Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

vOv posted:

e: in Surface Detail Veppers asks the ambassador how much it'd cost to buy a Culture ship and she just laughs at him

that was one of my favourite things. literally just the author saying lol @ capitalism

(also didn't he ask the gcfc or whatever too? and they're like uhh probably more than the entire economic output of all the planets controlled by your civilization. i was amused by that. it's like if we landed a helicopter on some tiny new guinean island to do some anthropology and the tribe tried to buy it from us)

anyways as far as utopias go, it's hard to imagine what could be better than the culture. there's the whole "human achievement would become meaningless" argument that people also like to make against it, but it falls apart entirely when you consider how there are already machines in the real world that can do things way better than humans, but people still get satisfaction from doing things themselves. the difference is that now they get the choice whether they want to do them or not, and the culture is sort of the ultimate expression of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”
it was amusing when he wrote about minds keeping simulations around because they had made them so realistic that it would be genocide otherwise

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

raruler posted:

it was amusing when he wrote about minds keeping simulations around because they had made them so realistic that it would be genocide otherwise

by amusing I mean crushingly terrifying that we might all just be simulations

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Also there's that one guy who cleans tables at an eating places just as a way to meet new people. I'm pretty sure my barber would still cut people's hair even if he didn't need to do it in order to not starve.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Surface Detail makes it a point that the baseline interactions with your Culture ship are done at a completely non-sentient level and it only boosts up to full Mind attention when things get notable/interesting.

Ship Minds have all sorts of non-sentient systems that do boring things like build ship parts and whatnot.

I do like how they solved the weapon safety & security problem by making all of their weapons highly moral thinking machines.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

raruler posted:

someone will shut down this Hell soon, I hope :o:

Also, lol at the last True Detective - Rust: "gently caress this Gay Earth."

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

pseudorandom name posted:

Ship Minds have all sorts of non-sentient systems that do boring things like build ship parts and whatnot.

vertebrates have all sorts of non-sentient systems that do boring things like build vertebrate parts and whatnot

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

NoneMoreNegative posted:

someone will shut down this Hell soon, I hope :o:

Also, lol at the last True Detective - Rust: "gently caress this Gay Earth."

rust is pretty cool imo

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

vertebrates have all sorts of non-sentient systems that do boring things like build vertebrate parts and whatnot

oh, I left out the second half of that, which is that they're still super-intelligent expert systems

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

raruler posted:

if we were why would it matter? we'd still be sentient beings

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

p.s. the singularity is only a decade away

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
i hope we get the singularity or something, because sometimes the hope that things might be better in the future is the only thing that keeps my going

maybe it's sad and pathetic that i've pinned my hopes and dreams to the fantasy of some science fiction society where everyone is happy and nobody suffers, and maybe i should just opt out of existence now and save myself the pain of hating myself and civilization for the next 70 years while things only get worse

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

maybe you're a character in some kid's video game and your misery and suffering adds verisimilitude to his experience

and when he gets bored and deletes his save, you will die instantly without warning or knowledge and everything you ever accomplished and everything you ever were will vanish

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
you're whole world is just a parallax layer in some space ullilllilia's 'game" that will never be finished

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

pseudorandom name posted:

maybe you're a character in some kid's video game and your misery and suffering adds verisimilitude to his experience

and when he gets bored and deletes his save, you will die instantly without warning or knowledge and everything you ever accomplished and everything you ever were will vanish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlRUmkqMIe8

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

raruler posted:

the funny thing it's been the same decade for at least a decade now

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

raruler posted:

never going to happen

i loves me some t2 and whatnot but i'm calling nope on this

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
the singularity will happen

for the top 0.00001%. a beautiful city full of immortal investment bankers and their cronies. utopia

i look forward to being a morlock

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

raruler posted:

- ray kurzweil, every year since 1970

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

ol qwerty bastard posted:

that was one of my favourite things. literally just the author saying lol @ capitalism

(also didn't he ask the gcfc or whatever too? and they're like uhh probably more than the entire economic output of all the planets controlled by your civilization. i was amused by that. it's like if we landed a helicopter on some tiny new guinean island to do some anthropology and the tribe tried to buy it from us)

yeah he tries to buy a gfcf warship and the representative goes 'ok first off we're not selling you one of our best warships, second it'd cost more than your entire civilization's gdp'

veppers is basically perfectly designed to make you want to punch him in the face over and over

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

raruler posted:

define your terms

the singularity: an event which marks the point at which an average unaugmented human cannot maintain a current understanding of science and technology

well, then the singularity happened c. 1895

the singularity: an event marking the point at which an average expert in some certain field of science or applied science cannot maintain an understanding of current events in their field of expertise without a team of assistants or cybernetic enhancement

maybe 1940

the singularity: the jetsons but you don't need to work

if population stabilizes around 7 billion then maybe c. 2300 but society will probably collapse somewhere between 2030 and 2045 so don't worry about it

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

i thought the singularity was the point where humans invent a machine more intelligent than themselves, which would logically be the last thing humans ever need to invent.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

raruler posted:

did klingons develop the warp drive on their own?

aren't they kzinti in origin?

i don't at all recall the klingons being descended from kzinti

i do recall one story where supposedly the klingons got a technological kickstart by successfully revolting against alien occupiers, but i can't remember if that was in a real series or if that was some book thing which doesn't count

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
the kzinti connect to Star Trek through the animated series iirc

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Amethyst posted:

i look forward to being a morlock

same

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

raruler posted:

you terribly underestimate the problems still standing wrt AI + more importantly, wrt lithography

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

the kzinti connect to Star Trek through the animated series iirc

yeah the cartoon series has kzinti in it and it's pretty funny

http://www.startrek.com/watch_episode/KsvLRC9TcoSR

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?

coffeetable posted:

you terribly underestimate the problems still standing wrt AI + more importantly, wrt lithography

strong ai by 2200 seems pretty reasonable so if we can crack biological immortality with some sort of relatively simple gene therapy then maybe 35% of us will live long enough to be killed by skynet

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

The sigularity will happen the same year that its the year of 'Linux on the Desktop'

I.E. never

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

angry_keebler posted:

strong ai by 2200

Actual a.i experts contradict this.

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

~10^60 seems like a reasonable target for a brute force real time emulation of a brain that can monitor and improve itself

estimates of runaway a.i. on an exascale computer seem awfully optimistic

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
humans just recently found out things can be really really small so I think an AI or the singularity is pretty loving far off

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

man, that last PoI was not a good episode at all... seems there's not been nearly as much 'arc' this season and the end of the Carter story has left the show just treading water :smith:

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

raruler posted:

the hypothesis hypothesis is that our universe is a rough simulation of a real universe, being run in order to try to predict the future of reality. there are probably many such simulations exploring various hypothetical options, and once they're all over the person running them will choose the best one to carry out in reality

and that person is... GOD :monocle:

so there is a universe in which everything is perfect and just and wonderful and planned, it's just not this one, because god used ours for the planning

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
see also harlan ellison's "strange wine"

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
the definition of strong ai is "ai that acts like a human" because people are so egotistical that they can't picture a being with more intelligence than them

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Amethyst posted:

Actual a.i experts contradict this.

do they predict sooner or later than 2200?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
also which decade's definition of ai are they using

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Gus Hobbleton posted:

do they predict sooner or later than 2200?
"by 2200" means sooner than it, so if they contradict that...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
right, thats why i dont post before coffee

• Locked thread