Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Stux posted:

pretty sure gibson did actually try to start or wanted to start using a volute to help stop this but purists complained it wasn't the original design anymore and welp. again ibanez in particular have a sharp angle (perhaps not to the same extent) but they use nice thick volutes to mitigate it

Gibson purists are the last people you want to listen too about anything. I've noticed Gibson's 24 fret necks have stouter volutes though, it's a bit weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ghost Farts posted:

i got your notesnotesnotesnotes right here buddy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2EGKt8yONI

You mean notenotenotenotenotenote, there's a difference.

I honestly like the clips I've seen of that show, if just because everyone involved just plain loving loves metal, even if they play the meedlymeedlyest stuff.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thanks thread, I've found many new wonderful things because of you.

This guy is loving hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRSzw7Sq_Gk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfPOANlbyWw

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

The second one is some weird experimental instrument and the weird craftsmanship is kinda charming.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Stux posted:

pretty sure gibson did actually try to start or wanted to start using a volute to help stop this but purists complained it wasn't the original design anymore and welp. again ibanez in particular have a sharp angle (perhaps not to the same extent) but they use nice thick volutes to mitigate it

and back when they had non-volute necks they used a scarf joint. pretty sure jackson still does with theirs

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
It looks like one of those single coils ought to be a centronics printer port.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

comes along bort posted:

and back when they had non-volute necks they used a scarf joint. pretty sure jackson still does with theirs

the "metal" brands generally seem to have their poo poo together more than fender and gibson in every way. they even manage to make cheap and mid range guitars that are solid, and the high end ones are generally cheaper.

also content:

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Stux posted:

the "metal" brands generally seem to have their poo poo together more than fender and gibson in every way. they even manage to make cheap and mid range guitars that are solid, and the high end ones are generally cheaper.

also content:

Somebody just LOVED the Dueling Dragons rollercoaster theme.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

strangemusic posted:

Somebody just LOVED the Dueling Dragons rollercoaster theme.

so much so that prs has a whole series of these hideous things

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Stux posted:

My Ibanez Artcore is such a nice guitar that I'm really shocked that I paid so little for it. Good guitars own, cheap guitars own, good, cheap guitars own.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

My Ibanez Artcore is such a nice guitar that I'm really shocked that I paid so little for it. Good guitars own, cheap guitars own, good, cheap guitars own.

yeaaaap basically! i got an ibanez rga121 a few years back for about £500 used and is literally the best playing guitar i have ever played. its a prestige and I've sold it to my guitarist now but it kicks the poo poo out of the multi-thousand pound/dollar gibsons and fenders I've played. if you're going to spend that much money on a guitar just go to a loving luthier

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Stux posted:

yeaaaap basically! i got an ibanez rga121 a few years back for about £500 used and is literally the best playing guitar i have ever played. its a prestige and I've sold it to my guitarist now but it kicks the poo poo out of the multi-thousand pound/dollar gibsons and fenders I've played. if you're going to spend that much money on a guitar just go to a loving luthier

but then it wouldnt be a fender/gibson

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bitchtard posted:

but then it wouldnt be a fender/gibson

get a custom LP style made and get someone to put a gibson logo on the top who cares

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

I want to buy this guitar, grow a mullet and write songs about princesses and evil dark wizards.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Stux posted:

get a custom LP style made and get someone to put a gibson logo on the top who cares

what im saying is people are buying the name

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The guy who made my neck does official Fender™ neck making™£¢™™£™ and gave me price break with the caveat I couldn't put a Fender™ sticker on the headstock. A weird condition but I really didn't/don't care.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Bitchtard posted:

what im saying is people are buying the name

gently caress those people they are as bad as dr fasututs

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

fyodor posted:

The guy who made my neck does official Fender™ neck making™£¢™™£™ and gave me price break with the caveat I couldn't put a Fender™ sticker on the headstock. A weird condition but I really didn't/don't care.
Only people with more money than sense care if their guitar has a Fender/Gibson label on it.

And only idiots buy BC Rich guitars.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

Stux posted:

gently caress those people they are as bad as dr fasututs

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Only people with more money than sense care if their guitar has a Fender/Gibson label on it.
And only idiots buy BC Rich guitars.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
It defies all reason that BC Rich is still in business. Although, those acrylic Warlocks that they released about 10 years ago were pretty loving sick guitars. I worked at Guitar Center at the time, and we got an ice blue one, which was a rare color, it just looked so badass. It also weighed 30 loving pounds, and those guitars apparently have a nasty trend of the acrylic headstock coming unbound from the wooden neck. Still, if I had money to burn I'd probably get one just for the sake of having such a stupid guitar.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

BUSH 2112 posted:

It defies all reason that BC Rich is still in business. Although, those acrylic Warlocks that they released about 10 years ago were pretty loving sick guitars. I worked at Guitar Center at the time, and we got an ice blue one, which was a rare color, it just looked so badass. It also weighed 30 loving pounds, and those guitars apparently have a nasty trend of the acrylic headstock coming unbound from the wooden neck. Still, if I had money to burn I'd probably get one just for the sake of having such a stupid guitar.
Metalheads don't have good taste in guitars.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

BUSH 2112 posted:

their us/mexican made stuff back when bernie rico sr was still around was really high quality. most of them were dumb looking but they were well made

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Now I'm dying for a BC Rich Warlock with that wild black widow headstock. They seem to be pretty cheap.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Stux posted:

if you're going to spend that much money on a guitar just go to a loving luthier
Sometimes you just find a guitar you like.

Harakiri Potter
Oct 18, 2004

REACH HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE BABY

White Dog Eggs posted:

Sup guitar makin' buddy! That makes a lot of sense in all honesty. I know Stewart-McDonald sell special tools to fret acoustics but I imagine that, like most Stew-Mac stuff, it costs twice what it should do. I've only ever made one acoustic and it was a major headache (mostly because I used native UK woods and I honestly had no clue what I was doing), so fair play to you for doing that.

I like SG's because I make money on fixing broken headstocks :q:

the firebrand already has the repair. that's how you know it's a legit gibson, pasta llama bacon, my brotha

Dirt
May 26, 2003

BC Rich makes some ugly guitars, but Mockingbirds are pretty legit.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Stux posted:

look at these loving lovely guitars hahaha

my first emptyquote (IIRC)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Stux posted:

so much so that prs has a whole series of these hideous things

god drat you pay how much for this shiny dragony fucker and if you change string gauge you're hosed because you didn't give them even more for a not poo poo bridge i guess???

also why does dr. beetlejuice/dr. bloody mary have so many six strings, like there's one bass in there, three acoustics; but out of 11 instruments 10 of them are essentially the same thing

somebody asks me why i have so many guitars and i'm like, six string, twelve string, les paul, baritone les paul, beater piece of poo poo, bass, toy guitar, etc; why would you drop that much money on buying the same thing over and over though?

and not get dragons on any of them???

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

Dirt posted:

BC Rich makes some ugly guitars, but Mockingbirds are pretty legit.

Yeah, Mockingbirds are cool. That's probably the most "metal" looking guitar that I'd ever play.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

why would you do that to a violin, dan trueman

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Dewgy posted:

god drat you pay how much for this shiny dragony fucker and if you change string gauge you're hosed because you didn't give them even more for a not poo poo bridge i guess???

also why does dr. beetlejuice/dr. bloody mary have so many six strings, like there's one bass in there, three acoustics; but out of 11 instruments 10 of them are essentially the same thing

somebody asks me why i have so many guitars and i'm like, six string, twelve string, les paul, baritone les paul, beater piece of poo poo, bass, toy guitar, etc; why would you drop that much money on buying the same thing over and over though?

and not get dragons on any of them???

alcohol.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Having soldered/screwed a few guitars together out of parts over the years, I swear, one day I am going to make something at least as retarded as this. I think I have enough parts, except for a spare neck. Or a body, but a guitar body can be anything.
*checks ebay for cheapest neck possible*

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Ferroque posted:

why would you do that to a violin, dan trueman

Sarcasm aside, Hardanger Fiddles are awesome and all look like that because Scandanavians and are only awful in the same way that all folk music is. Here's a man who's not afraid to live up to a stereotype playing one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di1F8GUvEtg

In other news I just played a strat into one of the new Marshall MG's and it sounded fantastic. I might have to buy a strat. Everything I knew is a lie. Technology has clearly moved on a bit in the last five years because for as long as I've played MGs have been the quintessential 'can full of bees' amp for scrub metal kids who couldn't afford a Peavey.

darkwasthenight fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 28, 2014

Dec 26, 2012

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BUSH 2112 posted:

Yeah, Mockingbirds are cool. That's probably the most "metal" looking guitar that I'd ever play.

I own one of the ST mockingbirds. It's fucktarded, laughable, plays well, weighs a ton, changed out te pickups so it sounds great, and was dirt cheap since it's a quirky guitar. It's basically like owning one of those Chinese crested / chihuahua mixes

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

i'm pretty sure he's mentioned not drinking before

though alcohol was definitely involved in a few of my purchases

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I love this guitar.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

BUSH 2112 posted:

I love this guitar.

I actually quite like the shape, but 4 buttons and 4 switches for one pickup? Is that a DIN plug output too?

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

BUSH 2112 posted:

I love this guitar.

Is the finish filled with fine tone-enhancing nail clippings?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gilgameshback posted:

Is the finish filled with fine tone-enhancing nail clippings?

They're actually Mogellons.

• Locked thread