Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
You've got it right, historically Ebonheart (one of the two main player cities in Morrowind politics historically, eventually surpassed by Mournhold) is on the mainland. Castle Ebonheart on Vvardenfell is never exactly clear why it's there, but it's probably an Imperial creation to give legitimacy to Duke Vedam Dren's rule.

I am a massive TES lore sperg, it's true, it's true. Which is a contributing factor to why I'm getting the Imperial Edition of TES:O, because I must have that statue and that lore book, and I must play it to see the new lore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Sky Shadowing posted:

I must play it to see the new lore.

gently caress, I didn't think of that. I haven't seen anything about the game (other than it is a MMORPG) so there is that.

Maybe I'll just read the wiki...

Hyphen-B
Nov 28, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Alright so I've just encountered a couple of really strange bugs in my latest playthrough. I've gotten to about level 25 and started dabbling in Enchant. I made a Fortify Strength 1 - 47 amulet no problem; the value stays constant when you put the item on and changes every time you remove and replace it. A couple hours later I decided to make some Exquisite Sweatpants to restore my fatigue, with a value of 1 - 27 or so. This time, though, the value would constantly fluctuate even if I didn't remove the pants. No problem, I'll just set it as a fixed 15 points. Done.

Now I'm hosed. Apparently any Golden Saint soul I attempt to use can only Enchant to a Cast Once type. Is there a script tied to grand soul gems that allows a constant effect? I have MGSO and a bunch of mods installed but this hasn't been an issue for the past however many hours I put into this save. I can't think of anything that would cause this sort of change. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

If you have BTB's mod he disables making constant effect enchantments because that also "breaks the game".

I usually edit that out.

edit: the setting itself is a GMST, something like "minimum soul for constant effect". He made it 1203823 or something, you just have to set it back to it's 400 default or better yet, delete that GMST with TESame

mbt fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 28, 2014

Hyphen-B
Nov 28, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
What's BTB's mod, again? But that's what's so strange about this. I didn't add any mods or change any settings in the time it took for this to happen.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Oh wow I didn't read this was a new issue. No idea on that one. Either way ensure you don't have BTB - Equipment in your list.

Hyphen-B
Nov 28, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nope, I don't have that in my list. I'll look into it further

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
The reason the restore fatigue is fluctuating is because its casting a variable level spell every time unit, whereas the fortify spell just fortifies it once and until you take it off. Are you trying to enchant paper? Paper always no matter what size soul makes a cast once enchantment.

Hyphen-B
Nov 28, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Wow... I'm dumb. I hadn't selected an item to be enchanted. I only had the soulgem selected and when I couldn't cycle through cast types, assumed it was bugged. Guess I didn't have a problem at all, haha. I didn't know about that about Restore Fatigue, that's kind of interesting. Thanks guys.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I know that MGSO is supposed to be an idiot-proof all-in-one thing but I really wish I could get a version of it that loving isn't. I just wanna use its utilities that apparently are located nowhere else on the internet, like MorrowINI, and do things the way I want to without having it do it control-grabbing and in the exact order it says or nothing.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Black Pants posted:

I know that MGSO is supposed to be an idiot-proof all-in-one thing but I really wish I could get a version of it that loving isn't. I just wanna use its utilities that apparently are located nowhere else on the internet, like MorrowINI, and do things the way I want to without having it do it control-grabbing and in the exact order it says or nothing.

MorrowINI was included with a few mods, have you tried checking SWG Skies v3? http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/21960

Also if you don't want automated, Knots' guide from a year ago is still good. http://www.somethingfornobody.com/blog/morrowind-modding-guide/

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh. Well colour me embarrassed. Thanks for that.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
I'm about to start on doing House Telvanni's questline for the first time. Is Uvirith's Legacy worth installing beforehand? Will that gently caress up my save in any way (pretty sure none of my mods affect the tower at this point)

Also, what about Rise of House Telvanni?

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Feb 28, 2014

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Mortimer posted:

If you have BTB's mod he disables making constant effect enchantments because that also "breaks the game".

I usually edit that out.

edit: the setting itself is a GMST, something like "minimum soul for constant effect". He made it 1203823 or something, you just have to set it back to it's 400 default or better yet, delete that GMST with TESame

It's in BTB-Settings.esp. I had no idea that BTB disabled creating constant effect enchantments. That is one of the least fun changes I can imagine. I just fixed that in my own version.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Adding mods is usually fine, it's when you remove them that problems can start happening. And yeah, Uvirith's Legacy is good, but I haven't played with Rise before. That's on my list.

Edit: that is to say, provided the mod isn't full of bugs or conflicting with one of your existing mods or drastically altering a quest you've already started, adding them mid-game won't 'break' anything. I can't actually think of any Morrowind mods that -require- a new game, thinking of it. Mods were simpler back then.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 28, 2014

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Oggumogoggum posted:

I had no idea that BTB disabled creating constant effect enchantments. That is one of the least fun changes I can imagine.
Can you imagine an unfun change?
┣━→ Yes: it is probably part of BTB's game improvements
┗━→ No: well, BTB could, and made it part of his game improvements

Can you imagine a fun change?
┣━→ Yes: well, BTB couldn't
┗━→ No: neither could BTB

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Honestly the only people that should be using BTB are people like me who have been playing this game for over a decade.

I love everything about Morrowind but after this many years I need some drastic gameplay changes to prevent me from abusing the heck out of the game and getting bored in 5 minutes.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
i just use btb for the changes in cost and availability of ingredients, spells and armor. poo poo was unplayable until i modded the normal enchantments, alchemy effects, and use of all spells for enchanting/spellmaking back into btb's plugins. there are nuggets of good change, but as a whole it goes so loving overboard it's not even funny

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mr. Crow posted:

Honestly the only people that should be using BTB are people like me who have been playing this game for over a decade.

I love everything about Morrowind but after this many years I need some drastic gameplay changes to prevent me from abusing the heck out of the game and getting bored in 5 minutes.

This is a correct post.

BTB is the most :spergin: of overhauls, but it is comprehensive and does a ton to "fix" all the broken things you can do in Morrowind.

If you're looking to just make constant effect invisibility/levitate spells or become rich as gently caress at level 2, don't bother with it.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I guess I'm sticking with Adventurers then.

The Nish
Mar 3, 2007
BTB's stuff was better when he was just sticking to fixing and tweaking balance mods by other people. Once he stopped the tweaking and began making it his own, he began confusing tediousness for difficulty. Doubling the base costs of the intervention effects and recall doesn't really make the game more difficult. Same thing with the skill progression edits he makes. Majors are made to progress as minors and minors as miscellaneous. Then weapon and armor skill progression are also cut in half.

His mod suite isn't something I would really recommend to someone playing Morrowind for the first time. Someone's only going to like it if they have a masochistic tastes or can't keep themselves from breaking the game. It really shouldn't be offered as a base improvement for the game for most people. There are other balancing mods out there, but good luck getting them to work well together.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

This discussion is making me consider switching out BTB's Improvements for Adventurers or Wakim's in the upcoming Chocolate Pack 1.0 release. I will have to do some testing.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Oggumogoggum posted:

This discussion is making me consider switching out BTB's Improvements for Adventurers or Wakim's in the upcoming Chocolate Pack 1.0 release. I will have to do some testing.

I wonder if you could drastically cut down BTB's mods and package them, because a lot of what he does is tedious work that makes sense, it's just these handful of things that are stupid.

Somehow I don't think he'll mind, considering his mod was a Wakim's copy to begin with.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Mortimer posted:

I wonder if you could drastically cut down BTB's mods and package them, because a lot of what he does is tedious work that makes sense, it's just these handful of things that are stupid.

I'd be interested in doing this -- turning BTB's Game Improvements into something that still retains the 'fun' of becoming super powerful.

I'd need to start really digging through the changes that each module makes and determining what should stay and what should go.

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!

Black Pants posted:

Once the process installs everything, there's nothing preventing you from going into the programs yourself (like MGE, MCP and the mods control panel) and changing things.

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

I don't have pm's so just let me know what upgrade you want in the thread.

Thanks. Archives sounds good. My e-mail address is in my profile.

Also, one important thing:
Has anybody had trouble downloading any of the mods from Gamespy listed in the OP? Their site's been performing really inconsistently for me for a while and I'm wondering if I should start finding mirrors.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I didn't even know Gamespy was still A Thing.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

mw.modhistory.com has every mod ever posted on gamespy and then some

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
Yeah, the Bethesda forums had a big effort to save a bunch of mods when PES first announced it wasn't accepting any new ones. I was waiting to see whether they would keep the files up indefinitely anyway, but it looks like I'll need to switch them over soon.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED

Oggumogoggum posted:

I'd be interested in doing this -- turning BTB's Game Improvements into something that still retains the 'fun' of becoming super powerful.

I'd need to start really digging through the changes that each module makes and determining what should stay and what should go.

I kinda already did this for Equipment (kept cost/weight edits, set enchantments back to vanilla), Alchemy (kept weight/cost/vendors, reverted "gamebreaking" effects back to vanilla), and Spells (kept recosted spells and distribution among vendors and enemies, unlocked spellmaking/enchant for spells that were blocked off, removed constant effect enchant block) if anyone is interested in these edits.

Probably aren't as detailed hand-picking what should stay and go as you would plan on doing, but it's a nice start towards a middle ground.

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 1, 2014

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'd be interested in those edits. Do you mind posting the ESP files?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Yeah, I'm also interested.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Did you use his included esp that puts back skill gains on misc skills?

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Mortimer posted:

Did you use his included esp that puts back skill gains on misc skills?

IS THAT what's making my misc skills not increase? Dammit BTB, I thought that came from the newest GCD.

I'm seriously considering dropping this poo poo altogether.

smokyprogg
Apr 9, 2008

BROKEN DOWN!
MISSION FAILED
So I don't have an edit of BTB's settings esp on hand since that just was a bunch of things I knew I didn't want (this includes the enchantment prevention). I don't really know what all is super-broken (read: not fun) in this one, so i recommend just not using it. :v:

Use the equipment and spells mods instead of the originals.

The alchemy one is in two parts because I'm lazy, there is no real good way to extract spell changes for potions, and the potion edits in BTB's are pretty good all and all (I returned Telvanni Bug Musk's effect back to fortify personality 40, because the 10 btb changed it to makes it worthless). Just make sure the one marked 'Patch' comes after the original in the load order. The original is included as well in here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6w94eousi1yfl2b/BTB%20edits.zip

Oggumogoggum posted:

IS THAT what's making my misc skills not increase? Dammit BTB, I thought that came from the newest GCD.

I'm seriously considering dropping this poo poo altogether.

I don't have this issue, so I'm guessing that's from the settings esp, which 100% justifies not using that poo poo, what the gently caress, btb

I just remembered that I didn't revert liquors back to their default with Alchemy (which prevents Sujamma stacking hax mainly). Don't have time to edit it now, but would people be interested in that minor change?

smokyprogg fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 1, 2014

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I haven't touched morrowind in a few months, but I feel like you can still train misc. skills? They just don't passively increase.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mr. Crow posted:

I haven't touched morrowind in a few months, but I feel like you can still train misc. skills? They just don't passively increase.

This is correct.

Y'all nw'ahs need to read the readmes that come with mods.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mr. Crow posted:

Gyshall posted:

This is a correct post.

BTB is the most :spergin: of overhauls, but it is comprehensive and does a ton to "fix" all the broken things you can do in Morrowind.

If you're looking to just make constant effect invisibility/levitate spells or become rich as gently caress at level 2, don't bother with it.

Agreed. I use and enjoy BTB, but it really isn't for everybody. Everybody plays semi-sandboxes like Morrowind for different reasons, and for some people, BTB's changes are the antithesis of those reasons. Different strokes and all.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

So installed the Overhaul modpack and for some reason I start getting a stuttering audio glitch on the ambient noise, steadily getting louder over the course of 10 minutes before the game crashes and leaves the stuttering audio loop until I restart my comp. Anybody know how to fix this?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Oggumogoggum posted:

I have a fresh install of Morrowind waiting for Chocolate Pack 1.0. :woof:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Hog Butcher posted:

I have a fresh install of Morrowind waiting for Chocolate Pack 1.0. :woof:

Chocolate is poisonous to dogs :woof: