Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Most embarassing thing I've seen in sport would be my high school soccer team. One of the attackers on my team was really hard headed and generally just ignored everyone else and went to score. He usually didn't listen to anyone shouting commands at him. This really, really, really backfired on him when he played a practice match with his testicles hanging out on full display despite three people trying to tell him. He didn't live it down the rest of HS. We called him "chickpeas".

Make me your president, and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Well, I Never thought that I'd ever want to find this picture again...

You know, we are pretty rough on some of low end teams in this game, but sometimes we need a reminder that there is a whole universe of footballers who are even worse. This is about a team at the wrong end of division 9 south of a local competition.

This is me last year. A sort of local derby, playing a team with the same physical style of soccer. (Think Gillingham). Sidelines packed with a good 15 spectators. In nearly 20 years of playing, this is my second time as goalkeeper. The regular goalkeeper failed to turn up.

Things were going OK until this point. I wasn't much for catching the ball, but I could deflect it and jump on to it on the ground well enough. I think, and my memory is getting hazy, that I had let another much more reasonable one through.

Then this one. It was a shot from outside the box, and even out past our defence I think, came from slightly right, I think. Skimming along the ground, not sort of high velocity shot that I can't hardly even bring myself to head these days, but at least a full second to react. Easy. One step to the left, kneel and pickup. Well. Perhaps it was a little faster than I thought... oh. SHITSHITSHITSHIT... poo poo.

And some... person... got it on camera too.

My sports history is not good. The bad and embarassing moments have blended into a sort of fog in the back of my brain. Every so often one comes out of the fog and makes me twitch at a random moment. eventually this one will fade into the fog. But it might take a bit longer, because some well meaning person had a camera (and facebook! :argh: )

Vote me president.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

habeasdorkus posted:

Great answer, but you're already running for reelection :)

I know, but I had to do it, it was too perfect.

TheMcD posted:

Somebody went to the Mick Foley School of Cheap Pops, I see.

I'll be here all year again, right here, in Wrexham, Wales :thumbsup: .

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
When I was around ten I thought it was a good idea to try and head a ball that someone was keeping up in the air with their feet; I took a football boot (bladed, even) to the face. A little to the left and I would have lost an eye.

Well, it was embarrassing to me.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

It's amazing how I can see your dejected face even thru the black square. Sucks to be a keeper, dude.

I am sports embarassment in person, so much that I don't play anything anymore because I'm godawful at every sport I've picked up. I'm not even horrendously unathletic, I'm just too short for the tall-people sports and too uncoordinated to use my legs in the other ones. I'm especially bad at soccer tho - subverting all the stereotypes about Brazilians and poo poo. Never really did anything too bad when I played, to be fair, so this one is more of a silly story than anything else.

My college department (not even sure if that's the right term, but whatever) holds these little futsal tournaments twice a year. No one's especially good, so it's more of an excuse to embarass ourselves and play stupidly physical for no reason at all. Fights happen, people laugh, life goes on, etc. Remember when I said I was especially bad at soocer? That's a lie. I'm especially bad at futsal. I HATE futsal, hate watching it and even more so, hate playing it. I guess that's because the few things I can do playing soccer translate terribly to futsal - that is, long crosses, lobbing balls and slide tackles. DM life, represent.

Anyway, that brings me to this story. Somehow, I got roped into playing for a classmate's team - they couldn't get five dudes so they needed someone, anyone to complete the team. First match, I just tell the dudes "gently caress it, I'm hanging back and trying not to gently caress up too badly", cleaning my hands out of any offensive responsabilites whatsoever. Then a player on the other team breaks free on a counter and I'm basically the only man standing between him and the goalkeeper. So what do I do, being one of the worst footballers to ever grace planet Earth?

I fuckin' SLIDE TACKLE him. Now, this is futsal, not soccer. You don't do slide tackles in futsal - pretty sure it was completely illegal until very recently. But I'm an entrepreneur and to my credit, it was as clean as a side slide tackle in futsal can be. People watching go "the gently caress", my teammates go "the gently caress", the referee looks at me with a "the gently caress" look in his face and...completely lets it slide. Not even a free kick or a yellow card was awarded. Next play, a hot-headed dude on their team tries to get back at us for that play and does a slide tackle of his own, except this time the ref is not mesmerized by the sheer foolishness of the move and sends him off. Because of that, we end up winning the game. That was the only game we won in the whole tournament.

So that's the tale of how me being a bad player actually led my team to victory. I used to have video footage of the tackle, but it's lost to the sands of time.

James Peach
Dec 30, 2008
The most embarrassing moment in sports for me was Super Bowl XXXVIII, and not because of the wardrobe malfunction. It was the only game of American football I've ever cared about, and it pissed me off so much to watch the Panthers lose the way they did, to a 41 yard field goal with 4 seconds remaining. If John Kasay hadn't kicked the ball out of freaking bounds after the Panthers tied the game, things might have been different. But it happened, and the Patriots took full advantage.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Since we're also talking about sports things that have caused us pain, there's the time I was tossing some batting practice before a softball game when I was a summer clerk in Philadelphia. The biggest guy on the team is up, and clobbers the ball. Directly at my ankle.

I didn't break anything, and it wasn't too bad for the rest of the day (I still played in the game, even though I was pretty hobbled), but I could barely walk for a week. Not so much humiliation as just sheer "owww."

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I used to play American football at uni. I was big, overwieght and slow, and so a natural lineman. I got to being alright at the hitting people business, but anything that involved the ball thingy was a bit dicey.

On one of our first practices back in a new term, coach had us run some simple drills for random different position groups, just to see if anyone had any aptitude for something they hadn't done before. Cue me lining up in a receiver drill. I burst forward like a startled tortoise, and got my head round in time to realise that coach had thrown the ball to me. It was quite a kind throw, not too quick, bit of loft on it. I thought "I might actually catch this!", and got my hands up ready to make the catch. Only I was still wearing O-line pads, and I couldn't get my arms above my shoulders. So I got to watch as the ball descended gracefully towards me and hit me square on the facemask while I desperately T-rexed my arms at it.

Not dignified.

Lost Season
Nov 28, 2013

The most embarrassing sports moment that I can remember is back from when I played little league baseball. I was playing in the outfield, and got distracted watching some kids play with a beach ball in their backyard. I became so enraptured watching it that I failed to notice the ball hit in the air until it clocked me directly in the head. They had to stop the game, and the coach (my father) had to bring an ice pack out to me.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

Here's an ACTUAL story, not since I need it since I'm running for re-election, just for fun. When I was very young I played tee-ball. I was standing at the pitcher's mound, and as I'm watching the other player get up to bat I suddenly have the vision of getting beaned by him pitching the ball. I said 'that's stupid, this is tee-ball, he's not pitching.'

Moments later, the ball, hit off the tee, hits me right in the stomach.

I have never since had a vision of the future as I did that day.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

The most embarrassing thing I've seen in sports? I'm going with a rare statistical entry.

I'm going with the New Orleans defensive back in 2007 that gave up more yards per pass than throwing to an unguarded receiver.

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011
One time when I was a teenager, a friend of mine asked if I would go to a field in Southie with him to play some of his friends from high school since he was a man short. I agreed to play and soon enough we were playing six-on-six American football. The very first play of the game we get the ball and somehow I got wide open and made a great catch. At this point I made two very wrong assumptions that I would soon regret.

a.) That somehow no one would be able to catch me before the endzone.

b.) That since I was never told by my friend to tackle players and we weren't wearing pads that this would be a two-hand touch game.

From the corner of my eye I catch a glimpse of a super-fast guy who then proceeds to tackle me so hard that I flew a good five feet hitting the ground quite hard. The ball also flew out but since I was right along the sidelines, the fumble was meaningless. After getting back to the huddle a few minutes later all I heard was them asking why I didn't just step out of bounds to avoid taking the hit. I was able to finish the game but from then on I pretty much stuck to run plays where no one could get enough momentum to hit me like that again.

SnafuAl
Oct 20, 2010

VR! VR! VR!
BLOODY VR!

The Most Embarassing Thing I've Seen In Sports

Back when I was in the Cub Scouts, there was a Saturday football league at the local playing fields between the local packs. In our third game of one of these Saturday sessions (each week saw 3 games of about 30 minutes each, for a total of about 2 hours of time on the fields including warmups and such), one of my team-mates pointed out that one of our opponents was acting a bit weird. Being ten years old, we figured he was just a weird kid and left it at that.

A few minutes later, while our goalie was retrieving the ball from the next pitch over so he could take a goal kick, we noticed the same kid wander over to the woods at the edge of the playing fields, get behind a tree that wasn't even close to thick enough to hide him as he dropped his shorts and squatted down.

So a kid poo poo in the woods after spending an hour or so running around, big deal. It was what he did next that earns this story it's title.

Having finished up, the kid pulled his underwear and shorts up, then sat down nearby and started taking one of his boots off. By this point, most of the kids on our pitch are staring at the kid, more interested in what the gently caress he's up to than the goalie returning with the ball.

He stripped off his sock, a plain knee-high football sock, turned it inside-out and put it on his hand, picked up his fresh, steaming turd and unrolled the sock off his arm. He then tied the top of the poo poo-filled sock in a knot, threw it over the nearby fence into the woods, put his boot back on his now-bare foot and trotted back to rejoin the game as if nothing happened.

The opposition's coach/pack leader immediately took him back to the changing rooms, presumably to call the kid's parents, while the rest of us tried to get back to our game.

It was made sure that everyone had been to the toilet before leaving the changing rooms after that.

A policy that Wrexham will also implement when I am elected club president!

grobbendonk
Apr 22, 2008
The Most Embarassing Thing I've Seen In Sports?

Watching England over the years is a heart wrenching prospect at the best of times, but its definitely not helped by some classic mistakes. I was going to use the Rob Green mistake vs USA in the World Cup 2010, but I think that's beaten by Paul Robinson in the Euro Qualifier against Croatia 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZkqk-3YjOI

I suppose the silver lining was it got rid of "Shteeve" McClaren.

dadgummit
Dec 14, 2012

like a baby's bottom, smooth and sometimes...
explosive

grobbendonk posted:

The Most Embarassing Thing I've Seen In Sports?

Watching England over the years is a heart wrenching prospect at the best of times, but its definitely not helped by some classic mistakes. I was going to use the Rob Green mistake vs USA in the World Cup 2010, but I think that's beaten by Paul Robinson in the Euro Qualifier against Croatia 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZkqk-3YjOI

I suppose the silver lining was it got rid of "Shteeve" McClaren.

Christ, I remember actually paying to watch that match on pay-per-view. I had forgotten about it, thanks for that.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

CAN YOU. BELIEVE. WHAT WE. JUST SAW.

Also, HOLY MACKINAW!

McGavin fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 26, 2014

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Marc-Andre ter Stegen own goal

nothing can top that

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.

habeasdorkus posted:

Since we're also talking about sports things that have caused us pain, there's the time I was tossing some batting practice before a softball game when I was a summer clerk in Philadelphia. The biggest guy on the team is up, and clobbers the ball. Directly at my ankle.

I didn't break anything, and it wasn't too bad for the rest of the day (I still played in the game, even though I was pretty hobbled), but I could barely walk for a week. Not so much humiliation as just sheer "owww."

Hey I have one of those!

Unlike you, I actually broke the bottom of my leg on this one. I had lined up as receiver in American Football, and the ball was thrown towards me. Unfortunately it was a bit underthrown, so I was reaching behind me to catch it and the lineman covering me (it was only a quick out play) went over me to break it up. Long story short, big fat lineman flattened me and cause I was reaching backwards, my ankle was not in a happy place, and it wound up broken.

The kicker was that this was 5 minutes before the end of the game... and it was only a pre-season scrimmage. Missed the rest of the season :(

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I realized I didn't actually post an embarassing sports moment, just a personal story. So...

My soccer team has great forwards, dude.

This deplorable sequence actually got him the title of "worst striker in the world" by Marca, if I'm not mistaken.

Then he was top goal-scorer for the league the following year and now plays for Valencia. Life changes.

At least, unlike our rivals, our goalkeepers are okay.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
This is definitely the most embarrassing thing I have ever seen in Sport: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iYeifVvAV0

Edit: Though this is a close second...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzzICUVY6F0

A Tartan Tory fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Feb 26, 2014

Kingal
May 29, 2013
the most embarrassing thing I have ever seen in Sport was something i also experienced as well. for some reason a few friends and i decided to start a five a side football team and enter into a league. Now obviously the quality of play is never going to be very high, with most of the teams being made up of men in their late 30's/40's just trying to sustain a modicum of fitness, so a team of 7 17/18 year olds shouldn't do too badly....
after a week or two of meeting up after college to practice and work on our fitness levels we play our eagerly awaited first game...and lose, 37-0. It was one of the most embarrassing experiences of my life, especially as the leagues scores were posted up on the website for all to see. Battered but unbowed we returned the next week to play our second game and lost 27-3, but at least we were improving. after 3 more weeks of this we just gave up and never returned. afraid to show our faces there ever again. i think we ended up with a goal difference of at least -100 with 4-5 games played.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Chapter the Sixth: A very Wrexham Christmas.
December 5, 2017-January 1, 2018

♫I saw Mommy kissing in the personnel office faxing transfer offers with Saaanta Claaaus.♪ Good players find new contracts in their stockings, naughty players find they've been transfer listed.

I spend some time talking with the players privately, giving them an atta-boy or a you-can-do-it or a get-your-act-together as needed. The chats all go well.

I believe, but I'm not certain, that the game is set up so that younger players are more likely to hold you in high regard (if you're not a jerk to them). I'd guess that's because they start with no or few “favored” players or staff, so the game looks to start relationships at their current team. I would also wager that giving them chances to play in the first team also helps.

The good relationships are important, they make it easier to motivate the player, easier to get them to accept reduced roles and new contracts, and allow you to criticize the player without immediately angering them.

It also doesn't hurt me that I usually focus on building up players confidence, the only times I ever get really cross with players is at halftime and if we blow an important game. I also don't irrationally attack any players, if they played well in a losing effort I won't tell them that they stunk. This seems like common sense, but there it is.

Don't worry that your relationship is ruined forever if you happen to piss them off at some point, either, they'll usually come around over time. Luke Reid went from being really pissed off at me for the first half year he played for us to loving me by the end of it. Then he went right back to hating me when I started shopping him around, which is why I took the first offer that came for him.

I also set up some tutoring links, Bailey is the perfect tutor for Shirra, who will eventually take his place when Bailey stops being amazing.

Coulson is the second oldest player on the team, so clearly he should also be mentoring someone. I haven't been doing a very good job on creating these links, other than Reid and Todd I can't recall having done it previously. It doesn't help that we don't have many older players on the club, our average age halfway into the season is 22 and a half.

All of them have been at least as good in League One as they were in League Two. Bailey continues to amaze me, I can't believe I almost let him go after our first season and only brought him back when he failed to latch on with any team and he agreed to a pay cut. We might still be in League Two if I hadn't been given the opportunity to correct that mistake.

The physio suggests a week or two off for all of them, and our next match isn't for eight days, so it's time for EURODISNEY TWO: THE MOUSETRAP.

Next year's World Cup draw occurs, and the US is in a group where they have a chance of advancing, if not a great one.

England is certain to advance.

Wales has as kind a draw as they could have hoped for. Egypt is good, but not great, and the same goes for Croatia. Iran is going to be lucky to not lose three times.

France, Russia, Argentina, and Spain are all destined to advance.

Uruguay and England as well, but Group E is certainly a grupo de la muerte. Chile, Germany, and Italy are all great teams, while South Korea is a solid mid-level international competitor who could easily play spoiler even if they're unlikely to advance.

Brazil is definitely advancing. Group G will see our very own Meteor Mujkic on the biggest stage in the sport, it's not impossible for Australia to advance if they can get lucky. Wales, as mentioned, can advance. The big surprise in this is who didn't qualify. No Netherlands. No Belgium. They were the runner ups at the last two World Cups and lost out in qualifying to the likes of Ireland, Wales, and Norway.

SkyShadowing's opponents should start making more of the hundreds of thousands of pounds sterling on mysterious expenses and salaries to people who've never been seen around the stadium.

Previously:

South Pole, Antarctica:

: Nothing could have survived that explosion in Disney's secret antarctic lair.

: Don't say that, Captain! In the movies whenever someone says that something most definitely did survive!

: Oh, Bailey, you nut. This is real life, not a movie. C'mon mates, we've got a football game to go win!

The End...

OR IS IT?!

(A charred, hulking, rat-like form rises from the still waters of the antarctic)

: I LIVE.

vs. Rochdale, December 13, 2017
Johnstone's Paint Trophy, North Semifinals

This is our only remaining non-league competition, so now I actually want to win this match. That's especially the case as I'm fixing to get promoted and if we are this will be our last crack at the trophy. Rochdale has been a bugbear of ours, we've played them four times, and never won. Our three losses in those four games means that they're one of the teams we have the worst record against. It's time to set that right.

Starting Formation: 4-5-1 Attack
Starting 11: Higgs, Thomas, Lewis, Curran, Smissen, Simpson (c), Holland, Bailey, Coulson, Mujkic, Harrison.
Subs: Peters, Todd, Harper, Gorman, Price.

After an early goal by Harrison I'm hoping that we can just stomp Rochdale and I can relax for the rest of the match. It's not to be. Rochdale equalizes, and then takes the lead before the end of the first half. We show no gumption, and despite having nearly twice as many shots don't create as many scoring opportunities. We're now down to just league games, and it's not even Christmas. Look on the bright side, at least there won't be bad fixture congestion in January now.

Wrexham 1-2 Rochdale

We're positively spendthrift compared to Shrewsbury, who clock in at just under £1.2m salary a year, by far the lowest amount in the league.

I have never seen that Relationship before. Does he tremble when I walk into the room? Go to church but secretly whisper my name when everyone else is saying Lord?

At Shrewsbury, December 16, 2017
League One

Our fellow promotees are performing well above expectations this season. Predicted to be in a relegation fight they're currently sitting just a couple points from the promotion playoffs. It's not going to be an easy match, especially given our inconsistency these last few months.

They are starting this poor seventeen year old as their keeper, though, so I'm going to ask the players to just get as many shots on target as possible since I don't think he has a prayer of stopping any of them except by sheer luck.

Starting Formation: 4-5-1 Counter
Starting 11: Higgs, Tench, Todd, Poole, Harper, Simpson (c), Holland, Bailey, Price, Mujkic, Harrison.
Subs: Taylor, Smissen, Curran, Rainey, Shirra, Gorman, Coulson.

Guys, we can't take advantage of that kid keeper if we don't get shots on goal. We spend the first half not getting a single shot on target, while we're lucky that Shrewsbury is similarly inept in front of our goal. Bailey finally puts us ahead when Shrewsbury does an awful job of defending a Price free kick, and we're ahead by two when a defender seems to think he's in front of our goal and heads in a Mujkic cross. Shrewsbury manages to find a goal of their own in the 90th minute, but thanks to the awful mistake by Shrewsbury's Gabin Nguelet-Foe we win the match.

Man of the Match: Justin Bailey

Shrewsbury 1-2 Wrexham

Price hasn't been that good this season, I probably shouldn't have re-signed him.

Nothing like negotiating with an impatient agent who already doesn't like you. We barely get an agreement on a contract extension for Rainey.

Sure, why the heck not. If he ever scores on one, I'll post the video.

Holland, Simpson, Harper, and Rainey get new contracts, to go along with Curran's earlier this year. It they increase our weekly wage bill by £2000, leaving us £9000 under the cap. Merry Christmas, lads. Now buy your coach a beer.

At Bradford, December 23, 2017
League One

A showdown against another promoted team, Bradford is also doing well in League One. They moved up to 10th place when we beat Shrewsbury. We need to keep winning to not fall further behind the automatic promotion spots, as Bournemouth and Sunderland are having both brilliant seasons right now and have a very real shot at a 100 point season. We're on an 82 point pace, which would be one fewer than the number that last year won League Two, and we're still behind them by six points.

Starting 11: Higgs, Tench, Poole, Lewis, Smissen, Simpson (c), Holland, Bailey, Coulson, Mujkic, Harrison.
Subs: Taylor, Peters, Todd, Harper, Shirra, Rainey, Read.

Prior to the match I edited the tactics a touch. I added an instruction to play a pressing game to our attacking tactic while dropping the look for overlap order. This should mean we're less willing to wait for our opponents to come to us while at the same time not requiring our fullbacks to make as many forward runs. I decide to see if we can't sneak an early goal by going on the offensive from the outset, and we catch Bradford entirely by surprise. William Harrison has a goal disallowed for offsides (he was) but then scores one that counts ten minutes later. Bradford finally get themselves settled down, and I switch us over to our counter tactic, which I've also changed to emphasize tighter marking and a higher tempo of play. That switch pays off when Coulson scores on an amazing run where he beats the entire Bradford defense back before a lovely narrow angle goal. Bradford can't make anything happen until late in the game, when Danny Higgs makes two remarkable saves to preserve the clean sheet and more importantly the win.

Man of the Match: Danny Higgs.

Bradford 0-2 Wrexham

I'll throw my support behind whoever builds me a new youth training facility and promises to embezzle less than 15% of our yearly turnover.

Higgs has improved dramatically over the last six months. He's now better than Al-Beloushi, and still improving.

vs. Notts County, December 26, 2017
League One

The big game of the day is Bournemouth playing at Sunderland. One way or another one of the league leaders is going to drop points. We need to take advantage of this opportunity to pull ourselves closer to their clique.

Starting Formation: 4-5-1 Attack.
Starting 11: Higgs, Peters, Todd, Curran, Smissen, Harper, Simpson (c), Holland, Gorman, Mujkic, Harrison.
Subs: Taylor, Tench, Lewish, Holt, Shirra, Rainey, Coulson.

This game is never close. We allow Notts Co. just four shots all game, and only one is on target. Meanwhile it's all they can do to keep us from scoring at will. Mujkic is the best player on the field, repeatedly skinning his defender and leaving them for dead while launching perfect balls to our waiting attackers. He earns an assist from a corner kick when he finds Stuart Simpson attacking and unmarked in the 29th minute, and adds a goal of his own from point blank range tapping in a Rainey cross after the Notts Co. defense had come completely undone.

Man of the Match: Meteor Mujkic

Wrexham 2-0 Notts Co.

It's four days to the transfer window. Four days until I could find a buyer or at least a someone to take this poor, cursed man on loan.

No one important is coming up for renewal. I'll try to move Price when he's healthy again, and Fox is no longer needed now that Taylor is healthy. We do have a lot of staff contracts coming up, I'll probably wait to sort them out near season's end.

vs Coventry City, December 30, 2017
League One

We're running a little ragged on the edges due to fixture congestion, hence the youngun's in the lineup below. Coventry has been dire during the campaign so far, and if the season ended today would find themselves relegated. We did blow it against Oldham, who are still parked in last place, so I don't want to guarantee victory, but we really should be winning. If we win and Bournemouth loses, we move into second.

Starting 11: Higgs, Tench, Poole, Lewis, Thomas, Harper, Shirra, Bailey, Coulson, Upson, Harrison (c).
Subs: Taylor, Peters, Curran, Simpson, Holt, Rainey, Read.

It's a back and forth first half that leaves me with my heart in my throat, and that ends with four goals split evenly between the two teams. I tell Bailey to get out there and win us this game for us, and he responds with an immediate free kick goal to put us ahead three-two. The second half of the game is just as exciting as the first, but we're able to get away with the win because Coventry didn't bring their finishing boots. We're scoring a ton of goals, but are not looking so strong at the back.

Man of the Match: Justin Bailey

Wrexham 3-2 Coventry

And on the same day he scored his first goal. Too bad.

Eh, Holland can play there in a pinch. But Simpson getting hurt would be a problem. We've got enough central midfielders to cover those two positions, but only three people with any familiarity at defensive mid.

Up Davies! Up Wales!

He's building a pretty nifty little trophy cabinet. This is just what he's won:
x15 Man of the Match
x10 Team of the Week
x1 Player of the Month
x2 Wrexham Best 11
x1 Wrexham Player of the Year
x1 League Team of the Year
x1 Goal of Month
x1 Goal of the Season

He also holds the League Two and FA Cup single season records for Assists. Granted, all those records were reset when the game started, but it's still impressive.

I have to be a frontrunner for Manager of the Year again, we're a full 10 spots above where we were predicted to finish.

Back to untouchable. I am the greatest manager of all time. Tell me I'm wrong, Sir Alex, just try!

vs. Crawley Town, January 1, 2018
League One

Both Wrexham and Crawley are on four game winning streaks, so at least one of those streaks are ending. We've pushed our way into second place, and I want to end this update there, it's a fantastic achievement for our team. I believed that we would be in striking distance of the promotion playoffs at this point in the season, somewhere between eighth and twelfth on the table. We're doing far better than I expected.

Starting 11: Higgs, Peters, Todd, Curran, Smissen, Simpson (c), Holland, Bailey, Rainey, Mujkic, Harrison.
Subs: Taylor, Tench, Lewis, Gorman, Holt, Read, Coulson.

Todd opens the scoring at 37 seconds in. Harrison scores in the 25th minute, and I'm ready for another easy victory. Crawley won't be put away that easily, though, and they pull back a goal in 1st half stoppage time. Despite my admonitions to stay focused because the match is still anyones game, we give up another goal ten minutes after the start of the second half. It's a nervy final half hour, but we walk away with all three points thanks to a 86th minute winner from Harrison, his second of the match. Once again, our scoring is elite, and our defense leaves something to be desired.

Man of the Match: Billy “the Kid” Harrison.

Wrexham 2-1 Crawley

I'm tempted to push the boat out to try and get promoted this season, but I'll have to see who's available.

At the halfway point in the season I couldn't ask for a better performance. We're on pace for a 91 point season, that's crazy considering we just got promoted. And I don't see why we would get worse as the season goes on, our average age is so damned young. We won't even have to deal with fixture congestion from cup matches because of our pathetic performances in them earlier this year, so we'll have well rested players. Next up, though, a team inventory.

I've also chosen the presidential candidates: Kingal, Tarbrush, and Jaguars! and Zeroisanumber are the candidates. DOOP and AJ_Impy were basically level for the last spot, but I gotta go with the buttfumble. Man that was hilarious.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 27, 2014

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Amazing! 15 points and +23 goals up on Tackleford, and we've only just entered the new year! Back to back promotions would be insane!

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
How likely do you think it is that Wrexham would be forced back down immediately after back to back promotions?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

whowhatwhere posted:

How likely do you think it is that Wrexham would be forced back down immediately after back to back promotions?

Unlikely. We might have another season like we did when we first got to League Two, but we've got a lot of talent on this team.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
We have the best goal difference in the whole league :woop:

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
We are strangely doing really good this year, perhaps because we aren't in so many cup competitions?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

habeasdorkus posted:

Unlikely. We might have another season like we did when we first got to League Two, but we've got a lot of talent on this team.
Yeah, a consolidation year would definitely be called for if we had back to back promotions.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
If you win back-to-back promotions and don't take Manager of the Year then there's something basically wrong with the programming on this game. An American taking a lovely Skrill team and pulling them up three divisions in four years would really turn some heads.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Justin Bailey is seriously my favorite player on your team. He was the moment you showed his name. I'm thrilled that he's also doing incredibly well (playing well above his appraised skill level, even!) I'm tempted to try to customize a Wrexham jersey with his name and number on it unironically.

I never want him to leave, but his eventual aging and fall from grace is gonna be so sad for me. It may not be a long time until you get another man like Justin Bailey, but man. :allears: I still think he's one of a kind.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Jenner posted:

Justin Bailey is seriously my favorite player on your team. He was the moment you showed his name. I'm thrilled that he's also doing incredibly well (playing well above his appraised skill level, even!) I'm tempted to try to customize a Wrexham jersey with his name and number on it unironically.

I never want him to leave, but his eventual aging and fall from grace is gonna be so sad for me. It may not be a long time until you get another man like Justin Bailey, but man. :allears: I still think he's one of a kind.

Can you still turn old players into coaches/assistant coaches?

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Bailey for cushy football staff position no matter how useless he is!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

i81icu812 posted:

We could re-name a coach and pretend it was him.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
/\/\/\

:sigh: It's just not the same.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

I'll throw my support behind whoever builds me a new youth training facility and promises to embezzle less than 15% of our yearly turnover.

There's always room to negotiate, old bean, but you seem to have got the 5 and the 1 around the wrong way there.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Actually, if Bailey doesn't turn into a coach or similar, I request that one of the future board members be renamed to Justin Bailey.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I think what's really letting us do well is that our team is so young, and has so much potential, and is relatively unchanged year over year. So everyone is comfortable playing with each other, and everyone keeps getting better. The difference in skill levels between Leagues One and Two aren't that drastic. I also think League One got worse this year.

The game has two under the hood stats for players that define roughly how good they are and how good they can get, CA (Current Ability) and PA (Potential Ability). They range from 0 to 200, and give a very rough view of how good a player is, a guy with a CA of 90 can be better than guys with CA's of 100 or more if they have an optimal distribution of their stats and are playing in a tactical style that suits them, but in general it's accurate. If I'm remembering correctly, the below is correct to within a point or two.

Average player CA in divisions of English Football
Skrill North/South: 60
Skrill Premier: 70
League Two: 90
League One: 100
Championship: 115
Premier League: 135-140

So it's not really that hard to go from Skrill Regional to Skrill Premier, or from League Two to League One, but the other adjustments are larger, with the biggest one coming when you get to the Premier League. So it's not impossible to get double promotions into League Two, then need a consolidation year, then get two more promotions in a row. We've been really helped by our FA Cup paydays, which I've plowed into coaching and which has allowed our young players to keep leapfrogging our current level of competition.

I haven't been checking our own CA/PA stats, knowing how far a player can improve gives me too much information, but I'd guess that we're at an average CA of about 110 right now, and were around 100 last year. I wouldn't be stunned if we get promoted both this year and next year, but that would mean a real relegation fight on our hands in the Premier League. It would also mean a ton of money for us.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

i81icu812 posted:

It depends. Near the end of a player's career, you can suggest certain staff roles to him. Now, there's no guarantee that he'll want that job, or even that he'll want to stay in football, but if you badger him enough, you can usually get him signed as a staff member. No guarantees that he's even halfway decent though.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Bailey's only 23. He's got a lot of playing career left. The real question is what level we'll be at when he finally stop being awesome, he's got the best rating of any player in League One. At this rate he's going to be with us to the Premier League.

If he's somehow still on the team when he turns 30 I'll definitely recommend he become a coach.

The ingame supporters agree with y'all about Bailey, btw, he's marked as a "favored personnel" on the info screen.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

i81icu812 posted:

Yes, players who retire can be hired for virtually any staff position by the player or anyone. It's one of my favorite things to do. I keep them set for life.

• Locked thread