Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

Hace posted:

Oh man, it looks like we might actually get a nice animation budget this time.

I hope so, but it might just be that they spent a lot on animating the stuff in the PV and not on the rest of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

K. Flaps posted:

I hope so, but it might just be that they spent a lot on animating the stuff in the PV and not on the rest of the show.

Considering that they didn't even have enough of a budget to fluff up the trailers for Part 1, this is still an improvement.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

On one hand I would love better animation, on the other hand though, part of what I loved about the anime was how well they used the really cheap animation.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Fiend Computer posted:

part of what I loved about the anime was how well they used the really cheap animation.

I do give them kudos for this. The thing is though, on repeat viewings, the corner-cutting tends to be more noticeable. Lots of stills, close-ups, limited movement, etc. That sort of thing.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:

Thoren posted:

Uhh so I got to 160-something in part 3 and the only translations are the really bad quality ones.

Am I out of luck?

Vol 18-26 are pretty bad, I released volume 17 myself back in January. There didn't seem to be a ton of interest at the time so I haven't started on vol 18 yet, but I'll probably get around to it eventually.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
For anyone not in the know, recently there's been a series of Kanzenban (think deluxe edition) releases for the series called Jojonium. And at the end of each volume there's a section with information about the series from Araki himself. And someone on tumblr translated the one from the first volume and it talks about character creation for the series.

Y'all can read it here http://zehimonashi.tumblr.com/post/77549619685/jojonium-1-hirohiko-araki-speaks-about-character

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I just finished Part 5 after getting bored of it at White Album a few months ago. Can someone explain to me why Bruno was a zombie? Also what happened to Diavolo at the end? Did his ability gently caress up when he died or something?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CJ posted:

I just finished Part 5 after getting bored of it at White Album a few months ago. Can someone explain to me why Bruno was a zombie? Also what happened to Diavolo at the end? Did his ability gently caress up when he died or something?

King Crimson skipped over the moment that Bucciarati died, so it didn't actually happen, and he just sort of had to rot to "death" instead.

Diavolo's deal was kind of weird. I'm assuming what GER was going on about was just bad translation, and in reality what happened was just Giorno's weird mind/body desync you saw all of like once against Bruno getting powered up. I figure he's dying, and GER got his mind stuck in a pre-death dream state for however long it takes to slow down.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Pomp posted:

King Crimson skipped over the moment that Bucciarati died, so it didn't actually happen, and he just sort of had to rot to "death" instead.

Diavolo's deal was kind of weird. I'm assuming what GER was going on about was just bad translation, and in reality what happened was just Giorno's weird mind/body desync you saw all of like once against Bruno getting powered up. I figure he's dying, and GER got his mind stuck in a pre-death dream state for however long it takes to slow down.

But i thought King Crimson's ability prevented stuff from happening within the skipped time? When Aerosmith shoots him he skips forward so the bullets pass through him and hit the guy on the other side of him. How come Diavolo isn't a zombie? And if he can just kill anyone in the time skip why doesn't he just always do that since they won't be able to react.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
King Crimson's ability prevents the effects of whatever actions happened in the skipped time, but the actions still happen. The bullets still passed through his head, but they did nothing. Bruno was already dying, but since the moment where his body gave out was in the skip, he didn't actually feel the effects of his death.

Diavolo can't actually do anything in the time skip either! It's not like The World, where he's free to move around - Diavolo's advantage stems from the fact that he's the only person aware that time is going to skip, and that he's able to predict other's actions. He comes out the other side primed, and swinging, everyone else comes out disoriented and confused.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Bruno was a zombie because Diavolo killed him when they first fought and then Giorno tried to bring him back to life with his powers. Gold Experience can turn inanimate objects into living things, but it has the specific limitation that it can't bring back the dead. Instead, it transformed Bruno's corpse into something that was animate and "alive", but was sustained because of Gold Experience rather than its own bodily functions and was essentially a zombie that was possessed by Bruno's soul for a few days until he finally slipped away.

As for Diavolo, he got hit by GER's ability, which is to prevent things from reaching their conclusion. Basically, getting punched into the Tiber was fatal, so he is destined to die and the universe is actively trying to kill him in order to fulfill that destiny. However, every time he dies GER's ability kicks in and rewinds his fate so that he's still alive, but only moments away from death.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I thought it had to do with Bruno not dying the way Rolling Stone predicted.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Bruno didn't die because he was too loving badass to let some minor thing like death affect him, and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Cerebral Bore posted:

Bruno didn't die because he was too loving badass to let some minor thing like death affect him, and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise.

No matter what Araki says this will always be true in my heart.

As for Diavolo, his shtick was all how results matter, not how you get there, so his Stand is all about time-skipping and the confusing poo poo he does during time-skips. GER is its polar opposite, it removes the result but keeps the action leading up to it hence why it's effectively immune to King Crimson and can nullify it.

VVV Part 3 ends with Jotaro learning that he can also stop time and being able to beat him only because of that. Also learning to fly or something? Compared to that using the established power-up arrow to power yourself up to beat the antagonist isn't quite as out of nowhere.

a cartoon duck fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Feb 23, 2014

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I like my version better than GER having some new deus ex machina power. :colbert:

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Uznare posted:

For anyone not in the know, recently there's been a series of Kanzenban (think deluxe edition) releases for the series called Jojonium. And at the end of each volume there's a section with information about the series from Araki himself. And someone on tumblr translated the one from the first volume and it talks about character creation for the series.

Y'all can read it here http://zehimonashi.tumblr.com/post/77549619685/jojonium-1-hirohiko-araki-speaks-about-character

Man, Jonathan looks weird in the new style. Also Dio looks like Doppio.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Yeah, feels a bit weird to abandon the muscly style for the old characters "just because".

Does he got a new team of assistants or something? :colbert:

Ledgy
Aug 1, 2013

Up against the wall

Pimpmust posted:

Yeah, feels a bit weird to abandon the muscly style for the old characters "just because".

Does he got a new team of assistants or something? :colbert:

It's been like 15 years that he doesn't draw like that anymore. He drew them in his new artstyle, that's all.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, when you're a manga artist, you draw a LOT and drawing in your current style pretty much becomes a reflex. i think Araki has said that it's actually impossible for him to draw in the Part 1 style.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Oh please, you don't just lose your ability to draw beefy anatomy and even if you did you could try drawing differently once in a while.

e: Not saying it would come out looking like volume 1-3, but it would be nice with a little extra range in character builds.

The obvious answer is that it's way hard to get decent reference material from the fashion industry, and now movies have kinda stopped doing beefmountains too. Oh 80ies, why did you abandon us :colbert:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 23, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Pimpmust posted:

Oh please, you don't just lose your ability to draw beefy anatomy and even if you did you could try drawing differently once in a while.

Araki hasn't drawn beefy characters for a decade and every time he draws older characters they end up being significantly slimmer and prettier. Hell just look at the Japanese box art for Heritage for the Future, he's been doing the more defined style since the late 90s. He would need to practice to draw characters like that again and why would he really when his current artwork is fantastic?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Pimpmust posted:

e: Not saying it would come out looking like volume 1-3, but it would be nice with a little extra range in character builds.

The obvious answer is that it's way hard to get decent reference material from the fashion industry, and now movies have kinda stopped doing beefmountains too. Oh 80ies, why did you abandon us :colbert:

He only needs to watch a few FOTN re-runs and it will come back to him.

Perhaps he is just not comfortable using a style that heavily cribbed from someone else instead of the one he developed himself.

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon
I actually prefer his current style, it makes more since for weaker looking characters to use their environment to their advantage than Randy Savage & buddies that could just walk up and punch the poo poo out of anyone.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Rewatched a couple of episodes of the anime today, and going from Jolyne straight up loving murdering that lawyer to Jonathan's gentle rear end calmly holding Dio on the boat is some whiplash.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Jolyne's the best, just wait until her ex enters the story again.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Man, her ex got really hosed that time and he was actually being a nice dude and supportive.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

That's what I really liked about scene. He wasn't just some two-bit douchebag, he was honestly regretful over ruining his girlfriend's life to get on with his own, but at that point Jolyne went through so many near-death situations that I honestly couldn't begrudge her for getting in some cheap revenge.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The bottom line is that if Jolyne Kujo is coming for your rear end, you better get ready for a pounding.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pomp posted:

Rewatched a couple of episodes of the anime today, and going from Jolyne straight up loving murdering that lawyer to Jonathan's gentle rear end calmly holding Dio on the boat is some whiplash.

Alleviate that to a middle ground by watching Joseph being his ultra awesome but sorta-douchy self.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
European release date for All Star Battle announced along with the first two DLC characters

Yay, Killer Queen's keeping its name :allears:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Josuke's stand has also been renamed to Shining Diamond, which is an alright name change.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'm personally waiting to see what they rename King Crimson / Red Ruler / Magenta Monarch / Raspberry Raja / Scarlet Czar / Terra-Cotta Tyrant.

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer
I wish (not for the first time) that US copyright laws weren't so despotic.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

CodfishCartographer posted:

I'm personally waiting to see what they rename King Crimson / Red Ruler / Magenta Monarch / Raspberry Raja / Scarlet Czar / Terra-Cotta Tyrant.

Maybe they'll go the Stephen King route and just change it to Crimson King.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
We're probably getting a new PV tomorrow right?

onepixeljumpman
Jun 23, 2010

In a world where one bear has a shotgun: Fuck.

Kurtofan posted:

We're probably getting a new PV tomorrow right?

For those of us in the States, Abdul's PV should be out sometime a little past midnight tonight.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
New PV :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NXgHW_XBsc

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Jesus the animation looks so much better compared to season 1.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
The new track sounds dope, the animation looks dope, everything is dope.

COME ON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Jesus the animation looks so much better compared to season 1.

I'm getting so hype for the new part 3 series. From this PV alone it looks like they are going to capture the terror of meeting an extremely powerful and charismatic tyrant in the dead of night.

• Locked thread