Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Manziel needs to fall to the Cowboys so that TFF can learn how to hate them again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Grittybeard posted:

On that JFF gif I feel like it should be mentioned that Teddy has a little bullshit to his game too, although it doesn't come out anywhere near as often.

Why didn't Bridgewater run the 40 at the combine by the way? Not that I expected him to do all that well, but he did other stuff.

Please come back soon Keg of Nails :smith:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

A lot of you guys hate running QBs

I don't get you guys

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Johnny Football will be drafted somewhere in the second round and then throw 2 INTs his first game, so TFF will say "JFF Sucks". Then he'll throw a beautiful pass or bust off a 60 yard TD run and TFF will love him. For Christsakes Tim Tebow won a playoff game, Manziel will win a few games. Whether or not he is a franchise QB is the real debate

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Right but Tebow literally had god helping him win games

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think the JFF playstyle will be fine in the NFL so long as he doesn't go to some team that wants him to play like Tom Brady or something. It sure worked against Alabama.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Declan MacManus posted:

I don't get you guys

mine doesn't run so I hate ones who do

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm really not sure why so many of you are so sure that Manziel is going to wind up broken and bleeding halfway through his first drive. Of course NFL players are bigger and stronger and faster, but not THAT much bigger/stronger/faster than the guys he's been lining up against for the last 2 years. He does a good job of avoiding big hits and I am sure that his NFL coaches will do their best to rein in his most ridiculous tendencies.

There are some pretty legit concerns about the guy (I would say mine are that his field vision won't translate to the NFL or his mechanics will erode his consistency too much). This fixation him being badly injured is pretty weird though.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

bewbies posted:

I'm really not sure why so many of you are so sure that Manziel is going to wind up broken and bleeding halfway through his first drive. Of course NFL players are bigger and stronger and faster, but not THAT much bigger/stronger/faster than the guys he's been lining up against for the last 2 years. He does a good job of avoiding big hits and I am sure that his NFL coaches will do their best to rein in his most ridiculous tendencies.

There are some pretty legit concerns about the guy (I would say mine are that his field vision won't translate to the NFL or his mechanics will erode his consistency too much). This fixation him being badly injured is pretty weird though.

If they reign in his ridiculous tendencies he may lose that "It" you were talking about earlier.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Declan MacManus posted:

I don't get you guys

this is seriously what I see 99% of the time anyone talks about mobile quarterbacks here, how they're all gonna get murdered the second they leave the pocket because uh, I guess it happened to Colt McCoy (who got James Harrison'd) and Pat White (who got destroyed in a freak hit)?

Did people freak out about Steve Young or such in the 90s?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
People freak out about injuries on running QBs because that's the last narrative they have to cling to.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I don't think people are getting off on describing the various impending calamities of Johnny Football flying too close to the sun. It's just that his running style promotes injuries, and part of the reason he's so good is because of his running style. I disagree with bewbies. The defenses he'll be facing in the NFL ARE much bigger and faster than what he's seeing now. It's a noticeable difference, a big, noticeable difference.

Tenths of a second missed tackles in college won't be there at the NFL level. Him jumping into a pile and spinning out won't be there at the NFL level. If you take away all the things that we love him for that won't translate into the NFL, you still have a pretty good QB. But, it's still ultimately on Manziel and whatever coaching staff he lands on to translate his game.

He will lose that "It" factor when it happens. That's the concern.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
There probably some be some nuance about 'running QBs' as well. I assume Manziel will scramble if a passing play breaks down and maybe run an occasional bootleg or something as well. Conversely, the Shanahans had RG3 running option plays and keepers as a large part of their offense. He had 120 carries in 2012, which is nearly twice the amount Steve Young ever had in a season. Hypothetically if Manziel does that he might be an injury risk, but he really shouldn't be used that way.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Alouicious posted:

Did people freak out about Steve Young or such in the 90s?

To be fair if Steve Young played today there's a decent chance he would have McCoyed himself out of the league before he ever got to San Francisco.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

I think the fact that Manziel never ever ever gives up on plays is what makes him an injury risk (both holding onto the ball too long and/or taking off with the pass rush bearing down on him instead of just throwing it away) rather than designed runs or whatever.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars
Chiefs fans wanting Manziel are nuts. We don't have the offensive talent around him for that to work. The only way we won so many games was due to Alex Smith's lack of turnovers, something I don't see rookie JFF doing a very good job of. That said, I still have no idea who I want for KC. Rookie WRs usually don't do a whole hell of a lot and we really need an impact player with our first rounder. DE also usually takes some growing pains. I just wish we had that 2nd rounder still.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

Grittybeard posted:

On that JFF gif I feel like it should be mentioned that Teddy has a little bullshit to his game too, although it doesn't come out anywhere near as often.

Why didn't Bridgewater run the 40 at the combine by the way? Not that I expected him to do all that well, but he did other stuff.

:qq: but...but..but..he doesn't have an arm!

Teddy is the best QB in this class.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

defiantgiant posted:

Holy poo poo that is an amazing throw.
Yeah but where are the intangibles

e: BTW I can't wait until a year from now when NFL writers say "The 2015 QB class isn't that good" and then a year later when NFL writers say "The 2016 QB class isn't that good" and then a year later when NFL writers say "The 2017 QB class isn't that good" and then

e: e: Green Room news

NFL.com's Gil Brandt reported Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles and Johnny Manziel have been invited to New York City for NFL draft weekend.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 28, 2014

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

excidium posted:

Chiefs fans wanting Manziel are nuts. We don't have the offensive talent around him for that to work. The only way we won so many games was due to Alex Smith's lack of turnovers, something I don't see rookie JFF doing a very good job of. That said, I still have no idea who I want for KC. Rookie WRs usually don't do a whole hell of a lot and we really need an impact player with our first rounder. DE also usually takes some growing pains. I just wish we had that 2nd rounder still.

I, too, wish we hadn't been fleeced nearly as bad as Oakland had when they traded for Carson Palmer.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Quest For Glory II posted:

Yeah but where are the intangibles

e: BTW I can't wait until a year from now when NFL writers say "The 2015 QB class isn't that good" and then a year later when NFL writers say "The 2016 QB class isn't that good" and then a year later when NFL writers say "The 2017 QB class isn't that good" and then

NFL.com's Gil Brandt reported Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles and Johnny Manziel have been invited to New York City for NFL draft weekend.

The NFL QB classes peaked in 2004 and it's all downhill from there

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails

Groucho Marxist posted:

People freak out about injuries on running QBs because that's the last narrative they have to cling to.

I don't worry about him getting hurt running the ball, I worry that he'll be completely ineffective running the ball.

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

Marquis de Pyro posted:

I don't worry about him getting hurt running the ball, I worry that he'll be completely ineffective running the ball.

He's less than a step slower than Kaepernick (4.63). His 10 yard split is 1.59 which is plenty fast enough to be effective running the ball. There's no indication that he can't run the ball well in the NFL.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Groucho Marxist posted:

Um, I mean, it's a valid "narrative", no? RG3's success didn't seem sustainable, Michael Vick's career has been one riddled by injuries, and (even though he's not the runniest of run QBs) EJ Manuel lost a big chunk of his rookie season on injuries sustained from acting too much like a RB.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Grittybeard posted:

Even in his bullshit throw Teddy doesn't just throw up a duck for his receiver to get, he throws it to the sideline where either the receiver will catch it or it will go OOB

Teddy :allears:

God, look at all that and he doesn't even leave the pocket

Quest For Glory II posted:

No McCarron makes me sad

excidium posted:

He's less than a step slower than Kaepernick (4.63). His 10 yard split is 1.59 which is plenty fast enough to be effective running the ball. There's no indication that he can't run the ball well in the NFL.

Kaep is also significantly bigger and stronger

Intruder fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Feb 28, 2014

excidium
Oct 24, 2004

Tambahawk Soars

Intruder posted:

Kaep is also significantly bigger and stronger

What does that have to do with a QB running the ball? We're not talking Cam Newton bouncing off tacklers here, we're talking about effectively running the ball (which doesn't have to mean busting off 60 yard runs). He doesn't have to be big and strong for that since he obviously has the agility to make defenders miss and explosiveness to get away in short areas. Picking up 10 yard chunks on improvisational runs is what we're realistically looking at with JFF, not the raw power of a Newton or break away speed of a RG3.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Because we're also talking about injuries, unless you're divorcing that from the argument you're making. Yes, I'm sure JFF can be an effective runner if he can stay healthy

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Intruder posted:

Even in his bullshit throw Teddy doesn't just throw up a duck for his receiver to get, he throws it to the sideline where either the receiver will catch it or it will go OOB

Teddy :allears:

God, look at all that and he doesn't even leave the pocket

I'm right there with you. Bridgewater is the best. :bandwagon:

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

Vengarr posted:

For real though please tell me who the Eagles will draft so I can watch some college film in order to appear knowledgeable, and then be really confused when they pick someone different

It's a ritual as old as time itself

Hopefully a top safety or cornerback.

I watched Week 2 Chargers/Eagles yesterday when I was refreshing myself on Vick, and JESUS that defense is soooo cringe worthy horrible to start the season off with. It's crazy how much they improved. They were still showing potential with turnovers, but jeeeez. Rivers made it look like child's play out there with how horrible the secondary was. The Eagles D really deserve a lot of credit for how much they turned it around. I'd love to see what they can do with another year and some exceptional talent added to the secondary.

Expecting Brandon Graham to leave in free agency, or probably via a trade. He's a little expensive for a backup and he's actually a pretty incredible 4-3 DE. Just not so much as a 3-4 LB.

89 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 28, 2014

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

At this stage I'm still on the train of Bridgewater or bust for the #1 pick. Everyone knew Clowney was going to be really fast at the combine I don't understand why people are suddenly gushing over him.

Edit: Gushing more than they were even before...I didn't mean that they were down on him before his 40.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Eagles are taking a pass rushing outside linebacker, that'll be the top player available where they're picking.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Comparisons of JFF to RG3 and McCoy aren't all that valid because hopefully not every coach in the league is willing to sacrifice their players health for a W.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Kirios posted:

At this stage I'm still on the train of Bridgewater or bust for the #1 pick. Everyone knew Clowney was going to be really fast at the combine I don't understand why people are suddenly gushing over him.

Edit: Gushing more than they were even before...I didn't mean that they were down on him before his 40.

Eh that's a hard question to answer. Many times I feel like the combine shouldn't crown prospects if we knew how they were going to perform in it ahead of time. Sometimes there's exceptions where you look at a guy doing drills and your mouth hits the floor. That was definitely the case with Donald and Clowney this year.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Doltos posted:

Eh that's a hard question to answer. Many times I feel like the combine shouldn't crown prospects if we knew how they were going to perform in it ahead of time. Sometimes there's exceptions where you look at a guy doing drills and your mouth hits the floor. That was definitely the case with Donald and Clowney this year.

Clowney skipped all the drills tho

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

SlipUp posted:

Comparisons of JFF to RG3 and McCoy aren't all that valid because hopefully not every coach in the league is willing to sacrifice their players health for a W.
Not until Beilema stumbles into the NFL anyway

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Clowney apparently interviewed very well at the combine.

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

Aniki posted:

Clowney apparently interviewed very well at the combine.

I wish I could find out more about how Bridgewater interviewed with teams. In terms of coverage, JFF is soaking it all up right now, so the info seems outdated at best in google news.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Azhais posted:

Clowney skipped all the drills tho

Not the 40!

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

b0ng posted:

I wish I could find out more about how Bridgewater interviewed with teams. In terms of coverage, JFF is soaking it all up right now, so the info seems outdated at best in google news.

quote:

Teddy Bridgewater did not impress during the interview portion of the NFL Combine, which is perhaps one of the most surprising rumors people are hearing around the NFL, given his reputation for extremely smart play and experience in a “pro-style” offense. Comparisons are floating around to Geno Smith (who also struggled in the interviews), which makes sense because a number of insiders are blaming Bridgewater’s agent for poor preparation. Bridgewater chose the highest bidder when it came to his agent, and after an extensive search process that notoriously featured Roc Nation, ended up being Kennard McGuire of MS World LLC. My mistake. As of right now, however, people are still blaming Bridgewater’s agent for his poor showing. Your mileage may vary on that.

http://vikingsterritory.com/2014/freeagency/nfl-rumor-roundup-2014-nfl-combine-free-agency-bridgewater-interview-carr-clowney

Arif Hasan is a decent source of information and I can't remember who, but one of the hosts on NFL Radio on SiriusXM was also talking about Bridgewater interviewing poorly at the combine earlier this week.

Edit: Since I posted the Asan article, I'll include this bit as well:

quote:

It’s rumored that the Houston Texans are not on board the Manziel train, either. Johnny may be on the draft boards of the Minnesota Vikings and the Dallas Cowboys, too. Quarterbacks with high upside are of particular interest to the Minnesota Vikings, even if they are somewhat raw now. This means that Logan Thomas is a possibility if they don’t select in the first, as are Stephen Morris, Connor Shaw and Tom Savage. Mike Zimmer and Norv Turner have a few years of leeway, so grabbing a developmental project is easier for them than for others. Zach Mettenberger is off their board, because of off-field issues that exceed the public problems he had at Georgia and continued with his time at Louisiana State.

Mentioned earlier, but it looks like some NFL teams have the top four quarterbacks ranked 1) Blake Bortles, 2) Teddy Bridgewater, 3) Derek Carr, 4) Johnny Manziel.

It is interesting to hear that the Vikings may have taken Mettenberger off of their board. He had some pretty bad issues that were publicly known and the implication is that he's apparently done worse stuff than what has been publicized. Also, sounds like the Vikings might target a developmental QB later in the draft and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they draft two QBs this year.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 28, 2014

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Aniki posted:

It is interesting to hear that the Vikings may have taken Mettenberger off of their board. He had some pretty bad issues that were publicly known and the implication is that he's apparently done worse stuff than what has been publicized. Also, sounds like the Vikings might target a developmental QB later in the draft and honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if they draft two QBs this year.

Mettenberger never had any public problems at LSU. He had the sexual assault charge at Georgia, which is pretty gross, but that was the only issue he ever had that was made public and it was 4 years ago. This reads like he was in frequent trouble, publicized trouble, which is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles

b0ng posted:

I wish I could find out more about how Bridgewater interviewed with teams.

I don't know where the quote about Bridgewater interviewing badly came from but I heard his meeting with the Jaguars was a laugh riot (Khan, Caldwell and Bradley were all there). And by laugh riot I don't mean hilariously bad, just that everyone was having a good time.

The Raiders GM, owner and coach also walked away with a positive impression of the kid.

I'm thinking it's a smokescreen by some team in the 3rd-8th pick range wanting him to drop. If the draft was today, I'm confident that Bridgewater would be on top of the Raiders' board.

• Locked thread