Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PunkBoy posted:

"I'm only in this for the steak." :colbert:

Actually, the only times I've heard Lightning sound somewhat happy/proud was when she's talking about eating/grilling Behemoth steak, which granted, is probably justified.

Lightning loving loves steak and talking about steak. Given how much she talks about cooking over campfires, I want to believe that when it was her night to cook before the events of 13 she just went in the backyard and made a fire instead of using the stove.

As for how the games rate relative to each other, I think LR is the best, followed by 13, with 13-2 pretty far in the rear. Linearity and batshit stories are not problems for me, so I don't really have a problem with 13. 13-2 just added a bunch of things I hated (Serah, pointless towns, a tedious and grindy pet raising system) or was a step back in a lot of ways, particularly the lack of difficulty. There were certainly parts of it that I liked, but they weren't enough to overcome the bad. LR just has a great battle system and difficulty curve, its non-linearity is done well, the music and visuals are good, it does some neat things in the story and side quests, and Lightning herself is actually a pretty enjoyable character, even if her characterization is pretty inconsistent.

All that being said, I can't really disagree with most criticisms like the overarching story being insane and early game combat being kind of rough, but those just don't bother me that much.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

McDragon posted:

Well, the way I did it was to link a Facebook account in the settings, went to the Lightning Returns page (I think there's a link on the Square Enix one), wrestled with the app for a bit, and they all popped up at the bottom of the screen after a bit of fiddling about. As far as I can tell you can't actually download them unless you take a screenshot. Anyway, apparently it only saves the last 100 you took, and I'm pretty sure battle rankings count towards that too.

Oh, it had all the ones I took before linking it as well, which was nice.

Dunno if there's an easier way, but that's how I did it.

Does it poo poo up your whole Facebook profile with final fantasy images though? Don't really want to spam my friends with nerd posts.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

Aurain posted:

The line of shields with flowers on top and good ATB recovery have the same maxed stats when upgraded. The 500k one is no better than the 4k one. That's a real player troll and a half.

That's true for all the classes of weapons/shields. The main benefit to getting more expensive shields/weapons are you need to upgrade them less. So, you get a choice between farming gil or farming upgrade material.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Systematic System posted:

That's true for all the classes of weapons/shields. The main benefit to getting more expensive shields/weapons are you need to upgrade them less. So, you get a choice between farming gil or farming upgrade material.

I suppose it means you can choose your favourite stuff aesthetically too, which is neat.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Does it poo poo up your whole Facebook profile with final fantasy images though? Don't really want to spam my friends with nerd posts.

Not sure I'm afraid, iOS games forced me into making a special nerd post account a while back so I just used that one. I think you can probably do something to mean only you see them though.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
So, it's day 7 and I've completed just about everything apart from some quests involving exterminating stuff. I noticed that enemies are already dropping better stuff like Aeroga and things, if I wait til day 11 or 12 will they drop even better stuff? Or can I go eradicate all life as we know it now without losing out?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Gerblyn posted:

So, it's day 7 and I've completed just about everything apart from some quests involving exterminating stuff. I noticed that enemies are already dropping better stuff like Aeroga and things, if I wait til day 11 or 12 will they drop even better stuff? Or can I go eradicate all life as we know it now without losing out?

Drops change (and monsters get stronger) on day 7, and again on day 10. So if you want the best drops, you should wait until day 10 to exterminate most things.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Schwartzcough posted:

Drops change (and monsters get stronger) on day 7, and again on day 10. So if you want the best drops, you should wait until day 10 to exterminate most things.

Awesome, I guess I'll just sit in the Inn for the next 3 days then. Makes me feel a bit silly for obsessively spamming Chronostasis for 5 days straight :doh:

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hmm I already exterminated Niblets, Gremlins, Dryads, Rafflesia, Miniflan, and those rear end in a top hat monkeys. What awesome things am I missing out on? I'm about to start day 9.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Hmm I already exterminated Niblets, Gremlins, Dryads, Rafflesia, Miniflan, and those rear end in a top hat monkeys. What awesome things am I missing out on? I'm about to start day 9.

Reavers. Try to get the normal sword they drop too. It has a 10% chance to drop after you kill them if you perfect guard them once they are in phase 2.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah I have a few shard blades. The Last Reaver appeared but I haven't killed it yet. I meant in reference to guys dropping better poo poo on day 10, my bad. Am I missing out on all the thundagas from monkeys or what?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Most normal enemies drop the same skills on later days, just at a higher level. So Gremlins can drop any of the 4 basic elemental spells at level 1 for the first 6 days, but on days 7-9 they can drop level 2 versions, and on days 10-13 they can drop level 3 versions. However, they'll never start dropping Thundara or Thundaga or anything. There are some exceptions, though, like Dryads will start dropping Aerora in addition to Aero on day 7+. Also, a lot of enemies will start dropping malistones for skill upgrading on day 7 or 10.

For specifics on each monster, the bestiary has all the drops listed for the different days.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Also keep in mind, when you fight monsters in chaos zones, abilities they drop have a chance to have special auto-abilities, usually the best quality that auto-ability can have. So for monsters you want abilities from, it'd be a good idea to not exterminate (or kill that many of them) till you've unlocked the highways, where chaos zones spawn frequently.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Just beat it a minute ago, and out of all the absolutely silly plot stuff, I'm glad one of the few things thing I genuinely cared about got a good conclusion. Noel got to reunite with his Yuel. :allears:

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Skip 13, play 13-2 and play this one. 13 is a bad boring game.

I agree with this.

I made a four paragraph explanation on why XIII was such a slog for me, but I'm just gonna make a small list here to make everyone's lives easier.

1. Limits on leveling up until you beat the game
2. Leveling up takes poo poo-tons of EXP if you want to fill your Crystarium. Have fun cheating Adamantoises with Death!
3. Leveling equipment takes poo poo-tons of gil/farming.
4. Linear dungeons.
5. No towns.

I used to add in the game's characters and music as reasons as well, but I think I was just using those as scapegoats. In reality, FFXIII wouldn't make a terrible anime movie (which I'm sure is already on youtube), but as a game, I just find it incredibly boring with very little player input. Atleast, until after you beat the game, when it doesn't even matter to me anymore...

FFXIII-2 and LR solve every single issue I have with the original game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Overlord K posted:

Just beat it a minute ago, and out of all the absolutely silly plot stuff, I'm glad one of the few things thing I genuinely cared about got a good conclusion. Noel got to reunite with his Yuel. :allears:

A YUEL WHO LOVED BAGGY PANTS. A YUEL WHO LIKED TO COSPLAY AS KINGDOM HEARTS CHARACTERS. A YUEL WHO DREAMED OF VISITING DISNEYLAND. I have known them all! They have all died, right before my very eyes!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gologle posted:

A YUEL WHO LOVED BAGGY PANTS. A YUEL WHO LIKED TO COSPLAY AS KINGDOM HEARTS CHARACTERS. A YUEL WHO DREAMED OF VISITING DISNEYLAND. I have known them all! They have all died, right before my very eyes!

You can't say his ending didn't fit the character, though! :v:

The Grimace posted:

I agree with this.

I made a four paragraph explanation on why XIII was such a slog for me, but I'm just gonna make a small list here to make everyone's lives easier.

2. Leveling up takes poo poo-tons of EXP if you want to fill your Crystarium. Have fun cheating Adamantoises with Death!
4. Linear dungeons.
5. No towns.

I used to add in the game's characters and music as reasons as well, but I think I was just using those as scapegoats. In reality, FFXIII wouldn't make a terrible anime movie (which I'm sure is already on youtube), but as a game, I just find it incredibly boring with very little player input. Atleast, until after you beat the game, when it doesn't even matter to me anymore...

FFXIII-2 and LR solve every single issue I have with the original game.
I'm going to cut in on point 4 and 5, because I think they're basically the same. Take FFX, it's not much less linear (you can backtrack more, but most places have an entrance and an exit) but there's a bunch of town and puzzle segments to break things up, so while the path is straight, there's the illusion of more variety in where you've gone and what you do. FFXIII dropped that in favour of, essentially, GOTTA GO FAST! Trying to keep things moving by never really letting up, you're always potentially in combat, never 'safe'. That does make sense with the fugitive plot, but it's exhausting and one-note over the course of a JRPG. An 8 hour Naughty Dog 3rd person shooter, hey, it could well work (and even they have cooldown segments in their games, like the village in Uncharted 2), but constant drive over 40hrs is not going to work.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

All I can say is that FFXIII-2 is probably my least favorite FF game and I can't imagine anyone considering it a step up.

The Grimace posted:

And no offense is meant by this but most of this doesn't explain it to me. You can do literally everything in FFXIII without grinding. It's completely and entirely unnecessary. Unless you're going for a platinum trophy you don't need to do any of that stuff. That's it. If you want EXP, cheesing Adamnotises with Death isn't the way to go. The only reason anyone did that is because there were trying to grind items for the Platinum Trophy/Gamerscore. The same with leveling every piece of equipment to max. (You needed one of every item or something ridiculous like that.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Feb 28, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

All I can say is that FFXIII-2 is probably my least favorite FF game and I can't imagine anyone considering it a step up.

It's paced better, the combat system is pretty much a more refined version of the one from XIII and the time travel mechanic was neat. It's a more pleasant experience to actually play, if only for the fact that you don't have terrible plodding sections which make you feel like you played for 4 hours and made no progress (looking at the loving musical tower from XIII).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

the combat system is pretty much a more refined version of the one from XIII

The system has more refined mechanics but every single bit of combat design balance is removed so it doesn't matter. This is the thing I don't get. There is nothing you can do in FFXIII-2 short of not leveling up your characters which makes the combat work and if you do that FFXIII is still better designed for a no-leveling run.

I can understand LR solving the problems you had with FFXIII because it pretty much does change a lot. FFXIII-2 only solves problems in awful superficial ways. Hell, part of why I liked Lightning Returns more that its predecessor was that it went back to having leveling limits. You can't grind for levels at all and there's a hard stat limit that increases with each day baked into the sidequests you can do and the fact that higher-level skills don't drop until later days.It even limits how much you can power up until you finish the game because you don't unlock weapon smithing until you've finished the game at least once.

LR has a clear scaling sense of power and eventually you can overwhelm your opponents but never quite in a way that feels like you can just mash X to win every fight nor in a way where you feel like you need to avoid combat. I got this feeling sometimes in FFXIII. I never got it from FFXIII-2 outside of the pay-for DLC fights.

I guess I'm just bewildered that XIII-2 is being held up as the high point of the subfranchise. (Not by anyone in particular, just in general and in reviews.) Even if you liked FFXIII-2's improvements, it feels to me like LR does everything it claims to have done better but actually does it better. Except monster recruiting/A 3-person party, I guess.

Gaz-L posted:

if only for the fact that you don't have terrible plodding sections which make you feel like you played for 4 hours and made no progress

And all I can say about this is "Academia 400 AF"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 28, 2014

Kuai
May 25, 2004
Does anyone have a way to cheese Ereshkigal on a first playthrough? I really just wanna finish this game and start on Bravely Default asap :negative:.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kuai posted:

Does anyone have a way to cheese Ereshkigal on a first playthrough? I really just wanna finish this game and start on Bravely Default asap :negative:.

He's vulnerable to poison once you stagger him. Just create defensive garbs with good stagger moves, throw poison on and let his health slowly chunk down while you ride out his attacks.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Honestly, I don't even think that's a cheesy way to do it. I think the developers intended it. Always gotta have one boss with a stupid gimmick to win.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It was less so in XIII, but XIII's super boss was also one of those flying Cieth with a huge weakness to poison so it's definitely intended.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The system has more refined mechanics but every single bit of combat design balance is removed so it doesn't matter. This is the thing I don't get. There is nothing you can do in FFXIII-2 short of not leveling up your characters which makes the combat work and if you do that FFXIII is still better designed for a no-leveling run.

And all I can say about this is "Academia 400 AF"

There was about 2 small sections of that area that are annoying. The rest only if you're the kind of person who will fight any enemy that comes near you. I'm not. If I don't need money or XP, I'll skip fights. Where as the design of that goddamn tower makes avoiding combat impossible. Getting caught in combat throws you out of thinking about the puzzle, so you end up doing the same thing 3 goddamn times...

I'm sorry, you will never convince me that Academia is better than that loving thing. I hate it. HATE it. Imagine AM from I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream. That's how much I hate it.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Schwartzcough posted:

Good to see Jack Skellington still getting work.

Great, now I'm imagining a mix between this and Oogie's Revenge. It's very weird, and unfortunately still has lots of "AH-HAH!".

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Aurain posted:

It was less so in XIII, but XIII's super boss was also one of those flying Cieth with a huge weakness to poison so it's definitely intended.

I think XIII-2 had one of those too.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
I think that LR is my favorite in the XIII series. Like, overall it is, but I still contend that FFXIII from the beginning of the game up to the first Barthandelus fight is probably the best story in the XIII series and Noel/Caius are probably the best characters.

Refused
Sep 6, 2005
LR is definitely my favorite game of the three XIII installments, too. It has the best gameplay and is nonlinear in a good way. It's a shame it's not being particularly well received, because while the battle system is good as is, I can see a lot of interesting ways they could evolve it to be even better. My only real complaint is a relative lack of content compared to the others - more story quests, monster variety, an actual bonus dungeon, etc would have been nice.

Story-wise I think XIII started with a fairly good base, with some interesting concepts and settings, it just flies completely off the rails at some point and never looks back. Also huge chunks of it are apparently in the datalog which I'm never gonna read. Then XIII-2 is just stupid, and LR doesn't fare much better.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I find the concept of "500 years of stagnation" in LR pretty cool, and I think it generally hits the creepy/depressing tone well, especially in the sidequests.

EDIT: Speaking of creepy/depressing, the stories the Seed Hunters start telling are pretty interesting. :stare:

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Feb 28, 2014

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Refused posted:

LR is definitely my favorite game of the three XIII installments, too. It has the best gameplay and is nonlinear in a good way. It's a shame it's not being particularly well received, because while the battle system is good as is, I can see a lot of interesting ways they could evolve it to be even better. My only real complaint is a relative lack of content compared to the others - more story quests, monster variety, an actual bonus dungeon, etc would have been nice.

Story-wise I think XIII started with a fairly good base, with some interesting concepts and settings, it just flies completely off the rails at some point and never looks back. Also huge chunks of it are apparently in the datalog which I'm never gonna read. Then XIII-2 is just stupid, and LR doesn't fare much better.

Yes. The story was intriguing when it was about a group of people who were cursed by the unfeeling, unthinking Demi-gods of their weird floating machine planet but took a turn as soon as one of those Demi-gods who's motives were seemingly unknowable turned out to be a cackling villain. Though his battle theme was incredible. The set-up of XIII's universe, the whole l'cie/fal'cie/cie'th thing, despite the dumb rear end names, was really good and such a waste and almost completely forgotten about in the subsequent games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

There was about 2 small sections of that area that are annoying. The rest only if you're the kind of person who will fight any enemy that comes near you. I'm not. If I don't need money or XP, I'll skip fights. Where as the design of that goddamn tower makes avoiding combat impossible. Getting caught in combat throws you out of thinking about the puzzle, so you end up doing the same thing 3 goddamn times...

I'm sorry, you will never convince me that Academia is better than that loving thing. I hate it. HATE it. Imagine AM from I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream. That's how much I hate it.

You've got to be thinking of another area because part of the reason Academia is a giant pile of poo poo is that the fights don't even drop experience/money. It seriously is just the worst area in any Final Fantasy game.

I guess I can understand thinking XIII-2 is better if you actively avoid all combat at all times but man, I don't think I could make it through any game in the subseries that way considering the combat system is about the only thing it really had going for it.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Feb 28, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Academia 400 really isn't that bad. The fights are frequent and give no reward, but they're absolutely effortless and the area is short and simple to navigate. You can be done with it in 30 minutes. There's no reason for the enemies to be there in that number, but it'll never be the worst area in FF considering the fact that FF8's desert prison is a thing. As is the Lunatic Pandora. And that prison where you can't use magic in FF9. And the Via Infinito. And the FF8 sewer in Deling City. And that bit where you need to jump on that green pole in FF7.

Man, FF8 has a lot of poo poo areas.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 28, 2014

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Aurain posted:

Academia 400 really isn't that bad. The fights are frequent and give no reward, but they're absolutely effortless and the area is short and simple to navigate. You can be done with it in 30 minutes. There's no reason for the enemies to be there in that number, but it'll never be the worst area in FF considering the fact that FF8's desert prison is a thing. As is the Lunatic Pandora. And that prison where you can't use magic in FF9. And the Via Infinito. And the FF8 sewer in Deling City. And that bit where you need to jump on that green pole in FF7.

At no point in my playthrough of FFVIII (or any FF except XIII-2) did I actually reset my game because I thought it was bugged out and throwing too many encounters my way. It is the worst encounter rate the series has had since the drat NES days. I could be done with it in 5 minutes if there were no encounters. Being an easy waste of time doesn't mean it wasn't still a waste of god damned time.

gently caress Academia 400.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9
I think I'm just poo poo at pulling off beatdown or heavy slash combos or whathaveyou. I know heavy slash doesn't chain into a combo but I seemingly never launch and enemy although I've managed to see Lightning go airborne in her attacks.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

McDragon posted:

I think XIII-2 had one of those too.

gently caress that guy, he's a giant rear end in a top hat.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Aurain posted:

Yeah, my point was that there's only about 2 points where remotely annoying enemies spawn. The rest you can either beat in seconds, or skip entirely.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I'm almost done with LR and I had no idea there even were combos / perfect attacks. Did they go over that in a tutorial or is it buried in the datalog again? I guess I've just been buttonmashing my way to victory.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I think a tutorial pop up thing comes up in the beginning of the game? Once? I know you can go back through the datalog and look at them though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
It's mentioned you can get perfect attacks and guards by timing your button presses. For physical attacks it's when it lands, for magic it's when the spell goes, and for guarding it's right as you're hit. I think it's during the first boss fight with the dragon thing.

• Locked thread