Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Paladine_PSoT posted:

I can always just testcopy if when it gets boring

This sounds like what we'll probably do. He said he "doesn't want to game-genie his EQ experience" but I really feel like by the time we've spent a month leveling we'll both be tired and end up test copying. Good call.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poistiant
Aug 22, 2006
I wish I could shanghai some of you guys to play a class that we lack in my guild, would have groups and raids to do instead of just leveling up a 5th box character. Test is for sissies.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Poistiant posted:

I wish I could shanghai some of you guys to play a class that we lack in my guild, would have groups and raids to do instead of just leveling up a 5th box character. Test is for sissies.

What do you lack? i'm just 25 its not like ive gotten far by any stretch of the imagination

Poistiant
Aug 22, 2006

Paladine_PSoT posted:

What do you lack? i'm just 25 its not like ive gotten far by any stretch of the imagination

My guild is on Drinal, familish raid guild.

Beastlord
Berserker
Cleric
Paladin
Shaman
Wizard

Could sneak a bard in there too I bet just would have to convince the leader you aren't a shithead. I will help ya level up to 100 but my pling has been hindered by decap change, also I'll give you some money if you end up seeming committed to the character. You will still have to apply to the guild and stuff but if you are a nice person you get in anyway so it's no big deal.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I've been active on AB for the past month or so. I'm going to soon transfer over my original Zliz Monk plus my Shaman from Luclin to AB and continue playing him there. Got enough free SC to do the transfers.

The Test goonrush was a ridiculous amount of fun, but in the long run, it feels like cheating. I really like having to "worry" about loot and platinum.

suuma posted:

We're both up for the normal leveling path & not getting to cap in like a day with the xp bonuses. My only concern is that on a live server, we'll burn out from grinding before we're functional enough to be able to duo all the old content we never got to see, etc.
This is a valid concern, although it depends on how old and how challenging you mean. For example, I stick almost purely to pre-Velious content from 1-55ish when I level up new characters, just for the nostalgia. With the safety net of mercs, it's so fun and relatively easy to go deep into old dungeons. You can do Howling Stones in the mid 40's, Sebilis at 50 (and clear the entire place at like 55 excluding Trak), and many other dungeons.

Kunark dragons will require high 60's perhaps. Velious raid bosses high 70's or so. If you make it to level 80 and upgrade your gear to "House of Thule Tier 1 gear" (HoT T1), the old world is your oyster, ripe for the raping.

The recent AA auto-grant patch has made a big difference because you don't need to stop and grind AA at all. Still, I will say that the 70's get pretty dull to grind, but the lure of level 80 should keep you interested.

suuma posted:

My brother and I are thinking about picking EQ back up again to mess around. We both played from like 1999-2006 and a bit in 2008-2009. We both plan to 2-box, though I might 3-box.

Is SK/Bard/Mage or something/Druid/Berserker/Cleric merc a terrible group? Or should one of us plan to actually box a cleric? Are the DPS mercs terrible? (This would probably sway my decision to play a 3rd character).

We'll probably just level to 85-90, get some AA and then do old stuff like epic 1.0-2.0s & wander through whatever old raid content we can 1-group. I'm not sure if he really wants to play on test, though, but I'm trying to push him that way (so we don't have to pay for like 5 accounts).
SK/Bard/Mage sounds very good, although lacking a priest to heal and buff. Maybe your brother can play a Druid or Shaman?

Boxing a Cleric... forget it. Just use a cleric merc and have a druid/shaman for backup.

I would recommend having either a druid or a wizard for teleports. A wiz does a lot of easily boxed damage.

DPS mercs are decent. The wizard in "burn" mode will chain cast his biggest nukes for obscene damage. They're super powerful particularly at lower levels (up to around 70) because they not only do a ton of damage, they can also tank fine too. I'm not sure how they do at higher levels, or how melee mercs are.

Two people 2-boxing, plus 2 mercs total would be a good group with a ton of potential.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Poistiant posted:

My guild is on Drinal, familish raid guild.

Beastlord
Berserker
Cleric
Paladin
Shaman
Wizard

Could sneak a bard in there too I bet just would have to convince the leader you aren't a shithead. I will help ya level up to 100 but my pling has been hindered by decap change, also I'll give you some money if you end up seeming committed to the character. You will still have to apply to the guild and stuff but if you are a nice person you get in anyway so it's no big deal.

Nice, right on I can cleric pretty well. In as cuchulainn, /t me.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
I ran SK/bard/necro and you couldn't convince me to drop a single one of those except necro for mage if I liked mage, so SK/bard/mage is perfect. You're free from having to worry about tank AA requirements, so the only thing actually holding you back from your SK being a beast is augs. Camp those starting at 70 while you're XPing. Progress from 25AC to 40+AC per item slot for each aug. By 100 you should be aiming for 35+ in every slot with 40+ preferred. Evilgamer.net has an exhaustive list of them, so just pick those up as you go and your SK will be a monster

You can probably realistically achieve 8500 or so AC without raid gear or buffs if you max your gear and augs. The difference between 8500 AC and the 7k or so you'll have with shitlord gear and no augs is HUGE. Like playing a totally different character. The 12k or so AC my raid geared SK hits buffed in group content makes him pretty much immortal unless I just don't press any buttons at all and have no cleric merc out at all.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Like Kodaji said, camp any augs that give you XP so you can at least get SOMETHING out of them. Hang out at the 25 AC camps in Riftseeker's around 70-75 and grind XP there, do the ones in Dreadspire, etc etc. It only gets more annoying to go back there and not having augs as a tank is a serious problem.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Pilsner posted:

I've been active on AB for the past month or so. I'm going to soon transfer over my original Zliz Monk plus my Shaman from Luclin to AB and continue playing him there. Got enough free SC to do the transfers.

Sup AB buddy. Thought I was the only goon left on the server.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Whoever was Gadaku who messaged me for the pling just do it again, didn't see your tell until after you logged.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Stanos posted:

Like Kodaji said, camp any augs that give you XP so you can at least get SOMETHING out of them. Hang out at the 25 AC camps in Riftseeker's around 70-75 and grind XP there, do the ones in Dreadspire, etc etc. It only gets more annoying to go back there and not having augs as a tank is a serious problem.

Not sure if the group gear tanking game has changed for knights (I know it has for Warriors and they no longer have issues) but you and I saw repeatedly that even with solid gear and full augs, PC group geared tanks are pretty rough.

Stanos' BST/druid and I duo'd a ton and there were definitely times we had to just suck it up and let his pet tank instead of my SK. That was a year ago+ and I'm pretty sure the new knight buttons put knights in a place at least above pets, but the overall point still stands: If you're playing a PC tank class, now that AA aren't an issue, not camping the full set of augs WILL cripple you to the point you feel awful. If you camp them at-level, they're almost all good xp (Dreadspire isn't unless you spend a bit doing the doorman key quest so you have things to kill) and you've gotta have them anyway, so you are a dumbass if you don't use them to break up grind monotony.

If your tank has raid gear, this is much less of an issue because you can snooze through group poo poo with zero augs, but it's a pretty moot point since you won't have raid gear unless you either loot it youself (which requires you to have those augs to survive the raids at all) or buy it on FV in which case you can just buy the augs too, plus at that point who cares about group missions.

I'm at 40+AC in every aug slot with tank heroics (hDex/hAgi) and still dogpile onto every new AC aug released. There are a few you can't just camp at any time (Anniversary missions, ToFS anniversary raid shield aug), but by 100 you can for sure have 40+ in most slots and 35+ with hDex/Agi in the offslots. If you roll into CoTF with a suboptimal group as a tank with a bunch of 25 AC augs, may God himself have mercy on your soul. Fabled/Anniv is coming in the next couple months and if you're on Test, our guild has a ton of pubbie raids for the ToFS augs and other anniv raid augs, so you can just show up, stand there (probably die), then collect your sick augs. The ToFS one in particular is pretty key for tanks because it fits into a shield and is only bettered by the pretty-rare Naggy raid aug which you'll never have a chance to loot on a pub raid

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Hey Midnight, any chance you can get a bard to 85 for me this evening/weekend? I made a 3rd account.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

If he can't, I'll drag ya up to 85 next week in a couple hours once my new laptop arrives

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Yeah just message me in game under the new name Passenger. About to go to sleep but will be on most tomorrow.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

dual boxed for the first time tonight, is it just leading with the main and /following with the secondary (Cleric)? Auto follow seems... hosed. He ended up running in random rear end circles around my main and into various pits and whatnot.

Also are there any mods/utilities/whatever like ffxi windower that make it more playable?

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Paladine_PSoT posted:

dual boxed for the first time tonight, is it just leading with the main and /following with the secondary (Cleric)? Auto follow seems... hosed. He ended up running in random rear end circles around my main and into various pits and whatnot.

Also are there any mods/utilities/whatever like ffxi windower that make it more playable?
No, that's how it is, unless you want to look into illegal hacks. Auto follow is laggy, because even though you're playing on the same computer, the follow mechanics take place on the server as if you were two different players across the country.

The random circles are more unfortunate, and happen occasionally. A quick alt tab (or hotkey) switching to the character spazzing out fixes it. You can also try to "intercept" their retarded circle-running and sort of "pick up" the character doing it. I've read some people say that making sure your 2nd character(s) have a decent framerate can fix things.

You learn to deal with its quirkiness. Doesn't bother me much personally.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is there any way to get RoF expansion (on a live server) without paying for CotF as well? I've got 5 accounts sitting at 95, and I wouldn't mind getting them to 100, but not at $40 a box.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
If you're not using ISboxer or something of its kind, you just kind of have to deal with autofollow. Don't make sharp turns, make a habit of running into walls in twisty dungeons and always check to make sure. Also are you planning on playing that cleric in group/raid content with real PCs? If you are, cool but I'd go with another priest if you're just boxing in my opinion. Or it could be I'm just a lazy poo poo and hated primary healing with a box group. Without it I was fine but drat it was annoying to play BST and heal at the same time sometimes.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

MrTheDevious posted:

Not sure if the group gear tanking game has changed for knights (I know it has for Warriors and they no longer have issues) but you and I saw repeatedly that even with solid gear and full augs, PC group geared tanks are pretty rough.

How do warriors compare to the knights these days? I seem to remember that SKs were kings and paladins were laughed at just like rangers, but of course this was years ago. I'd rather play an SK (for thematic reasons and also because I played a undergeared warrior in the days of stand here and press kick sometimes) but if warriors or paladins are significantly 'better' I wouldn't mind rolling that instead.

acumen posted:

I'm still rocking Roost on Test server, and have been fairly active over the past couple weeks playing with some of my (non-goon) friends. Let me know if you want an invite for whatever reason.

Thanks for this. We'll probably roll on EMarr for now since I have 400k laying around, but if we make it to Test I'll see if I can't hit you up.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
SK/paladin can do anything a warrior can do for group stuff, and has more utility. Knights are almost always a better choice while two-boxing.

If you have like 6 boxes then imo warrior is simpler and more hands free.

Paladins have fewer good resources like evilgamer so most paladins in the wild are god awful, but can be made extremely viable if played right.

darkhand fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Feb 28, 2014

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

suuma posted:

Thanks for this. We'll probably roll on EMarr for now since I have 400k laying around, but if we make it to Test I'll see if I can't hit you up.

I have four toons on E.Marr, holler at Gerrymander or post your char's name here and I'll find you for groups (hard to PL with a lvl 45 rogue, though :-) ).

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Pilsner posted:

No, that's how it is, unless you want to look into illegal hacks. Auto follow is laggy, because even though you're playing on the same computer, the follow mechanics take place on the server as if you were two different players across the country.

The random circles are more unfortunate, and happen occasionally. A quick alt tab (or hotkey) switching to the character spazzing out fixes it. You can also try to "intercept" their retarded circle-running and sort of "pick up" the character doing it. I've read some people say that making sure your 2nd character(s) have a decent framerate can fix things.

You learn to deal with its quirkiness. Doesn't bother me much personally.

The cleric is for end game, the mage is there for powerleveling purposes. Right now I have the mage with a heal merc and elemental pet, the cleric with a tank merc on autofollow, and I do everything with the mage, tabbing over to the cleric if i need extra healing.

Now if I could just figure out how to cause a retard loop I could just afk in an area with aggressive spawns and let the looper play puller while my pets/mercs kill stuff.

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Feb 28, 2014

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

DerekSmartymans posted:

I have four toons on E.Marr, holler at Gerrymander or post your char's name here and I'll find you for groups (hard to PL with a lvl 45 rogue, though :-) ).

I'll do this once we get going. It's going to be a few weeks before we get started, unfortunately.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Paladine_PSoT posted:

The cleric is for end game, the mage is there for powerleveling purposes. Right now I have the mage with a heal merc and elemental pet, the cleric with a tank merc on autofollow, and I do everything with the mage, tabbing over to the cleric if i need extra healing.

Now if I could just figure out how to cause a retard loop I could just afk in an area with aggressive spawns and let the looper play puller while my pets/mercs kill stuff.
Well, you can just park your characters apart, and whenever one of them gets aggro, the mercs will come to their rescue. If you have enough characters, you can make a pearls-on-a-string line of characters that cover a larger area, with mercs doing the work.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone want to sell me 5 kronos for $50 before I go the PA route?

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Paw, parts of Wall of Slaughter (northwest murkglider tunnels), Sebilis, Inner Acrylia Caverns, basically any place with a good 2-3 camp and some roamers. Don't be shocked if you get killed in the middle of the night on a bad spawn and don't be surprised if someone trains you. Take your licks and move on. The idea is to find a place with low foot traffic, roamers and NOTHING NEAR MOBS PEOPLE LIKE TO CAMP/XP ON. I only recommend Paw because of how good it is for AFK xp but on random bad alts I would get trained there within the hour when I afk'd while studying for a class or working. The gargoyles in the hole are also great but good luck getting those free and without getting trained by someone else who wants them.

Even if you find a great spot, you will probably be inevitably trained and a decent amount of live players frown on AFK merc/pet groups. Be careful. Hell, after I got done afk mercin (why bother with a high level druid/ranger/bard PL squad?) I would train people who were either in my way or on a camp I wanted. Of course training is still against the rules but good luck getting a GM to bother unless its constant and abusive.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

Stanos posted:

Paw, parts of Wall of Slaughter (northwest murkglider tunnels), Sebilis, Inner Acrylia Caverns, basically any place with a good 2-3 camp and some roamers. Don't be shocked if you get killed in the middle of the night on a bad spawn and don't be surprised if someone trains you. Take your licks and move on. The idea is to find a place with low foot traffic, roamers and NOTHING NEAR MOBS PEOPLE LIKE TO CAMP/XP ON. I only recommend Paw because of how good it is for AFK xp but on random bad alts I would get trained there within the hour when I afk'd while studying for a class or working. The gargoyles in the hole are also great but good luck getting those free and without getting trained by someone else who wants them.

Even if you find a great spot, you will probably be inevitably trained and a decent amount of live players frown on AFK merc/pet groups. Be careful. Hell, after I got done afk mercin (why bother with a high level druid/ranger/bard PL squad?) I would train people who were either in my way or on a camp I wanted. Of course training is still against the rules but good luck getting a GM to bother unless its constant and abusive.

Skyfire sounds about right

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Guys, I have over 12,000 spider silks.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

jetz0r posted:

Guys, I have over 12,000 spider silks.

That sure is a lot of dead crag spiders

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Anyone recommend a good place to molo with a 95 monk? Pretty decent gear (non raid) but places like valley are pretty slow still.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
These loyalist crown thingies. What is a good way to spend them? Seemed to me like the only decent options were the big bags and the golden tickets.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

Zhentar posted:

These loyalist crown thingies. What is a good way to spend them? Seemed to me like the only decent options were the big bags and the golden tickets.

Primary & Secondary anchors for 2 guild hall or player home gates (1 hr ~15 min recast) if you're not a caster (or hell even if you are). Vicious Rabbit for a little extra dps. The player houses you can buy with them do not have weekly rental fees, so you'll only be paying the plot fee. Also bags of old raid currency for powersources if you want to buy them from TBS and not from the bazaar

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Zhentar posted:

Perfected aug removers, rez tokens, and primary and secondary anchors if you're in a guild.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Why da fuuuuuuuuuuck was I not aware of the illusion from this clickie I've had for something like 5 years??

It's Tasteless Froglok Leg. I forgot where I got it from.

Yes, the death (and feign death) animation is precisely like a Guk froglok. :)

Poistiant
Aug 22, 2006
I hate that I want the froglok illusion now and don't know where to get it.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

Pilsner posted:

Why da fuuuuuuuuuuck was I not aware of the illusion from this clickie I've had for something like 5 years??

It's Tasteless Froglok Leg. I forgot where I got it from.

Yes, the death (and feign death) animation is precisely like a Guk froglok. :)

I tried to get a GM/guide to give me it for being the only person to show up to a GM event and they gave me the ghost froglok stick with 5 charges. :(

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

You can get a buddy to make you some of the essence of froglok potions, it's the same illusion and it owns. I carry 40 or so around most the times.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Stanos posted:

I tried to get a GM/guide to give me it for being the only person to show up to a GM event and they gave me the ghost froglok stick with 5 charges. :(

All those illusion items (well, almost all of them) show up as potions of various colors when placed in your house, so they're nice if you like to decorate. Plus, guides are usually given a weapon or shield ornament to give out every month or so. I have something like 5 shields, one from getting second place in a yearly guide contest, the rest from random ones. And I have a bunch of weapons and ranged ornaments. Yesterday I got a... bouquet of flowers you can put in your primary ornamentation slot, so I'm tanking stuff and hitting them with flowers which makes me feel just... uh, fabulous.

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

Yeah a guide or gm or some such popped on a few months ago for testing a quest. I got a bouquet, an elven spear ornament and some potions of Siren illusion. The dude I talked to was ultra nice, I should have asked for cool stuff, though I'm not sure what they can give out. Would be cool to get some schwag like tablet of alaran history or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
They only give cosmetic stuff out. Whoever thought up the idea of guide events giving out ornaments instead of star rubies was a genius.

I still maintain that they should give out one artifact per server, once per year, that would be an item 5 to 10% better than current raid gear. Just make four items for the four archetypes so a tank doesn't get a caster item. I miss the days of artifacts.