Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

quote:

The Wisconsin Club for Growth's lawsuit contends that the initial John Doe investigation "grew into an ongoing audit of the Walker campaigns, allowing prosecutors an inside track to scrutinize actions of Walker staffers as they were taken, despite that they were unrelated to the original purported purpose of the investigation."

Oh wow "You weren't supposed to be here watching us break the law so we want you to stop this investigation." You think they will reserve a cell for Walker next to Blagojevich?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

skaboomizzy posted:

What in the last four years of national politics gives you any hope Republicans will stop saying incendiary, ignorant things?

Well, I know that I personally don't hope they stop saying incendiary, ignorant things. I fact, I hope they do say them as loudly and as often as they're able to.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

skaboomizzy posted:

What in the last four years of national politics gives you any hope Republicans will stop saying incendiary, ignorant things?

Natural selection. When Republican candidates say stupid, hateful things, the electorate usually has a way of shutting that whole thing down.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Cease to Hope posted:

Natural selection. When Republican candidates say stupid, hateful things, the electorate usually has a way of shutting that whole thing down.

It seems that currently most of them are the product of some form of adverse selection, where saying stupid and hateful things can actually be selected for.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cease to Hope posted:

Republican candidates are selected via a 2-gate procedure where the first set of requirements contradict the second, so they all fail the second.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

api call girl posted:

It seems that currently most of them are the product of some form of adverse selection, where saying stupid and hateful things can actually be selected for.

Can be?

It is, for conservatives. If it isn't "oh he's so brave to say what everyone's thinking" it's "oh that liberal media fabricating outrage" and "WHO ARE THE REAL RACISTS HERE?" in fundraising emails.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

Spaceman Future! posted:

Oh wow "You weren't supposed to be here watching us break the law so we want you to stop this investigation." You think they will reserve a cell for Walker next to Blagojevich?

No, the cell next to Blagojevich is reserved for hair cafe products.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

This isn't a good way to appear innocent. Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Did Biden actually say that the nation is doing well "in spite of who's president?" or is this a false story? I can only seem to find it on right-wing web sites.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Meanwhile in 2020...

He did it on a dare

Gygaxian
May 29, 2013
Well, at least he won't be confused with his twin brother anymore.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
A warm reception for the Governor at Christie's town hall meeting today.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
That "time for some caucus problems in Iowa" is pretty good.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Fuckin' magical :allears:

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Voter suppression confirmed

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

SedanChair posted:

I can't think of people more prone to huffing their own farts and calling it roses than the people on Morning Joe. So yeah, sounds like a possibility.
Perhaps someone from the Slate Political Gabfest will run too - Plotz, I'm guessing.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Plotz would be a great president. Isolationist pro-palestinian jew in favour of single-payer health care who thinks he's a yankee republican.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Harry Reid recently speculated that Nevada's legal brothels could cause Republicans to avoid choosing Las Vegas for the 2016 convention, but Sheri's Ranch Brothel is having none of it.

quote:

Sheri’s Ranch Brothel points to the rates of sex trafficking in Tampa, Fla., as not exactly a disqualifying factor in the city’s hosting of the 2012 Republican convention.

“These serious prostitution-related issues didn’t seem to bother Republicans when they considered Tampa, so why would they have an issue with a state that enforces legal prostitution? After all, Nevada’s licensed brothels only allow safe sex between mature consenting adults in a secure, STD-free environment,” the brothel said in its response. “Sex trafficking and child prostitution are abhorred by representatives of the legal Nevada sex work community.”

“We all know that politicians and public figures enjoy the company of prostitutes as much as any other American citizen, if not more so,” Sheri’s Ranch said. “So why not host political events in locations close to legalized brothels, where public servants can blow off steam in a worry-free environment?”

Though I'm not sure that, "Hey, at least we're not Florida!" is a great argument.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This does remind of the semi-apocryphal link between an uptick in Craigslist hookups and the location of conventions.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This does remind of the semi-apocryphal link between an uptick in Craigslist hookups and the location of conventions.

When the RNC came to Tampa a strip club hired the actress who had starred in Who's Naylin' Paylin? to come work there for the duration of the convention.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Joementum posted:

Harry Reid recently speculated that Nevada's legal brothels could cause Republicans to avoid choosing Las Vegas for the 2016 convention, but Sheri's Ranch Brothel is having none of it.

Though I'm not sure that, "Hey, at least we're not Florida!" is a great argument.

As a former Tampa resident, I always wondered if the mobile brothels ever showed back up during the RNC. I know the Super Bowl brought them out in full force.

Speaking of, when do the parties usually pick the convention sites?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Scott Walker took some friendly fire on Fox News Sunday today as Chris Wallace asked him about the emails while Pete Shumlin desperately tried to maintain a blank face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZ6k88qM90

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Joementum posted:

Scott Walker took some friendly fire on Fox News Sunday today as Chris Wallace asked him about the emails while Pete Shumlin desperately tried to maintain a blank face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qZ6k88qM90

Interesting how he keeps talking about turning around a budged deficit. Every single other GOP governor would be hammering the job creation message. Is he just dumb in thinking people care more about budgeting than jobs, or is his record that poor?

And why can't the DNC get anyone big to run against him?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

De Nomolos posted:

Interesting how he keeps talking about turning around a budged deficit. Every single other GOP governor would be hammering the job creation message. Is he just dumb in thinking people care more about budgeting than jobs, or is his record that poor?

In 2010, Walker's campaign had a centrepiece promise: 250,000 new private sector jobs by the end of 2014. Wisconsin is open for business again.

By the end of 2013, he wasn't even halfway there - 97,500, with job growth lagging far behind the national level and neighbouring states.

He's a bit vulnerable on "jobs".

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

De Nomolos posted:

Wisconsin already got more chances than they should have to flush him out, plus at this point he's much more useful to national policy attempting to do his job and failing awfully. The GOP made him a poster boy and he's falling apart in real time with a slowly growing chance of a massive political scandal on the horizon, its more beneficial for the Dems at this point to let him act as a cautionary tale. Sucks for Wisconsin but hey they doubled down on the guy its their own drat fault.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Spaceman Future! posted:

Wisconsin already got more chances than they should have to flush him out, plus at this point he's much more useful to national policy attempting to do his job and failing awfully. The GOP made him a poster boy and he's falling apart in real time with a slowly growing chance of a massive political scandal on the horizon, its more beneficial for the Dems at this point to let him act as a cautionary tale. Sucks for Wisconsin but hey they doubled down on the guy its their own drat fault.

It would be silly to let a potentially vulnerable governor skate by this year. You know what's even more useful to the Dems? Forcing them to nominate a sitting Senator, likely one of the hardest of the hardliners.

This says a lot more about the current state of the party than anything. If it's like Virginia, it's pretty much turned itself into the Ready For Hillary Express. So much drat money and talent going into that while we can't win a loving House seat.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

De Nomolos posted:

It would be silly to let a potentially vulnerable governor skate by this year. You know what's even more useful to the Dems? Forcing them to nominate a sitting Senator, likely one of the hardest of the hardliners.

This says a lot more about the current state of the party than anything. If it's like Virginia, it's pretty much turned itself into the Ready For Hillary Express. So much drat money and talent going into that while we can't win a loving House seat.

Pretty much. I've found that whenever you wonder whether they're playing 11th dimensional chess or are just incompetent, the answer is always incompetence.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004

Chantilly Say posted:

When the RNC came to Tampa a strip club hired the actress who had starred in Who's Naylin' Paylin? to come work there for the duration of the convention.

Her name is Lisa Ann.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Cease to Hope posted:

Pretty much. I've found that whenever you wonder whether they're playing 11th dimensional chess or are just incompetent, the answer is always incompetence.

Honestly, how often is anyone ever capable of that? Every political operative loves to imagine that they're Francis Underwood, setting up the dominoes just to knock them down, but if that were the case you wouldn't have a supposed mastermind like Karl Rove go from sitting an unlikely candidate for president twice, to having his every candidate go down in flames in 2012. These guys are one-trick ponies who manage to catch the tiger by the tail for a cycle or two, then they fall by the wayside and sink into irrelevance.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

TheBalor posted:

These guys are one-trick ponies who manage to catch the tiger by the tail for a cycle or two, then they fall by the wayside and sink into irrelevance.

Checkmate.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

TheBalor posted:

Honestly, how often is anyone ever capable of that? Every political operative loves to imagine that they're Francis Underwood, setting up the dominoes just to knock them down, but if that were the case you wouldn't have a supposed mastermind like Karl Rove go from sitting an unlikely candidate for president twice, to having his every candidate go down in flames in 2012. These guys are one-trick ponies who manage to catch the tiger by the tail for a cycle or two, then they fall by the wayside and sink into irrelevance.

And even Karl Rove's supposed masterstroke was not exactly from left field. He took the governor of a large state, who had high name recognition because his father had been president, and managed to get him two narrow electoral college wins. And one narrow popular vote win. It is like a coach who has the best quarterback in the league winning the Superbowl by a field goal: sure, he still won, but its not exactly an act of transcendent genius.

(Only the 2000 election would be more like a coach who is tied and argues with the refs until the other coach forfeits)

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

glowing-fish posted:

And even Karl Rove's supposed masterstroke was not exactly from left field. He took the governor of a large state, who had high name recognition because his father had been president, and managed to get him two narrow electoral college wins. And one narrow popular vote win. It is like a coach who has the best quarterback in the league winning the Superbowl by a field goal: sure, he still won, but its not exactly an act of transcendent genius.

(Only the 2000 election would be more like a coach who is tied and argues with the refs until the other coach forfeits)

Karl Rove's greatest feat was to get a generation of armchair politicos to believe that he invented the concept of using projection to attack your enemy for your own weaknesses.

In reality his calling card was the ability to turn someone's strength into a liability. Not that he invented that idea either, the GOP was already well on their way to making liberals ashamed to call themselves that by the time he was in big league politics but still.

Maybe he'll follow the Mark Penn career arc and end up butchering delegate counts for Team Jeb this time two years from now.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

De Nomolos posted:

The unsuccessful recall really gave him a shot in the arm and now the Dems are afraid to challenge him. From what I've seen though, plenty of people disapproved of Walker during that time but copious amounts of Wisconsin Nice kept him in his seat because lots of voters didn't feel like the recall was a legitimate way to get rid of him. So the Dems see him going down in drips and drops that may never hurt him badly enough to derail his future and figure their choices are to either let him collapse under his own weight or to try to drag him down there themselves. If you're someone who believes in the phantom popularity of the recall (and the Dems as an organization seem to be), you would rather wait it out than risk giving him a shot in the arm.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

In reality his calling card was the ability to turn someone's strength into a liability. Not that he invented that idea either, the GOP was already well on their way to making liberals ashamed to call themselves that by the time he was in big league politics but still.
Rove was also well ahead of the curve on figuring out that "independent" voters weren't mushy moderates who were somewhere in the middle of the two parties and whose votes were up for grabs and who hated excessive partisanship - he knew that most independents were people who voted with one party 90%+ of the time and just needed an extra kick to get to the polls. This is now almost conventional wisdom, but in 2004 everyone was boggled that Rove was running Dubya to the right in the general election and not to the middle.

The real problem is that campaign managers have a very short shelf life - usually they have a good handle on the electorate for a brief moment, and then that moment is over and society moves on and their insights are rendered worthless. Carville is a good example - his brand of liberal economic populism did well in 1990 and in 1992, but in 1994 the electorate changed and he wisely retired and began his second career as a cartoonish TV presence. Dick Morris seemed to have an uncanny ability to understand the electorate of the mid-1990s, but it hasn't been the mid-1990s for almost twenty years now, and well we all know about the quality of Morris' post-2000 predictions.

This all assumes that campaign managers matter at all. Every election is won by someone, and the results are usually explained by fundamentals (party ID, the economy, demographics, the cycle, popularity ratings), so what exactly do supergenius campaign managers contribute to the result besides meeting a certain threshold of basic competence (a test that Mark Penn failed)?

I think the continued presence of Rove at the center of GOP power and decisionmaking is a really bad sign for the Republicans. It means their cupboard is empty (no one has come along in ten years to replace him) and they're focused on bringing back the glory days of the early 2000s rather than adapt to the rapidly changing electoral landscape of the mid-2010s.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Paging presidential hopefuls: Mark Penn might soon be available for work.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

If Hillary Clinton hires him again, she's a moron.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

The unsuccessful recall really gave him a shot in the arm and now the Dems are afraid to challenge him. From what I've seen though, plenty of people disapproved of Walker during that time but copious amounts of Wisconsin Nice kept him in his seat because lots of voters didn't feel like the recall was a legitimate way to get rid of him. So the Dems see him going down in drips and drops that may never hurt him badly enough to derail his future and figure their choices are to either let him collapse under his own weight or to try to drag him down there themselves. If you're someone who believes in the phantom popularity of the recall (and the Dems as an organization seem to be), you would rather wait it out than risk giving him a shot in the arm.

Once again, that's 11 dimension chess crap. Why wouldn't you run a decent candidate and allow him the chance to pass more bullshit? If he has vulnerabilities, attack now or risk seeing new voting limits come 2016.

I agree that the recall was ill advised and makes him look artificially strong though.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I have a question and a prediction:

Apparently, there has been some chatter of Biden running for the nomination in 2016. This is obviously not a far-fetched idea, according to tradition (even if it is a tradition that is rarely followed), he is "next in line".

My question is, if Biden and Clinton both run, what distinguishes them? What is the difference in issues, message and demographics that would make one voter choose Biden over Clinton? As far as I can tell, they are both running for the same demographic, (which is a somewhat fading one): working class, rust belt Democrats, often older. Will one try to position themselves to the left of the other, and if so, which one?

And along with that, I have a prediction: whoever runs and wins for the Democratic nomination in 2016, there will be at least a token showing in the primary by a candidate who represents the young, urban and educated Democrats. I think there are a lot of software developers in Silicon Valley who don't want to hear a campaign speech designed for a coal plant employee in Ohio with a high school education. There are a lot of us who are more worried about school loans than about the price of gas, and there are a lot of issues I hope are kept in the spotlight: marijuana legalization, gay marriage, transit and energy dependence, climate change, and the price of higher education.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Biden will never be President. He will probably run, because that is what he does. He runs for President every drat cycle, but the American people have no interest in him, and the establishment doesn't want him as a candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

glowing-fish posted:

And along with that, I have a prediction: whoever runs and wins for the Democratic nomination in 2016, there will be at least a token showing in the primary by a candidate who represents the young, urban and educated Democrats. I think there are a lot of software developers in Silicon Valley who don't want to hear a campaign speech designed for a coal plant employee in Ohio with a high school education. There are a lot of us who are more worried about school loans than about the price of gas, and there are a lot of issues I hope are kept in the spotlight: marijuana legalization, gay marriage, transit and energy dependence, climate change, and the price of higher education.

Those issues are probably why whoever wins the Democratic primary (Hillary) will pick a considerably younger, more vibrant VP to help keep a connection with the younger demographics that latched on to Obama. Not to mention it's good politics to promote the next generation of your party in order to prepare for that generation's ascendance.

You're right that Clinton and Biden both represent more of the older, aging brand of Democratic voters and there'll be room in the field for someone who perhaps speaks to student and minority voters, but my guess is they'd be playing for second place. Still, if you get to represent those younger, growing parts of the Democratic coalition in the next administration that's a good launchpad for your own political career so it might still be a popular spot.

• Locked thread