Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Everyone has the launcher, it's part of Google Search now. It's just not enabled on all devices yet. What the play store link probably does is enable it just like you could do with a 3rd party app. For now, they must want it limited until they work out all 3rd party skin interactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone have any apps they think are particularly sexy in terms of design or experience? Even if the app isn't spectacular itself.

Check out androidnicities.tumblr.com

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

UncleGuito posted:

Check out androidnicities.tumblr.com

That should be http://androidniceties.tumblr.com/

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
I've recently become bougy as gently caress and got a Galaxy S4. I'm facing a five hour drive tomorrow, is the music player that ships with Android any good? Should I be looking at a new music app? I'm trying to play a mix of FLAC and MP3.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I've recently become bougy as gently caress and got a Galaxy S4. I'm facing a five hour drive tomorrow, is the music player that ships with Android any good? Should I be looking at a new music app? I'm trying to play a mix of FLAC and MP3.

PowerAmp is the usual recommendation. And no, the bundled Samsung music player is terrible.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Can anyone recommend a good budget app? Simple would work, I'm mostly looking to keep better track of how much I'm spending.

**Is there something like Level Money, but you can just manually enter amounts?

Cheston fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Feb 27, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Cheston posted:

Can anyone recommend a good budget app? Simple would work, I'm mostly looking to keep better track of how much I'm spending.

What's wrong with Mint?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Sab669 posted:

Is it possible to remove this HP Print Service app from automatically reinstalling itself on my Nexus 5? :argh:

I don't even own a printer, go the gently caress away.

Just disable it

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Cheston posted:

If you want strictly a checkbook register, Loot has always been my go to. I'm using YNAB now adays but I would stand by loot as being a basic no gimmicks app. The developer also put out a "premium" companion app that ties in with it to see charts and whatnot, but it's free at this point.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
My very first Android phone is due to arrive today (Nexus 5, switching from iPhone 4S) and I want to be ready to get it set up:

- What do you guys use to manage music on your phone? I have a playlist in iTunes that contains all the songs I like to keep on my phone, is there an easy way to sync that up on Android? If not is there another good way to manage music on an Adroid phone in OS X? Being able to integrate with iTunes playlists is a plus.

- What's the best way to transfer my contacts over? I saw some recommendation to sync my contacts to iTunes, and then export them and then import them to Google. My Google account has way more contacts than what I want sitting in my phone (lots of email addresses, no phone numbers). Is there a different way? Or will Android treat contacts with a phone number differently from all the other riff raff?

- Anything else I should do day one with my phone?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

prom candy posted:

My very first Android phone is due to arrive today (Nexus 5, switching from iPhone 4S) and I want to be ready to get it set up:

- What do you guys use to manage music on your phone? I have a playlist in iTunes that contains all the songs I like to keep on my phone, is there an easy way to sync that up on Android? If not is there another good way to manage music on an Adroid phone in OS X? Being able to integrate with iTunes playlists is a plus.

A lot of people use Google Play Music. You install their app on your PC and it will scan whatever folder you point it at and upload that music to the cloud. Once it's in the cloud, you can either stream it through the Play Music app or "pin" (download) it to your phone.

If cloud services aren't your thing there are a lot of music apps on Android, but I don't know what ones will play well with iTunes. Look into Poweramp or DoubleTwist.

prom candy posted:

- What's the best way to transfer my contacts over? I saw some recommendation to sync my contacts to iTunes, and then export them and then import them to Google. My Google account has way more contacts than what I want sitting in my phone (lots of email addresses, no phone numbers). Is there a different way? Or will Android treat contacts with a phone number differently from all the other riff raff?

If you're going to use Android you're generally better off going all-in with Google services, so exporting your contacts into Google would be the way to go. You could take all those contacts with just emails and put them into a group and then use the option to not display that group in the app.

prom candy posted:

Root it, install Don's Discount MatriXXX rom, and put skate grip on the sides.

Please don't do these things

Luchadork fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 27, 2014

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Music on Google Play is apparently not available in Canada. I already have Rdio for cloud music as well, but I like to have a certain amount of music on my phone just in case I can't get internet somewhere or cloud services aren't available.

I'll turn myself over to the google way for my contacts.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I switched from poweramp to shuttle, both are very good. Certainly better than the built in app.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I guess I will go ahead and ask here even though I think my quest is futile. Using a Galaxy S3, non rooted, Nova launcher. I want to use something like Dash Notifier on my lock screen, problem is, regardless of my settings if I have a missed call or a text message I get a big ugly white block notification that is placed directly on top of whatever lock screen widget I am using. As far as I can tell, I can not turn this off, without also turning off the ring and vibrate functions of the phone and text apps. Any ideas?

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

ScarletBrother posted:

I'm not getting notifications for MMS in Sliding Messenger Pro. Any clues as to what could be up? Nexus 4 running CM 10.2

You might want to use their new SMS/MMS app, EvolveSMS. I have had no issues with it and MMS (aside from being angry that I bought Sliding Messaging too, and it turned out to be a piece of overrated garbage.)

RE:Now Launcher - every time I interact with the home screen, my sound cuts out. Anyone have this? Clearing data and cache did gently caress all.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

prom candy posted:

I was in the literal exact same situation as you a week ago!

- I use Google Play Music, although that's only for stuff I can't get on Rdio. You realize you can sync songs to your phone for offline play with Rdio right? Sure, you have to use the app but it's easier than finding a download link and transferring it onto your phone.

- I downloaded an app on my 4S (I honestly can't remember the name) that exported all of my contacts into a VCF. From there I imported it in gmail and removed duplicates and my phone did the rest. Also, if you're concerned about keeping your SMSes/iMessages, it's actually really drat easy to transfer them, too. Just keep in mind depending how many messages you have it can take a really long time, and I'm relatively sure it doesn't include picture messages. (I had about ~96k messages to transfer over and it took roughly 4-5 hours to do it.)

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

My Google account has way more contacts than what I want sitting in my phone (lots of email addresses, no phone numbers). Is there a different way? Or will Android treat contacts with a phone number differently from all the other riff raff?
In addition to the answer about using groups which relates to the People app, it's worth noting that the Dialer app only shows contacts with an associated phone number so you won't get email-only contacts filling up the list there.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

emocrat posted:

I guess I will go ahead and ask here even though I think my quest is futile. Using a Galaxy S3, non rooted, Nova launcher. I want to use something like Dash Notifier on my lock screen, problem is, regardless of my settings if I have a missed call or a text message I get a big ugly white block notification that is placed directly on top of whatever lock screen widget I am using. As far as I can tell, I can not turn this off, without also turning off the ring and vibrate functions of the phone and text apps. Any ideas?

Yeah, I'm on an S4 and that big white notification sucks. You can get rid of it for texts, but I haven't found a way to get rid of it for missed calls (although now that I'm on 4.4, I don't recall seeing that at all). First of all, go to Settings > My Device > Lockscreen, and make sure "Multiple widgets" is enabled. That should prevent the white poo poo from being put on top of your widget, at least.

Then, to actually get rid of it, you're on the right track in that you have to turn off notifications for texts entirely. As a matter of fact, you'll just have to use another text app altogether that doesn't do this. 8SMS is going to be the best barebones replacement, but moreover, I've had a good time with EvolveSMS so far.

Geektox posted:

PowerAmp is the usual recommendation. And no, the bundled Samsung music player is terrible.
I never got the love for Poweramp, it's always seemed uglier and less featured than other options like PlayerPro, which is my player of choice. Shuttle+ is good, but it's still a bit buggy on my phone for whatever reason.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 27, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

emocrat posted:

Try an app called Lockscreen Policy

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Actual question: My work e-mail requires me to have a passcode on my phone. The only issue is when the phone is locked, I can't access the notification drawer (I have to unlock my phone to.) Is there a way to enable it if I have a passcode set?

I did install NiLS for notifications but I find I like the Android drawer better.

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

robodex posted:

I was in the literal exact same situation as you a week ago!

- I use Google Play Music, although that's only for stuff I can't get on Rdio. You realize you can sync songs to your phone for offline play with Rdio right? Sure, you have to use the app but it's easier than finding a download link and transferring it onto your phone.

- I downloaded an app on my 4S (I honestly can't remember the name) that exported all of my contacts into a VCF. From there I imported it in gmail and removed duplicates and my phone did the rest. Also, if you're concerned about keeping your SMSes/iMessages, it's actually really drat easy to transfer them, too. Just keep in mind depending how many messages you have it can take a really long time, and I'm relatively sure it doesn't include picture messages. (I had about ~96k messages to transfer over and it took roughly 4-5 hours to do it.)

Rdio doesn't have everything and I'm a bit of a dork when it comes to things like bitrate. Plus there's some stuff that I have as MP3 that I just can't get elsewhere, like archives of This American Life. I use locally stored music less and less but we're a few years behind in Canada.

That's awesome about the contacts and messages, thanks!

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

prom candy posted:

Rdio doesn't have everything and I'm a bit of a dork when it comes to things like bitrate. Plus there's some stuff that I have as MP3 that I just can't get elsewhere, like archives of This American Life. I use locally stored music less and less but we're a few years behind in Canada.

That's awesome about the contacts and messages, thanks!

That's true. I find Rdio is good for about 90% of the mainstream stuff (I'm in Canada too) but there's a lot of random albums that aren't available for whatever reason.

I do like how Android makes it a million times easier to add music to my phone, I loved my iPhone but the whole iTunes requirement was awful. Having access to the filesystem is awesome.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

prom candy posted:

I used to use iSyncr and that worked perfectly. It syncs all the music and playlists from iTunes to your phone and you can specify what you want to sync.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

prom candy posted:

I use iSyncr for my music, and it works great. Actually, the wireless sync feature on it works better than the wired one! Who would have thought?

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I've been doing the occasional search to see when 4.4.2 will come out for my Verizon G2, and when I flipped to my home page with Google Now's preview on it I saw "Android 4.4.2 Update for Verizon's..". Hey, maybe they just released my update! :yayclod:

"Android 4.4.2 Update for Verizon's Moto X Rolling Out to All"

:smithcloud:

Drunk Badger fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 28, 2014

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Drunk Badger posted:

I've been doing the occasional search to see when 4.4.2 will come out for my Verizon G2, and when I flipped to my home page with Google Now's preview on it I saw "Android 4.4.2 Update for Verizon's..". Hey, maybe they just released my update! :yayclod:

"Android 4.4.2 Update for Verizon's Moto X Rolling Out to All"

:smithcloud:

Same, for the Razr M. Motorola's gonna keep taking their dear sweet time with things, especially since their newer Droid line still hasn't completely taken to KitKat rollouts. It was a long effort with the X, longer with the new Droids, longer still for the old ones. I don't know where your G2 will fit into the mix.

I've given up all hope, skinned my Nova launcher and lockscreen to somewhat resemble a Moto X, and have been living in comfortable delusion, pretending that 4.4 is already on my phone.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Same, for the Razr M. Motorola's gonna keep taking their dear sweet time with things, especially since their newer Droid line still hasn't completely taken to KitKat rollouts. It was a long effort with the X, longer with the new Droids, longer still for the old ones. I don't know where your G2 will fit into the mix.

I've given up all hope, skinned my Nova launcher and lockscreen to somewhat resemble a Moto X, and have been living in comfortable delusion, pretending that 4.4 is already on my phone.

It's probably going to take even longer than you think for Motorola to update the G2.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
iSyncr is perfect, thanks for the suggestion! Now what about album art? Any way to grab it and add it to Play Music? Is play music even the best app for playing local music?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

robodex posted:

Actual question: My work e-mail requires me to have a passcode on my phone. The only issue is when the phone is locked, I can't access the notification drawer (I have to unlock my phone to.) Is there a way to enable it if I have a passcode set?

I did install NiLS for notifications but I find I like the Android drawer better.

I'm assuming this is exchange/Outlook. Verify that your Outlook administrators allow you to use Touchdown as a client, then purchase/use that. It sandboxes all things work-related into a password-protected and remote-wipe-able thing to satisfy your admins, and the rest of your phone is entirely unaffected / doesn't need a passcode. The downside is that it's $20.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

prom candy posted:

iSyncr is perfect, thanks for the suggestion! Now what about album art? Any way to grab it and add it to Play Music? Is play music even the best app for playing local music?

Play Music is good, yeah. The only problems I've had with play music is when trying to stream my library from ~*the cloud*~. There's an option in iSyncr that'll take any album art you have in iTunes and just use that. Alternatively, Play Music will just use whatever album art is embedded in the music file.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

Lakitu7 posted:

I'm assuming this is exchange/Outlook. Verify that your Outlook administrators allow you to use Touchdown as a client, then purchase/use that. It sandboxes all things work-related into a password-protected and remote-wipe-able thing to satisfy your admins, and the rest of your phone is entirely unaffected / doesn't need a passcode. The downside is that it's $20.

Ouch... $20 is a little steep for the small convenience of not having to unlock my phone so that might be a little much. I have NiLS for notifications so I can stick with that. I just remember in iOS I could bring down notification centre so I didn't know if there was a setting in Android to the same.

BTW, I've been using Aviate... I like how it's location-aware but I'm not sure I like the UI. Feels too much like using an app rather than a desktop, if that makes sense. Plus having to swipe twice to get to my full app list is sort of cumbersome.

robodex fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Feb 28, 2014

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

robodex posted:

BTW, I've been using Aviate... I like how it's location-aware but I'm not sure I like the UI. Feels too much like using an app rather than a desktop, if that makes sense. Plus having to swipe twice to get to my full app list is sort of cumbersome.

Try Action Launcher.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
So I hate the Touchwiz photo viewer and dialer.

I found an awesome photo viewer and dialer, but for the life of me can't seem to make the new dialer default.

When I go to settings and choose Phone, it has "clear default" blurred out.

Any help?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

robodex posted:

Ouch... $20 is a little steep for the small convenience of not having to unlock my phone so that might be a little much.

It's more than that. A remote wipe command will only wipe out TouchDown's data store and not the whole phone then. You basically sequester work stuff to it's own area. Better for you, better for the company.

Also, see if you can just expense it with the company or have them buy a license key for you.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Power amp seems to have all the cover art that I could ever want.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It's more than that. A remote wipe command will only wipe out TouchDown's data store and not the whole phone then. You basically sequester work stuff to it's own area. Better for you, better for the company.

Also, see if you can just expense it with the company or have them buy a license key for you.

They might, but we're also a pretty small company (the division I work for is only... 6 or 7 people? Maybe 40 people total in the office?) and while they might have the ability to remote wipe my phone I don't think they'll ever need to. I don't work with particularly sensitive data.

Still, I'll think about it. I don't mind using a password to unlock my phone but notification centre is basically the only thing I miss from iOS.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

bull3964 posted:

Cloudmagic is a free alternative for exchange based email that won't force you to have a pin lock.

It only does email though, no calendars.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

robodex posted:

They might, but we're also a pretty small company (the division I work for is only... 6 or 7 people? Maybe 40 people total in the office?) and while they might have the ability to remote wipe my phone I don't think they'll ever need to. I don't work with particularly sensitive data.

Still, I'll think about it. I don't mind using a password to unlock my phone but notification centre is basically the only thing I miss from iOS.

Enhanced Email is cheaper, but might not fly with the administration as it bypasses the security requirements entirely. If your org is sensitive about it, using it could potentially get you fired. If they don't care and only have it in because Exchange defaults, then it might be workable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

So I hate the Touchwiz photo viewer and dialer.

I found an awesome photo viewer and dialer, but for the life of me can't seem to make the new dialer default.

When I go to settings and choose Phone, it has "clear default" blurred out.

Any help?

Whenever you install a new app that can accept certain intents, the existing default for those intents is cleared I think. Try initiating a phone call from a contact's entry, and it should pop up a selector with the stock dialer and the new one, select the new one and hit the "Always" option.

• Locked thread