Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

Thirding this.

Also, Beach Blast 1992 is pretty good. Sting/Cactus, Rude/Steamboat, Pillman/Raven, and Steiners vs Gordy/Dr. Death.

Edit: I'm probably in the minority, but I much prefer Rick Rude in WCW. There, I said it.

Rude's WCW run was his peak to me.

In other news, WCW was really loving good in 1997!

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Feb 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

poo poo, even Glacier's match was quite good. The only match that didn't have any appeal was Buff vs Scotty.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The only match that didn't have any appeal was Buff vs Scotty.

And even that match had Buff taking time out to talk to the camera about how awesome he was.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

RZApublican posted:

And even that match had Buff taking time out to talk to the camera about how awesome he was.

Several times!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

MassRafTer posted:

Rick Rude feuds in WWF: Ultimate Warrior, Jake Roberts
Rick Rude feuds in WCW: Sting, Ricky Steamboat

Lesser feuds in the WWF included the Bossman and Orndorff, while his lesser stuff in WCW included Ron Simmons. It's no contest.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

ayn rand hand job posted:

I actually forgot that Uncensored '97 was a pretty great show. Pretty solid card all around, ME wasn't too terrible despite having 4 pages of rules that Michael Buffer had to read.

it's a bit of a clusterfuck but the Lex Luger comeback at the end is really good and the crowd is absolutely losing their mind

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

I've spent so much time clopping to fillies that my joints have locked up!
Kind of a dumb question probably, but what sort of shape was Rude in prior to his death? He was planning an in-ring return wasn't he? Dude looked like he was chiseled from granite in his prime but during his DX/jump to WCW he tended to wear suits and stuff that didn't really show what kind of shape he was in. Was he still ripped to shreds, did he let himself go due to inaction or is it unknown?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
I believe he was back on the roids preparing for an in-ring return and his heart exploded. If you look at him when he was doing color for ECW in 1997 he doesn't look as ripped as he was in the 80s. I'm sure someone else can provide more details.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The PPV where Hogan turned (Bash at the Beach 96) is quite good, as is Superbrawl II, and Great American Bash 96. Also, Wrestlewar 89, where Flair and Steamboat had a ***** match is a pretty good show in general.

Wrestlewar 89 was the first WCW show I ever saw (roughly around 1990 or so), and it blew me away - Flair/Steamboat was and remains loving incredible. Unfortunately (or perhaps, fortunately) we didn't get WCW stuff on television until 95/96 so WWF remained my only source of pro-wrestling for the next couple of years till I took a hiatus, and when I jumped back in with the Monday Night Wars the nWo had pretty much already run themselves into the ground as a concept while WWF was picking up in quality.

Occupy Japan
Feb 4, 2005

I've spent so much time clopping to fillies that my joints have locked up!

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I believe he was back on the roids preparing for an in-ring return and his heart exploded. If you look at him when he was doing color for ECW in 1997 he doesn't look as ripped as he was in the 80s. I'm sure someone else can provide more details.

Follow up question to anyone who knows: Rude was cut as hell but was still really lean and never really had that huge, bloated, gassed up roid monkey look like early 00's HHH or pre-steroid trial Hogan. In fact, I can't think of too many wrestlemen that were built like Rude period. Is there anything that determines which body a roid user is going to end up with other than genetics and/or luck? Please feel free to school me on how :airquote: the juice :airquote: works in general since it's not really a thing I'm too educated on. <---- EZ Setup for some sick Juventud jokes since this is venturing out of WCW territory.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
steroids don't determine your body. test lets you build muscle and strength more easily, and recover faster. rude looked more cut because he was much leaner than most other wrestlers. this is likely due to a stricter diet or use of cutting drugs or both. he also had well developed abs and small obliques, which is part genetics part training choices.

triple h is bigger because he eats more. he isn't cut because he isn't as lean.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

oatgan posted:

it's a bit of a clusterfuck but the Lex Luger comeback at the end is really good and the crowd is absolutely losing their mind

Round setup aside, if they just called the drat thing a 3 Team 4 Man* Tornado Royale, it doesn't sound that bad.

*-one team has 3 members

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

MassRafTer posted:

Great American Bash 89. Perhaps the best PPV of all time.

Starrcade 85 is a serious favorite of mine. 84 was quite good too.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

coconono posted:

Starrcade 85 is a serious favorite of mine. 84 was quite good too.

Starrcade 85 has one of the best I quit and cage matches of all time. The ending in just brutal. That match is seriously one of my favorite matches of all time.

bartok
May 10, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

Starrcade 85 has one of the best I quit and cage matches of all time. The ending in just brutal. That match is seriously one of my favorite matches of all time.

Is that the Magnum TA/Tully Blanchard match?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

bartok posted:

Is that the Magnum TA/Tully Blanchard match?

Yep

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Occupy Japan posted:

Follow up question to anyone who knows: Rude was cut as hell but was still really lean and never really had that huge, bloated, gassed up roid monkey look like early 00's HHH or pre-steroid trial Hogan. In fact, I can't think of too many wrestlemen that were built like Rude period. Is there anything that determines which body a roid user is going to end up with other than genetics and/or luck? Please feel free to school me on how :airquote: the juice :airquote: works in general since it's not really a thing I'm too educated on. <---- EZ Setup for some sick Juventud jokes since this is venturing out of WCW territory.

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/216599-full-list-of-wwe-superstars-involved-in-pharmacy-probe

Guys not know for physique, like Edge, Regal, Funaki, Chavo, were (at least at one point) using roids or HGH or whatever. The drugs aren't going to change your body dramatically, they'll just make it easier to meet and possibly exceed your natural potential.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Occupy Japan posted:

I always assumed it was easier to take bumps if you had some cushioning around your belly/ back/ butt/ hips. I mean, Mick Foley is a nutjob for taking some of the bumps he did, but its also gotta be easier for him to do some stupid sunset flip to the outside, land on his huge gut that wraps around to his back, then a guy like Rude, who had a couple of ribs visible, to land flat on his back. Its probably better to have more surface area so you can land more comfortably, so guys don't care if their waistlines get huge.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I forget what thread it was in where someone said that was exactly why Mick was so successful. His back is wide and flat so he could cushion himself on bumps really easily.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
The technical term is "satchel rear end."

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Why did Muta get put into a Juggalo stable with Vampiro?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Face paint, talent

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Hey everyone, I am going to run a different Survivor II tournament than I originally announced. Instead of workrate we're going to vote on THE STUPIDEST poo poo WCW EVER DID. I'd like 25 entries but we may go higher. Ideally these things should be a single event, aka Hiring Vince Russo, not THE WHOLE NEW BLOOD ANGLE or The Starrcade 97 Main Event not THE NWO NEVER LOSING! You can consider the build to something as part of that (like how Sting vs Hogan was built for a year, or how the dumb build to Warrior/Hogan made the match dumber.)

My list:

Letting Ric Flair go to the WWF
Firing Steve Austin
Letting Brian Pillman work them into a release
The Giant vs Hulk Hogan monster truck match
The Uncensored 96 DOOMSDAY CAGE MATCH
Roddy Piper vs Hulk Hogan at Starrcade is secretly non-title
nWo Souled Out
Sting doesn't go over Hogan cleanly at Starrcade 97
Goldberg vs Hogan given away on free TV
Leno/DDP vs Hogan/Bischoff
Hogan vs Warrior
Bischoff plans for Halloween Havoc to run long, chain of command forgets to inform cable companies
Goldberg loses to Nash via cattleprod at Starrcade 98
1/4/99 Nitro (Butts in seats, Goldberg goes to jail, Fingerpoke)
The Hummer
Starrcade 99 is another Montreal Screwjob
Bringing Vince Russo back
David Arquette: World Champion
The Russo/Hogan worked shoot that caused a lawsuit
Vince Russo: World Champion

I'm sure there's a ton of other nominations out there and poo poo I wanted to list but forgot, so please give me some suggestions!

Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?
Would granting the Radicals their release count? Or is that more bad luck than stupidity.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I feel like you should name this the Vince Russo Memorial Tournament and disallow his hiring, because otherwise it's the obvious choice and wins in a landslide. Plus, talking about the individual things he did is way better than "Russo got hired."

I'll suggest... the King of the Road match from Uncensored 1995 and the Sting/Vampiro Human Torch match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cozz posted:

Would granting the Radicals their release count? Or is that more bad luck than stupidity.

Yes, definitely. I wanted to add that and forgot. I knew there were more idiotic releases. Hiring Lanny Poffo might count too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I nominate that time two guys had a match in the back of a moving truck.

Or that time Terry Funk nearly got killed by a horse.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I'd say it's a tossup between giving Hogan creative control and giving Nash the books.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Junkyard Invitational.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

THAT'S THE WALL! - Eagle Eye Hogan

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Endorph posted:

I nominate that time two guys had a match in the back of a moving truck.

Or that time Terry Funk nearly got killed by a horse.

Terry Funk would not take that horses poo poo and it made that match incredible.
Here are some more nominees.
Robocop
Chucky
Lost in Cleveland
Getting rid of ray's mask
Gorilla's tribute
Taquilia bottle victory aka pissing off japan
Mike awesomes bump at the same arena Owen died in
Mark madden
Jimmy hart vs local dj
Dark side hogan
Hogan v zodiac at starrcade
Hogan's helmet

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Literally every moment involving Tank Abbott.

Boardroom Jimmy
Aug 20, 2006

Ahhh ballet
How about that time Rick Steiner got attacked by a man in a bee costume who unmasked next week to reveal that he was... Rick Steiner.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...
Madusa throwing away the WWF Women's Belt?

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Macho Man's reviving elbow was either the greatest thing ever or the stupidest thing ever. It really played towards smarks and the overall subtext of wrestling, but I think it probably went over most people's heads.

For those of you that don't know what this is, at some WCW ppv the Hulkster was laid out by a group of heels (I think the Dungeon of Doom). Savage ran in and hit the flying elbow on Hulk. This triggered Hogans ability to hulk up, and he ran off the heels.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

Madusa throwing away the WWF Women's Belt?

I disagree, I find that pretty awesome.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

nWo Nightcap! Or does that count for the Leno match?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

NWO Nitro.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Wasting a huge amount of money licensing the KISS Demon and then jobbing him out due to Eric Bischoff losing his position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Spending half of a live television show tearing down the set and building a new one
"Looks like something a bird left on the hood of my car"