Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mogran
Jun 25, 2011

WAFFLEHOUND posted:

So is this basically a PYF thread that wound up in NMD? I can't figure out if there's any actual discussion.

Here's something, does anyone else think the rise of Big Room House is going to lead to an Acid revival? It seems to be kind of pointing that way, a lot of bigger artists have been making some 303-heavy tracks for a while but Big Room's influence has seen Fatboy Slim back in the charts again for the first time in a long time.

I'm still waiting on disco/funk house in the States because Daft Punk couldn't just make Discovery again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywunda
Jun 25, 2003

Cyril Sneer posted:

Do any of you people listen to electroswing?

(I really hope not)

No, but I like a few things that sound similar. I love hearing big band sounds, like horns, clarinets, flutes, piano and poo poo in some tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m2a7MpLHl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js3_LEx0zdg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os6LLuL6ppU

I can listen to tracks like those for hours. My problem is that I'm not skilled/patient enough to find more like it. I wish Homework produced records more like these ones again. Not feeling anything since these 2 tracks.

Boywunda fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 27, 2014

WAFFLEHOUND
Apr 26, 2007

mogran posted:

I'm still waiting on disco/funk house in the States because Daft Punk couldn't just make Discovery again.

Some of the smaller shows I was at in the summer had a huge resurgence of what was basically Electro House with a bass guitar instead of a synth, it was a really interesting and I wish I'd heard more of it since. Made for some really funky elektro in the best possible way. Still a really compressed sound, but it had such a good groove. Then Big Room House ultra-exploded and now it's all there is anywhere. I'm kind of convinced that the big fads are defined by what's easiest to make, and funk is harder.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
New Fear of Tigers track: https://soundcloud.com/fearoftigers/the-legend-of-ian-usher

Not my favourite thing he's ever done.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Any fans of Cashmere Cat itt?

If so, do you think that he is Trippy Turtle?
evidence that he is:
they use the same samples: https://soundcloud.com/trippy-turtle/t-pain-im-sprung-trippy-turtle
Their names, but thats becomong more irrelevant as more people do the ________ animal name scheme.
benZal or whatever said they are the same, but that could be a fakeout
evidence that he isn't:
They both say he isnt, and there is no real evidence that they are the same.

Also, is this a good place for Jersey Club posts? I can't really think of a more relevant thread...

the unabonger fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 1, 2014

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Double post I know, but holy poo poo. James Murphy and the Dewaele Brothers have teamed up to make a "true Balaeric" sound system that looks absolutely outstanding. Its pretty much a ring of some of the nicest looking stacks, and I really want to see it in action.

Pitchfork has a cool article with a nice video with better details than I could ever hope to provide:
http://pitchfork.com/news/51741-watch-james-murphy-in-conversation-about-the-soundsystem-he-designed-with-soulwax/

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

The Fresh Prince posted:

Also, is this a good place for Jersey Club posts? I can't really think of a more relevant thread...

uk bass thread probably more than here.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
i'll keep that in mind!

New Chromeo out today, its supposed to be the first track on the new album. Its poppy.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/naomizeichner/chromeo-jealous

edit: Also that new Jack Beats is out with a video, both are pretty fun
http://thump.vice.com/videos/music-videos/jack-beats-beatbox-official-video:

the unabonger fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 3, 2014

Rass P
Nov 23, 2012

by Ralp

Mike_V posted:

How do people still think that aesthetic is interesting? It was played out like 4 years ago at least.

what, synthwave? it's cool

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The Fresh Prince posted:

Double post I know, but holy poo poo. James Murphy and the Dewaele Brothers have teamed up to make a "true Balaeric" sound system that looks absolutely outstanding. Its pretty much a ring of some of the nicest looking stacks, and I really want to see it in action.

Pitchfork has a cool article with a nice video with better details than I could ever hope to provide:
http://pitchfork.com/news/51741-watch-james-murphy-in-conversation-about-the-soundsystem-he-designed-with-soulwax/

The problem with this sound system is that although it looks great, there's about a billion inherent flaws with the designs used and the layout.

Quotes from an interview here: http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/19/4537724/lcd-soundsystem-frontman-returns-to-his-roots-with-amazing-custom-speaker-set

quote:

A huge 50,000-watt rig has been designed by the trio down to the very last detail, consisting of eight enormous 11-foot speaker stacks, positioned in a circle pointing at the audience in the center. It's been tuned for optimum sound quality, not maximum loudness. "The system is like a dinosaur, if dinosaurs had survived and evolved along with modern creatures," James says.

---

As time went on, smaller, more efficient boxes and drivers were built with minor compromises to the quality but massive advantages in size, power requirements, et cetera. Each time one of these small evolutions happened, there was another small compromise (in my mind) and eventually we wound up with the modern club system. That can range anywhere from a bunch of poo poo piled up and run in the red to make drunk people not hear other drunk people very clearly, all the way to the modern awesome-sounding club / dance PA rigs, which, to my old-dude ears sound totally sweet if you play modern dance music, but don't tend to reproduce ‘Hells Bells’ particularly satisfyingly.

Optimum sound quality, not loudness. If this was the case there wouldn't be 8 separate stacks on the dance floor, you'd have 2 at the very most because music is stereo. Add to this that there'll only be one sweet spot in the room (right in the centre of all the stacks) and you basically have some famous dudes pissing about with speakers.

Murphy may have been an audio engineer but he clearly either doesn't know poo poo about sound systems OR he's using salesman spiel to people who don't know poo poo about sound systems. If your setup is solid to begin with it can be made to play absolutely any genre of music you like with a few EQ tweaks. Hell if your system is good enough that it can play flat from 20hz-20khz then you can hear the recording as Jesus himself intended as it was recorded in the studio.

quote:

All three of us have old Mcintosh amps in our studios and homes. We're longtime fans." David adds: "James is forgetting another very important reason: they look amazing! Those front plates with the blue VU meters are a design classic, and eight humongous stacks with the amps built in and the meters moving in unison will look better than most modern club lighting."

...it seems this setup has been designed more for looks than anything else, it LOOKS impressive but Mcintosh amps are audiophile grade wankery on a system that has had genuinely little thought put into it.

quote:

How closely were you involved with John Klett in the designing of the soundsystem? – it must speak to the engineer in you:

JM: Pretty closely, like I’ve done speakerbox design in the past and I’ve done stuff with and without John [Klett], but I’ll say I did zero math on this, which is unusual for me and is possibly why it got so big. I normally do some of the math.

One of the beauties of this design is that the math is pretty simple on these boxes. You get a driver a speaker and the manufacturer says it needs 1.84 cubic feet and a port of X volume and then you just make a box. And that was the whole point. I make studio monitors for DFA and we made them super simple so that the artists on our label could have a beautiful pair of studio monitors for 700 bucks.

I think it should be more approachable. I get very bored when it has to be made in an anechoic chamber and it’s poly-molded out of a high-carbon bicycle material or boat material. Not that many people are going to be able to get this many McIntosh amps and have this many people working for them and helping build something like this writ large…

JM: I do think it would be nice for me to have a kid – a young person who wants to throw parties and can’t afford the soundsystem – to be able to go online and do some speaker design research. It’s not that hard, you can make them out of MDF – one of the cheapest materials – and in fact it’s a good material to make speakers out of… I don’t know if you would have the same medium density…

So he admits he's made boxes with drivers in them before but on this system has done zero math work which is somewhat important when you're putting drivers in boxes... The thing that gets me is the 'extra' subs sat either side of the stack in a completely different colour/material like they weren't initially part of the design and had to be added afterwards because the original setup was light on bass because he hadn't worked out what was actually going to work.

There is a lot more wrong with that setup than there is right and people in the PA business have taken it to pieces already. It's a real nice 'event' setup as in 'look at our system' but if you were actually going for the best reproduction of sound you'd do pretty much the opposite of this.

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

The Fresh Prince posted:

evidence that he is:
they use the same samples: https://soundcloud.com/trippy-turtle/t-pain-im-sprung-trippy-turtle
Their names, but thats becomong more irrelevant as more people do the ________ animal name scheme.
evidence that he isn't:

Trippy Turtle is Cat's name when he makes bootlegs. At least that's what everyone I know says.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

The Fresh Prince posted:

evidence that he is:
evidence that he isn't:

He isn't trippy turtle. I know who trippy is and have had it confirmed by multiple people as well as GIS. You too can find out through light use of google images and wikipedia, or even through the fans of his facebook page. Please don't post it on the internet though, there is nothing I've found with both names in one place. It is worth finding out who trippy is though because it is pretty funny.

I met dj hoodieboi and djemba djemba the other day as well, nice blokes. I like the whole jersey club thing, but I think the genre is too restricted by itself at the moment.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

88h88 posted:

he's using salesman spiel to people who don't know poo poo about sound systems.

That would be me :negative:

Well poo poo good to know he isn't Cashmere Cat. And after some digging of my own, I think I know hwo he is.

Love DJ hoodboi and Djemba Djemba. What do you mean by the genre is too restricted by itself?

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

The Fresh Prince posted:

That would be me :negative:

Well poo poo good to know he isn't Cashmere Cat. And after some digging of my own, I think I know hwo he is.

Love DJ hoodboi and Djemba Djemba. What do you mean by the genre is too restricted by itself?

Yeah I just searched it and it looks like someones had been posting it recently, so the secrets out.

I know that was a terrible way of putting it, what I mean is there is a lot of slapping those same kicks and bed springs sounds onto random rnb (esp r.kelly) acapellas and then going, yep thats jersey club! The actually successful artists seem to not do this so much in such a basic form but there is a lot of it on soundcloud for sure.

I don't really know much about it so don't take what I say too seriously I just think there should be a bit more variation in the way people produce it.

gucci bane fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 4, 2014

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Simian mobile disco is going to record their new album live and once. Got my tickets for this poo poo.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...y#axzz2uw2uMt60

quote:

For experimental bands looking to broaden their horizons, there's no place like Joshua Tree. Turns out even English dance acts can find some magic in them hills.

Simian Mobile Disco, the longtime London electronica duo, has announced an intriguing new project that's half installation-art, half live album.

On April 26, the duo will commandeer Pappy & Harriet's in Pioneertown, Calif., for a one-off performance that will be recorded for an upcoming new album, "Whorl." The show will nix all laptops, software, samples and vocals -- each member will get only one synthesizer and one sequencer to perform the record.

quote:

Pappy and Harriet's Pioneertown Palace is a hipster, honkytonk, barbecue restaurant and a music venue near Joshua Tree National Park in Pioneertown, California. It can be accessed via California State Route 62 and is four miles northeast of Yucca Valley.
Pioneertown, a faux-Western town in the high desert, was built 25 miles north of Palm Springs, California in 1946 by a group of entertainers for the cowboy actors, Roy Rogers and Gene Autry. "Mane Street" was decorated with facades of a Western saloon, bank, chapel, and a cantina. Pioneertown and its cantina were used in more than 50 films and television programs throughout the 1940s and '50s including The Cisco Kid and Judge Roy Bean.

If you told me, in 2014, two dudes from the UK would fly to joshua tree and record a live album at a bbq restaurant i'd say you're loving insane. But it's being put on by the dudes who do gently caress yeah fest, so it's going to be amazing.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Harley C posted:

Yeah I just searched it and it looks like someones had been posting it recently, so the secrets out.

I know that was a terrible way of putting it, what I mean is there is a lot of slapping those same kicks and bed springs sounds onto random rnb (esp r.kelly) acapellas and then going, yep thats jersey club! The actually successful artists seem to not do this so much in such a basic form but there is a lot of it on soundcloud for sure.

I don't really know much about it so don't take what I say too seriously I just think there should be a bit more variation in the way people produce it.

thats definitely a valid complaint. I'd guess that that just the type of sound that got Jersey Club really popular. I highly recommend going to Datpiff and finding some of the Bleszt/DJ Jayhood/ Brick Bandits stuff, its definitely got a cooler vibe.

edit: heres an insanely good mix by sinjin hawke:
https://soundcloud.com/i-d-online-1/sinjin-hawke-i-d

the unabonger fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Mar 9, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I'm looking for a weekly (or at least somewhat current) podcast that plays new/awesome interesting electronic/house music. I'm a big fan of the songs in this thread but I especially love the Ed Banger guys, Simian Mobile, Flume, Danger, etc. Anything like that exist out there?

I'm having difficulty finding electronic podcast that don't sound like the Tiesto/Avicii ones.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Idk about updating weekly, none of these do, but heres some podcasts you might like:
Sound Pellegrino Podcast, The Fools Gold Foolscast, The Ed Banger Podcast, Mad Decent Worldwide Radio, and The Trouble and Bass Smashcast.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
What about internet radio? I know of DI.FM and I guess Soma.FM but I was wondering what else is good out there.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Theres usually something good on Rinse.fm

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

The Fresh Prince posted:

Theres usually something good on Rinse.fm

Rinse isn't going to have anything like he wants.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Posted this in the techno thread but seeing as how most of it is house/90s house in it I thought maybe people here would like it.

https://soundcloud.com/bwvmixes/mix-01-march-2014

Second track is the new White Material. Really love that label right now.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
^ White Material is some good poo poo.

Another Canadian label I'm really feeling recently is Mood Hut out of Vancouver. One of their artists, Pender Street Steppers, sounds like what might happen if Moon B had a house moniker. Warm, punchy, easygoing, simple, low-slung, analog house.

These two just came out recently on PPU and Mood Hut respectively:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdYb2gh3sz0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b86Qth_k5Vk

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

Dopo posted:

^ White Material is some good poo poo.

Another Canadian label
(White Material is NY / Rhode Island based)

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

a milk crime posted:

(White Material is NY / Rhode Island based)

Isn't it joint US/Berlin with DJ Richard out of Berlin?

Anyway, here is the track I've been loving

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RWKLpxbZVU

And more Canadian love (albeit a bit older)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfD-JE7TgOI

VVVVV My bad I was just confused cause I got introduced to them from the mixes on Berlin Community Radio

BWV fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 13, 2014

a milk crime
Jun 30, 2007

Murky Waters
big business man

BWV posted:

Isn't it joint US/Berlin with DJ Richard out of Berlin?

Yeah, sure, you could say that, though Quinn does all of the legwork / stamping etc from his place in NY, and Richard is from NY. Whatever though not like it matters a ton.

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Oh, my b. I thought they were in Toronto. Maybe they just did a party there recently.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Dopo posted:

Oh, my b. I thought they were in Toronto. Maybe they just did a party there recently.

They played in Kensington Market last weekend. but it was a secret

Dopo
Jul 23, 2004
Yeah, twitter was abuzz. I heard good things. Wow, this thread is really rolling today.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
White Material in Toronto was amazing, really good music. Great label, really digging everything they are doing.

New Galcher Lustwerk is streaming on XLR8R: http://www.xlr8r.com/news/2014/03/stream-galcher-lustwerks-nu-day-

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
Hey y'all, I don't normally post here since I've only just begun to dip my toes into the wider genre of... synth-based music, I guess? I feel like I might've posted once or twice before in here asking for recommendations similar to Annie's The A&R EP because it goes in and was probably one of my favourite releases of last year! This, of course, brought me to Florrie, who is similarly excellent synthpop. (This is the correct thread for that, right?)

And, guess what, friends? "Seashells" from the forthcoming Sirens EP apparently dropped on the seventh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oey-lMKWrPw

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
New teaser for Quack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=az9VJhDO9Cw

lol

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
double posting to say that if you aren't paying attention to Bot's new solo career you're missing out on some good stuff.
His remix of BBB is pretty drat nice, reminds me of older Crookers stuff, and this remix he did with Astronomar is also pretty good. I like Bot's recent stuff way more than Phra's recent work as Crookers.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Triple posting to say that the new Klaxons sounds quite a bit like they took elements from each of the previous albums and then decided to sound a little more pop as well. IMO the second song they released off the new album is the better one, but the first one is definitely good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzvipIMj9NM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5BUAdJD9mM

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Danger's unveiled sheet music for what I can assume from the song title is a new track.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

CaptainYesterday posted:

Danger's unveiled sheet music for what I can assume from the song title is a new track.

Danger uses sheet music?! :stare:

That's really good news, though.

Hammsturabi
Dec 25, 2003
Law 54: If a house collapses, and the owners hamster should die, the builders hamster shall be put to death.
He might have printed it, and made it look well-used, just for this purpose. Pretty cool idea, either way. If you have a piano, you can preview the song!

Also, his profile picture on Twitter now says "Danger July 2013 - available on April 28th 2014" (which is Danger's typically confusing way of saying an album called "July 2013" will be available on April 28th).

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Tonight I saw The Glitch Mob live for the first time at a festival, and they were quite possibly the greatest live electronic act I have ever seen outside of Pendulum. They had the crowd going insane for like an hour and a half straight, never letting up.

Their stage setup was weird as hell too. I watched them set up and their whole setup was rolled out in one piece with a tarp over it. The stage techs would go underneath the tarp to set up various thing but they would never show anyone in the crowd was under it. Then when Glitch Mob were ready to start, the techs pulled away the tarps to reveal what looked like converted treadmills that didn't move (the guys stood on them throughout the whole show) and on the fronts of them they each had 4 screens and 1 smaller screen. I couldn't tell if they were iPads or JazzMutant Lemurs or what. They each had multiple bars on them and each bar would trigger a sample or a MIDI note, and that's how they played their entire set. No synthesizers and no laptops, just that. Oh and they also had these MIDI drum pads that sat in the middle of this big casing that looked like a cross between a bass drum and a professional stage light. And they'd light up in sync with the visuals for the set. There's 3 guys in the band and they each had identical treadmill/MIDI drum setups, although they each triggered different parts.

It was really something, and just added to the insanity of the music. It was a hell of an experience, and I would absolutely recommend it if they come near you. I checked their site and they're touring the US for another month and a half or so and then touring Europe for a while. And they're playing Bonnaroo, Electric Forest and Osheaga festivals.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I just got tickets to see Tiga and Green Velvet in San Francisco, and am very excited. Last time I saw Tiga he was outstanding, and I've heard that Green Velvet is pretty good live too. Anyone else going?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead cowboy
Jan 31, 2006

I DRINK YOUR MILKSHAKE
I DRINK IT UP

Massive

https://soundcloud.com/theshadowchild/eli-fur-with-shadow-child