can see this in kids shows like Gumball Chowder and probably adventure time.

I bring this up because these two sets of pants are not drawn to be around legs, they are two, 2D patterns that were cut out to fit the "pants" shape. There is then another pattern on top of that one to define the "shape" of the pants.

What I'm saying is, I think I put more effort into this post than the game designer did into making these clothes.

Also these girls have weirdly long legs. Legs are supposed to be 1/2 your height, theirs are 2/3s their height... If they were next to a Normal Human FemaleTM of equal height, their waist would start at around the human's chest.

The Best Christmas
May 13, 2011

Oh well it can't possibly get any worse can it?

:catstare: Nope, it absolutely can. I have not judged a human being any harder than I have the person behind the idea for this loving plastic surgeon game.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

The Best Christmas posted:

Oh well it can't possibly get any worse can it?

:catstare: Nope, it absolutely can. I have not judged a human being any harder than I have the person behind the idea for this loving plastic surgeon game.

The gameplay doesn't even change from bodypart to bodypart. It's not even good from a gameplay perspective!

DWK
Sep 18, 2009

Devious Vacuum posted:

What's this?!?!

:siren: Warning: surgery, incisions, implication of blood :siren:

That music you recognised is Good King Wenceslas. I feel so Christmasy now.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Is- is the date guy making heart eyes at the waiter?

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

Midnight Voyager posted:

Is- is the date guy making heart eyes at the waiter?

It's the only natural reaction to The French Touch.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Ada?!

Hey, it's that dog!

Ada wearing that fancy red evening dress with the intention of traipsing around the Not-Spain wilderness always bothered me a possibly unreasonable amount. She had a much more sensible outfit in one of the bonus modes where you play as her.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I found myself playing a girl game today, so I figured I'd share it with the thread! It's kinda tame compared to some of the :psyduck: that's been floating round, so let's call this a palate cleanser.

Yup, I think I'm posting this in the right thread.

I guess this is a sequel. The first game in the series appears to have an English translation -- I'm sure you're all excited to hear that! I couldn't find one for this second game, though, so I'll interpret for you as we go along.

That sure looks like an RPG. The big button at the bottom right is even labelled "QUEST" and everything. Let's try it!

Nikki: "Hey, hey, I got a weird birthday present!"
Momo: "A weird birthday present? How nice, it's just like you."

We're Nikki, a girl who like all animes is only recognisable from her hairstyle and outfit. Our sidekick is Cid from FF6 a talking cat.

Nikki: "Ugh, don't you even want to know what it is?"
Momo: "Okay, I'll bite. Who's given you what now?"
Nikki: "It's from my dad, who as you are well aware is off travelling the world to become the best photographer. And what it is, is a completely blank sheet of paper, on the back of which ... is a treasure map!"

Sounds like a quest hook if I ever saw one!

Treasure map: "Climb the lofty mountains, cross the vast ocean. Far away you may find the beauty of paradise, and acquire all its riches and treasure."
Momo: "That's crazy."
Nikki: "Totally. Every time I read it it looks crazier."
Momo: "That guy's always been special ... it's how I know you're his daughter. But enough about your wonderful father: aren't you forgetting something more important?"

There's something more important than a treasure map from crazy dad?

Nikki: "Eh?"
Momo: "I knew it! Didn't your mom say something before she went to work? About another present?"
Nikki: "Ooh, yes! She ordered me those shoes from that designer, didn't she! I've gotta go and get them! I-I didn't forget, though, I've been looking forward to it forever!"

Riches are one thing, but the real treasure is shoes, amirite ladies?

Momo: "Hmm, really? And anyway, what are you doing in that old dress on your birthday? Go and change into something trendier!"

ACCEPT QUEST YES/NO

are you ready ... for gameplay?

Forget crap like dungeons or combat. This game gets straight to the heart of compelling gameplay for girls!

The cat has some harsh criticism if you choose poorly. As a nerdy man who mostly views clothing as a means of (a) regulating body temperature and (b) not getting arrested, I'm basically guessing here. Luckily you don't have many bad options to choose from at first.

Rewards: some cash, some items. And then I'm dumped back on the map. I can repeat the quest for diminishing rewards, or move on to something different.

The quests all seem to follow this pattern: a short talky scene, and then dressing up with some objective: the second quest requires me to coordinate an outfit with a specific pair of shoes, while the third requires me to craft a dress and then model it.

(Some inspired color-matching nets me an S-rank on both! I'm definitely going to brag about this gaming achievement to all my man-friends!)

This is a free-to-play phone game, so you already know how it works: a stamina meter limits the rate you can play at unless you pay real money, and you have to buy most of your clothes, which means grinding quests or paying real money. The items you get as rewards are used for crafting more clothes, or giving to shopkeepers to raise their affection to unlock yet more clothes. Clothes clothes clothes.

Game rating: it's a phone game. It's better than the flash notgames. There's progress and objectives and in-app purchases. Doubtless it becomes grindy bullshit soon, but I've actually kind of enjoyed playing dress-up so far!

Political rating: I'm pleased to see that for once the protagonist is not changing her appearance to meet the standards of the male sex. No ma'am, this game is designed to send women a positive and empowering message: if you don't land yourself a man, at least you can still make a cat happy.

If you spend enough money on clothes.

The Best Christmas
May 13, 2011

Cats are arguably the most judgmental of them all! They do, however, have bad taste in clothing, so you're probably safe.

Also, I just realized that I'm pretty sure you were supposed to actually type out the text in that kissing-and-then-doing-things-while-your-date-is-likely-just-loving-the-waiter simulator.

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."
The clothes in that game are pretty cute and seem well designed-ish. The thing about iOS games is that, from what I understand, the graphical assets aren't too hard to extract, so at the very least if you got sick of the IAP system you could make your own paper dolls with some know-how.

Related note, there's a pretty rad article on Kill Screen about dress up games (inspired by the thread? Who knows!).

Kangra
May 7, 2012

DWK posted:

That music you recognised is Good King Wenceslas. I feel so Christmasy now.

Technically the tune could be considered a spring song: Tempus adest floridum. It is a few centuries older than the lyrics that melody's most familiar with. (Even then the game only plays the end of it).

I find it amusing that I had little problem watching the surgery, but once you pointed out the seizure-creature on the side, I almost had to stop. But please keep all the stuff around the game itself -- seeing all those similar games is part of the fun.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I played a bit more and the next quest has you pick an outfit that satisfies certain criteria within a time limit. It's a far cry from the globe trotting treasure hunt I thought I was signing up for but this is practically action-packed!

It's actually frustrating. You can see someone trying to make dress-up into a real game, and someone else coming along and saying ok, now let's monetize this poo poo. I hope we grow out of this soon.

Soricidus fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 28, 2014

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

The Best Christmas posted:

Cats are arguably the most judgmental of them all! They do, however, have bad taste in clothing, so you're probably safe.
I'm not sure my cat cares what I wear, but she does like to sleep in my motorcycle jacket.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
There seemed to be some confusion over the concept of escape games in the video, but I actually really like them (when they're well done, at least). The basic idea is that you're trapped in a room (or some other relatively confined space) and have to find clues and solve puzzles to open the door. Most of them are pretty gender neutral from what I've seen, but a while ago I came across Charger Escape which is at least horse oriented and so might qualify. The "More Games" option in the menu led me to Arcade Town which has a number of games that, while not categorized by gender, certainly look to include a number of girl games. A lot of them are download only, but here's a list of online games if you want to troll then for suitable fare. I haven't seen any that are as horrible as what you've been playing, though.

hieropants
Aug 31, 2012
I have to say, before today I had never associated "girl games" with the act of slashing a woman's face open with a knife and sticking a bicycle pump in the open wound. This thread is so educational.

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
I'm just wondering why Plants vs. Zombies was on that website.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
They let you make her thin, give her weird giant cheek scars, then dress her up? Did she walk into the surgeon's office, slap down a picture of Heath Ledger's Joker and say "I'll have that?"

I like that one make up game though. It's fairly realistic, nonsexualized, and you're not doing it for anyone else. Dress up games aren't inherently bad: I love character customization and have seen them tweaked into actual fun games. It's a real shame that 95% of them are junk garbage that can be downright harmful to their intended audience.

SirArthurIV
Feb 15, 2014

Wind God Sety posted:

I'm just wondering why Plants vs. Zombies was on that website.
Because flowers.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

ThatPazuzu posted:

Dress up games aren't inherently bad: I love character customization and have seen them tweaked into actual fun games.

This so hard!!

I think one of the most important takeaways from this thread is that everybody likes playing dress-up; it's not a "girl" thing, and it's not dumb or bad because it's a "girl" thing. By relegating it to the title of "girly," it limits both what girls AND boys can do, keeping girls from expressing more agency and making boys feel ashamed of any desire to make their character look pretty.

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Speaking of dress-up games. Does anyone here know Neopets?

They have at least two flash dress-up games: one that's actually pretty good and another that's...not.

The good one is Hannah and the Wardrobe of Adventure

Hannah is a recurring character on Neopets and she's an explorer/adventurer. She has two other actual adventure games based around her. This game is essentially a puzzle game where you have to dress up Hannah up to match the mission given, and most missions are her going off to do adventurey things even though you don't get to play that part. Your time is given as bonus points at the end but the actual score is based off how many pieces of clothes you got correct.

Oh and there's a block game after every 3 missions which adds to your overall score. (She looks like a ninja in that one because the last mission was for her to dress-up and infiltrate a flying skyship full of ninjas from not!Japan that was attacking other ships. It's nice how they change the background and color scheme to match whichever was the last mission.)

The other-one is Fashion Frenzy, and it's pretty much exactly the same as every-other flash dress-up game we've seen so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
Oh, I looked at the plastic surgery game again and you're preforming surgery on a fat Luanne from King of the Hill and I love that.

• Locked thread