Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama
So I really loved Lucio Fulci's City of the Living Dead (Wikipedia) and now I'm going to check out the other two in what Wikipedia is calling his Gates of Hell trilogy:
The Beyond
The House by the Cemetery

I'm really pumped, and I hope they live up to City of the Living Dead's general weirdness. I highly suggest that movie to anyone who hasn't seen it and who has the stomach to deal with some well-done gore. Very unsettling and fun watch. Yes this is the movie with the actress that (spoiled just in case people don't want to ruin the surprise) supposedly really consumed sheep entrails for a scene where she vomits them up later.

I think it was actually this thread that recommended it at some point to me-- thanks goons. Hopefully I can pass on the legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

BLUNDERCATS! noooo posted:

So I really loved Lucio Fulci's City of the Living Dead (Wikipedia) and now I'm going to check out the other two in what Wikipedia is calling his Gates of Hell trilogy:
The Beyond

The Beyond is maybe in the all-time top 20 of great horror films.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

The Beyond

I'm really pumped, and I hope they live up to City of the Living Dead's general weirdness. I highly suggest that movie to anyone who hasn't seen it and who has the stomach to deal with some well-done gore. Very unsettling and fun watch. Yes this is the movie with the actress that (spoiled just in case people don't want to ruin the surprise) supposedly really consumed sheep entrails for a scene where she vomits them up later.

I think it was actually this thread that recommended it at some point to me-- thanks goons. Hopefully I can pass on the legacy.

I saw that back when video stores where a thing. Its really worth the time. Boring but if you are bored already and drunk they make good movies

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

drat right it is. Amazing metaphysical madness slathered in heaps of Fulci physical defilement. If you enjoyed City of the Living Dead's weirdness you'll definitely savour The Beyond's tone.

ynohtna fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 27, 2014

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Hollismason posted:

The only good movie he's made is Devil's Rejects, everything else has been garbage. He can't realize his vision. He only ever gets half way there.

I wouldn't go so far as to call his other stuff "garbage", it's just really disappointing next to Devil's Rejects.

I actually kind of wish that Rob Zombie would remake House of 1000 Corpses to have the same tone as Devil's Rejects, like have it be mostly gritty grindhouse horror, played completely straight, with moments of dark comedy. Ho1KC as it is now is basically a big, unfunny carnival ride. It just tries way too hard to be funny, to be shocking and to be scary and fails at all three.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

The Beyond

Even though I like all three, City of the Living Dead is the one I would rate as my least favorite! I'm sure that you will like the remaining two.

If you want to expand your Fulci watchlist, make sure to check out New York Ripper and Don't Torture a Duckling

Dr.Caligari fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Feb 27, 2014

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Ended up doing something of a horror marathon the past couple of days, trying to plow through some of the films I've picked up but haven't gotten around to watching yet. Fell asleep during the opening scenes of Moontrap, but the ones I remained conscious for have been pretty good, on average. Today I ended up on a vampire streak (From Dusk 'Til Dawn 3, 30 Days Of Night, and The Fearless Vampire Hunters, which was fantastic), and while I've got a few more left in the box, I'd like to go ahead and get some more recommendations, because they really go well with this cold weather.

The thing is, I'd really like them to fit these criteria points: A) That the vampires remain human in appearance (little to no 'vamp faces') and B) That the vampirism is treated as some kind of curse, rather than a blood virus.
Any suggestions?

v: initial checking makes this sound great, thanks for the tip!

e: Plus if anyone has some thoughts on The Man Who Laughs, The Beast With Five Fingers, or Battle Royale II, I'd love to hear them, just because they were part of the last few days' viewing material, and I'm still thinking through them.

Darthemed fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Feb 27, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Ended up doing something of a horror marathon the past couple of days, trying to plow through some of the films I've picked up but haven't gotten around to watching yet. Fell asleep during the opening scenes of Moontrap, but the ones I remained conscious for have been pretty good, on average. Today I ended up on a vampire streak (From Dusk 'Til Dawn 3, 30 Days Of Night, and The Fearless Vampire Hunters, which was fantastic), and while I've got a few more left in the box, I'd like to go ahead and get some more recommendations, because they really go well with this cold weather.

The thing is, I'd really like them to fit these criteria points: A) That the vampires remain human in appearance (little to no 'vamp faces') and B) That the vampirism is treated as some kind of curse, rather than a blood virus.
Any suggestions?

Near Dark, Near Dark, Near loving Dark

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

The Beyond

Yeah if you liked City Of The Living Dead, you'll enjoy the other two, especially The Beyond. Also, people often overlook Manhatten Baby, but it has the same sort of feel and theme of logic and space and time breaking down.

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

Does City of the Living Dead also have a scene where someone gets cut apart on a table saw?.

acephalousuniverse
Nov 4, 2012

The Senator Giroux posted:

Does City of the Living Dead also have a scene where someone gets cut apart on a table saw?.

Are you thinking of the head drill?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.

The Senator Giroux posted:

The big thing in City that I remember is the (don't read this if you want the absolute :stonk: shock of an insane scene) intestine barfing scene.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

leokitty posted:

You are the first person I've come across who has seen Diary of the Dead and not only liked it but called it "great".

Seriously. I love me some lovely found footage movies and I've seen alot of bad ones, but Diary is amongst the worst I've seen. In found footage it's an unspoken goal to just kind of make the audience accept that the characters would be filming this. Without the characters filming there wouldn't be a movie so that poo poo just needs to happen. The audience should be prepared to suspend their disbelief but in turn the movie shouldn't really draw attention to the moments where a person would just put the camera down. DotD makes the movie about how dumb it is that characters would be filming. It has constant scenes where characters are asked why they're are filming and it's treated as a profound question rather than the thing that's causing the movie to exist. It just gets painful after a while because while in most found footage movies I can be won over with a stupid "I don't know what else to do" or some other throw away excuse, DotD constantly doesn't accept this and wants to make us wonder why the characters are filming and think it's interesting by not giving us a clear answer without realizing the answer becomes "because it's in the scripts and otherwise there wouldn't be a movie". You can't create a dumb situation and act like the reason it's dumb is something profound.

It all wants to be some sort of comment on the generation of kids that post everything online but it just comes off like an old man shaking his fist at something he doesn't understand and has no desire to understand.

tl;dr: It's a bad movie that tries to be about how bad it is, but in the end it's still bad.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Feb 27, 2014

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Volume posted:

Movies with witches that I should watch. GO!

You know, somehow I think no one managed to mention Rosemary's Baby in the responses to this. It's on Netflix Streaming and it's a classic. Not the scariest movie but just an excellent film overall.

Of the ones mentioned I like Suspiria the best if you can get hold of it, I saw the butchered Netflix streaming version when it was on there and I still thought it was great. Can't say I cared much for the sequels. And I also liked Lords of Salem.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Alright, you guys are right, Diary of the Dead had nothing to say. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go upload a video of my day to youtube and link it on Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr... (yes, I'm being facetious)

You guys want me to go into full defense mode? Fine, it's been a while since I flexed the muscles I gained in film school anyways.

George Romero is a tricky director. He himself admits he's heavy handed and just likes to throw zombies at whatever societal problem he sees. Also, as I've said earlier in the thread, his films rarely seem good at the outset and age like wine. Day of the dead was hated by critics and fans when it came out. Even I strongly disliked Land of the Dead at first, and people have been coming around to it in the last few years. Look at the outrage in Roger Ebert's infamous Reader's Digest review of Night of the Living Dead. Romero is someone whose work you have to look at from a distance to appreciate, and diary is no exception.

First, I'd like to point to all of Romero's past themes pop up in small ways in Diary, including the breakdown of the familial unit of Night, Dawn's pointed stab at consumerism, Day and Land's untrustworthy corruption of the political and military industry, even the 90's Night's clinging to the past's values. That said, it is it's own animal, obviously. Also obvious is that the film is an indictment of the 21st century's internet reporting obsessed youtube generation wherein everything is documented. Seven years on, this vainglorious nature of documenting our own lives and attempting to report everything we see as news has only become more exasperated. Were the Kitty Genovese incident to happen today, instead of everyone simply watching from afar, they'd be all holding their cellphones, videotaping her brutalization. The mundaneness of people filming every move they make in today's culture has remarkably rendered the film as one of Romero's least heavy-handed films rather accidentally (aside from the needless coda at the end that shoves a "we're the REAL monsters!" schtick in your face.)

A previous post complained that the characters have no reason to keep filming, yet says he believed other found footage films asking the same questions more reasonable in their excuse to keep holding the camera. A guy constantly annoying his girlfriend constantly while she angrily tells him to stop filming their personal moments seems more reasonable than a student film crew deciding to film a documentary for posterity with the guidance of their mentor/professor? If you say so. This crew and their excuses is in fact the secondary "mirror" that Romero is shining at modern culture.

I would argue that he is quite clearly mocking the "Camcorder Coppola" movement that had started in the 80's with promise but had built to that point where the current generation of film kids all thought they could get an easy ticket to Hollywood with their backyard no-budget zombie movies, following in the lightning-in-a-bottle footsteps Romero himself made, forgetting that he and his crew had been working for years in the industry, making ads and industrial films before deciding to make a commercial low-budget film, and already had all the knowledge and tools under their belt. Hell, I was one of these kids thinking it was an easy path to fame at the time, but now I know that for the most part, nobody's ever going to care about your little crummy zombie movie you made with your friends, and even less are going to watch it. Even worse, just filming everything you see like you'll become the next big documentary superstar overlooks the entire nature of how documentaries are made, often with a "plot" figured out beforehand and even limited scripting, and most importantly and intensely large amount of editing to create the story you want. These kids in the film are just one more group of clueless film students thinking that making real movies is easy and they'll be on the path to fame and riches in no time. (As a sidebar, can I point out the cleverness in their no-budget horror subject? In a world where Night of the Living Dead never was a movie, people apparently go in their backyards with their friends to film mummy movies!)

I really don't get the hate for the film, I would rank it the best of the three "Dead" films Romero has made in the 21st century at least, and maybe even above the Night remake in the ranks. 4th place out of 7 Dead films isn't too bad.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Choco1980 posted:

A previous post complained that the characters have no reason to keep filming, yet says he believed other found footage films asking the same questions more reasonable in their excuse to keep holding the camera. A guy constantly annoying his girlfriend constantly while she angrily tells him to stop filming their personal moments seems more reasonable than a student film crew deciding to film a documentary for posterity with the guidance of their mentor/professor? If you say so. This crew and their excuses is in fact the secondary "mirror" that Romero is shining at modern culture.

You misunderstood me, it's not so much about the excuse as much as it is about drawing attention to the fact. "Why are the characters still filming" is something you want to try your best to avoid drawing attention to because the answer is always "because otherwise there wouldn't be a movie". DotD rather than trying to draw attention away from this question, makes it the center of the movie but the answer as to why the characters are filming in the end is still "because otherwise there wouldn't be a movie".

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Diary of the Dead is the hell lovely found-footage films go to when they die.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

axleblaze posted:

You misunderstood me, it's not so much about the excuse as much as it is about drawing attention to the fact. "Why are the characters still filming" is something you want to try your best to avoid drawing attention to because the answer is always "because otherwise there wouldn't be a movie". DotD rather than trying to draw attention away from this question, makes it the center of the movie but the answer as to why the characters are filming in the end is still "because otherwise there wouldn't be a movie".

I disagree. Unlike most found footage films, Diary seems to be actively seeking out its audience at the same time as it's filming. Most found footage films are simply that: found. Usually the filmmakers are like, using their cameras to catch a ghost or something dopey like that, and we have no connection to the film other than someone else found it and is showing us it, if that as some FF movies don't even bother explaining where the footage came from, which totally ruins immersion. These guys are uploading as soon as they film, they're trying to make a document of what's going on around them. At least 75% of found footage films I've seen at one point or another ask the person why they are filming or to put down the camera. This is one of very few I can think of where there's a good reason why they still are filming.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

The only thing good about Diary of the Dead is that at least it's not Survival of the Dead.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Mouser.. posted:

The only thing good about Diary of the Dead is that at least it's not Survival of the Dead.

You've got that backwards.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Am I weird cause I liked Lords of Salem more than the Evil Dead remake?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Golem II posted:

No, that's entirely the right opinion.

Evil Dead remake is just okay, Lords of Salem is the best horror movie of the year.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

No, that's entirely the right opinion.

Evil Dead remake is just okay, Lords of Salem is the best horror movie of the year.

Yea, as someone who REALLY liked both, Lords of Salem is an all-time great for me whereas Evil Dead was just a lot of fun to watch. But they are both in my top-3 horror movies of the year.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Choco1980 posted:

I really don't get the hate for the film, I would rank it the best of the three "Dead" films Romero has made in the 21st century at least, and maybe even above the Night remake in the ranks. 4th place out of 7 Dead films isn't too bad.

I just thought it was aggressively mediocre myself, but "above" the Tom Savini Night of the Living Dead? You're out of your mind, Diary doesn't even come close. I haven't even seen Survival, but Diary was even worse than Land of the Dead. The only thing Land had going for it was that it was at least entertaining on some level.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's not like I don't sympathize. I think Sleepaway Camp II is capital-G Great. That can be a hard row to hoe.

If you hate fun maybe

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

Well, clearly my previous statement of "gently caress all y'all" still stands on this issue.

*drops shades and moonwalks out the door*

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Land of the Dead is sooooo bad. There's not a single redeeming thing about it.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Golem II posted:

I'm with you, LoS is a lot better IMHO. ED remake was kind of fun to watch but overall I was rather disappointed in it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Golem II posted:

Considering the Evil Dead remake wasn't very good, that seems reasonable.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Land of the Dead is sooooo bad. There's not a single redeeming thing about it.

Land of the Dead is actually pretty dope, Survival and Diary are the irredeemable ones.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm a Fulci fan overall, but The Beyond is his only film I'd recommend absolutely unconditionally. It's his apex.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

I'm a Fulci fan overall, but The Beyond is his only film I'd recommend absolutely unconditionally. It's his apex.

Fulci's a guy like Carpenter that I've come to appreciate more as a jack-of-all-trades genre guy than strictly a horror guy, but yeah any way you slice it The Beyond's his best film (although the more I think about it, Don't Torture A Duckling is reeeeeeal close).

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Fulci's a guy like Carpenter that I've come to appreciate more as a jack-of-all-trades genre guy than strictly a horror guy, but yeah any way you slice it The Beyond's his best film (although the more I think about it, Don't Torture A Duckling is reeeeeeal close).

Four of the Apocalypse would edge it out for me except it's tanked by a godawful soundtrack (funny thing about spaghetti westerns, they either have great or awful scores), and I liked The House of Clocks waaaaay more than I expected to, but for me The Beyond is the only one without some fairly major caveat somewhere along the way.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

penismightier posted:

Four of the Apocalypse would edge it out for me except it's tanked by a godawful soundtrack (funny thing about spaghetti westerns, they either have great or awful scores), and I liked The House of Clocks waaaaay more than I expected to, but for me The Beyond is the only one without some fairly major caveat somewhere along the way.

I don't really remember the score to Four of the Apocalypse, but I almost mentioned how Fabio Frizzi's score to The Beyond is a huge part of what sets it at the peak of the Fulci filmography (although I think Zombi 2, while not as good a movie, has an even better Frizzi score).

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

(although I think Zombi 2, while not as good a movie, has an even better Frizzi score).

Oh man, totally agreed. This is just loving killer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39szQy3TcH4

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

acephalousuniverse posted:

Are you thinking of the head drill?

You're absolutely right. It's been a long time since I saw that movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Land of the Dead is actually pretty dope, Survival and Diary are the irredeemable ones.

Yeah, Land owns. Like an idiot I immediately started thinking of redeeming things about it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
For one, Big Daddy is better than every character in Diary and Survival.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

For one, Big Daddy is better than every character in Diary and Survival.

For two, it has John Leguizamo and Dennis Hopper in scenery-chew mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

axleblaze posted:

Considering the Evil Dead remake wasn't very good, that seems reasonable.

When I first saw Evil Dead remake I thought it was great. I really did. Then as I thought more of it and went to go see it again I realized it's just ok.