Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Just picked up Darkly Dreaming Dexter looking forward to the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Stavrogin posted:

Having devoured three recent Man Booker winners (Wolf Hall, Bring Up the Bodies, and The Luminaries), I'm jumping back in MB history to read both of J.G. Farrell's winners, The Siege of Krishnapur and Troubles, which works perfectly as I collect Knopf's "Everyman's Library" clothbound series, and they recently published these two together. Three birds with one stone!

Those two are fantastic, especially Siege. The third book in the trilogy, The Singapore Grip, is not quite as good as those two, but worth a read.

I just started Vasily Grossman's Life and Fate. It's supposedly the Soviet era's "War and Peace" and so far I am very, very impressed. An epic of the Eastern Front of WWII, it's dark and grim but quite good so far.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. A really fascinating book, though with a not all too sympathetic protag.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
Picked up Crocodile by Dan Wylie. I think I'm in love with Reaktion's biology-meets-art-and-culture Animal series. A touch on the pricey side, but one every few months or something won't hurt...

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Picked up the first volume of Robert Caro's biography of LBJ - The Path to Power - at the library today. It's something I've meant to read for a few years and I'm on a biography kick right now, so I figured it was high time. A fun thing from the introduction: Caro says it's going to be a three-volume series; he's already released four volumes and there's no end in sight.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Went to a bookstore and swapped out some horribly generic Scandinavian crime for Life and Death are Wearing Me Out by Mo Yan, The Crying Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon and Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World by Haruki Murakami. And I still have enough store credit left for a 4th novel later on.

ulvir fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Feb 25, 2014

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I just picked up Faulkner's The Hamlet and I'm wondering how long this guy can not burn a barn.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

I just picked up Faulkner's The Hamlet and I'm wondering how long this guy can not burn a barn.

Are you going to read the whole Snopes trilogy or just the one?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Turns out I own the first two of the Sam Space series. I've never read Nolan (and I haven't seen Logan's Run, either), so I've no idea why I have them or where they came from. Regardless, I think I'll use them for my current "light" reading this week.

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax
I just got War/Photography, I am excited to read it. It has like 450 different war pictures with essays from war photographers etc.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

barkingclam posted:

Are you going to read the whole Snopes trilogy or just the one?

I've just now found out it was a trilogy, so I have no opinion on the matter. It depends on how much I enjoy it, I guess.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
Looking for something in the vein of The Silence of the Lambs, I just started The Bone Collector and it kinda sucks. Lincoln Rhyme is like a human Google, and the author can't stop talking about how hot the female lead is... it's... not good.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I believe the film industry found out the exact same thing.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
My copy of Stephen Donaldson's A Dark and Hungry God Arises just arrived. It's been a while since I last read a 'Gap' book, but it looks like it'll be good: less "interaction" between Morn and Angus/Nick, and more about the inter-relations between the heads of UMC and UMCP, as well as delving a little more into Milos Taverner's past/personality. Could be a good read I have on my hands! I certainly hope there's more interaction with the Amnion too, who started to come into play, last book.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Spent the last of my store credit on Gabriel García Márquez' Memories of My Melancholy Whores as well as picking up The Feast of the Goat by Mario Vargas Llosa.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

No Longer Flaky posted:

I just got War/Photography, I am excited to read it. It has like 450 different war pictures with essays from war photographers etc.

I've nearly bought this book on so many different occasions, I don't know why I haven't just pulled the trigger yet. I'm excited to hear what you think of it.

If you feel like discussing the photography aspect, the Dorkroom has a photo books thread that's desperately in need of new blood: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572853&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

BobTheCow posted:

I've nearly bought this book on so many different occasions, I don't know why I haven't just pulled the trigger yet. I'm excited to hear what you think of it.

If you feel like discussing the photography aspect, the Dorkroom has a photo books thread that's desperately in need of new blood: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3572853&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

I prefer this photo book thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3611765

No Longer Flaky
Nov 16, 2013

by Lowtax

BobTheCow posted:

Thanks man I am definitely interested. Just getting into viewing photography. I don't have a camera or anything but I sure like cool looking pictures and the stories behind them

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...
About 120 pages into Arcanum by Simon Morden and I'm enjoying it quite a lot. It's a long book, but it's a fast read.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Started reading Insurgent, book 2 of Divergent. Not very good but still slightly scratches the Hunger Games itch.

n4lrah
Jan 2, 2014

Herping ur derp
Easy way to stop smoking by Alan Carr

Hope it's not a bunch to pages of pocket philosophy and psychology

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Started up Ron Chernow's biography of Alexander Hamilton again after an aborted attempt awhile back.

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Chamberk posted:

I just started Vasily Grossman's Life and Fate. It's supposedly the Soviet era's "War and Peace" and so far I am very, very impressed. An epic of the Eastern Front of WWII, it's dark and grim but quite good so far.
I know this isn't the recommendations thread, but if you end up liking Life and Fate, you owe it yourself to also read Everything Flows (alternatively rendered as Forever Flowing). I recommend reading them in that order, despite the latter being much shorter compared to Life and Fate.

Can of Cloud
May 20, 2010
Picked up "The Savage Detectives" by Roberto Belano. Pretty drat good so far. Only 75 pages in, though. Lots of sex, erection talk … I wasn't expecting that much

Stavrogin
Feb 6, 2010

Can of Cloud posted:

Picked up "The Savage Detectives" by Roberto Belano. Pretty drat good so far. Only 75 pages in, though. Lots of sex, erection talk … I wasn't expecting that much

Great choice. There are parts that are a bit hard to get through, but it's worth it.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Picked up a copy of David Shield's Salinger biography today. It's one I've been thinking about reading for a while and although I'm not a huge fan of JD's writing, I'm curious to see what the second half of his life was like. Has anyone here read it? Any thoughts?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
At the moment I'm reading:
- A Clash of Kings for the second time. Later this year I'll read ASoS again, and next year I'll tackle the chronologically-sorted AFfC/ADwD combo. That should prepare me for The Winds of Winter if it gets released late 2015/early 2016.
- Back Story by David Mitchell, who isn't the author of Cloud Atlas, but is the British comedian from Peep Show, QI, Mitchell and Webb and more. It's pretty good, I'm a sucker for British comedian memoirs (like Stephen Fry's). Mitchell loves to go off on bitter/angry rants on inconsequential things, that are hilarious from time to time.
- A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge, which I'm halfway through. It's even better than A Fire Upon the Deep was.
- The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England by Ian Mortimer, which is a pretty good social history book about England in the 14th century, full of cool details and structured a bit like a travel guide. It's more about day to day life in that period rather than wars and events.
- Retribution Falls by Chris Wooding: I just started this today. It's like Firefly in a steampunk/airships setting, and is pretty gripping after just a few chapters.
- Embassytown by China Miéville, which I'm reading for the second time for a series of indepth-analysis blog posts. I did a similar thing for The Scar a few years ago.

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
I'm reading Rick Riordan's House of Hades. I had it since it came out, then realized it had been so long since I've read the others in the series I had forgotten what had happened. So I went back and read them and started on it finally.

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013
Just picked up Allegiant by Veronica Roth, the last book in the Divergent series. It's the only book in the series written from a dual perspective of both the main characters.

I'm not sure I like it. The first book was great, the second was lackluster, and this one hasn't caught my attention yet. The big drop in Insurgeant was decent but left me wishing it would have been bigger, considering the two full books of tension to build it up.

Anyone else read Allegiant and can vouch for/against it?

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I picked up Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and when I put it down I was about 80% through it :psyduck:

military cervix
Dec 24, 2006

Hey guys

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I picked up Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn and when I put it down I was about 80% through it :psyduck:

This is one of the best thrillers I've read in a while. Does anyone know how her other works stack up?

For me, I'm about halfway through The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath. I like it quite a bit, even though some of the sexual stuff is a bit difficult to relate to 50 years after its release.

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012

DreadNite posted:

Just picked up Allegiant by Veronica Roth, the last book in the Divergent series. It's the only book in the series written from a dual perspective of both the main characters.

I'm not sure I like it. The first book was great, the second was lackluster, and this one hasn't caught my attention yet. The big drop in Insurgeant was decent but left me wishing it would have been bigger, considering the two full books of tension to build it up.

Anyone else read Allegiant and can vouch for/against it?

It was my least favorite. I didn't hate it exactly but I just didn't get as into it as the others. The ending was... surprising Some people were up in arms over it. I disliked it myself and didn't see the need but it didn't make me rage.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

barkingclam posted:

Picked up the first volume of Robert Caro's biography of LBJ - The Path to Power - at the library today. It's something I've meant to read for a few years and I'm on a biography kick right now, so I figured it was high time. A fun thing from the introduction: Caro says it's going to be a three-volume series; he's already released four volumes and there's no end in sight.

The Audible versions of these are amazing, not a boring moment in ~150 hours. I really hope Caro lives long enough to finish what should be the last one.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

rear end cobra posted:

The Audible versions of these are amazing, not a boring moment in ~150 hours. I really hope Caro lives long enough to finish what should be the last one.

Oh yeah, it's outstanding stuff: LBJ's frantic drive, his shameless self-promotion and flashes of genuine concern and empathy. He's a very facinating guy. So is Sam Rayburn, I might see if the library has anything on him - after I finish all four of Caro's volumes, anyway.

Moral
Feb 9, 2014

I'm not really sure what I'm doing.

Pendergast posted:

I'm reading Rick Riordan's House of Hades. I had it since it came out, then realized it had been so long since I've read the others in the series I had forgotten what had happened. So I went back and read them and started on it finally.

I'm pretty excited for you. I wish I could go back and reread all of them but I've read them each so many times I've got it pretty much memorized :\

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

The Columbia Anthology of Traditional Chinese Literature ed., Victor H. Mair

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

Pendergast posted:

I'm thinking of picking up this series. I've heard a lot about it. I think there's a movie associated with this series (Percy Jackson..?) but never saw it. Are these books all Olympian style with the Greek Gods etc form of writing? Disregard horrible sentence structure.

DreadNite fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 13, 2014

Moral
Feb 9, 2014

I'm not really sure what I'm doing.
I've just began The Name of the Wind. It's part of the King Killers trilogy. I'm about 100 pages in and I'm hooked. Can't stop reading.

DreadNite posted:

I'm thinking of picking up this series. I've heard a lot about it. I think there's a movie associated with this series (Percy Jackson..?) but never saw it. Are these books all Olympian style with the Greek Gods etc form of writing? Disregard horrible sentence structure.

Don't watch the movie. No seriously, don't. I don't know about the second one but the first was an awful, awful, interpretation of the movie. It barely resembles it at all and butchers the plot. As far as the books go they're pretty great. They do deal with the greek gods, and others (You'll find out later). If you're going to start the series I recommend starting with the Percy Jackson series, which begin in The Lightning Thief, and end in The Last Hero (If I remember correctly.) Then Rick starts another series with some of the same characters from the Percy Jackson series as well as introducing new ones. (It's essentially a sequel to the first series.)

The books are targeted towards teenagers and young adults I thought but I honestly believe that anyone will be able to enjoy them. Give it a shot!

DreadNite
Nov 12, 2013

Moral posted:

I've just began The Name of the Wind. It's part of the King Killers trilogy. I'm about 100 pages in and I'm hooked. Can't stop reading.

Don't watch the movie. No seriously, don't. I don't know about the second one but the first was an awful, awful, interpretation of the movie. It barely resembles it at all and butchers the plot. As far as the books go they're pretty great. They do deal with the greek gods, and others (You'll find out later). If you're going to start the series I recommend starting with the Percy Jackson series, which begin in The Lightning Thief, and end in The Last Hero (If I remember correctly.) Then Rick starts another series with some of the same characters from the Percy Jackson series as well as introducing new ones. (It's essentially a sequel to the first series.)

The books are targeted towards teenagers and young adults I thought but I honestly believe that anyone will be able to enjoy them. Give it a shot!

Nice review. I think I'll pick them up next time i'm out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I just picked up a full set of the M*A*S*H tie-ins from the 70s. They're really odd to read, although fairly entertaining, as there are three actual timelines when dealing with the material: The TV show, which was really more about the War in Vietnam, and ran 11 seasons to cover a three year time period, starting out really humorous, and shifting to more melodramatic; The Movie, which was black comedy, and abbreviated a little too much from the source material; and the original book. The tie-ins are 100% sequels to the original novel, and, apart from the first sequel, MASH Goes To Maine, ratcheted the wackiness machinery into high gear. William Butterworth, the Co-author, was obviously the primary author of books 3-14, as the main characters of books 1 and 2, Hawkeye, Trapper John, and Duke Forrest take a strong backseat to the primary stories, which mostly involve wacky parodies of real people running into each other, and making fun of the political climates of the 70s.

Many of the beloved original characters do make appearances, such as Hot Lips, Frank Burns, Father Mulcahy, and even Radar, and Hawkeye and Trapper John are in every book, but, aside from Hot Lips, who went on to head up a gay church(the God Is Love In All Forms Christian Church, inc.), every book leans heavily on Butterworth's original characters to truly move the plot, such as Horsey De La Chevaux, the Cajun head of the Cheveaux Petroleum Corp, his friend Boris Alexandrovich Korsky-Rimsakov, world famous Opera Singer/poonhound, and Prince Hassan, the Islamic Arabic Prince of a fictional middle-eastern country which supplies 38 percent of France's oil supplies, and who follows Boris around, nailing his many discards and paying for his travel.

The books are each around 200 pages long, and each contain frequent plugs for each other, usually taking the form of footnotes explaining the history of one of the characters, and in which book the full story of those events are found.

They are pretty enjoyable, even despite their faults, and are worth what little money you might have to pay for them at used bookstores. At minimum, they're good for stacking on your toilet tank, in case you find yourself in dire straits.

• Locked thread