Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Yeah. I was actually pretty impressed when one sent me to the modded-in marijuana dispensary.

Go easy on the mods or you'll just be Sephiroth selling weed to the Jarls and killing entire villages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

kazil posted:

Blacksmithing generally gives you access to armor and weapons earlier than they would start dropping from enemies. The final tier is arguably better than dropped items, but it's not vastly superior that you have to take blacksmithing. Smithing is also kinda a chore of grinding out iron daggers endlessly. You can use enchanting, blacksmithing, and alchemy in such a way that they buff eachother so you can craft ridiculously overpowered sets of armor.

I'm pretty sure they changed that at some point. Last time I played, the skill gain for smithing was pretty closely tied to the money value of the final product. That means that now jewelry smithing is probably the quickest (and most profitable) way to quickly level it. Make sure to hoard every gem you find and buy silver/gold ores and ingots when you come across them, then you probably won't have much in the way of money troubles.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
If you get the transmute spell you just need to get iron ore, then you can change that into silver and gold and become ungodly good at smithing within the first couple hours

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Combine smithing's brokenness with how goddamn tedious and unfun magic can be in Skyrim, and you never have any reason to play a Destruction character.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

kazil posted:

Weapons drop in tiers, really. And tiers come from enemy level. After a while, iron drops are replaced with steel drops are replaced with dwarven drops etc. They don't really ever feel different, just do more damage.

If you're planning on Blacksmithing or Enchanting, and you're on PC, don't grind, use a console command to raise your skill. The result is the exact same except that you're saved several hours of your life.

Also, for Smithing, explore southeast of Windhelm.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Gynovore posted:

If you're planning on Blacksmithing or Enchanting, and you're on PC, don't grind, use a console command to raise your skill. The result is the exact same except that you're saved several hours of your life.

Also, for Smithing, explore southeast of Windhelm.

Yeah, Skyrim is crazy moddable; if you're finding an aspect of it to be an unfun grind, cheating is always an option if you aren't opposed to that.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Oblivion and Skyrim endgame is basically modding out all the poo poo (and there is a ton of poo poo)

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Heran Bago posted:

Go easy on the mods or you'll just be Sephiroth selling weed to the Jarls and killing entire villages.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Someone wrote an article once where they installed a couple dozen random mods and wrote about their experience playing it; I cannot remember the name of it.

(fake edit: yes I do, it's week of madness)

I share that to say that modding the game can add some extra life to it once you're done with it, but also to warn that modders are also frequently crazy people who will fill your game with nude swearing mudcrabs or something so it's a fine line.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
That is the most beautiful screenshot of Skyrim I have ever seen.

But for real, if you want to mod it, there's a thread for it. Or you could just stick SPERG and Morrowloot on and call it a day :v:

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Anything for the new EDF? I haven't played the first one if that makes a difference.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Bluemidget posted:

Anything for the new EDF? I haven't played the first one if that makes a difference.
-Fencer (big slow guy): dashes when he has a melee weapon in the primary hand, and rocket-jumps when he has a gun in the primary hand. You can dash in the air.
-Fencer: You can time alternating your shield's pulse attack (L2 on the PS3, by default) with your melee-dashes to zip around the battlefield (each one cancels the other's recharge-animation deal). Same with Javelin type weapons and dashing later.
-Fencer: You can equip the same weapon in each hand. Hammer time. Mega TF2 heavy miniguns. Go nuts.
-Ranger: Bring rocket launchers to mission 13 and others like it (you'll know them when you get there, but trust me, mission 13). Not Missile Launchers, not Mortars. Rocket launchers.
-Whatever class picks up a weapon box (multiplayer), that's what class's weapon you'll get out of it at the end of the level.
-Each class gains armor from box pickups at a different rate, with Fencers getting almost 1 permanent max armor (so, hit points basically) per box, all the way down to Wing Divers getting something like 1 armor per 3 or 4.
-The Wing Diver's starting big slow rocket-type attack can take off 90 (of your 150 starting) armor in one hit if you get caught in your own blast radius (like, say, if you turn and fire and an ant wanders in front of you at the last second). Always Be Flying.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009
What should I know before I play Final Fantasy XIII? I'm committed to play it through so no need to warn me off.

I don't want to get overwhelmed as I've never played a FF game before, and Gamefaqs started talking about Trapezoids and a bunch of stuff I presume I'm not going to see for ~20 hours. So if you're feeling really helpful, maybe break it down by 'Stuff to know at the start' and 'Stuff to know from point X'?

Most importantly, can I miss anything? I don't want to have to go on a treasure hunt later and be unable to, and I want to minimise my grind (but yeah, I understand there may be some grind).

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

EddieDean posted:

What should I know before I play Final Fantasy XIII? I'm committed to play it through so no need to warn me off.

I don't want to get overwhelmed as I've never played a FF game before, and Gamefaqs started talking about Trapezoids and a bunch of stuff I presume I'm not going to see for ~20 hours. So if you're feeling really helpful, maybe break it down by 'Stuff to know at the start' and 'Stuff to know from point X'?

Most importantly, can I miss anything? I don't want to have to go on a treasure hunt later and be unable to, and I want to minimise my grind (but yeah, I understand there may be some grind).

You can't revisit any areas prior to leaving Cocoon, so if you finish an area an there's treasure you've missed, you can't go back for it. that said, the hallway nature of the level design, the fact that you have a minimap, and the fact that treasure sphere make noise if they haven't been picked will work in your favor. Most of the really good stuff you won't have to really go out of your way for and if you do miss it, you can usually just buy some later if you have the money.

As for other general stuff, the first two chapters will be longer than they really should be and fairly tedious as you won't have access to the game's central mechanic of paradigms yet. Just power through that as fast as you can. Starting with chapter 3 you get access to paradigms, basically sets of job classes, and you'll need to know what does what, and how the AI reacts to different setups.

COM: Straight up damage dealers, slows decay of the chain gauge
RAV: Lower Damage, builds chain gauge (damage multipliers) faster
MED: Heals, not much else.
SEN: Tank. Draws enemy attention and reduces damage for the entire party

These two aren't introduced until the next chapter but I'll include them anyway.
SYN: Buffs. Whether that be damage reduction, damage increasing, weapon enchantment, etc.
SAB: Debuffs. The opposite of SYN really. Slows chain gauge decay and increases it.

I don't have much time right now so just a few general tips.

- Don't go into the game expecting exploration or sidequests or any of that. Go in expecting a gauntlet of battles, because that's really what it is for the most part.
- Treat every fight like it was a boss fight. The enemies in this game will beat you down if you give them the chance.
- Switching paradigms will sometimes give you a free ATB bar, so you can switch between two identical paradigms every few rounds and get a free round here and there.

I must say, interesting choice for a first FF game, though I guess that's one way to reduce the chance of being disappointed by it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

You can't revisit any areas prior to leaving Cocoon, so if you finish an area an there's treasure you've missed, you can't go back for it. that said, the hallway nature of the level design, the fact that you have a minimap, and the fact that treasure sphere make noise if they haven't been picked will work in your favor. Most of the really good stuff you won't have to really go out of your way for and if you do miss it, you can usually just buy some later if you have the money.

As for other general stuff, the first two chapters will be longer than they really should be and fairly tedious as you won't have access to the game's central mechanic of paradigms yet. Just power through that as fast as you can. Starting with chapter 3 you get access to paradigms, basically sets of job classes, and you'll need to know what does what, and how the AI reacts to different setups.

COM: Straight up damage dealers, slows decay of the chain gauge
RAV: Lower Damage, builds chain gauge (damage multipliers) faster
MED: Heals, not much else.
SEN: Tank. Draws enemy attention and reduces damage for the entire party

These two aren't introduced until the next chapter but I'll include them anyway.
SYN: Buffs. Whether that be damage reduction, damage increasing, weapon enchantment, etc.
SAB: Debuffs. The opposite of SYN really. Slows chain gauge decay and increases it.

I don't have much time right now so just a few general tips.

- Don't go into the game expecting exploration or sidequests or any of that. Go in expecting a gauntlet of battles, because that's really what it is for the most part.
- Treat every fight like it was a boss fight. The enemies in this game will beat you down if you give them the chance.
- Switching paradigms will sometimes give you a free ATB bar, so you can switch between two identical paradigms every few rounds and get a free round here and there.

I must say, interesting choice for a first FF game, though I guess that's one way to reduce the chance of being disappointed by it.

Just an extra thing to add onto this - once you can alter Paradigms yourself (somewhere around the 10-15 hour mark :cripes:), remember to check them any time the party changes because it'll reset your custom setups to the default.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

On a related note is there anything I should know as I go into Final Fantasy XIII-2?

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Golden Goat posted:

On a related note is there anything I should know as I go into Final Fantasy XIII-2?

The plot of FFXIII.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Golden Goat posted:

There's almost no way of missing anything: you can reset each area to the way it was when you first got there (which you'll need to do to get some of the extra endings).
The DLC's actually pretty good, and nets you some really powerful characters. At the very least, get the Sazh, Gilgamesh and Requiem of the Goddess packs: Sazh introduces a new gambling minigame, Requiem adds an epilogue and Gilgamesh is Gilgamesh.
Also, you can easily minmax your characters, but you don't need to. Just remember that Serah has an affinity to magic, Noel tends towards strength and monsters easily fill in the gaps (and will out-perform your characters on most occasions).

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

There's almost no way of missing anything: you can reset each area to the way it was when you first got there (which you'll need to do to get some of the extra endings).
The DLC's actually pretty good, and nets you some really powerful characters. At the very least, get the Sazh, Gilgamesh and Requiem of the Goddess packs: Sazh introduces a new gambling minigame, Requiem adds an epilogue and Gilgamesh is Gilgamesh.
Also, you can easily minmax your characters, but you don't need to. Just remember that Serah has an affinity to magic, Noel tends towards strength and monsters easily fill in the gaps (and will out-perform your characters on most occasions).

Is there any DLC for XIII that's of any value?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

once you can alter Paradigms yourself (somewhere around the 10-15 hour mark :cripes:)

It doesn't take that long to get to chapter 3. You're probably thinking of when you can form whatever party you want or when anyone can take on any role.

That said, you're right. When the members of the party change your paradigm set up is reset. So be aware of that.

This brings up something else. If the story shuffles your party and then thrusts you right into a battle, you can manually hit retry, then when the battle is supposed to begin again the menu will come up and you can set your paradigms up.

E: ^there is no DLC for 13. Only the sequels have any.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

The plot of FFXIII.

Played halfway, read the rest. Felt like I've missed nothing considering the ending doesn't lead into XIII-2 at all.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Cheers, are the DLC packs accessible from the beginning or do you have to hit a certain part of the story for them to appear?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Played halfway, read the rest. Felt like I've missed nothing considering the ending doesn't lead into XIII-2 at all.

Cheers, are the DLC packs accessible from the beginning or do you have to hit a certain part of the story for them to appear?

Requiem of the Goddess is immediate and level scaled. The reward is a monster that will carry you from start to finish of XIII.

So beat that, crush the games difficulty curve and then slowly slip into Chronobind induced oblivion with Sazh.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

Question about Saints Row: The Third: Can you lock yourself out of any of the ambient challenges by finishing the plot and gaining control of all the neighbourhoods?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Contingency Plan posted:

Question about Saints Row: The Third: Can you lock yourself out of any of the ambient challenges by finishing the plot and gaining control of all the neighbourhoods?

You can still finish all ambient challenges by doing that but you make it entirely up to random chance.

To that end the things you want to make sure you finish up before locking down the neighborhoods are "kill x/y/z of each gang" and "taunt gang members" and anything that requires gang members to exist. Otherwise you'll be waiting forever for a call to tell you about a gangfight and hoping its the right one and features the foes you need to kill.

The find x/y/z person missions finding the fat prostitute is god-awful. Her spawn is insanely low, the area is tiny, and it took me a good 20 minutes to have her show up. If you're on PC just cheat if you can.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

"The fat ho" is pretty much any of them not wearing just a bikini. Like, even the ones in crop-top polos and low-rise pants work.

Why yes, Zimos and everything involved with him is an exercise in invoking and exacerbating gender issues.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sir Unimaginative posted:

"The fat ho" is pretty much any of them not wearing just a bikini. Like, even the ones in crop-top polos and low-rise pants work.

Why yes, Zimos and everything involved with him is an exercise in invoking and exacerbating gender issues.

Son of a gun. I waited forever to get the specific over-weight ho model to spawn.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I feel like this has been asked a thousand times in this thread, but I don't remember the answers and it isn't in the wiki so I'm sorry to ask again, but:

What should I know for Knights of the Old Republic 2? I bought it on steam the other day.

I remember a hullabaloo when it came out about it being "incomplete" or some other major thing being wrong with it; has that been addressed in the steam release, or is there an unofficial patch of some sort that I'll want to download to get the most out of the game?

That's the main thing I'm wondering, but any other tips are good too, of course. I played the first game, so I probably get the gist of it.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Any Xbone users here? I bought Crimson Dragon and it seems like it's way more than just a very pretty on rails shooter, didn't realize i was playing a drat dragon breeding simulator. Should i have started on casual since it's my first time playing?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Any Xbone users here? I bought Crimson Dragon and it seems like it's way more than just a very pretty on rails shooter, didn't realize i was playing a drat dragon breeding simulator. Should i have started on casual since it's my first time playing?

The game ramps up its brutality very quickly starting after the first boss fight. Don't feel ashamed to grind a little.

The dark dragon you start with is ungodly powerful for when you get it but can not evolve so it a bit of a dead end long term. Consider using it for missions you're stuck on and giving the XP items to other dragons you want to raise.

You'll unlock new dragons (with different weapon styles) as you level up your rider. Try them out and see what you like.

The Vespid Hive level is an excellent source of grinding once you unlock it and can beat it.

You can min-max sub-attacks that dragons have when they level but for the most part the important thing is leveling them up and evolving them as fast as you're able to because thats what controls their total potential stats and how potent their primary attack is. For instance, the auto-lock on dragon is piddly at first but after each successive evolution the number of auto lockons it can sustain increases alongside the damage for each.

Free-Roam missions are terrible. There aren't too many of them but they are horrible and will be the cause of most of your frustration in the game.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Ainsley McTree posted:

I feel like this has been asked a thousand times in this thread, but I don't remember the answers and it isn't in the wiki so I'm sorry to ask again, but:

What should I know for Knights of the Old Republic 2? I bought it on steam the other day.

I remember a hullabaloo when it came out about it being "incomplete" or some other major thing being wrong with it; has that been addressed in the steam release, or is there an unofficial patch of some sort that I'll want to download to get the most out of the game?

That's the main thing I'm wondering, but any other tips are good too, of course. I played the first game, so I probably get the gist of it.

If you're interested in the incomplete content then there's the Restoration Project mod that replaces most of it.

In terms of the game its been a while but I don't recall it being particularly difficult. Main thing is pick one of light or dark side and try and max it. Also talk to everyone periodically, there are some excellent dialogues and boosts available. A few areas have you play as another character for a fight, specifically T3-M4, Atton and Mira/Hanharr so make sure that they have relevant equipment. Generally don't be afraid of using consumables as you get plenty. Force speed is always excellent, as are the buffs in general. Lightsabres easily outpace other weapons once they get modded but almost anything can be competitive. Oh and on Dantooine there is cave where you can get a special lightsabre crystal which is attuned to you. This is easily the most powerful crystal in the game and periodically Kreia can reattune it to you, improving its powers to match your level and alignment.

Wegee
Jul 26, 2006
I beat metro 2033 last month and I'm going to be starting Last Light today. Anything I should know? There were a lot of good tips for metro 2033 but I don't know how different Last Light is.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Wegee posted:

I beat metro 2033 last month and I'm going to be starting Last Light today. Anything I should know? There were a lot of good tips for metro 2033 but I don't know how different Last Light is.

I think the big one was just to buy air filters when you can because I guess they get pretty scarce in the latter half of the game (playing through it myself at the moment)

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
I never saw any place to buy air filters in Last Light. Maybe I'm dumb. There are quite a few of them lying around though.

There's no need to use Hellsing in this one, the lategame weapons are more powerful and there aren't as many bullet sponge enemies.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

KingShiro posted:

I think the big one was just to buy air filters when you can because I guess they get pretty scarce in the latter half of the game (playing through it myself at the moment)

Really? I had a ton of time with air filters.

In LL, unlike 2033, you can hold a lot more time worth of air filters.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Anyone have any tips for Singularity?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

owl_pellet posted:

It's really straightforward (and decently fun). I would probably stick with the assault rifle and sniper rifle for upgrades but you can choose what works for your own style. I seem to recall that the pistol sucks and the spikeshot was fun to use as well. You can experience all the endings just by reloading before the final choice, and that final choice is the only one that matters in terms of determining endings.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

owl_pellet posted:

The assault rifle and shotgun are going to be good mainstays throughout the game, so you may want to upgrade those first.
The sniper rifle is a gigantic cocktease, in that you can never upgrade the time dilation effect on it. Yes, it looks like the bar can go up much further, no you can't do anything about it.
It does make up for it, though, in that a single sniper round will most likely kill any human enemy, no matter where you hit it. This will make a few spots where you need to kill lots of things ASAP easier: don't bother with headshots, just go for center mass or legs.
Look everywhere. you'll find upgrades and resources everywhere. You should have just enough to fully upgrade yourself by the end of the game, so no need to be stingy with the upgrades.

Kaboom Dragoon fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 4, 2014

Barudak
May 7, 2007

owl_pellet posted:

There are three endings to the game. The one the game tells you to do is obvious, and how one could pick an alternate should immediately cross your mind. That said, for the third, you need to be especially fast and bloodthirsty because if you delay too long it'll trigger one or the other of the endings.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Captain Novolin posted:

If you get the transmute spell you just need to get iron ore, then you can change that into silver and gold and become ungodly good at smithing within the first couple hours

Go to Halted Stream Camp and clear it out. The mine there has like fifteen iron ore veins and the Transmute Ore spell tome on a table. Load up, spam the spell on your walk home, and when you get back, throw all your gold ingots on your bed and swim in them like Scrooge McDuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Anything for Final Fantasy XII: International?