Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Quantity ≠ quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I slept for 18 hours. I had a second shift yesterday but was starting to have small blackouts so I just said gently caress it and went home. Morning manager was fine with that, the percoset-riddled one said "You're sick? Bring a doctor's note." (despite having been told twice earlier I was sick and everyone asking why I didn't stay home). I swear she spends every shift with this magnificent dull-eyed sort of dopey haze look. Feel marginally better enough to spend 8 hours tonight on a close and then another 7 tomorrow opening. Liver-ruining cocktail of drugs, here I come.

At least I should squeak out enough to make rent. Start of next month I'm making subtle noises about wanting that promised server upgrade, else I'm just leaving for someplace else since hiring season is starting soon.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I have a two-week trial as a kitchen porter at the end of March.

If I'm going to be a KP, I had probably ought to take up smoking.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!
I was organizing the fridge yesterday and came across this little gem:

Why not just slice one more tomato, or put it in the the full case sitting right underneath that one?

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Rockzilla posted:

Why not just slice one more tomato, or put it in the the full case sitting right underneath that one?

My manager is pretty big on keeping things neat and combining partially used-up cases (of frozen bread products, mind you) saves a ton of space. This poo poo would get you a talking-to.

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.
Looks like they're either

1. Lazy
2. Super anal about not combining separate batches of things.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Rockzilla posted:

Why are you putting tomatoes in the fridge in the first place?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Thumposaurus posted:

Why are you putting tomatoes in the fridge in the first place?

Some city health departments flip their poo poo if you don't refrigerate produce. I don't particularly understand it.

e: I've gotten 5 points off a health inspection because we don't care if the produce walkin is over 50F.

Chef De Cuisinart fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Feb 25, 2014

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

I flip my poo poo if cases of wine or liquor in my cellar aren't consolidated. How am I going to have room to store bordeaux futures if you leave half open crates when there's a perfectly good rack with space open in the right bin? Makes inventory a loving nightmare too.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Shabadu posted:

I flip my poo poo if cases of wine or liquor in my cellar aren't consolidated. How am I going to have room to store bordeaux futures if you leave half open crates when there's a perfectly good rack with space open in the right bin? Makes inventory a loving nightmare too.

I remember the time I worked at a liquor store, that was always fun. I had no need to but I got anal about inventory consolidation and cleanliness and organization. Heck I'm the same about inventory as a backwaiter, but it's a lot faster and doesn't cost $60 per item that I'm sorting. It makes life so much easier if a few seconds is taken each action to make sure things are left sorted and organized.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I'm always that way with walk-ins, too. Never know when you'll need something RIGHT GODDAMN NOW during service, and being able to find it quickly is the difference between a save and re-firing a dish.

Sir Spaniard
Nov 9, 2009

We have no garlic. No garlic.

How does that happen.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Sir Spaniard posted:

We have no garlic. No garlic.

How does that happen.

I've worked at a brick oven pizza place that ran out of dough and a place that had a fancy mac n cheese night than ran out of macaroni.

Who fuckin knows? :shrug:

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

When I was managing the diner I probably uttered the words "smaller containers" more often in a given week than I told my mother I love her.

I should call my mom.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Is there like a certification/window decal/etc you can get for having a latex-free kitchen? I know there's folks with latex allergies who pretty much don't eat out and it'd be nice if there were some easy thing we could do to bring attention to our getting rid of it.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Trebuchet King posted:

Is there like a certification/window decal/etc you can get for having a latex-free kitchen? I know there's folks with latex allergies who pretty much don't eat out and it'd be nice if there were some easy thing we could do to bring attention to our getting rid of it.

no don't you see GLUTEN FREE is far more important and vital to your restaurant and isn't it funny how only a very small portion of the population had celiac's disease until a few years ago

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Black August posted:

no don't you see GLUTEN FREE is far more important and vital to your restaurant and isn't it funny how only a very small portion of the population had celiac's disease until a few years ago

Eh, I have some friends with legit diagnosed gluten issues and I think that with an increased awareness leads to people with less serious but still unpleasant reactions getting a proper diagnoses. Specifically I have a buddy who can eat a sauce with flour in it and be fine but say a bowl of bread pudding will force a long date with a toilet. He is pretty pleased to now know what is going on so he can work out what is "worth it" in terms of pleasure/poop.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

It's easy to tell who has a genuine, serious case of Celiac's disease because they're always very polite and thorough about their needs, and are friendly and grateful when we help them have a nice meal.

In other news, my restaurant has been way over-staffed for months. I know it's the slow season, etc. etc. but I can't live off of 2-3 shifts a week. Guess it's time to update the resume again.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Kenning posted:

In other news, my restaurant has been way over-staffed for months. I know it's the slow season, etc. etc. but I can't live off of 2-3 shifts a week. Guess it's time to update the resume again.

The grass is always greener, friendo. We're still short in our house, the banquet board is four motherfucking columns deep with tickets for tomorrow alone, and bossman's bossman has made it very very very crystal clear in voluminous and voluble deployments of Anglo-Saxon prose that there is to be not so much as one beshitted minute of OT. For anyone. No excuses. The budget, you know?

Oh Hey, Another Great Reason To Never Accept Salary

e; I saw a beautiful thing today. The new banquet sous came over to the cold side of the kitchen for some odd thing or other and saw a server and new restaurant manager--who, for the record, looks exactly like a jack russel terrier in what's admittedly an immaculately cut and kept suit--both (ugh) looking for a handful of rolls (argh) with the walkin cooler door flung and kept wide open for reasons that likely made sense to them at the time (aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAA).

And I saw it. I saw, in the wild, the side-to-side-oh-god-no-what-no-oh-jesus-no-not-this-never-this-oh-jesus-gently caress-help-no-i-cant-believe mortified head shake from Italian Spiderman completely unprompted and unconscious.

Might start a betting pool whether the sous has a stroke or lives long enough to release hulkmania upon the front house staff

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 26, 2014

revdrkevind
Dec 15, 2013
ASK:lol: ME:lol: ABOUT:lol: MY :lol:TINY :lol:DICK

also my opinion on :females:
:haw::flaccid: :haw: :flaccid: :haw: :flaccid::haw:

bunnielab posted:

Eh, I have some friends with legit diagnosed gluten issues and I think that with an increased awareness leads to people with less serious but still unpleasant reactions getting a proper diagnoses. Specifically I have a buddy who can eat a sauce with flour in it and be fine but say a bowl of bread pudding will force a long date with a toilet. He is pretty pleased to now know what is going on so he can work out what is "worth it" in terms of pleasure/poop.

Long-time reader, first time contributor. TLDR: Saying "gluten sensitivity is a fad" doesn't take away from the fact that there are real things happening to (some) people, but not everyone diagnosed with gluten issues actually has gluten issues.

For example:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/gluten-sensitivity-may-be-a-misnomer/

The problem is that the diagnosis right now is by association, using elimination diets, and not by any study of causation (except in the case of true celiac disease, where actual tests can be run).

But people who have this supposed gluten sensitivity are often set off by other products that by all rights shouldn't be causing issues, such as distilled white vinegar. Researchers are pretty sure there's something else going on, but there are a whole lot of (white, middle-to-upper-class) people who seem happy to be part of the gluten fad and who therefore don't pursue further treatment since they can self-medicate by going crazy at the Whole Foods and "feel" better by suffering with a faulty diagnosis without actually getting better.

*Or maybe they just have issues with digestion, which could be psychosomatic. How many of these people just have body image issues that would have been bulimia or anorexia a while back (especially the puking up after meals) but now when they throw up they just blame it on someone poisoning them with gluten since virtually everything is a potential vector. These people could still really be suffering from a serious condition, but that condition isn't necessarily gluten sensitivity. They go on an elimination diet, and throw up less when they don't have bread (think of all the "carbs are bad" propaganda), and voila, "gluten sensitive".

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I don't think people can mentally make themselves poop pudding but idk, not a doctor or pudding pooper. I seem to remember lactose intolerance being a "thing" maybe 10 years ago with the same status as a fad and a similar small group of friends who were able to use that knowledge to achieve firmer poops, which is all anyone really wants.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Kenning posted:

It's easy to tell who has a genuine, serious case of Celiac's disease because they're always very polite and thorough about their needs, and are friendly and grateful when we help them have a nice meal.

No no no. All you need to do is get a ballpeen hammer, and introduce yourself to your coworkers knees. Find one who is really lovely so no-one will mind.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Business Gorillas posted:

I've worked at a brick oven pizza place that ran out of dough and a place that had a fancy mac n cheese night than ran out of macaroni.

Who fuckin knows? :shrug:

I once showed up for work at a pizza place and they hadn't paid the utility bill.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Drink and Fight posted:

I once showed up for work at a pizza place and they hadn't paid the utility bill.

I showed up for lunch at one a couple months ago that had the same problem. They're all "we dunno, must be a problem with the power in the building v:confused:v" but meanwhile all the shops to the right and left of them have no issue. Hope springs eternal, though; they still tried to sell us salads on our way out.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Drink and Fight posted:

I kept waiting for this to happen at the bakery.

So, two updates on that front. One, I stopped in to pick up my last check today, as it was payday. Check was nowhere to be found, but I had a nice chat with my former co-workers about the jobs they had just interviewed for elsewhere. Called the boss, and he gave me the 'check is in the mail' speech, despite the whole bit where it's against Iowa law to mail paychecks without prior signed consent. So I'm rear end broke and hoping he actually mailed it -and- it doesn't bounce.

On the other hand, I just accepted an IT job for double my old hourly pay and full bennies, doing 4 overnights a week.

In the end, I think I win. So long as I can survive until my new paychecks start this time next month...

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

you should legit just fill one of these out right now.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Way ahead of you there.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

revdrkevind posted:

Long-time reader, first time contributor. TLDR: Saying "gluten sensitivity is a fad" doesn't take away from the fact that there are real things happening to (some) people, but not everyone diagnosed with gluten issues actually has gluten issues.

For example:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/gluten-sensitivity-may-be-a-misnomer/

The problem is that the diagnosis right now is by association, using elimination diets, and not by any study of causation (except in the case of true celiac disease, where actual tests can be run).

But people who have this supposed gluten sensitivity are often set off by other products that by all rights shouldn't be causing issues, such as distilled white vinegar. Researchers are pretty sure there's something else going on, but there are a whole lot of (white, middle-to-upper-class) people who seem happy to be part of the gluten fad and who therefore don't pursue further treatment since they can self-medicate by going crazy at the Whole Foods and "feel" better by suffering with a faulty diagnosis without actually getting better.

*Or maybe they just have issues with digestion, which could be psychosomatic. How many of these people just have body image issues that would have been bulimia or anorexia a while back (especially the puking up after meals) but now when they throw up they just blame it on someone poisoning them with gluten since virtually everything is a potential vector. These people could still really be suffering from a serious condition, but that condition isn't necessarily gluten sensitivity. They go on an elimination diet, and throw up less when they don't have bread (think of all the "carbs are bad" propaganda), and voila, "gluten sensitive".

I just lurk in this thread because you guys are interesting and funny and I need occasional reminders never to invest in a restaurant, but please don't do this. Purging due to an eating disorder is absolutely nothing like the involuntary vomiting that can happen from food allergies, and it's ignorant and offensive to lump the two together. This thread is really at its worst when you guys bitch about dietary restrictions. Accommodate your customers or ask them to eat elsewhere, don't internet-diagnose serious issues like a goon.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

so about that latex thing, any input that isn't just stirring the gluten-bitchfest pot? All I've found are just resource sites for latex-allergic folks.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If you're super duper cereal about a latex-free kitchen, get a local sign maker to cut a vinyl decal to that effect.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

That's more or less what I was thinking; I was just worried some organization would bring out their lawyers if we just made our own/dubbed ourselves so.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Trebuchet King posted:

That's more or less what I was thinking; I was just worried some organization would bring out their lawyers if we just made our own/dubbed ourselves so.

Just throw condoms at them until they go away.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Trebuchet King posted:

I wouldn't risk it beyond a sign that said something "we make every effort to ensure that no latex equipment is used in our restaurant, however we are unable to guarantee that all items are latex-free at all parts of the supply chain" because you're just going to get destroyed of you make that promise and turn out to not be 100% correct.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Ah, fair point. I know we made the switch to... nitrile, I think? but there's no way of telling what our suppliers/shippers/etc use. Oh well, I guess it's an opportunity to practice my spin technique when I make my formal pitch.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

There is pretty much no reason not to use nitrile gloves anyway, so good on you.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm 100% latex free

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Me too! But only in the bedroom! (Cause I am pathetically single).

Is it bad that everyone who I talk to asks me why I am not/ no longer a chef?

bunnyofdoom fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Feb 27, 2014

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just tell 'em your hourly wage.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

bunnyofdoom posted:

"Health and sanity."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

breadingbutter
Dec 28, 2013

by Ralp
Well I worked 6 months as a dishwasher and now i'm really really good at that (600+ breakfast covers on top of line dump and prep dishes, also powering plates up to the bussers (which i know i shouldn't do but drat if they listen to me, and that metro rack can only hold so much weight...)

after quite a bit of thought (easy - nobody to talk to back there) i emailed hr telling them to advance me to busser at another restaurant or increase my pay(with more responsibility, i've already been training the new dishwashers and putting stock on ice, fetching this and that, made the lamb stock, etc).
i worked tonight (friday night) and was feeling a bit indignent when one of the cooks came back to yell at me about picking up the saute drop pan when i was busy clearing glassware and sorting silverware (really? you can come back to bully me but you can't drop the pans yourself when i'm busy and there are no tickets up?), so that was a 5-minute break for a cig while the dishpit piled up.

i stayed on, though. i've been hulking out on dish and they'd be pretty sore if i dropped the ball on them (i'm a nice guy like that) plus walking out on my customers (the line) would be a pretty poor image to give of myself when under scrutiny for that busser position. been clearing "perfectly" every night (and a few mornings) which of course worked against me, so the ultimatum (holding my job hostage basically) seemed the best option for me.

also my gatorade mix is 1:1 sprite:tonic on ice from the bar gun :black101:

PS (man food costs are getting wicked bad lately :saddowns:)

e: i told the sous about the pay increase and he gave me a line about "hiring freeze, company wide, no pay increases blah blah"
so i was like "i checked the website, the email is already sent" the look on his face was worth it :owned:, i understand now what his job is like so i don't hold any bad feelings against him for it.

breadingbutter fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Mar 1, 2014

• Locked thread