Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

GWBBQ posted:

Apparently we're supposed to take advice on audio components from someone who can't prevent a lapel mic from clipping.

And who sells expensive power cords that have been proven (by cat teardown) to be nothing more than ordinary lamp cord in a garden hose, with really shoddy build quality.

If brass screws made such a massive improvement, why aren't all manufacturers fitting them? They're not that expensive.

I'd love to hear his explanation for how this supposed improvement works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Vibrations, man!

(I think that's actually their explanation for them screws.)

As far as expenses go, don't underestimate the penny pinchers in companies. My place managed to ruin several hundred thousands Euro of cables, because some jackass in management thought it'd be a great idea to save 2 cent on the multilayer sieves we use. The machine in question uses three of them, and that thing usually runs all work week without a stop. So it's 6 cents of savings a week that led to a shitload of scrap and lots of hours of tracking down the issue (the way the cheaper sieves were welded caused dead zones in the material flow, that kept throwing cured particulate causing the semi-conductor layer of the affected product to fail).

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Feb 24, 2014

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
KozmoNaut join the 21st century and do your crossovers in software.

Opensourcepirate
Aug 1, 2004

Except Wednesdays
I'm still using a PCI Audigy card for my sound. I wonder if I could pick up some jitter with an oscilloscope.

In other news, Sound Blaster has gotten a bit better at making Windows 7 drivers for their older hardware. The card works fine unless I put my computer to sleep, then I have to disable and reenable it or it sounds ridiculously distorted.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

If you put enough current through it I'm sure.

The question is if you'll burn the card before detecting jitter.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Boiled Water posted:

If you put enough current through it I'm sure.

The question is if you'll burn the card before detecting jitter.

I hadn't considered water cooling my audio card before... it's the last main component in my computer not on water dihydrogen monoxide.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

KozmoNaut join the 21st century and do your crossovers in software.

How?

I'm using the TOSLINK output from my motherboard, feeding it to a DAC, then to the preamp and then to the crossover.

The only way I could see to do it "in software" would be to buy a DSP box instead of the crossover, but those are significantly more expensive than a normal active crossover and way overkill for my needs.

If I did the crossover in software on my PC, I would have to control the volume level from my PC to match the speakers and sub, and I wouldn't be able to connect my Xbox.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Do you want to hear "the music as the artists heard it in the studio"?

Well, cough up £50,000 for a Linn Exakt system, then!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-2564008/Linn-Exakt-The-future-hi-fis-theres-problem-youll-need-remortgage-house-afford-it.html

:psyduck:

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Isn't the dailymail a yellow paper trash rag for complete morons anyway? It's odd to see the usual faux-science flowery language nonsense mashed up in a way as if they were explaining it to a 5 year old.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The mail is right-wing poo poo with pretensions of being a broadsheet (it's not). When they're not shrieking about immigrants or publishing photos of 'older than her years' teenage girls, they're pushing all kinds of woo and pseudoscience, some of it really damaging. Don't give them the clicks, never mind read any of that poo poo

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Do you want to hear "the music as the artists heard it in the studio"?

Well, cough up £50,000 for a Linn Exakt system, then!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-2564008/Linn-Exakt-The-future-hi-fis-theres-problem-youll-need-remortgage-house-afford-it.html

:psyduck:

As near as I can tell (and Linn's marketing has been terrible), this is little more than a network player with a digital link to speakers with built in amplifiers.

Honestly, in terms of "lifestyle" systems, the idea makes sense (but not at their price). An attractive networked box that can pull data from your computer/tablet/phone and play it directly to speakers without any middle ground components is a good thing.

It will never catch on with audiophiles, though, because it eliminates the neurotic gear swapping.

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

So they invented an expensive Sonos?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

lookslikerain posted:

So they invented an expensive Sonos?

Yes, but it's better than Sonos because reasons.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Well Linn have been into networked audio players for years, this is just the latest iteration at their attempts to fleece gullible audiophiles.

*edit* I interned in a high-end audio store in 1997, I seem to remember Linn having a line of multi-room audio equipment that was networked through some kind of networking protocol. This was also the heyday of the terrible K600 speaker cable (shown on the bottom of the pic) they had which featured :pcgaming: TRI WIRING :pcgaming:

*edit2* It was the Linn Knekt system

Willeh fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 25, 2014

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Willeh posted:

Well Linn have been into networked audio players for years, this is just the latest iteration at their attempts to fleece gullible audiophiles.

*edit* I interned in a high-end audio store in 1997, I seem to remember Linn having a line of multi-room audio equipment that was networked through some kind of networking protocol. This was also the heyday of the terrible K600 speaker cable (shown on the bottom of the pic) they had which featured :pcgaming: TRI WIRING :pcgaming:

*edit2* It was the Linn Knekt system

Obviously a bad solution because the naturally binaural sound atoms get confused.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

Obviously a bad solution because the naturally binaural sound atoms get confused.

That's obviously bullshit. Sounds are transmitted by bosons. :colbert:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Sigh the triple cable configuration is designed to allow electroscopic phase tuning, to interact with and separately influence the three separate atoms in a water molecule, including dipolar alignment for lower vibration resistance and faster transient response. The human body is 60% water, so the benefits and implications are clear

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Clearly the center pair is suppose to absorb and then re-transmit the inductive fields the outer pair of wires emit, as well as preventing the inductive streams from crossing.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I found this interesting. It's from whatsbestforum in a thread about an $8,400 power cable.

The author is the owner and lead designer of Atma-Sphere Music Systems.

quote:

If you want to know what power cords work, I can explain that. the principle is different from why power conditioners work.

Almost any amplifier or preamp has a power supply consisting of transformer, rectifiers and filter capacitors. Once the caps are fully charged, they don't discharge a whole lot between peaks of the AC waveform, where they get replenished. The rectifiers will only conduct (commutate) when the filter cap voltage is lower than that of the power transformer. So in essence, the rectifiers are only conducting on peaks of the AC waveform, and then only for brief periods of time.

This means that the power cord has to have some bandwidth (since the rectifiers may only be on for a few milliseconds, that means its a high frequency, despite being repeated 60 times a second) or the delivery of current will be curtailed. In addition, it should not have much in the way of a voltage drop either. I have seen a 2 volt drop on a power cord result in about a 30% loss of output power in a large power amp. Tell me you can't hear that- it was measurable with a simple DVM!!

Many will argue about the effects of the wire in the walls and what not. They are right. The wire in the walls makes a difference, but it so happens that ROMEX has pretty good HF response, so no worries. But if you live in an older building where the wiring is not up to code, you may find that you don't hear the effects of some highly revered cables. Its not their fault, its yours- fix the building wiring and the power cables will become more audible. That will be a good thing BTW.

In a preamp the effect of the cable might be less audible, especially if the preamp has a lot of regulation in its supplies, but otherwise the same principle still applies.

A weakness of power strips and inferior power conditioners is that they force you to use a common power cord for the entire system. IOW, the power cord for a power strip or power conditioner had better be pretty beefy, with good HF response in such cases. YMMV, as there are a variety of variables, but in a nutshell this is why power cords make a difference. Its simple physics y'all.

Do you have to spend a lot of money to get the best power cord? I don't think so. What is important is the overall current handling ability, and good HF response. That does not have to cost that much- its a matter of how the cable is built.

I don't have the EE background to qualify what he's saying, but it echoes my personal view on power cables, etc., which is basically that they only make an audible difference when they're physically deficient. In other words, if you hear a measurable difference one of the two cables is basically broken.

What is very entertaining is how much hate he got from other people for making this post. It's apparently sacrilege to try and measure things to determine why you can hear a difference.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Bandwidth? Power cable?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TheMadMilkman posted:

In other words, if you hear a measurable difference one of the two cables is basically broken.

True. Of course, power cables are never ever ever ever broken when you buy them.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I have never ever heard of anyone who bought a power cord that turned out to be broken. Signal cables yeah, but a power cable is really hard to gently caress up.

The only broken power cables I've ever encountered were either severely mistreated, or the connectors were assembled by a monkey on crack.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 26, 2014

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
This is from a local classified ad. Dude is selling his $26,500 preamp for a bargain - only $14,500

Gloss black finish with gold knobs and tasteless overuse of script lettering ("b-b-b-b-but marantz uses script lettering!!!!"). I couldn't make an uglier piece of equipment if I tried.

Also lol at the cable management:

snooman
Aug 15, 2013

quote:

But if you live in an older building where the wiring is not up to code, you may find that you don't hear the effects of some highly revered cables. Its not their fault, its yours- fix the building wiring and the power cables will become more audible. That will be a good thing BTW.

But the old wiring has been burned in longer! That's why the 3' cable between your wall outlet and your device is so critical and everything else between the coal/nuke/solar/wind/hydro plant and your home doesn't matter--unless the power company needs to recable anything due to storms or whatever. If the power lines or transformers get replaced, pack up your poo poo because it's time to move.

I'm seeing some real estate opportunities in 1940s era blue collar neighborhoods audiophile ready homes, particularly anything with velvet wallpaper.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BANME.sh posted:

This is from a local classified ad. Dude is selling his $26,500 preamp for a bargain - only $14,500

Gloss black finish with gold knobs and tasteless overuse of script lettering ("b-b-b-b-but marantz uses script lettering!!!!"). I couldn't make an uglier piece of equipment if I tried.

Also lol at the cable management:

Man, that thing is ugly.

Are there any pictures of the insides? I kinda want to see if it's overbuilt to even nearly the same degree as my NAD C165BEE, which weighs more than my old 2x50w NAD integrated amp and has a bigger power supply for some reason.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
The seller didn't post any, but it's an MBL 6010D

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There's a lot of warmth in those photos, exhibiting a really wide cinescape. Must've used a $400 USB cable to get those kinds of results, very nice.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Also the amp is sitting on an Audiophile Grade (c) slab of marble on top of the stand it's already on :psyduck:

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

It's like you guys don't realize the value of script lettering on the sound stage. Pathetic.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Why is that thing's "name" just "THE PREAMP" but in german?

Is that like japanese throwing in random english words in random spots to sound cool, except for audiophiles it's gotta be KNALLHARTES DEUTSCH for some reason? :psyduck:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
I know that the power cable stuff is bullshit, but if it held a shred of truth, the obvious solution would be to use three phase power for constant delivery. These guys must be a special breed of :spergin: to misapply EE but then not look at how EE would solve the problem.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Why stop at three phases?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BANME.sh posted:

The seller didn't post any, but it's an MBL 6010D

It's actually surprisingly underwhelming to look at:

Wimpy little power supply, probably dual mono inputs (because EVERYTHING must be SEPARATED!), all that normal jazz. It probably uses opamps and integrated circuits, not even custom class A gain modules :monocle:

Although I'm guessing the big old copper plates in there are used as both shielding and a massive groundplane. I wonder if that could actually cause some noise to do it that way.

According to the spec sheet, the CD input is directly coupled to the output when selected, only passing through the volume control. Which in effect makes the preamp a $26K attenuator knob. The claimed frequency response is 0hz-1MHz, so I guess you can listen to raw AM broadcasts :confused:

Willeh posted:

Also the amp is sitting on an Audiophile Grade (c) slab of marble on top of the stand it's already on :psyduck:

Vibration is one of those really big things in the audiophile world. I think their reasoning goes that because turntables are affected by vibration and because sound is nothing but vibrating pressure changes in a medium, everything else related to sound MUST be affected by vibration as well. Hence the availability of ridiculously overpriced hifi racks, suspended spring-dampened platforms, granite slabs and third party replacement feet for hifi equipment.

Some crazy people have actually pronounced the Ikea Lack side table to be the bestest hifi rack evar, because standard audio and 19" rack equipment fit perfectly between the table legs. The flimsy cardboard and veneer construction supposedly also dampens vibrations really well. I have a hifi rack that I built from a couple of Lack tables, because they were super cheap, easy to work with and the end result looks pretty good. There's no shame in admitting that you're a cheapass, and no need to dress it up with audiophile nonsense.

I did see one pretty cool idea that used thick threaded rods for legs, with birch planks for shelves. Nuts threaded onto the rods then acted as spacers, making the entire rack easily adjustable, which was kind of a neat idea.

A lot of tweaking goes on in this area as well, mostly relatively benign stuff such as tennis balls cut in half or semi-inflated bicycle innertubes, both used as "vibration-damping" stands for everything from CD players to phono preamps. At least those are quite inexpensive and harmless. But I'm sure there is at least one crazy audiophile out there who has decoupled his entire listening room somehow.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Feb 27, 2014

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Don't you guys see where you are going wrong

a power cable isn't the last 3 feet in your system after 50 miles of that untreated copper cable from the power station (it probably even has lots of oxygen in it), it's the first 3 feet towards an unbelievable listening experience.

Something something wider soundstage, better imaging, blacker blacks, more musicality, and tighter bass.

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

I like to match the power source to the music I'm listening to.

Wind power for classical music, a diesel generator for Industrial and I've installed a steam turbine to catch the heat from my town's tire fire for thrash metal :smug:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Yeah, that's a good idea for the highest level of authenticity, but top-end cigars for a proper Cuban jazz setup are getting really expensive and hard to import.

And I'm running out of stave churches for my black metal setup :(

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Willeh posted:

I like to match the power source to the music I'm listening to.

Wind power for classical music, a diesel generator for Industrial and I've installed a steam turbine to catch the heat from my town's tire fire for thrash metal :smug:

Yes I do the same, which is why I have a fart-powered generator for listening to King Crimson.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

KozmoNaut posted:

I have never ever heard of anyone who bought a power cord that turned out to be broken. Signal cables yeah, but a power cable is really hard to gently caress up.
I had one bad power cable from Monoprice once. Someone threw it out before I had a chance to rip it apart though, all I know is that there was no continuity between the hot on one end of the cable and the hot on the other. I've had a few cables with cold solder joints, so if I had to guess it was probably that.

I called them to report a defect and they sent me 4 new ones. Monoprice is awesome.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

That's broken bad, not this hypothetical narrows-my-stereo-image bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
So why doesn't their logic of having imaginary bullshit have a noticeable affect on digital data being processed ever get applied to photography? Better gear makes for better display of your digital camera photos.

But then I think that there are probably are sperg-nerds who spend thousands on various displays and such, so never mind.