Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Just wanna give a thanks and good night to all the gentlegoons who taught me aiming/shooting because I had my first ace last night. It was pistol round but gently caress it I was on T 1v4

E: there was still lots of missing just to be clear

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Oh man. I couldn't stop laughing for that whole match. Every time you got a kill , I'd check the chat and you'd be calling yourself a scrub.

I'm out for a week due to computer trouble. But I ordered a computer case who's color is described as 'slime' so maybe that will help me click heads.

I left the bind on for the rest of the day and confused many, many casual players

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

ShineDog posted:

Can you still Ghetto scope? I remember in 1.6 (Or possibly earlier) you could set up a keybind that dropped sensitivity and hosed around with the FOV to create kind of scopes.

I love the idea of this and I want to do it

Eyke
Oct 15, 2013

Man with a dream to have fun.

Theresa Frontpage posted:

I love the idea of this and I want to do it

it would help with my old man eyes

EmperorCthulhu
Sep 12, 2011
Any tips for getting out of silver? Consistently top 2 on the team and always losing. Played with a guy yesterday that started 0-11 and the 2-13 guy above him was making fun of him. Is the only way to advance to find a team? Please tell me gold gets so much better...

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

Can you even change the FOV with a keybind? I thought that would require changing your resolution, which can't be done quickly enough to make it practical for scoping.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
You can't change FOV in CS:GO

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

EmperorCthulhu posted:

Is the only way to advance to find a team? Please tell me gold gets so much better...

1. Yes.
2. Not really.
3. Play goonmans!

Geschwafel
May 10, 2006

Frank sent me.

EmperorCthulhu posted:

Please tell me gold gets so much better...

In terms of players, nova seems to encompass a large variety. I've played with 1-stars who go 24-11 and 3-stars who are terrible. But they're still CSGO players and will poo poo on each other at any given opportunity. I think the general consensus is to never soloqueue, get at least one other person you know you can count on not to be completely horrible and drag you down. Get in the group chat and see who wants to play, silver goons have been really active lately.

e: Also yes, play goonmans, you'll improve rapidly under expert supervision*.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

This just in: Beverly Hills 90210, Cleveland Browns 3.

EmperorCthulhu posted:

Any tips for getting out of silver? Consistently top 2 on the team and always losing. Played with a guy yesterday that started 0-11 and the 2-13 guy above him was making fun of him. Is the only way to advance to find a team? Please tell me gold gets so much better...
The only tip anyone *anyone* ever really needs for CS is to make the smartest possible choice in all possible situations, it's that simple. Work on your aim in deathmatch a lot, but once you're in a match, make the smart choice every time. Buy at the right times, push when you need to push, play passive when you need to play passive. The more smart decisions you make, the better your play will be, the better chance your team will have of winning.

Do you need a team to advance in MM? No. Does it HELP? Yes, absolutely.

Gold nova players aren't much better, they have a general grasp of the concepts of CS, but still don't know how to put them into practice. But, even solo queuing, I do believe Valves Elo system does a good job of figuring out where you're "supposed" to be and getting you there. All you can do in solo queue is play as best you can with the information you have, and eventually you'll be where you need to be.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
edit: ^ To clarify on Cole's point about teams, this really only works if you have players in your rank range that want to play for keeps.

EmperorCthulhu posted:

The best tip as a Silver player is to experiment with your aim a little more. Primarily practice keeping your crosshair near head level and practice tap-firing with plenty of guns like rifles and pistols. That'll give you a more accurate edge over your peers. I started out in Silver and this was probably the biggest difference I made while working my way up.

The rest is really game sense which you'll learn through playing! Nova ranks are a little better. They increase more sharply than silver does in player skill, over four ranks, then you hit the Master Guardian range. Just focus on your own gameplay fundamentals and you'll feel like a pro slapping people's faces with bullets in no time! :)

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Xenaero posted:

Primarily practice keeping your crosshair near head level and practice tap-firing with plenty of guns like rifles and pistols.
This is definitely good advice. I was in a Goonman last week or so, and I got surprised when trying to find a guy saving, we both kind of panicked and spammed our pistol, but about midway through my clip, I slowed myself down and focused on hitting him, despite the fact that he got the drop on me, I was able to get the kill. Someone messaged me afterwards and said something to the effect of "slow and steady wins the race!"

You can't underestimate how powerful an ACCURATE pistol can be.

Thorgot
Apr 4, 2010

quote:

Fixed some grenades allowing visibility through them when they shouldn't and vice versa - this fixes bugs like seeing players through smoke volumes.

!!!

arnbiguous
Feb 2, 2014
Gary’s Answer

Did they fix HE grenades flashing smoke to transparent yet

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

EmperorCthulhu posted:

Be better. I hate when people blame their teammates, literally ever other person you play against has the same pool of teammates you do.

When I first started and was 2 stars the thing that made me most mad was that people didn't have mics at that level. Gold Nova is a weird rank, most the guys are decent cs players and occasionally you'll get people who seem to have no idea what they're doing and some people that should probably have a badge.

Coleman
May 5, 2011

Theresa Frontpage posted:

Did they fix HE grenades flashing smoke to transparent yet
That's probably what the fix does, but probably NOT fixing the radar smoke bug.

Burgo
Jun 1, 2008

GAMEPLAY
Fixed the molotov not having the same collision bounds as the rest of the grenades.
Fixed some grenades allowing visibility through them when they shouldn't and vice versa - this fixes bugs like seeing players through smoke volumes.
Increased radarvispow from 0.2 to 0.4.
Fixed icons on the radar not fading out properly when they should have.

MISC
Fixed frequent connection errors when starting private casual matches with friends on a local server.
With sv_grenade_trajectory on, the debug overlay boxes now reflect the size of the grenades bounds when they collide and bounce.
Added an option to the options menu to use raw number keys or weapon binds for selecting players when spectating and voting for maps at round end (spec_usenumberkeys_nobinds, defaults to 1).
NETWORK

GOTV watch requests for matches with significant number of twitch.tv spectators will always get directed to GOTV relays.
Added convar host_name_store to indicate whether host name is revealed in queries and GOTV. Host name is always printed in status command output.
Added convar host_info_show, operators can set it to the following values: 0 to block server info queries; 1 (default) to respond with all details excluding identities; 2 to respond with all available details.
Added convar host_players_show, operators can set it to the following values: 0 to block server players queries; 1 (default) to respond only with max players and uptime; 2 to respond with all players details.
Server operators can now list game rules cvars in gamerulescvars.txt file, those cvars when marked as FCVAR_NOTIFY will be included in A2S_RULES response packet to server management software and 3rd party clients. The total size of A2S_RULES response packet must be within approximately 1Kb (MTU). File gamerulescvars.txt.example is provided.
When a server is running with the -nomaster parameter, it will not register on GMS and will not respond to direct queries.

MAPS
CS_Downtown: Fixed bug where players could spawn outside of map in Deathmatch
DE_Favela: Fixed exploits where players could get out of map, various other polish
DE_Inferno: Fixed exploit where players could see through roof near Bombsite A balcony

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
I'm finding AK ranks to be easier than Novas since players are a bit less random. Took me a really long time deranking from Gold4 back to Gold3 over and over, but right now I'm doing consistently decent at Double AK in the same week I got out of Nova.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
Yeah, that's one of those funny things you find in lower ranks that kind of surprise you.

In higher ranks, you wouldn't expect much people to rush through a smoke, much less to rush through a molotov but hey, in lower ranks you're drat wrong if you don't expect someone to come rushing through fire with a p90.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Babyface Mingo posted:

Yeah, that's one of those funny things you find in lower ranks that kind of surprise you.

In higher ranks, you wouldn't expect much people to rush through a smoke, much less to rush through a molotov but hey, in lower ranks you're drat wrong if you don't expect someone to come rushing through fire with a p90.

Save rounds can sometimes go ridiculous because of the eco team doing something absurd like that. See: the DustII video posted earlier by xp where we rushed long a with pistols and cleaned house :v:

Doing something completely batshit off the wall insane is sometimes the smartest option :black101:

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

Bashez posted:

Gold Nova is a weird rank, most the guys are decent cs players and occasionally you'll get people who seem to have no idea what they're doing and some people that should probably have a badge.

I find this is the case at most ranks, all the way up to eagle or so. There's HUGE skill variance within ranks, which makes me think that some people just get "stuck" at levels they don't really belong. The best Gold Novas and 1AKs, like you said, are in some cases objectively better than the low-end badges I've seen. I think part of the reason for this is the variation in the way people play the game. Since at its core this is a team game, and you can't control who you're placed with if you're MMing without a team, probably the only real way to make sure you gain ranks is to be that guy who is capable of carrying a team by yourself AND make sure to put yourself in positions where you'll be able to do so (playing the high-traffic positions on CT; being the one who is going and getting the picks on T). Otherwise, you're at the mercy of who you get matched up with and it's going to be very difficult to gain in rank.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Also take advantage of the replay system that Valve added to matchmaking recently. If you review a match or two every week with x-ray turned on it will do a ton to help out your game sense.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I would rather die instantly playing as the only Silver among double AKs than a solo queue for a silver MM. gently caress. That.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Cute n Popular posted:

I'm finding AK ranks to be easier than Novas since players are a bit less random. Took me a really long time deranking from Gold4 back to Gold3 over and over, but right now I'm doing consistently decent at Double AK in the same week I got out of Nova.

I did matchmaking with a few silver 4 buddies as a master guardian 2 and I did terrible for this exact reason.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
Haha, I'm probably going to be stuck in the Nova ranks forever. I think I get a better KDR when MMing with double AK/badge goons than with the silver/nova goons. It's just so unpredictable. Have I just goonmanned too much? Until this week, I've barely MMed with anyone below double AK rank.

However, I found that P90 rushing everywhere and being generally over-aggressive in nova matches generally works out for the best. Why do I get rewarded for playing badly but punished for playing 'properly'?

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

real dilemma posted:

I find this is the case at most ranks, all the way up to eagle or so. There's HUGE skill variance within ranks, which makes me think that some people just get "stuck" at levels they don't really belong. The best Gold Novas and 1AKs, like you said, are in some cases objectively better than the low-end badges I've seen. I think part of the reason for this is the variation in the way people play the game. Since at its core this is a team game, and you can't control who you're placed with if you're MMing without a team, probably the only real way to make sure you gain ranks is to be that guy who is capable of carrying a team by yourself AND make sure to put yourself in positions where you'll be able to do so (playing the high-traffic positions on CT; being the one who is going and getting the picks on T). Otherwise, you're at the mercy of who you get matched up with and it's going to be very difficult to gain in rank.

Yeah at my highest I was a badge(I think I was there for like 3 games). I got that mostly by playing with glock ness though. Then I'll play with another friend and we'll win a match and then while waiting for the next match I hear a bunch of bong rips and then two losses. I've done a lot of bouncing around playing with friends. I find my rank varies a lot with how many drugs my friends have taken recently.

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

Haha, I'm probably going to be stuck in the Nova ranks forever. I think I get a better KDR when MMing with double AK/badge goons than with the silver/nova goons. It's just so unpredictable. Have I just goonmanned too much? Until this week, I've barely MMed with anyone below double AK rank.

However, I found that P90 rushing everywhere and being generally over-aggressive in nova matches generally works out for the best. Why do I get rewarded for playing badly but punished for playing 'properly'?

I get my poo poo pushed in by p90 rushes. I tend to get run over a lot in lower ranked matches and hold my own better in higher ranked matches.

Edit:changed M to B

Bashez fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 28, 2014

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Bashez posted:

I get my poo poo pushed in my p90 rushes. I tend to get run over a lot in lower ranked matches and hold my own better in higher ranked matches.

I'm pro with the P90 but choose not to use it because it's a bad habit. Though I'm probably going to start using it again in MM because I'm getting bored of buying shotguns every round.

Ledif
Sep 5, 2012
What rank do teams stop having one player who always buys a P90 every round no matter what and then runs at the enemy? I would like to get to that rank.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
Never.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
P90 is still very dangerous to go up against even if you're good at popping heads at a moving opponent. Doesn't seem like they intend to drop its power, but for 2350 (?) it's a strong buy for a rush. Far more so than the XM, for now.

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

this was p cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuNWETjly4M

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I never would have thought someone would ever make a CS frag video using a Sigur Rós track. Haha.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
This is a better 1.6 clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSuBWzqudKo

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Time to learn how to noscope with the SSG 08 and use it like a shotgun

:clint: :madmax:

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

Ledif posted:

What rank do teams stop having one player who always buys a P90 every round no matter what and then runs at the enemy? I would like to get to that rank.

That depends on whether or not you are playing with a knight

RedQueen
Apr 21, 2007

It takes all the running you can do just to stay in the same place.
They added another sticker capsule tonight too

http://csgostash.com/stickers.php?capsule=Sticker Capsule 2

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Hahah, Let's Roll-oll.

Oh that's pretty slick.

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Is this a reference to anything or just a badass metal demon skull?

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I like your website a lot. :)

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Ernie. posted:

I like your website a lot. :)

"Death by Kitty P90 - Covert SMG"

Not sure if I agree with this tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcer
May 28, 2004

Today is good weather
for an airstrike.

These are pretty rubbish. Except roll-oll, that one's funny

• Locked thread