Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ruggington posted:

There's pain behind those eyes :(

Cool Machoke

Help I Can't Feelllll My Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

Doesn't Fonz know Surf and Strength now anyways? What's the point of keeping Lapras around now, swap that ball and chain out for Drowzee.

edit: he doesn't have Strength yet, but is capable of it, right? Seriously don't know why we've kept Lapras around especially for that grinding session if that's the case. Democracy the PC, get Drowzee, dump Lapras, bing bang boom.
There's a flaw in your plan. It involves going to the PC.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

How long have they been stuck in this spot? 4 hours?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

nerdbot posted:

I feel like HG/SS was the most "complete"-feeling game. You had two drat regions, they went to the trouble of restoring all the poo poo that got cut from Kanto between RBY and GSC (Viridan Forest, Safari Zone, Seafoam, Cerulean Cave, more I'm forgetting), all the forms from Platinum were there, you had that weird thing where Arceus fills your mind with weird photos, that time travel to fight Giovanni thing, the Battle Frontier...

If they remade HG/SS to have X/Y's graphics and battle/breeding balances, maybe tossed in the Sevii Islands, redid the level curve so it isn't so short, I'd never want another video game. Yes I know they only just did HG/SS like 3 or 4 years ago.

I like how so much nothing has been happening on TPP that we're just talking about the other games now. :shrug:

I think a revamp that combined gen1 and gen2 would be pretty rad. Finish up Kanto and continue your journey in Johto. Maybe toss in Hoenn afterward since it's overdue for a remake, but that might be stretching the limits of the cartridge.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Nihilarian posted:

There's a flaw in your plan. It involves going to the PC.

It's almost like I prefaced that by saying go Democracy first.

Last time, they managed to yank out the right mans except they undershot Drowzee and grabbed Lapras instead. Now they can fix that mistake(in Cinnabar(when they die and get kicked two hours travel time away))

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
Pretty late on this but 4th gen while the world felt kinda boring I defitenly had the best champion battle. Cynthia actually felt challenging and took me a while to beat while 5th gen the Elite 4 and the stuff after it didnt feel very hard. Best world though was probably Gen 3 for me.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Has Nidoking learned Strength yet? They could get it out of Red's PC and not have to risk losing any of their good Pokemon.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

It's almost like I prefaced that by saying go Democracy first.

Last time, they managed to yank out the right mans except they undershot Drowzee and grabbed Lapras instead. Now they can fix that mistake(in Cinnabar(when they die and get kicked two hours travel time away))

It wasn't a mistake. Lapras is better than Drowzee. Lapras' only problem is that it's pretty hard to grind when everything is twice its level.

But yeah, gently caress the PC even with democracy. Especially with democracy.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

Anime Sandwich posted:

Pretty late on this but 4th gen while the world felt kinda boring I defitenly had the best champion battle. Cynthia actually felt challenging and took me a while to beat while 5th gen the Elite 4 and the stuff after it didnt feel very hard. Best world though was probably Gen 3 for me.

Gen 3 had tons of interesting locations but spent way too much of the second half of the game in Surf mode. Brendan and May were pretty awful as rivals though. Other than those gripes easily my favorite of the series.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Gen3 was waaaaay too Water-heavy. Which was annoying for anyone who picked the obvious choice starter (by which I of course mean Torchic). There was a decent part of that game where leveling anything weak to Water was... tiresome, if not "difficult" per se.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I've been plowing my way through X on the bus and decided the only way to make it challenging in any sort of way is to only carry three usable pokemon at any given time. I'll carry lower level 'mons to level them (Not turning off exp share because grinding != challenge), but they won't be useful in a battle.

Pokemon at this point needs some major design changes. The game hasn't changed much in that long of a time span. It's kind of telling that by the time you've completed the first gym, you've done everything combat wise the game will ask of you. Now you have 20+ hours of the same gameplay over and over.

EDIT: Also all this talk of HG/SS makes me want to play that instead. I only ever played Gold when it first came out in Japan. I imported a copy not knowing a lick of japanese but was able to get myself to the end of the game and had a great time doing it.

HKR fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Feb 27, 2014

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
So, where are they even trying to go right now. they just seem stuck in that little room.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

something posted:

So, where are they even trying to go right now. they just seem stuck in that little room.

And it shall stay that way.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

something posted:

Probably just trying to die so the party can get healed. Hopefully they don't decide to do anything stupid like get Gastly or Earthquake afterwards. Evolving Omanyte at Cinnabar and then taking on Victory Road again is probably a pretty solid plan.
I mean, VR shouldn't be too hard as long as we try it with democracy.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Two-hitting a Rock poke with normal moves by sheer dint of levels. :allears:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
And the first blackout on VR has occurred.

I wonder when the stream will face the ledge again.

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
:rip:

It's a shame The Ledge is there, it's fun watching them throw themselves at VR and dying repeatedly because they can't even get out of a basic platform.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

JerryLee posted:

Two-hitting a Rock poke with normal moves by sheer dint of levels. :allears:

Just remember: in rock-paper-scissors, scissors can beat rock if the scissors are big enough.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Time for another full day of grinding in the mansion.

Truly a fate worse than death.

E: v Yep!

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Feb 27, 2014

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Wait how did they get back there? Passed out in Victory Road without having hit up a new pokemon center?

Surprisingly Dope
Jan 12, 2011

Lope burgs again
going to get earthquake and other tms is actually a pretty good plan. theres no way were ever going to be able to even touch the elite 4 right now.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Oxyclean posted:

Wait how did they get back there? Passed out in Victory Road without having hit up a new pokemon center?
dingdingding

something
Aug 1, 2011

Have you ever seen
The most pure look of delight
On a Babby's face?

Pillbug
In all honesty grinding some more is probably needed, if they can't survive long enough to get even 1 puzzle locked in.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Anime Sandwich posted:

going to get earthquake and other tms is actually a pretty good plan. theres no way were ever going to be able to even touch the elite 4 right now.

We have a difficult relationship with TMs.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Anime Sandwich posted:

Plus, AIR is weak enough that it would probably be better to grind it against some weaker Pokemon on the way to the Earthquake TM.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
So OctoGod learns Spike Cannon and Hydro Pump earlier when it evolves. :stare: :Gen1:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
'Fury Attack' and 'Spike Cannon' are such hardcore names, I wish that multi-hit moves like those were better.

Kubert
Aug 9, 2010

PowerBeard posted:

So OctoGod learns Spike Cannon and Hydro Pump earlier when it evolves. :stare: :Gen1:

Which has the neat side effect of a omanyte being unable to ever learn spike cannon or hydropump on its own if you evolve it at the wrong time. :v:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

'Fury Attack' and 'Spike Cannon' are such hardcore names, I wish that multi-hit moves like those were better.

There's an ability called Skill Link that makes multi-hit attacks hit every time. The distribution of it is low but it makes those moves range from viable to absurdly strong on certain pokemon.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

PowerBeard posted:

There is no reason as far as I know not to evolve your Pokémon at the earliest possible convenience when it comes to leveled Pokémon, at any rate. Certain stone Pokémon included.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Skill Link turned Cloyster into a monster due to Icicle Spear and Rock Blast.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
Honestly it would probably be a good idea for them to go to Red's PC, withdraw HM04 and teach Strength to Nidoking. That would make it a bit easier to use Strength when they are in Victory Road, because they'd have two mons that know it. Also, they can't overwrite Surf with it and they'd have a chance of getting rid of Focus Energy.

After that, it would be good to deposit all their key items, since they've no use for any of them anymore and in principle they could clear the item list and have "Cancel" be the only thing on the menu, so that they can't get stuck getting yelled at by Oak in battle so much. That's a pipe dream though.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Mordaedil posted:

There is no reason as far as I know not to evolve your Pokémon at the earliest possible convenience when it comes to leveled Pokémon, at any rate. Certain stone Pokémon included.

most mons learn moves earlier if you dont evolve them

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Mordaedil posted:

Shroomish learns Spore at level 45, which Breloom never learns naturally.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Maybe this is just X/Y but I think pokemon where their evolution is held off get more exp. Also having a level 39 Charizard with Flamethrower is very much worth it.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Hunt11 posted:

Maybe this is just X/Y but I think pokemon where their evolution is held off get more exp.

I think that's new in gen 6.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

What just happened?

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

I feel like I just saw the Truman Show go dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm not watching, did the stream go off?

• Locked thread