Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

The Mad Archivist posted:

So I still think I will do a mod to expand the range of comments made by vanilla follower voicetypes, but I just feel like warning you now that not every voicetype was made equal, so some are just necessarily going to have more to say than others. I will probably roll it into a compilation that includes the three followers I've made so far.

You are still a beautiful person for attempting this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
So I just reinstalled this and the hi-res texture pack.

Am I correct in thinking I should install:

SKSE
Mod Organizer
BOSS
Wrye Bash
TESVEdit

THEN install:

Unofficial Skyrim Patch and Unofficial hi-res pack patch?

BOSS will then sort the load order for me?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Only the MO needs to be installed first as it uses its own magic to install mods, for the rest the order doesn't really matter.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Guys, I was doing the quest for East Empire Company where I'm supposed to go to some island to kill some magic pirate or whatever that apparently is somewhere outside the normal gamespace. I went to sleep in one of the houses there (like an idiot, I know) and got teleported into some shack because I started the Dark Brotherhood questline earlier. So now I can't go back to the fog island to finish that EEC quest, help? It doesn't have a marker on the map and the ship is gone from Windhelm. I checked the uesp wiki, but it only lists console commands to teleport out of there, kinda the opposite of what I want.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

Guys, I was doing the quest for East Empire Company where I'm supposed to go to some island to kill some magic pirate or whatever that apparently is somewhere outside the normal gamespace. I went to sleep in one of the houses there (like an idiot, I know) and got teleported into some shack because I started the Dark Brotherhood questline earlier. So now I can't go back to the fog island to finish that EEC quest, help? It doesn't have a marker on the map and the ship is gone from Windhelm. I checked the uesp wiki, but it only lists console commands to teleport out of there, kinda the opposite of what I want.

Open up the console and type in
code:
coc JaphetsFollyOrigin
That should send you back.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Has anyone experienced this?

Trying to install MO and getting:

---------------------------
Mod Organizer 1.1.2 Setup
Error opening file for writing:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Mod Organizer\ModOrganizer.exe

Click Abort to stop the installation,

Retry to try again, or

Ignore to skip this file.
Abort Retry Ignore

Downloaded the file a few times, same result.

Weird. Will try the zip file instead.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
Don't install in program files.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Is it just me or do towns and cities in Elder Scrolls games feel like they're not big enough, even after adding on mods?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Crazy Ted posted:

Is it just me or do towns and cities in Elder Scrolls games feel like they're not big enough, even after adding on mods?

Depends on what game you're talking about. Skyrim's cities felt spookily small even compared with Oblivion's.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Has anybody been successfully using Open Cities Skyrim since the SKSE memory fix came out?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Crazy Ted posted:

They are comically small, but would you really want to walk past 20 blocks of houses to get to the blacksmith's shop every time you visited a realistically scaled Whiterun? It would be more realistic but it would be monotonous and unfun.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

While I was thinking about that last topic, it looks like in the last few weeks someone put up a mod that lets you rebuild Winterhold to what it was before the Great Collapse.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Also with the scale of the world some cities would bump up against each other (not to mention nearby dungeons) if you scaled them up to the "appropriate" size.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

It's all been downhill since Daggerfall.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Would a mod that doubled the scale of the world's terrain be a practical endeavour? Obviously you'd have to make a lot of manual adjustments to make cities and other structures still fit, but mountains would be properly mountainous, and even something as blah as the approach to Whiterun would be pretty dramatic.

apple orchard of dreams
Jun 18, 2001
I'm following the STEP guide. I'm trying to install SkyUI through Mod Organizer but the external installer crashes whenever I try. Is it ok to manually install SkyUI or will it mess up the load order when I use wyre bash?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

pun pundit posted:

Also with the scale of the world some cities would bump up against each other (not to mention nearby dungeons) if you scaled them up to the "appropriate" size.

You'd have to scale everything.
Modern hardware could probably handle it, but you'd probably get hella bored just on your first walk to Riverwood.

It's the same reason dungeons and castles in Skyrim and buildings in every FPS ever don't have realistic and practical layouts with bedrooms and things in sensible places, you'd get bored and lost walking down identical corridors past rooms that don't matter.

Realism isn't as cool as you think it will be.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Feb 27, 2014

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Scyantific posted:

Open up the console and type in
code:
coc JaphetsFollyOrigin
That should send you back.

Yes! Thanks!

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

Entropic posted:

You'd have to scale everything.
Modern hardware could probably handle it, but you'd probably get hella bored just on your first walk to Riverwood.

It's the same reason dungeons and castles in Skyrim and buildings in every FPS ever don't have realistic and practical layouts with bedrooms and things in sensible places, you'd get bored and lost walking down identical corridors past rooms that don't matter.

Realism isn't as cool as you think it will be.

Yeah, relative to the land around it, whiterun/solitude et al do look like large cities that take up an appropriate amount of area when seen in context with their surroundings, but not so much that they sprawl across the land and ruin the feel.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I've just bought a new PC so rather than having to migrate all my files over I've decided to redownload everything. As far as I'm aware I've done everything the same as I did last time, but MO refuses to load certain mods, notable Character Creation Overhaul. Other than downloading NMM, does anyone have any ideas?

The error message says "NMM CLI stopped working" then "installation failed (errorcode 3762507597). I've tried googling but had no luck

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.
I've been using RND for a little while now, and while I want some pressure to eat now and then, the water requirement and the sheer amount of food it's making me eat is getting on my nerves. Particularly since I still like to fast travel. I've been looking at iNeed, and I have a couple questions:

Does iNeed require you to eat less per day than RND? I understand that iNeed may make me eat while fast traveling, but does so automatically from my inventory, and I don't have a problem with that as long as the per-day requirements aren't as massive.

Does iNeed require you to drink copious amounts of water? I could honestly do without a water need at all, to be frank. I can abstract that for my personal immersion needs.

Is it reasonably feasible to switch from RND to iNeed, given that I've been using RND for a little while? I don't want to break my save.

apple orchard of dreams
Jun 18, 2001

EvilHawk posted:

I've just bought a new PC so rather than having to migrate all my files over I've decided to redownload everything. As far as I'm aware I've done everything the same as I did last time, but MO refuses to load certain mods, notable Character Creation Overhaul. Other than downloading NMM, does anyone have any ideas?

The error message says "NMM CLI stopped working" then "installation failed (errorcode 3762507597). I've tried googling but had no luck

I seem to have the same problem. After a bit of researching, it only happens when a Mod has a fomod archive. MO uses a plugin called NCC to install them. You need Microsoft .Net Framework for it to work, but I have the latest version and it still crashes for me so I have no idea how to fix this.

Edit: Looks like a new build of MO was released yesterday that broke NCC. There is a fix on the Nexus MO page.

apple orchard of dreams fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 27, 2014

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Iunnrais posted:

I've been using RND for a little while now, and while I want some pressure to eat now and then, the water requirement and the sheer amount of food it's making me eat is getting on my nerves. Particularly since I still like to fast travel. I've been looking at iNeed, and I have a couple questions:

Is it reasonably feasible to switch from RND to iNeed, given that I've been using RND for a little while? I don't want to break my save.

RND has an MCM menu that will let you adjust all of those things, which is a safer bet than switching out a mod that I assume makes use of some scripting for another that does similar things. Unless you're just kind of looking for an excuse to start over.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Scyantific posted:

Added your follower mods to the OP while I was doing some cleanup and updating.

Yay! Thanks! :neckbeard:

Crazy Ted posted:

It's not just you, and it's the whole world. You know those babbling brooks you occasionally jump over? Those are supposed to be rivers, on the scale of the Mississippi or the Nile, major continental features.

I saw an infographic that explained how the entirety of Skyrim is, in reality, an area smaller than Manhattan. Granted, if it was to scale that would mean there is a whole lot of nothingness in between, but you think they could have thrown something in like dynamically generated animal packs or something, and just concentrate a lot of activity on the roads.

Really, what would make it feel a lot bigger and live up to the scales portrayed in the concept art is if the geographic features were about 10x larger than they currently are; those babbling brooks, I've found, are easier to pass as rivers when you're at 0.1x scale. I don't know how one would do that without making the game violently explode, though.

Entropic posted:

They are comically small, but would you really want to walk past 20 blocks of houses to get to the blacksmith's shop every time you visited a realistically scaled Whiterun? It would be more realistic but it would be monotonous and unfun.

Counterpoint: Baldur's Gate I. Half the fun of that game was breaking into houses and rifling through things and occasionally picking up quests or getting murdered by wizard covens; sometimes both at the same time. You'd definitely have a wider selection of places to rifle through for Thieves Guild radiants.

A bigger city would also mean more businesses, so you wouldn't necessarily have to beeline to the Blacksmith's to sell your Old Busted Urn, you could just stop in at Crazy Sven's Pawn shop instead.

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 27, 2014

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Honestly, one thing they could do is make it so entering a city makes it become much larger than it is on the outside. Like, let's say you walk around whiterun outside the walls, it takes you ten minutes, but once you go inside, whiterun is much larger and it would take you half an hour or so. Make the city larger once you're in it, without making it unnecessarily creep over the worldspace outside. Some sort of Bag of Holding type thing where the inside is larger than the outside.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Deltasquid posted:

Honestly, one thing they could do is make it so entering a city makes it become much larger than it is on the outside. Like, let's say you walk around whiterun outside the walls, it takes you ten minutes, but once you go inside, whiterun is much larger and it would take you half an hour or so. Make the city larger once you're in it, without making it unnecessarily creep over the worldspace outside. Some sort of Bag of Holding type thing where the inside is larger than the outside.

Bu... but my immersion. :qq:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

For anyone who uses Weapons of the Third Era - MoS Edition, I just did a "Morrowloot Overhaul" of the leveled lists plugin, and removed a ton of high tier poo poo from the lists. if anyone wants a copy of the esp just say so.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Ahahahahha. So I'm going through the dialog for FemaleEvenToned, Lydia's voicetype, specifically the parts for an NPC who attends the party at the Thalmor Embassy. One of the lines is "How dare you! You disgusting pig!" I am tempted to include this as a line the voicetype says when the NPC is in your party, and is currently not wearing any clothes - a condition you only get if you're using mods or a console command to remove them.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Ahahahahha. So I'm going through the dialog for FemaleEvenToned, Lydia's voicetype, specifically the parts for an NPC who attends the party at the Thalmor Embassy. One of the lines is "How dare you! You disgusting pig!" I am tempted to include this as a line the voicetype says when the NPC is in your party, and is currently not wearing any clothes - a condition you only get if you're using mods or a console command to remove them.

That's awesome, though it would be odd if it triggered if you're married to her.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot

Deltasquid posted:

That's awesome, though it would be odd if it triggered if you're married to her.

Well it'd be easy to add that as a condition against it triggering, too. Either way it'd be a subtle jab at the creepers.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Deltasquid posted:

This was the kind of thing I was thinking about. I've never really played Elder Scrolls games using the Open Cities mods because immersion isn't the biggest deal in the world to me. At the same time I just think it would be kind of fun to make the actual cities bigger once you get into them so you can have a bigger range of shops, stores, and places instead of just blacksmith, general goods, alchemist, inn, and shrine.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Hah. You know, people complain (with reason) about Bethesda's heavy reuse of voice actors and their cookie-cutter approach to dialogue, but it does allow you to do a lot of tricks like this.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
Also, are there any tutorials out there for implementing MCM into a mod? I'm thinking of features I could implement in the compilation mod, such as turning follower eligibility on and off on NPC and faction basis that could be done through MCM but I've never really seen a good tutorial on building MCM menus.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Also, are there any tutorials out there for implementing MCM into a mod? I'm thinking of features I could implement in the compilation mod, such as turning follower eligibility on and off on NPC and faction basis that could be done through MCM but I've never really seen a good tutorial on building MCM menus.

https://github.com/schlangster/skyui/wiki/MCM-Quickstart

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

I found their quickstart guide pretty decent, actually. It's a little bit of a hassle, but not too complicated, really.

edit: Too slow, apparently.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Scyantific posted:

For anyone who uses Weapons of the Third Era - MoS Edition, I just did a "Morrowloot Overhaul" of the leveled lists plugin, and removed a ton of high tier poo poo from the lists. if anyone wants a copy of the esp just say so.

Can you upload it somewhere and post it in the OP or something

or just PM it whatevs

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Mortimer posted:

Can you upload it somewhere and post it in the OP or something

or just PM it whatevs

Done

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Deltasquid posted:

I think this would be the best way to create larger cities. Maybe instead of open cities, the game should take advantage of the cities being in a separate worldspace and make the limitations of the engine work as an advantage. I don't really think it would break immersion either, because it's not like the cities feel very connected to the overworld anyway. You could even do what Oblivion did with the Imperial City and divide it into different districts/cells if you start to get FPS issues.

Speaking of FPS issues, I've been having a lot of problems since I installed SSME. After a little while, my game gets a lot slower, and I frequently get a lot of stuttering as well. I've seen one or two other people complaining about this on Nexus, but not much else. It fixes itself if I quit and reload, but doesn't take long to come back. Does anyone else have this problem or know what I might do to fix it? SSME has been working as advertised for preventing crashes, but a crash-free game isn't much good if it's unplayably slow.

Edit: Could the fact that I also have ENBoost installed be a factor in this? I hadn't heard anything about those two not working well together, but it's possible.

Praetorian Mage fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 27, 2014

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Entropic posted:

It just wouldn't be 20 blocks of houses. You'd add in different shops and locations to keep it worthwhile.
Of course that would be a monumental amount of work. Making a world that was as big and as interesting as a real country with cities as real and as interesting as real cities is a monumental effort, even if all the assets were in place already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

If they're gonna push Valenwood or Summerset as the locations of the next TES game I could very well see them doing one *massive* city (Falinesti for Valenwood, Alinor for Summerset) and then splintering off with smaller villages (2-3 times the size of Riverwood at most) surrounded by (maybe) nothing but forest/jungle (for Valenwood at least, not too sure about Summerset).

• Locked thread