Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ozza
Oct 23, 2008

Here's a good article by John Dower where he discusses the various lingering issues affecting US-Japan-China relations. Interesting to me was his point that the present-day Japanese conservatives are motivated by the same sentiments as Chinese nationalists: a toxic mixture of humiliation and pride.

http://www.japanfocus.org/-John_W_-Dower/4079

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

hadji murad posted:

China's biggest ally in raising awareness of Nanjing and sex slaves is the Japanese right wing.

It definitely seems like they couldn't tee the ball up any better for Xi Jinping to hit it out of the park on his WWII Japan-shaming tour.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/02/20/national/japan-may-make-another-provocative-move-over-wwii-sex-slavery/#.Uw3WA4WzmPd

quote:

In a move sure to further exacerbate the already strained Japan-South Korea relations, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga has said the Abe government will consider re-examining a 20-year-old study that led to a landmark apology over Japan’s wartime system of forced sexual servitude.

I guess I don't know if all of this is part of a political strategy or Abe losing control over his allies. Some of the stuff his staff have been saying about the U.S. seems unplanned, at least, since they took down that video where Seiichi Eto whined about the U.S. criticizing the shrine visit.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
All I know is gently caress 'em, there'll be no bigger advocate of nuking Japan again than me when I leave.

Hantama
Dec 6, 2008

Stringent posted:

All I know is gently caress 'em, there'll be no bigger advocate of nuking Japan again than me when I leave.

You heard it here first: Every drat jap is just like Abe and his ilk, Kill em all boys hurr hurr
(Even if every japanese was a clone of Abe youd still be an rear end in a top hat)

mystes
May 31, 2006

I'm sure what Stringent meant was that they need to build more nuclear power plants.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

mystes posted:

I'm sure what Stringent meant was that they need to build more nuclear power plants.

The situation is under control. :smug:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mystes posted:

Hahaha

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
Well so far the only ones sick from fukushima are like 70 american sailors and a bunch of seals so clearly nuclear plants aren't enough v:shobon:v

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Zo posted:

Well so far the only ones sick from fukushima are like 70 american sailors and a bunch of seals so clearly nuclear plants aren't enough v:shobon:v

Well TEPCO only runs some of the plants.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
How apt; an American made reactor makes American sailors ill.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

ozza posted:

Here's a good article by John Dower where he discusses the various lingering issues affecting US-Japan-China relations. Interesting to me was his point that the present-day Japanese conservatives are motivated by the same sentiments as Chinese nationalists: a toxic mixture of humiliation and pride.

I finally got around to reading this in its entirety and it's pretty great. His logic is extremely clear throughout.

The San Francisco treaties are really just balls all around.

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy

Riso posted:

How apt; an American made reactor makes American sailors ill.

Let's get all these futuristic Japanese robots to fix it.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ozza posted:

+1 this was a very good read.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Hantama posted:

You heard it here first: Every drat jap is just like Abe and his ilk, Kill em all boys hurr hurr
(Even if every japanese was a clone of Abe youd still be an rear end in a top hat)

Japan is a country where people push to be first in line when the signal turns green.

Hantama
Dec 6, 2008

Stringent posted:

Japan is a country where people push to be first in line when the signal turns green.

Iīm not really sure what you are trying to say here, Iīm just allergic to people advocating nuking some country because they donīt like the politics of said country (because at what country would that stop?).
Japanese politics are completely hosed and there are lots of things just wrong at a societal level too, but come the gently caress on, nuking/killing/attacking someone, especially when most people are completely apathic to politics? Iīm sure you didnīt even mean that literally, but if you hate it that much in Japan that you fantasize about nuclear war, maybe you should go back to your shining example of humanity of wherever you come from?
(Again itīs just about the nuke comment, guess Iīm out, I like lurking the thread but donīt have much to say most of the time :downs: )

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Hantama posted:

Iīm not really sure what you are trying to say here, Iīm just allergic to people advocating nuking some country because they donīt like the politics of said country (because at what country would that stop?).
Japanese politics are completely hosed and there are lots of things just wrong at a societal level too, but come the gently caress on, nuking/killing/attacking someone, especially when most people are completely apathic to politics? Iīm sure you didnīt even mean that literally, but if you hate it that much in Japan that you fantasize about nuclear war, maybe you should go back to your shining example of humanity of wherever you come from?
(Again itīs just about the nuke comment, guess Iīm out, I like lurking the thread but donīt have much to say most of the time :downs: )

Japanese people are considered to be successful compared to others so it is okay to talk about wanting to see them be killed or about how they are horrible or whatever. If you were talking about an unsuccessful group you'd get in trouble.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

Stringent posted:

I can't believe you seriously put forth the proposal, in all seriousness, to murder 127 million people in real life! Maybe you haven't considered the logistics of such an undertaking? Where would you get the budget for this? And has anyone considered the issue of tourists? What about non-Japanese who would be affected? Guys, I don't think Stringent has really fully thought out his "nuke Japan" policy plank for his upcoming parliamentary run. No, this whole thing sounds like more of a joke, to be frankly honest.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Can we make a compromise based around nuking just Arashi and SMAP?

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!

Reverend Cheddar posted:

After what happened with the copies of Diary of a Young Girl I'm not in the least bit surprised by that.

(Refer: A skosh alarming. Haven't seen it on major news channels; maybe just not watching the right ones though )

Bit late, but it was on the BBC about a week ago. My ultra-zionist grandmother spoke about it last time she rang and now she thinks Japan is part of the big Muslim/European/Obama (though I guess that's redundant, since she thinks Obama's a Muslim Brotherhood member) conspiracy against Israel and Judaism. :sigh:

mystes
May 31, 2006

More fun NHK board member news:

Michiko Hasegawa, who previously made the news by praising the ritual suicide of a right-winger, apparently refused to pay the NHK fee and she justified this by saying she disagreed with some of the content (i.e. it wasn't right wing enough). This is hilarious because in addition to being illegal and funny coming from an NHK board member, with all the recent NHK board scandals there has been talk about people possibly possibly refusing to pay the fee and it would be had for the government to criticize them when Hasegawa did exactly this.

Naoki Hyakuta went to Iran to complain about the US and push his atomic bomb as warcrime view:

quote:

Hyakuta went on to reference the atomic bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, saying, "At one point I severely criticized what America had done. They expressed displeasure at my words and said that I'm not normal, but I think it's the Americans who aren't normal."
http://japanese.irib.ir/news/cultur...%AD%86%E3%80%8D

quote:

百田氏は続けて、広島と長崎の原爆投下について触れ、「私は、あるときアメリカのやったことを強く非難したが、彼らはこの私の言葉に不快感を示し、私を普通ではないといったが、私は、普通ではないのはアメリカ人のほうだと思う」と述べました。

If Caroline Kennedy was already refusing to give the NHK an interview after all the previous crap, what's she going to do know? Give China's People Daily an interview?

mystes fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 28, 2014

Samuelthebold
Jul 9, 2007
Astra Superstar
Death before paying NHK fees.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Isn't the BBC having the same problem? I mean, it's gotta be, since TV as a device that receives radio waves through the air and throws them directly onto the screen is on its way out in general.

Though I suspect more slowly in Japan than other places, unless they have awakened to streaming internet video and I don't know it.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

I think I was the one foreigner in Japan who didn't mind paying my NHK fee. I really do think they provide a valuable service, especially if you compare their response during the March 11 disaster to private broadcasters. If I were still in Japan, however, I sure as hell wouldn't be paying as long as Momii is in charge.

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Samurai Sanders posted:

Isn't the BBC having the same problem? I mean, it's gotta be, since TV as a device that receives radio waves through the air and throws them directly onto the screen is on its way out in general.

Though I suspect more slowly in Japan than other places, unless they have awakened to streaming internet video and I don't know it.

The BBC are, in terms of viewers, doing fine and are transitioning to streaming all their content online. Radio is still very popular in the UK too. Alas politically things are more iffy. After a BBC journalist pointed out the WMD claims re: Iraq were bullshit the Blair government took a number of steps to strongly discourage impartial journalism (the Hutton inquiry etc). The current Tory government are very close to Murdoch (though that was blunted by the ongoing phone hacking scandal) and have made rumblings about the need to share the license fee with other groups.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

The NHK board member refusing to pay the fee is just :lol:

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's funny you mention that because Hulu just sold off their Japanese operation to NTV.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

NHK actually has a (new I think? I only heard about it in the last month and they're advertising it on tv.) streaming website (https://www.nhk-ondemand.jp) but unlike iplayer you have to subscribe.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I know there IS streaming video in Japan (Nicovideo apparently does quite well streaming anime for a fee) but I doubt TV networks in Japan consider it a threat to traditional TV yet, in the way they do in the US.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I know there IS streaming video in Japan (Nicovideo apparently does quite well streaming anime for a fee) but I doubt TV networks in Japan consider it a threat to traditional TV yet, in the way they do in the US.

I wonder if anyone would pay to stream those godawful Japanese variety shows?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Genpei Turtle posted:

I wonder if anyone would pay to stream those godawful Japanese variety shows?
I dunno but when I was in college, the Japanese exchange students had someone back home sending them videotapes of them, that was my first exposure to (non-anime) Japanese TV. And I concluded that it is awful.

edit: then I found out that Japan has some of the highest TV watching rates in the world, and got kind of confused.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

mystes posted:

NHK actually has a (new I think? I only heard about it in the last month and they're advertising it on tv.) streaming website (https://www.nhk-ondemand.jp) but unlike iplayer you have to subscribe.
That's been there in one form or another since at least the point I was working for them, a little over 10 years now. I wonder what got them to start advertising it?

mystes
May 31, 2006

ookiimarukochan posted:

That's been there in one form or another since at least the point I was working for them, a little over 10 years now. I wonder what got them to start advertising it?
At least I think I heard about it on TV? I guess either way it's not like the streaming radio service where they're showing constant ads for it.

I could see the premium satellite channels offering streaming as well in the future; unlike the US where the cable companies create a lot of the content, Japan might have a lot of room to move to an internet based model.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

mystes posted:

I could see the premium satellite channels offering streaming as well in the future; unlike the US where the cable companies create a lot of the content, Japan might have a lot of room to move to an internet based model.

This would involve Japanese companies being proactive and forward thinking which is a situation that has never happened in the history of the country. The issues currently facing the publishing, animation, and video games industry - for instance - in Japan have been obvious for 10 or 15 years, and no one has even though about trying something to fix them, even though it gets harder the longer they wait.

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me

ookiimarukochan posted:

This would involve Japanese companies being proactive and forward thinking which is a situation that has never happened in the history of the country. The issues currently facing the publishing, animation, and video games industry - for instance - in Japan have been obvious for 10 or 15 years, and no one has even though about trying something to fix them, even though it gets harder the longer they wait.

Could you elaborate on those issues? I'd love to hear more about what's happened to those industries.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, for animation and games, their market is shrinking because they are focusing too much on the narrow otaku market and raising their prices to compensate, and thus lots of people are going on to other things, which cause them to focus on an even narrower otaku market and raise their prices even more to compensate, causing more people to go on to other things, and so on. The apparent endgame is that there will be only one ultra-otaku in Japan who is the only one buying any games or anime, and they will all cost $10,000 each.

edit: browser and smartphone-based games excluded, I mean.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 1, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Well, noone else in Japan is spending much money though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

There are a few people lamenting the death of Japanese music culture since the top 10 songs are all AKB48 or idol pop groups and the only reason they are top ten is because otakus buy their CD's by the dozens, hundreds, and even thousands, for all the handshake coupons or similar things.

For what its worth, the strategy of pandering to the otaku market has worked incredibly well for the last few years, but as pointed out, it's not sustainable in any capacity.

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy

ookiimarukochan posted:

I am sure I've commented on it before but it's basically a situation of propping up dozens of industries to not let thousands of people go bust, despite everything staring them in the face. A VP for a huge publishing company asked me six years ago what he could do about illegal downloads. I told him the reasons why it happens and what he could do about it, which is to do as the customer does--just undercut the need to download by making it available for download immediately, maybe with a subscription that works like a podcast (some companies actually have started this but only very recently)--and he sighed and told me it was impossible because he has to pay lip service to the printers, who in turn pay lip service to papermakers, ink makers, etc etc...

So it's not just about profit, it's also this pressure to keep up a struggling infrastructure.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Why is that?

Reverend Cheddar
Nov 6, 2005

wriggle cat is happy
Cost of loving has waaaay outpaced salaries. And that's assuming one is a salaried worker at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Reverend Cheddar posted:

Cost of loving has waaaay outpaced salaries. And that's assuming one is a salaried worker at all.

They should just make like Americans and just take on crippling credit card debt.