Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

You are a nerd posted:

I haven't really been following this thread this season, can someone explain what this stupid ABC thing in the thread titles is?

I don't understand the question.

You are a nerd posted:

I haven't really been following this thread this season, can someone explain what this stupidgreat ABC thing in the thread titles is?

Excellent question! The second episode of the season (which was the first night the show was back) has "ABC: Always Be Caging" written on one of the chalkboards in the Nick Cage class. It became the thread title. The next episode, as I recall, was the rear end Crack Bandit, so the title became "ACB: rear end Crack Bandit." More ABC variants have been shoved in since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Abed is so god damned insufferable.

The rest of the episode I rather liked, especially since it gave Britta some credence and respect.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I was hoping Buzz would actually teach Abed a lesson instead of Abed solving personal relationship issues with the Power of Autism™ but I'm really glad that Chang got funny material, Britta is no longer pants on head retarded, and John Oliver is back. So it's mostly like Season 1, which I can dig.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Yeesh, last two eps haven't been great. I hope they swing this back around.

Some funny Duncan content at least. Although JOliver seems to be playing it extra Britishly lately.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I like the Britta/Duncan and Chang plots, Jeff was dead weight and ugh that Abed plot.

That tag was just killer though.

Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Its public now, So I can share this with you,
In Case you guys didn’t know, There is going to be an Animated Episode of Community, In the G.I. Joe style. Get pumped, Also I am working on it. Current busy drawing so many freaking tanks and guns. This Lovely character design was made by our concept artist Julia Vickerman.

It got a mention on the Jimmy Kimmel Show,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEY-iJWMLcQ

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

That's going to be completely inaccessible!

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
That's clay-mation, pixel-art, hand-drawn. Hope we get a computer-generated episode toon.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

I'm kinda shocked people didn't like the Buzz/Abed plot. I thought it was by far the funniest segment and some of the smartest dialog Community has had since season 2. Abed's rant about how lifeless his comic strips were, especially. I don't think you're supposed to take away from this that Abed was right or magical, so in the words of his hacky duck, what the hell, thread.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Because none of it was funny and I like sitcoms that are funny and have jokes.

Scissorfighter
Oct 7, 2007

With all rocks and papers vanquished, they turn on eachother...

1st AD posted:

Because none of it was funny and I like sitcoms that are funny and have jokes.

I find everything Buzz does and says hilarious. He's got that extreme dramatic juxtaposition thing going for him. His blunt explanation for how he'd survive the apocalypse was the best joke of the episode.

Edit: Alan Sepinwall compares the episode to Mixology and that pretty much nails what I was thinking when I said smarted writing since season 2. I thought this episode was on fire and maybe even the peak of an already great season (and this is coming from someone who's pretty middling on 3 and thinks it was too childish and Abed-heavy.)

Scissorfighter fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Feb 28, 2014

Sulphuric Sundae
Feb 10, 2006

You can't go in there.
Your father is dead.
Maybe I've been reading the political comics thread in D&D too much but the two duck comics they showed almost had me in tears. Really good episode, and the funniest Chang plot since season 1.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Scissorfighter posted:

I don't think you're supposed to take away from this that Abed was right or magical, so in the words of his hacky duck, what the hell, thread.
Yeah, the outcome was Abed connecting with a guy who can help him grow as an artist by telling That Crazy Autistic Genius that everything he does creatively isn't great and magical. This thread is weird.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
This thread has difficulty with the more subtle episodes. This is not the first time a 'not funny' episode has created split opinions in which half the the thread is wrong.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Sulphuric Sundae posted:

Maybe I've been reading the political comics thread in D&D too much but the two duck comics they showed almost had me in tears. Really good episode, and the funniest Chang plot since season 1.

I know, right? Those comics were perfect.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I think that some of the reactions should be tempered with the reality that it was off the air for a month, so people really wanted a big laugher of an episode to come back with.

What they got was a very good episode of Community, but one of the ones you cherish later on a DVD set, not one you show to your friends to introduce them to the show.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Typical posted:

Its public now, So I can share this with you,
In Case you guys didn’t know, There is going to be an Animated Episode of Community, In the G.I. Joe style. Get pumped, Also I am working on it. Current busy drawing so many freaking tanks and guns. This Lovely character design was made by our concept artist Julia Vickerman.

It got a mention on the Jimmy Kimmel Show,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEY-iJWMLcQ

REPORTED FOR SPOILERS, gently caress YOU

(Seriously, this is awesome and I hope you get to see your name in the credits :3:)

radlum
May 13, 2013
The only part of the episode I didn't like was Abed's rant, it felt very much as a mouthpice for Dan Harmon or the writers, has Abed ever done a rant like that before? It felt slightly off.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

The closest I can remember is him (I think in Paradigms) leaving the table, then coming back and berating Shirley for calling Brett Ratner the next Spielberg. "You're a bad person."

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Abed's superautism makes him able to really hurt someone if he gets mad enough, I feel like at least part of that was lashing out because Troy isn't around any more. What I didn't like was him and Hickey making up for no other reason than to restore the status quo.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think I adored that episode, guys. Agreed that it felt like Mixology with the tone, but the whole season has felt a little more that way inclined so far. The Jeff/Duncan/Britta storyline was a little light but worked as a way to change the dynamic of the former two, and I wasn't sure about the Chang plot at all but the ending joke made it more than worth it.

That Abed plot, though? That's the stuff I tune in for. Between Buzz's hilariously lovely comics and the brutal, clever, excellently-written argument it was maybe my favourite storyline in the season so far outside of the polygraph episode. I'm so glad they're giving Banks some great material.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I just finished a full run-through of seasons 1-4 on Netflix before this episode aired and, for me, I think it really highlighted what had gone wrong with Community and what they seem to be doing right this season.

The first two seasons were amazing, but when you watch the whole show back-to-back without week or summer long breaks you can really see the show start to deteriorate in seasons 3-4. Like...I still loved Community, but it got so far up its own rear end with the "whimsy" and the self-referencing.

I like that this season seems to be kind of more focused on the characters and their interactions, like the first two seasons, instead of trying to be crazy and high-concept.

Then again, I missed the first couple of episodes of the season, so I might be misreading it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

radlum posted:

The only part of the episode I didn't like was Abed's rant, it felt very much as a mouthpice for Dan Harmon or the writers, has Abed ever done a rant like that before? It felt slightly off.

It felt slightly off because it was a) a clumsy defense of this season's tone and b) not funny. Abed has always been something of a mouthpiece for Dan and the writers, but its usually couched in irony. This time it felt too desperate; too sincere. It reminded me a lot of P&R's speech about cynicism and Hannah and Adam's discussion of Gawker on Girls in how ham-handed it was.

Edit: That said, Abed and Hickey were amazing together. I was down on Banks before the season started, but he's bringing out everybody's A-Game.

Irish Joe fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 28, 2014

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

uh are you sure community is back?

cause i saw john oliver at the study room and part of the intro, but then NBC cut to what i thought was a commercial

but thers the nbc logo and now this nathon fillon looking mother fucker showing some kids around

wtf

The Nathan Fillion guy and the kids all died in a big fire in the 70s

This guy watched a ghost show

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I hate to tell you this, Joe, but there's some evidence that Donald Glover will show up, albeit briefly, in 513, so get that :10bux: ready.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He probably should have worded that toxx better.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Community: Abed's belated comeuppance

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This definitely seems like the most divisive episode yet. It didn't really do much for me, but I enjoyed it well enough and the conclusion to Chang's subplot was amazing.

Jesus Louise
Jan 4, 2007

They're coming to get you, Barbara.
Who was Chang yelling at on the phone? He said a name, but I didn't catch it.

I liked the Abed/Hickey plot. I didn't see it as Abed's magical autism solving everything in the end at all - I saw Abed get held to a consequence, lash out, then recover with as much grace as possible, maybe even learning a lesson in the process. I think it's a good start to showing Abed dealing with the real world now that Troy isn't there to reinforce his escapism anymore.

Which is something Britta might say, now that I think about it. Ugh.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
No, I think that's a great read of that storyline. Abed clearly isn't meant to be in the right and anyone who thinks his outbursts are meant to be anything other than really lovely needs to give these guys more credit.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The best joke in the episode was John Oliver covering for his outburst after Britta said she was vulnerable enough to have done something dumb. 'The stupid steering wheel is on the wrong side of the car!'

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

In case anyone cares about the ratings, both Community and Parks were down to a 1.0.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Jesus Louise posted:

Who was Chang yelling at on the phone? He said a name, but I didn't catch it.

It was his wife/ex-wife I think.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
You guys caught Harmon in the old timey photo, right?

So Danielle Harmon hasn't graduated yet.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bown posted:

No, I think that's a great read of that storyline. Abed clearly isn't meant to be in the right and anyone who thinks his outbursts are meant to be anything other than really lovely needs to give these guys more credit.

Yeah, reading these posts from last night this morning I came away with a completely different understanding of what went down.

To my understanding, everything prior to Abed's outburst was him trying to say what Hickey wanted to hear so that he could get out of there and catch his movie on time. Then Abed gets frustrated and lashes out, but he doesn't say anything meaningful just a bunch of hurtful poo poo (you could say the parts about Hickey's art being uninspired was from Harmon but this is obviously undercut when Abed returns with an equally hacky script). When they started yelling at each other and Abed ended with saying "you made me miss my movie!", Hickey realized that he wasn't going to get through to this kid because all he cared about was himself so he lets Abed go in defeat. Then Abed has an off-screen realization and returns to team up with Hickey because he understands what he did was wrong (even if he doesn't understand the actual emotion behind it). And he feels like his imagination/understanding of fiction tropes and Hickey's police experience and understanding of actual emotion will make them a better writing team.

So yeah, I didn't see this as Abed being magical or getting through to Hickey at all because 1) nothing he said was designed as a revelation to Hickey, it was just being hurtful; and 2) it ends with him saying "you made me miss my movie" which is not something that Hickey should really feel bad about at all.

Also, I thought the episode as a whole was okay but the "Old Timey Photo Club" gag was the funniest single moment of the season.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

1st AD posted:

It was his wife/ex-wife I think.

Yes, he said "Allessandra".

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

CBA : Chang's Bizarre Afterlife

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tuxedo Jack posted:

You guys caught Harmon in the old timey photo, right?

So Danielle Harmon hasn't graduated yet.

According to Tim Saccardo on Twitter, the picture is of the entire writing staff for the season, with the exception of Andy Bobrow.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!
I liked this episode, it was a nice return to form after a couple of weak episodes. Duncan is always great, it had the best Chang story in years and Buzz has much better chemistry with Abed than with Annie. The resolution to the Abed and Buzz story was the weakest part of the episode, but the tag more than made up for it.

But Irish Joe was a 100 % correct about them not giving Shirley anything to do this season. You'd think two members of the study group leaving would change that, but nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

They actually had Shirley comment on her lack of focus. I would guess that means she's got something coming up.

• Locked thread