Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

fatherdog posted:

I remembered something I saw in an interview and looked it up on Wikipedia -

"The seven-minute fight at the end of the film took nearly four months to shoot. Jackie Chan indicated that one day's filming typically produces three seconds of usable film."

That's referring to the fight scene at the end of Drunken Master II/Legend of Drunken Master, at which point Jackie Chan had been doing movie fight scenes for over thirty years. When you look at it from that perspective, it's kind of amazing that wrestlers can have what are essentially stylized fight scenes done entirely on the fly with no editing.

I read an anecdote about the Sylvester-Stallone-directed movie "Paradise Alley," which was about some brothers who become wrestlers, so they hired actual wrestlers (including a Ted DiBiase, I think) to film the bulk of the match footage. Some of the actors would regularly talk poo poo about the wrestlers and be really condescending. Stallone called a meeting of all the cast and crew and said something to the effect of "These wrestlers are helping us do in weeks what would take Hollywood stuntmen months, so I don't want to hear anyone insulting them."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ZDar Fan posted:

I read an anecdote about the Sylvester-Stallone-directed movie "Paradise Alley," which was about some brothers who become wrestlers, so they hired actual wrestlers (including a Ted DiBiase, I think) to film the bulk of the match footage. Some of the actors would regularly talk poo poo about the wrestlers and be really condescending. Stallone called a meeting of all the cast and crew and said something to the effect of "These wrestlers are helping us do in weeks what would take Hollywood stuntmen months, so I don't want to hear anyone insulting them."

You're thinking of Terry Funk wearing the greatest bowlcut of all time.

Terry Funk also did the fight choreography for Rocky 5.

Never said everything he did was good.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Nothing really wrong with the fights in Rocky 5, so much as the plot.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Terry Funk also got beat up by Sam Elliott and The Swayze in Road House.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
And of course Rocky III, a Stallone joint, was key to the rise of Hulkamania.

I'm honestly amazed Stallone has never done any WWF programming.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

Maxwell Lord posted:

He inducted Hogan in the Hall of Fame in 2005.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Maxwell Lord posted:

He inducted Hulk Hogan into the Hall of Fame in 2005. I think that's it.

Edit: Well, beaten again.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Stallone was a NWA man and his body of work reflects that.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thauros posted:

Lucha isn't exactly this forum's forté, but can anyone recommend a great El Hijo Del Santo match? He just retired and Dave had this to day about him:

I had no idea his work was that highly regarded.

If it's against Felino, it'll be good. Particularly their 3/8/98 match. He also had a really good match against Rey Jr. on 2/21/97 back when Rey was still allowed to do Mexican dates. His feud against La Paraka in the early aughts was quite good.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

What was the deal with Rey's WCW unmasking and having to get permission from a legit organization in Mexico to re-mask?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Luigi Thirty posted:

What was the deal with Rey's WCW unmasking and having to get permission from a legit organization in Mexico to re-mask?

Eric Bischoff thought the luchadores would be more marketable unmasked, so he tried to unmask Rey as early as 97, but Eddy flat out refused to win the mask match so Rey kept it. They then took Juvi's mask, and as time went on he did a Nash vs Rey feud where Rey lost his mask in a tag match. When he went to the WWE they wanted him masked, so they went to the Box y Lucha commission in Mexico. They agreed the way he lost it was not a legitimate mask match and he could remask. It's Mexico so they may have paid them some money too.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Terry Funk was also in Stallone's Over the Top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TJXPyGynYA

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Eric Bischoff thought the luchadores would be more marketable unmasked, so he tried to unmask Rey as early as 97, but Eddy flat out refused to win the mask match so Rey kept it. They then took Juvi's mask, and as time went on he did a Nash vs Rey feud where Rey lost his mask in a tag match. When he went to the WWE they wanted him masked, so they went to the Box y Lucha commission in Mexico. They agreed the way he lost it was not a legitimate mask match and he could remask. It's Mexico so they may have paid them some money too.

It amazes me that WWE had the foresight to realize that remarking him was the best move considering Vince's dislike of masks.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Do all masked wrestlers need permission to be masked, or is that only if they want to perform in Mexico ever? What's the etiquette for some guy in the indies who puts a mask on, like El Generico?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think Mysterio is a special case due to being officially unmasked, so they had to find a way around that.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Shima Honnou posted:

Do all masked wrestlers need permission to be masked, or is that only if they want to perform in Mexico ever? What's the etiquette for some guy in the indies who puts a mask on, like El Generico?

The regulations about masked wrestlers apply only in lucha. It's also not that a guy needs permission to wear a mask in the first place, but losing a mask vs. mask match is supposed to be final. When a luchador loses his mask, not only does he remove his mask in the center of the ring but he reveals his real name and age. Many masked luchadores that have been around for years (e.g. Último Guerrero and Atlantis) still have their name concealed from the public.

It's also different if a guy's in a new gimmick/mask IIRC. New Japan wrestler Kyosuke Mikami was unmasked during a stint in Mexico under the gimmick Namajague and now has a new masked gimmick under the name El Desperado back in Japan. I'm not sure if he'd have issues using it on a CMLL tour though.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 27, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Thauros posted:

It amazes me that WWE had the foresight to realize that remarking him was the best move considering Vince's dislike of masks.

He looks like a babby with no mask on.

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
I'm listening to the Steve Austin podcast with William Regal.

Austin asks what Regal thought of Steamboat VS. Savage at WM 3. Regal said he liked it until he talked to Steamboat about it. Austin says 'Enough said, cause I know.'

Any idea what the deal is here?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

FortifiedTumor posted:

Austin asks what Regal thought of Steamboat VS. Savage at WM 3. Regal said he liked it until he talked to Steamboat about it. Austin says 'Enough said, cause I know.'

Macho planned his matches out.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

FortifiedTumor posted:

Just to spare you from being yelled at, as it's been asked a few times already, but check the last page.

Short version was that Regal was bummed to discover that the match was planned by Savage beforehand (he'd thought they came up with everything on the spot).

FortifiedTumor
Aug 4, 2007
Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)
Jesus, sorry. I thought that was old hat. They were talking about it like a secret. Are we sure there isn't more to it?

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

Thauros posted:

Lucha isn't exactly this forum's forté, but can anyone recommend a great El Hijo Del Santo match? He just retired and Dave had this to day about him:

I had no idea his work was that highly regarded.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Your could argue for Casas, Satanico, and maybe Dandy above him as far as luchadores go, but top ten of all time isn't a stretch at all.

His rivalry with Negro Casas is the Flair/Steamboat or Misawa/Kawada of Mexico and this is their greatest match. Pretty accessible too if you're new to lucha. They fight over every hold, there's a nice mix of brawling and technique, and it's only one fall so the lucha psychology that puts off some non-regular viewers isn't as prevalent. It actually reminds me of Tanahashi/Suzuki in that there aren't many near falls, but the drama comes from the struggle and the feeling that the match could be over at any moment. I'm sure Dave would have dropped five stars on it had he reviewed it.

The Duck of Death fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 27, 2014

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

FortifiedTumor posted:

Jesus, sorry. I thought that was old hat. They were talking about it like a secret. Are we sure there isn't more to it?

Steamboat had to push really, really hard in the planning stages to keep out the Macho-deflowers-Stephanie McMahon spot.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Regarding all this stuff about Macho planning his matches, Jake Roberts offered a very different viewpoint: he said that you "never knew what page he was gonna be on," so he had to "lean on" Randy until he got a bit tired in order to set the right pace for the match. It wasn't a disparaging observation either; far from it.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I remember he did an interview via satellite for either the new Rocky, Rambo or something

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
I'm watching Summerslam '02 and what's the deal with this Fink promo after the HBK-HHH match? Did they actually do a Fink heel turn? Whatever it is, it's absolutely atrocious.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

There was a period where he was heeling it up because 'pretty' announcers like Mark Chimel and Lillian Garcia were phasing him out regardless of talent. Which was one of those fun WWE things where I guess everyone was supposed to boo a guy who was entirely right.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When did WWE change from gritty low lighting style of production to the flashy overproduced look it has now?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Abu Dave posted:

When did WWE change from gritty low lighting style of production to the flashy overproduced look it has now?

I first noticed it around 2002, with this set

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hmm that makes sense. The fist logo Smackdown set could've contributed to it too. I think that's why I appreciate NXT alot, it's not as over produced.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Abu Dave posted:

Hmm that makes sense. The fist logo Smackdown set could've contributed to it too. I think that's why I appreciate NXT alot, it's not as over produced.

Yeah the Fist happened around that time too.

I hated both sets. All I really wanted was a simple tron/stage setup, like WCW had when they were closing down.

For some reason I like low budget wrestling I guess.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

triplexpac posted:

Yeah the Fist happened around that time too.

I hated both sets. All I really wanted was a simple tron/stage setup, like WCW had when they were closing down.

WWF did not have a logo that looked like something a bird left on the hood of my car.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Abu Dave posted:

I assume it was the start of the movement to more lighting based entrances rather than relying on expensive pyro.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Are there any stories of fans getting hurt at events?

I just watched some of the ECW stuff on WWE network and was kind of surprised to see Sabu and Funk whip chairs into the crowd. It made me think someone had to get hurt at some point.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet

The Grey posted:

Wasn't there a really bad pyro malfunction at I wanna say Wrestlemania 24 that injured quite a few people?

EDIT: Yep, just looked this up. You can read about it here

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/dozens-injured-at-wrestlemania-when-fireworks-cabl/nJj8s/

Boardroom Jimmy fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Feb 28, 2014

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

triplexpac posted:

one of my favorite wrestling sets was ECW's rinky-dink brick wall entrance surrounded by chain link fencing. I dunno why, it just had a charm to it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Didn't a flaming towel get flung into the crowd during one of the Cactus Jack/Terry Funk matches?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not sure if it counts as 'seriously injured,' but Vampiro dumped blood onto the crowd like three separate times in WCW.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

The Grey posted:

I just watched some of the ECW stuff on WWE network and was kind of surprised to see Sabu and Funk whip chairs into the crowd. It made me think someone had to get hurt at some point.

On Stone Cold's podcast, Terry Funk talked about Mick Foley setting Funk on fire with a flaming chair and in turn Funk (Or just the chair?) set some dude in the crowd on fire and burned him pretty bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

His mom was the Commissioner of GLOW, or something.

I just watched the GLOW documentary on Netflix, and it was really amazing that they basically took actresses and turned them into wrestlers in a matter of weeks. Also, that Ivory was a GLOW girl.

They really nailed the fun and storytelling of wrestling, and I don't know that you could do what they did again today with that level of success. Really bittersweet movie without a really big happy ending.

Mount Fiji :smithicide:

EDIT: Adding question: If I wanted to get into professional wrestling as a booker or promoter, and there are no local promotions near me (Seattle), what are my options? How would I even break in?

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Feb 28, 2014