Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

DupaDupa posted:

I don't know what to tell you if you aren't hoping to see poo poo like this every Sunday next year:

Especially if its twice a year against the Steelers.

I still stand by my opinion that that was actually a bad play by Manziel. I don't see his pocket collapsing at all, in fact both DTs were getting planted or falling down when he jumped into them. I just think that jump into the pile was completely unnecessary and stuff like that results in a sack more often than not.

I mean look at it. The UT gets planted and his LG falls over so he sees a running lane but theres a spy right in front of him. That's why he jumped, he wanted to tuck it and run when his pocket didn't collapse. He could have made that throw to the sideline really easily without doing that. Props for the heads up but not a good decision.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Glad that people are starting to realize that Manziel is by far the best QB in this draft, as I have been saying for months

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
If you want an impressive play from the Chicken Bowl that will translate look at his last rainbow pass to Walker, its perfectly placed like 40 yards downfield.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Parmesan Basil posted:

Fall, Football, fall. Fall to the Chiefs.
This would own so, so much.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Vengarr posted:

For real though please tell me who the Eagles will draft so I can watch some college film in order to appear knowledgeable, and then be really confused when they pick someone different

It's a ritual as old as time itself

The fallout from the Reid regime has me conditioned to expect the Eagles to pick some random lineman I've never heard of.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Ozu posted:

Man Intruder really hates JFF. He's poo poo on him basically every single post in this thread.

Well I don't hate him as a PERSON...

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
Manziel ceiling is Russell Wilson, and that's not a knock on him. He's wayyy more out of control than Wilson is in the pocket though, who is incredibly, annoyingly efficient with his movement, which could be disastrous for him in the NFL.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

He's Russell Wilson physically but without all the mental advantages that actually make him good

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Doltos posted:

I still stand by my opinion that that was actually a bad play by Manziel. I don't see his pocket collapsing at all, in fact both DTs were getting planted or falling down when he jumped into them. I just think that jump into the pile was completely unnecessary and stuff like that results in a sack more often than not.

I mean look at it. The UT gets planted and his LG falls over so he sees a running lane but theres a spy right in front of him. That's why he jumped, he wanted to tuck it and run when his pocket didn't collapse. He could have made that throw to the sideline really easily without doing that. Props for the heads up but not a good decision.

Also :laffo: at Larry, Curly, and Moe in the middle tripping over each other. Totally a real life defense. Frankly, I'm more concerned about Manziels Schiavo-esque predisposition to finding his way into situations where he will get brain damage than I am impressed by "it." I'm sure the field will be really slow for him when his brain is leaking out his ear after attempting some bullshit that Patrick Willis sniffs out. I agree he has talent, but whether or not he can play at an NFL level is far from the only concern about him.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Doltos posted:

The only funny part of this play to me now is that #51 shoves a dude to the ground standing straight up

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Also :laffo: at Larry, Curly, and Moe in the middle tripping over each other. Totally a real life defense. Frankly, I'm more concerned about Manziels Schiavo-esque predisposition to finding his way into situations where he will get brain damage than I am impressed by "it." I'm sure the field will be really slow for him when his brain is leaking out his ear after attempting some bullshit that Patrick Willis sniffs out. I agree he has talent, but whether or not he can play at an NFL level is far from the only concern about him.

jesus christ its like some of you guys get off on imagining johnny football getting hurt

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Heck I'm gettin a boner right now just reading that

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
e:wrong thread

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I hope Manziel keeps doing the same dumb college poo poo, including picking up drug charges, acting like an arrogant rear end, and scrambling like an idiot, and yet in spite of this somehow puts up 5000 total yards and keeps getting better so TFF gets more and more bitter in its hatred of what it views as unwarranted enthusiasm and Intruder is forced to write an FAQ explaining in excruciating detail why Manziel actually sucks.

What I'm saying is I hope Manziel becomes the Bitcoin of the NFL :v:

Elotana fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Feb 28, 2014

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Congrats on being a Longhorn fan circa 2006

e: Except Vince was actually built like an NFL QB

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
So you're saying Johnny Manziel: Rookie of the year? I'll take that just to see the reaction.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

As long as no one in the AFC South drafts JFF then I won't mind his success, but it's a pretty big longshot IMO and I don't want him anywhere near the Texans

If JFF wins OROTY I will accept any avatar and name change Elotana chooses for me and keep it until the start of the 2015 season :toxx:

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Johnny Manziel is going to be really bad, here's a gif and a youtube to prove so. Thanks.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Grittybeard posted:

So you're saying Johnny Manziel: Rookie of the year? I'll take that just to see the reaction.
Does that mean Kiwanuka failing to sack Manziel leading to a Giants implosion? I'm on board with that

Bear Boy
Nov 24, 2012

Life goes on... The Meow Mix gets stronger with every bowl... these people here really dont understand my life and how stressed I really am
Johnny Manziel is the best QB in the draft, but that's not saying much. Weak QB class.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

but really though, has there ever actually been a "good" quarterback

Bear Boy
Nov 24, 2012

Life goes on... The Meow Mix gets stronger with every bowl... these people here really dont understand my life and how stressed I really am

Alouicious posted:

but really though, has there ever actually been a "good" quarterback

Elaborate

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Bear Boy posted:

Elaborate

ever?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the "good quarterback" is a myth perpetrated by Big Offense, a quarterback has never won a superbowl or saved a man from a burning building, now here's my 14 page thesis on why with the first pick of the draft we need to take a strong safety

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Quarterback who is going to be good is actually going to be really bad.

Bear Boy
Nov 24, 2012

Jokes

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Alouicious posted:

jesus christ its like some of you guys get off on imagining johnny football getting hurt

Wanting someone to get hurt and not thinking someone is worth a top 5 pick because they violate all conventional wisdom about safety in the NFL are two different things, friend. There are two types of runners in the NFL. Huge guys who run between the tackles that are normally around 5'9" 220 and still only have a shelf life of like 3 years, and little guys with wheels that get their rear end to the sideline loving ASAP and step out if nothing is available so they don't die. Manziel isn't fast enough to outrun defenders to the sideline, and isn't big enough to run up the middle without getting hurt often. Yet, he has developed into a guy who doesn't just run between the tackles, but bullshits his way in and out and around while turning his back to everything trying to find lanes or buy time to throw. He will die if he does anything other than bootlegs where he can get rid of the ball before a defense can close on him. This is a league where 6'5 240 freak athletes get knocked the gently caress out routinely trying to make safe runs. Helmet to helmet hits happen all the time. Where men just slightly smaller than Manziel literally get bent in half. What hope does Manziel have? All he's got is agility, which means gently caress all when he spins away from a defensive end and tries to stumble rear end forward for a gain when it's not SEC outside linebackers who are going to come at him, but the cream of the crop of the thousands of men who have dedicated their lives to laying people who carry footballs the gently caress out. Even the most conservative of conservative qb's find themselves in situations where they could've been out of the game for weeks if they had done anything differently. Manziel sneers at these laws and hurdles into his offensive line. If that doesn't change before he gets his first start, they will be scraping him off the field with a spatula. Sorry if this clashes with "But wouldn't it be awesome if he was great" or whatever.

Pictured, Manziel displaying concussion symptoms, ruled out for next week.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

DupaDupa posted:

I don't really get this attitude because no matter whether JFF busts or succeeds the results will be hilarious.

I wasn't making a judgment on the dude either way, but that play isn't really a good example of anything good.

A fun play to watch though.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Volkerball posted:

Wanting someone to get hurt and not thinking someone is worth a top 5 pick because they violate all conventional wisdom about safety in the NFL are two different things, friend. There are two types of runners in the NFL. Huge guys who run between the tackles that are normally around 5'9" 220 and still only have a shelf life of like 3 years, and little guys with wheels that get their rear end to the sideline loving ASAP and step out if nothing is available so they don't die. Manziel isn't fast enough to outrun defenders to the sideline, and isn't big enough to run up the middle without getting hurt often. Yet, he has developed into a guy who doesn't just run between the tackles, but bullshits his way in and out and around while turning his back to everything trying to find lanes or buy time to throw. He will die if he does anything other than bootlegs where he can get rid of the ball before a defense can close on him. This is a league where 6'5 240 freak athletes get knocked the gently caress out routinely trying to make safe runs. Helmet to helmet hits happen all the time. Where men just slightly smaller than Manziel literally get bent in half. What hope does Manziel have? All he's got is agility, which means gently caress all when he spins away from a defensive end and tries to stumble rear end forward for a gain when it's not SEC outside linebackers who are going to come at him, but the cream of the crop of the thousands of men who have dedicated their lives to laying people who carry footballs the gently caress out. Even the most conservative of conservative qb's find themselves in situations where they could've been out of the game for weeks if they had done anything differently. Manziel sneers at these laws and hurdles into his offensive line. If that doesn't change before he gets his first start, they will be scraping him off the field with a spatula. Sorry if this clashes with "But wouldn't it be awesome if he was great" or whatever.

Pictured, Manziel displaying concussion symptoms, ruled out for next week.

You know this all applies to Russel Wilson's scrambling as well, right? I never understood the whole draft thing with trying to predict someone's chance of injury. Unless a player has reinjured the same body part more than twice, it's a total crapshoot to predict whether they'll get injured in the pros. Some injury prone college players have had sterling NFL careers and vice versa. Size/weight doesn't magically make a player superman otherwise Vince Wilfork would've played the entire year.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
It's been covered a multitude of times but wilson is fantastic at avoiding the big hits

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

AAA DOLFAN posted:

It's been covered a multitude of times but wilson is fantastic at avoiding the big hits

Of course, and it's a skill that can be learned. I don't understand why anyone would just assume that someone of a similar size would absolutely be more injury prone based on nothing. Maybe he will, maybe he won't. It's not something that's predictable unless he's had the same injury a bunch in college.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
On that JFF gif I feel like it should be mentioned that Teddy has a little bullshit to his game too, although it doesn't come out anywhere near as often.

Why didn't Bridgewater run the 40 at the combine by the way? Not that I expected him to do all that well, but he did other stuff.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Relentlessboredomm posted:

You know this all applies to Russel Wilson's scrambling as well, right? I never understood the whole draft thing with trying to predict someone's chance of injury. Unless a player has reinjured the same body part more than twice, it's a total crapshoot to predict whether they'll get injured in the pros. Some injury prone college players have had sterling NFL careers and vice versa. Size/weight doesn't magically make a player superman otherwise Vince Wilfork would've played the entire year.

This really does seem to replay as the RGIII debate back in the day. No it doesn't, because Wilson runs north to south like a running back, and he doesn't expose himself except on bootlegs, where he gets rid of the ball quickly and does an outstanding job of identifying where he can force a play without taking a hit. His legs are very much just a complement to his passing game, rather than an outright weapon. Manziel dances around like a ninny, turning his back on defenders and just begging to get blindsided. He tries to make something out of nothing constantly, which I think will translate in the NFL to several times where he should have just thrown the ball away or taken a sack, but instead takes a big collision trying to move forward. Check out this play at 6:00, where he looks like he'd be at serious risk to get hurt on two separate occasions 2 seconds apart when playing not kids. Once where an NFL DE doesn't lose that grip and he would have to get down loving immediately with a lot of bad things that happen if he doesn't, and again when he throws into triple coverage in the face of a blitzer and accepts a 320 pound NFL tackle crushing him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ8xVIgWEBY

And yes, it's actually pretty easy to make judgements like that based on size. A 5'9" 190 WR has a hell of a lot less chance of having a long healthy career than a 6'3 220 one. Just like a 6'0 200 pound scrambling QB has a lot less chance of having a long healthy career than a 6'4 220 scrambling QB, especially since the former is literally unprecedented in the modern NFL. Also, Wilfork is 32 and was injured for just the 3rd time in his career, so he's a bad example. Not to mention that lineman get hurt for completely different reasons than skill position players who can get blown up by a linebacker moving at the speed of sound. You can see trends from players who lack size and don't get injured. That can produce while limiting their exposure. Wes Welker and Marvin Harrison were excellent at this. Austin Collie and Danny Amendola are not. Manziel hasn't shown anything that indicates he can be that type of self-conscious player yet, and as such, he is a risk IMO. He's got a lot more work ahead of him to be a long term quality starter than a guy like Bridgewater.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 28, 2014

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Johnny Manziel is basically a more mobile, less accurate, dumber, shorter, faster Peyton Manning.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
He's got a bigger arm than Manning. :colbert:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Volkerball posted:

He's got a bigger arm than Manning. :colbert:

So do most goons at this point.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

I joked about this earlier but you really have done a 180 on JFF from early last season haven't you? What round would you be comfortable spending a pick on him out of curiosity?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Grittybeard posted:

I joked about this earlier but you really have done a 180 on JFF from early last season haven't you? What round would you be comfortable spending a pick on him out of curiosity?

TFF and I completely switched sides. I was probably being a bit dramatic about how sure I am he'll be taking shots all over because I'm in an argument, but the biggest things I don't like is that he has amazing agility, yet he doesn't have breakaway speed like Vick or RGIII. If he's gonna be putting himself at huge risk on the ground trying Barry Sanders moves without being built like a tree trunk, he better be a homerun hitter. It's become pretty clear that he's not, so I doubt he can break off 40 yard gains consistently like I thought he was capable of before. That makes him basically a glorified pocket passer. I think he's going to have to become a game manager at first, and then gradually work his way into pulling off bullshit play extension. The more I watch of him, the more I'm concerned that it's going to be a difficult transition for him. I'd be cool with the Raiders taking him in the early 2nd because he's got big hands, and solid ball placement, but I'd want them to sign Schaub or Freeman to compete for the starting job with McGloin while Manziel gets the redshirt treatment and puts on some muscle. I'd probably grumble a bit either way about someone we passed on for him though, until there were some tangible results.

defiantgiant
Oct 17, 2004

YOU ARE RIDICULOUS now please stop running backward all the time kthx

Grittybeard posted:

On that JFF gif I feel like it should be mentioned that Teddy has a little bullshit to his game too, although it doesn't come out anywhere near as often.

Why didn't Bridgewater run the 40 at the combine by the way? Not that I expected him to do all that well, but he did other stuff.

Holy poo poo that is an amazing throw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

Roasted Donut posted:

Glad that people are starting to realize that Manziel is by far the best QB in this draft, as I have been saying for months

It's almost like these people don't know that haters give him strength.

• Locked thread