Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
Okay I'm back from my Sears interview. I spoke to two different managers and was told that I'd be called next week to speak to the higher-ups. Since I couldn't talk about Target, I was hamstrung because all my retail experience was with them. So when they asked me questions about signing up people for Sears cards, I couldn't tell them that I've done it before. I think I made a good impression on one of the managers. I asked him "What is your ideal candidate?" He told me it was a good question and nobody ever asked him that before in an interview. Once he told me what he thought the ideal candidate was, I told him how I was that candidate. As per my job counselor's advice, I gave him a thank-you-note after the interview. Little things like that go a long way, hopefully. Here's hoping that I get a call next week for another interview.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Benny the Snake posted:

speak to the hire-ups

Oh well. At least there's progress on the job front.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Ursine Asylum posted:

Oh well. At least there's progress on the job front.

Is that an American thing, or is he just putting his English degree to shame again?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Is that an American thing, or is he just putting his English degree to shame again?

The latter.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I meant higher-ups :doh:

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

I meant higher-ups :doh:

Benny, if I may, I'd like to posit that one of the reasons you have such difficulty interviewing is that you likely rush to a finish and make these sorts of mistakes. I think it is quite possible that you are fully capable of communicating what you want, but sometimes find it difficult to quickly articulate that and get hung up on verbal misfires like this that indicate your difficulties with the details.

Before you answer a question, run through it once in your head before you spit it out. A brief pause is only going to make you look more thoughtful, and hopefully you'll be able to self-censor/correct these sorts of misfires more frequently. I'm assuming that you're often someone who is recognized as speaking fast?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Sigma-X posted:

Benny, if I may, I'd like to posit that one of the reasons you have such difficulty interviewing is that you likely rush to a finish and make these sorts of mistakes. I think it is quite possible that you are fully capable of communicating what you want, but sometimes find it difficult to quickly articulate that and get hung up on verbal misfires like this that indicate your difficulties with the details.

Before you answer a question, run through it once in your head before you spit it out. A brief pause is only going to make you look more thoughtful, and hopefully you'll be able to self-censor/correct these sorts of misfires more frequently. I'm assuming that you're often someone who is recognized as speaking fast?
Yes, I have a bad habit of rushing things. I rush when posting and then realize I made so many mistakes. But I did my best in the interview today. My job counselor did say I interview well and I did speak with two managers. I'm really optimistic about this one.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Does Sears have shopping carts?

franco
Jan 3, 2003

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Maybe you need to take a break.

I possibly do. I apologise for my outburst. I'd remove it, but it has been quoted anyway, so I'll leave it as a monument to why one shouldn't post angry.

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!
ONE HUNDRED PAGES OF INACTION would make a good bio title.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
Just checking here -- did you give the manager a thank you note "at" the interview? As in, it was pre-written and ready to go?

And I'm curious about telling him about how you were the ideal candidate. This is really a good tip for anyone - but if he said "the best person is punctual, friendly and can think quickly" did you just ... tell him you were those things? Or did you give examples about a time you impressed a customer with great service and solved a problem before it escalated? If the latter, what kind of examples did you give?

(I hope it's the latter. In everything Benny, even writing, it's show, not tell.)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Dex posted:

ONE HUNDRED PAGES OF INACTION would make a good bio title.

You think we're only going to get 100 pages out of this?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"My ideal candidate is someone who really knows how to murder someone with a cart."

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax

Eris posted:

Just checking here -- did you give the manager a thank you note "at" the interview? As in, it was pre-written and ready to go?

I'm also curious as to whether or not Benny carries around a bag of thank you letters like a 3rd grader on valentines day.

cname fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 27, 2014

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

docbeard posted:

"My ideal candidate is someone who really knows how to murder someone with a cart."

Or a tray.

Benny, I'm hoping you meant "I followed up with a thank-you note" because what you're supposed to do is reinforce the high points of the interview. "Dear Ms. Smith: Thanks for meeting with me yesterday. I was really interested to hear about Sears's new sales and loyalty goals, and think that my energy and punctuality could be an asset in the cashier position. Best, Benny"

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

systran posted:

Yeah the biggest sign of Benny being dumb is that he still posts in this thread only to be told he's wrong no matter what he does. He should just abandon it and let it die; there's no way it helps his life.

I am pretty sure he is constantly being told he is wrong because he is making terrible decisions and is unemployed. So he ACTUALLY IS doing almost everything wrong and is being told the truth.

And you have it backwards, because this thread is probably the best thing for him. Who the hell is going to hold him accountable if not strangers making fun of him on the Internet? I can assure you that Mario, Megaman, Master Chief or whoever it is he plays with all day are not prepping him for gainful employment.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

franco posted:

I possibly do. I apologise for my outburst. I'd remove it, but it has been quoted anyway, so I'll leave it as a monument to why one shouldn't post angry.

You're not the first person to get incredibly angry at Benny, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Handing out thank you cards after the interview seems weird, but it seems like it was something his job counselor told him to do. Benny has finally learned to listen and take advice and it only took an entire year.

Benny I hope you get the Sears job and they have you sell power tools or something awesome like that.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

I thought you were supposed to send the thank you note AFTER your interview so it looked like it was an actual reaction to the interview and not a pre-calculated move. I never sent anything more than a thank you email because who the gently caress wants a card? That's just going right into the trash.

but then again I never brought my resume with me to a job interview so apparently I've been doing things all wrong (but still getting jobs).

Yo Benny, how's your handshake? Maybe that's the problem.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Aqua Bear posted:

You're not the first person to get incredibly angry at Benny, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Handing out thank you cards after the interview seems weird, but it seems like it was something his job counselor told him to do. Benny has finally learned to listen and take advice and it only took an entire year.

Benny I hope you get the Sears job and they have you sell power tools or something awesome like that.

"Good morning sir, Welcome to Sears. I see you are interested in these power drills?"
"CLEAN UP IN AISLE SIX!"

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW
I can't remember if anyone's made this joke yet but Benny should watch Seinfeld S05E22 and study George doing the exact opposite of his gut instincts. In less than a day he scored a hot date and got a job with the Yankees.

Benny, tell your interviewer why you're the WORST possible choice, and steer the shopping carts TOWARD the cars. It's just crazy enough to work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKUvKE3bQlY

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
/\ Someone made that joke many pages ago. I think it's even funnier that multiple people feel the same way.

Wasn't Larry David about as useless as Benny? He openly admits that his entire career was based on being completely unprofessional. The guy can't even use a parking garage kiosk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-3fCCL0ASE

Benny, this is gonna be half mocking but totally serious in the fact that I (and others) would absolutely pay money for the following..

You outta write a movie about a guy who can't find a job and is utterly worthless when it comes to finding one. I'm being 150% serious. It would be culturally relevant and everything. I would cry laughing at the sight of a guy pulling a pile of enveloped "thank you" letters from his backpack and handing the one on top to the interviewer after a sweaty handshake.

:cool: : "Here at Hollister, we're not just about work. We're about image. We be straight outta socal so you gotta rep the brand. Do you have what it takes to be sexy 24/7?!"

*Switch cameras to fat, pasty, white nerd in a way-too-tight shirt, short shorts and flip flops with hairy feet.*

You could have a scenario where you're interviewed by 10 people at once and you have to block the door in order to make sure none of them leave without a thank you letter.

The movie would open with scrapped together footage of a kid reading comics, playing video games, making food, etc. with upbeat, happy music. Then it shows you with your friends at the bar and the're all "Hey man, we're going to the *college football* game on Tuesday afternoon, wanna come?" "Nah dude, I'm pretty busy." Then cut to a caption of the outside of Benny's house with "Tuesday" printed at the top. Re-loop the intro scene of video game playing and comic book reading. Then it shows a web browser with a cursor clicking "Apply now" next to 10 different positions in a matter of seconds and cut to you yelling "I APPLIED TO 10 FRIGGIN JOBS TODAY, MOM! GEESH!" all synched up to "Another Day" by Paul McCartney

*Jonah Hill in surf shorts, tank top, hemp necklace and sideways visor and Crocs* "Sup brah, welcome to Hollister.*

cname fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Feb 27, 2014

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Eris posted:

And I'm curious about telling him about how you were the ideal candidate. This is really a good tip for anyone - but if he said "the best person is punctual, friendly and can think quickly" did you just ... tell him you were those things? Or did you give examples about a time you impressed a customer with great service and solved a problem before it escalated? If the latter, what kind of examples did you give?

(I hope it's the latter. In everything Benny, even writing, it's show, not tell.)
I gave the thank-you-note after the interview. I wasn't told who was interviewing me, so I came in with a blank card and filled it out afterwards. As for the "Who's your ideal candidate" question, I did more tell than show. I guess it's something that I'm going to have to remember next time I have an interview like that. Again, the hardest part was I couldn't say that I have retail experience or tie that in without revealing that I was fired at Target, so I felt like I had my hands tied behind my back. Other than that, I think the interview went really well.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 28, 2014

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Benny you can't sell power tools. The stupid fucks that buy any tools there will know a hundred times more than you. They will laugh and call for a manger. Seriously, you need to apply for a walmart greeter. Something you just have to show up for regularly, on time. Fake the special needs for an extra point on the EOE score. They don't ask for a certificate or anything.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Darth123123 posted:

Benny you can't sell power tools. The stupid fucks that buy any tools there will know a hundred times more than you. They will laugh and call for a manger. Seriously, you need to apply for a walmart greeter. Something you just have to show up for regularly, on time. Fake the special needs for an extra point on the EOE score. They don't ask for a certificate or anything.
I'm being interviewed as a cashier, not a sales associate.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

Benny the Snake posted:

I gave the thank-you-note after the interview. I wasn't told who was interviewing me, so I came in with a blank card and filled it out afterwards.

Did you have the manager wait at his desk while you filled it out, or did you leave the room, fill it out, then come back to deliver it?

Either way, it's pretty funny. I'm laughing but in a good-natured way. It's definitely unusual. If I had a candidate do that after an interview, I would be very confused. I probably would not hold it against them, it would just be odd. Next time, shoot the manager an email a day or so after the interview. It will not be as awkward or unusual.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

lexan posted:

Did you have the manager wait at his desk while you filled it out, or did you leave the room, fill it out, then come back to deliver it?

Either way, it's pretty funny. I'm laughing but in a good-natured way. It's definitely unusual. If I had a candidate do that after an interview, I would be very confused. I probably would not hold it against them, it would just be odd. Next time, shoot the manager an email a day or so after the interview. It will not be as awkward or unusual.

Seriously. In all my decades, in all the jobs I've worked (since my first one in high school), I've never heard of —or seen— this. Maybe it's a California thing :confused:

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Oh my god I thought you meant you gave your job guidance guy a thankyou note not the interviewer and you were just wordsing all over the page again.

A thankyou note, right after an interview. That is loving weird never do that again.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Benny the Snake posted:

I wasn't told who was interviewing me, so I came in with a blank card and filled it out afterwards.

At least your interviewer will remember you. This is really funny, but I don't think it's really a bad thing.

101 pages, Benny. This might be the one.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
Wait. Benny, did someone tell you to hand out thank-you cards? Because honestly, that's really bizarre and I've never heard of anyone doing that.

lexan
Apr 24, 2004

Someday I'll be a big producer on Broadway, and you'll be singin' your opera in the street with a tin cup in your hand!

CravingSolace posted:

Wait. Benny, did someone tell you to hand out thank-you cards? Because honestly, that's really bizarre and I've never heard of anyone doing that.

I think his career counselor told him to. As I said, the counselor probably meant to send an email the following day, not to hand him a Hallmark card.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
Yeah they probably told him "Oh and also, it's polite to send a follow up after the interview thanking them for the opportunity" or something and dude interpreted that as literally a physical card immediately after it

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
"Please choo-choo choose me!"

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Usually you would mail it in.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
Yeah, per my BCOMM teacher, you mail it the next day.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011

Arian_Samurai posted:

Usually you would mail it in.

I prefer email. A lot of the time they have their initial discussion in the next day or two, and by the time a physical card gets delivered it's probably too late.

Eris
Mar 20, 2002
And for regular, normal people -- this isn't a thank you note. An interview isn't a social call, it's a meeting to decide if employment is mutually beneficial. Your "thank you" should appreciate their time, but it's really an opportunity to highlight anything discussed during interview.

Also, Benny - your ace in the hole "ideal candidate" question loses ALL of its impressiveness if you just parrot back what they said to you. I mean, what do you think they're going to say? "Wow! I told that guy I wanted punctual, respectful and good with registers and ... He just told me he's all those things!! Score! how did he know i wanted just that in an employee?" Use your brain, Benny.

Anyone else think two interviews for a cashier position is weird?

Personperson
Nov 3, 2012

Eris posted:

Anyone else think two interviews for a cashier position is weird?

I know for my cashiering position at a dry cleaners I had two interviews, granted one was with somebody from corporate and one was with the manager of the store I'd actually be working at. I believe when my sister was hired at Sears as a MCA (merchandise and customer associate is what I think she said it meant) she had an interview with the store manager and then one with the department manager over wherever she ended up being. She was also people to ring people up in her department so I guess she was kind of a cashier?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
My career counselor told me to write a thank-you-note after an interview. What I did was as soon as the interview was over, I stepped outside the office, wrote the note down, then I went back in and handed it to the manager.

EDIT: I asked my counselor about doing an email instead, but he insisted that I do a thank-you-note. I don't make the rules, I just follow 'em :shrug:

Arch Stanton
Nov 23, 2003
EYEBALLS AND TONGUES DON'T MIX EW EW EW EW EW

Benny the Snake posted:

What I did was as soon as the interview was over, I stepped outside the office, wrote the note down, then I went back in and handed it to the manager.

You are definitely not getting that job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

My career counselor told me to write a thank-you-note after an interview. What I did was as soon as the interview was over, I stepped outside the office, wrote the note down, then I went back in and handed it to the manager.

EDIT: I asked my counselor about doing an email instead, but he insisted that I do a thank-you-note. I don't make the rules, I just follow 'em :shrug:

1) Keep in mind that the best job your career counselor can get is being a career counselor. Consider alternatives when appropriate (but you've proven your judgment is faulty, so try other people's advice)
2) In all relationships worth having, give some time between first contact and second contact.

• Locked thread