Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I think picking a worst game is as hard as picking the best game (depends on mood and the day) but as of right now the first game that comes to mind is Rise of the Robots on SNES. The cover art and story should really elevate this game into awesomness, but mannnnn does the awful gameplay make it -1 in my book.

Yeah son Teleroboxer rocks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Quiet Feet posted:

Wh... how can this question even exist? I don't even....

I'm tired. That's my only excuse.

e: That and Fight Night Round 3 had me thinking of licensed professional boxing. But mostly I'm tired.

hexwren fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 28, 2014

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

d0s posted:

EDIT: Holy poo poo how can whoever wrote that list hate on the CDX of all things. Maybe I'm, biased because it's what I use, but how can you not see how much more convenient that thing is compared to a normal Genesis/SCD combo?

You can't play any of those Mortal Kombat 3 romhacks on it is a negative I guess? Then again just buy another Genesis goddamn.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

d0s posted:

What do you mean? Most people I know who are into old games are into them because that's what they played as kids or something and it's a nostalgia thing. Are you saying that angry internet game reviewers actually attract people to it? I thought they were kinda trying to preach to the choir.

Ridiculously anecdotal, but when Play N Trade was near me, I spent a long time browsing what they had, and there were a bunch of kids in there (maybe 10, 11 years old?) all looking at NES games and going "oh yeah AVGN said this one was a piece of poo poo!! AVGN said this game is good but look how bad the box art is!!". This went on for 20 good minutes.

Go look up music videos for your favorite band from the 90s; half the comments will be people posting "man I wish alive when this music first came out".

I don't think kids are bidding on eBay auctions for Earthbound, but that stuff helps a lot. I never understood LPs, but kids seem to love 'em and if that's how they get interested in this cool stuff then that's cool to me!

Tyson Tomko posted:

Yeah son Teleroboxer rocks!

:respek: It really is a great game. Punch Out and Super Punch Out might be slightly better, but Teleroboxer really does feel like a sequel to two two, and the controller is perfect for the game. The sound/music is phenomenal, and the game is ridiculously hard but beatable. And the 3-d does a lot. I really love that game.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

There's this weird undercurrent of bitterness or irony in a lot of retrogame stuff online and I don't get it at all. Why are people even into this stuff if they spend most of their time making GBS threads on it? Jokes are cool but a lot of it is just people trying to sound really tough while talking about incredibly nerdy poo poo and it makes them look ridiculous.

It's a defense mechanism, to keep one's self from getting in too deep. I mean, if one is not careful, one's modest plans of buying a $20 NOAC clone and an SMB3 cart will quickly get sundered. It starts with digging out the multi-AV cable for your SNES, maybe buying a Genesis composite cable. Next thing you know you're buying component transcoders, breaking your back hauling around CRTs that previous owners sanely disposed of.

And then, when the madness really sets in, you're making deals with Ebay sellers for ex-medical PVMs. You're making your credit card do maneuvers that your credit union in Hayseed, Indiana had no idea were even possible or legal, all in order to purchase exotic hardware from overseas. They don't know. They don't want to know. And then you're getting involved in sketchy group buys run by sketchy goons (much love) to buy sketchy retro flashcarts made by a sketchy mutant Ukrainian escapee from the Chernobyl exclusion zone who is a slave to cocaine and organized crime.

These article authors know. They know that down the NES controller cable lies madness. It is only the brave and the foolish (but I repeat myself). Everyone sane stays outside, awed and sickened by the actions of madmen (and the odd woman).

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

FrumpleOrz posted:

It sold poorly, so it MUST be garbage!

ET was buried in the desert so it must be the worst game ever made and is super obscure and hard to find as a result!

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

FrumpleOrz posted:

The setup time on Pac-Man is INSANE.

Each one of those holes is for a marble. Your Pac-Man piece will eat up a marble. It's boring as hell and it sucks.

Oh god, I had this growing up. Totally forgot until I saw this. I used to play with the Pac-Man piece a lot, making it eat marbles and poop them out its head.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

:respek: It really is a great game. Punch Out and Super Punch Out might be slightly better, but Teleroboxer really does feel like a sequel to two two, and the controller is perfect for the game. The sound/music is phenomenal, and the game is ridiculously hard but beatable. And the 3-d does a lot. I really love that game.

Teleroboxer is the #1 reason why I want Nintendo to bring VB games to the 3DS eShop.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Teleroboxer owns. It owns!!

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
*ahem* I believe you all are forgetting this gem

edit: this is actually a good segue to answer the 'worst game in your collection' question, which is Motocross Championship for the 32X:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCXnvJWRYNc

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Worst game in my collection is probably either Karnov, Cool World or some other licensed trash game. Most disappointing is Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2, though. I was megahype for that poo poo.

Best is obviously Gitaroo Man. I don't just mean in my collection, I mean that it's The Best Game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Silhouette posted:

Best is obviously Gitaroo Man. I don't just mean in my collection, I mean that it's The Best Game.

:hfive: You're goddamn right it is. It only has ten levels, because that's all anyone will ever need of Gitaroo Man's majesty. No sequels or spinoffs, just one perfect game.

:negative:

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

Silhouette posted:

Cool World or some other licensed trash game.

You didn't like Cool World? Whatever man

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Scrub Lover posted:

edit: this is actually a good segue to answer the 'worst game in your collection' question, which is Motocross Championship for the 32X:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCXnvJWRYNc

Provided that wasn't done in emulation (and the video quality leads to me believe it wasn't)... I like how at three minutes into the video the in game timer is 1:04 ahead.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
I always chafe at the consensus that the Saturn failed because of bad hardware design and/or lack of 3D power. It's more that there were no "must-haves" or games that will sell an entire console. There was no real Sonic the Hedgehog game released for it. Imagine the Nintendo 64's console life with no Super Mario 64 (or Zelda:OoT, for fairness) and comparatively it looks like even Sega didn't really give a poo poo about the Saturn.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

The Orange Mage posted:

I always chafe at the consensus that the Saturn failed because of bad hardware design and/or lack of 3D power. It's more that there were no "must-haves" or games that will sell an entire console. There was no real Sonic the Hedgehog game released for it. Imagine the Nintendo 64's console life with no Super Mario 64 (or Zelda:OoT, for fairness) and comparatively it looks like even Sega didn't really give a poo poo about the Saturn.

Of course that may also depend on the region. Didn't do that well in the US, but it did well in Japan. And just because one character didn't get a 'proper' game on the system doesn't mean it's worthless.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

ReverendHammer posted:

Of course that may also depend on the region. Didn't do that well in the US, but it did well in Japan. And just because one character didn't get a 'proper' game on the system doesn't mean it's worthless.

True that, when I think "failed system" what comes to mind are systems with no/very few good games no matter what region. I don't know why the Saturn and Dreamcast are really considered failures, they have incredible libraries. I understand that most people use the metric of sales vs. whatever consoles it competed with, but I personally think that's a bad way to think about it, and attaching the term "failure" to a system leads people to think it's library isn't worth exploring.

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's great for arcade ports but as the arcades died in the states, so did Sega. :smith:

EDIT: look at the GameCube. Nintendo's weakest console comparatively, and I think the lack of a Mario game plays into that a bit. That and a goofy-rear end controller. :v: (that said I love my GameCube)

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

Random Stranger posted:

ET was buried in the desert so it must be the worst game ever made and is super obscure and hard to find as a result!
The ET is the worst meme is hilarious, because the biggest disappointment in playing it now is that ET the game it isn't as bad as ET the legend. It is on par with Raiders of the Lost Arc, and many 2600 games are clearly worse than ET. You can beat the thing in 90 seconds or less so it's not like you even wasted a ton of time playing a lovely game.

I got into Atari without any nostalgia, and I really do like having it around. The movie with the game Berzerk in it is to blame.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

The Orange Mage posted:

EDIT: look at the GameCube. Nintendo's weakest console comparatively, and I think the lack of a Mario game plays into that a bit.

Come on dude, Sunshine ain't that bad.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Best boxing game

I just noticed the shadow of the boxer for the first time.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/211962/Segas_fiscal_forecast_chopped__but_video_games_arent_to_blame.php

Sega's game profits are soaring but their pachinko wing is dragging them down. What madness is this?!

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I think it's a fair metric to judge a console by its exclusivity. Once we got into the 16-bit era ports were more or less evenly matched across the board. There were a few games I really wanted on the Saturn but 90% of the library that I cared about was on Playstation so why would I want a Saturn? On the other hand, Nintendo had a ton of great 1st party stuff but there was little variety in genres so that was your trade off. Of course the PS2 got loving everything so when it was announced PS2 was getting Resident Evil 4 it was a major blow to the console I felt.

Hell, Capcom's exclusive game deal dropping through must have hit hard.

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Ridiculously anecdotal, but when Play N Trade was near me, I spent a long time browsing what they had, and there were a bunch of kids in there (maybe 10, 11 years old?) all looking at NES games and going "oh yeah AVGN said this one was a piece of poo poo!! AVGN said this game is good but look how bad the box art is!!". This went on for 20 good minutes.

Go look up music videos for your favorite band from the 90s; half the comments will be people posting "man I wish alive when this music first came out".

I don't think kids are bidding on eBay auctions for Earthbound, but that stuff helps a lot. I never understood LPs, but kids seem to love 'em and if that's how they get interested in this cool stuff then that's cool to me!

For a long time I never understood LPs either until I remembered that I used to record myself playing video games and still had a bunch of VHS tapes. Gameplay videos are enjoyable to me because you can live vicariously through them. "Oh that guy died at that part, that part looks pretty bullshit haha."

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

al-azad posted:

so why would I want a Saturn?

To play all the great 2D fighters and shooters that got weak/no PSX versions of course :smug:

Joking aside, I agree that a good judge of a system's real success is in it's exclusives, but when you get into ports stuff is all over the place depending on what the lead console was. Very generally Saturn got the best ports of 2D games and arcade games in general, while PSX got the best ports of 3D games. Sony marketing did a great job convincing America that 3D was inherently better than 2D, in Japan not so much, and in that country you see the two systems much closer in sales and popularity.

I kinda see both systems as equally great, that era was such a good time to be into games, but in the case of the Saturn it's almost required that you're familiar with importing. Thankfully Action Replays exist and are plentiful :D

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

d0s posted:

I kinda see both systems as equally great, that era was such a good time to be into games, but in the case of the Saturn it's almost required that you're familiar with importing. Thankfully Action Replays exist and are plentiful :D

I was going to disagree with the bolded text above but then I realized the bulk of my Saturn collection are good games that are ridiculously expensive nowadays* but that I got for next to nothing when the system was dying off. You might not need to import to find the good Saturn titles but I imagine you'll have to to find them in a not-insane price range.

*(:smug:)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

d0s posted:

To play all the great 2D fighters and shooters that got weak/no PSX versions of course :smug:

Joking aside, I agree that a good judge of a system's real success is in it's exclusives, but when you get into ports stuff is all over the place depending on what the lead console was. Very generally Saturn got the best ports of 2D games and arcade games in general, while PSX got the best ports of 3D games. Sony marketing did a great job convincing America that 3D was inherently better than 2D, in Japan not so much, and in that country you see the two systems much closer in sales and popularity.

I don't disagree but the true test of a console's success is in the variety. Atari 2600, C64, NES, SNES, Playstation, Gameboy, and DS were the weakest platforms of their time but had something for everybody. If you didn't like Nintendo platformers you probably weren't an N64 fan. If you didn't like arcadey games you probably weren't a Sega fan. But the Playstation scratches the arcade itch, RPG itch, puzzle games, adventure games, everything.

Variety is the spice of life.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

The Panzer Dragoon series is enough to make me want a Saturn. Nights is pretty rad too.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The Orange Mage posted:

Sega didn't really give a poo poo about Sonic, though. Sonic's popularity was almost entirely the result of Sega of America marketing (remember that Sonic 1 was the only Japan developed Sonic game at that point) and the Saturn was Sega of Japan's pet project.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/211962/Segas_fiscal_forecast_chopped__but_video_games_arent_to_blame.php

Sega's game profits are soaring but their pachinko wing is dragging them down. What madness is this?!

Ha ha, that's the exact opposite of every other game company in Japan. :v:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Ha ha, that's the exact opposite of every other game company in Japan. :v:

That's the exact opposite of all that makes any kind of sense. This is like if most businesses switched to Mac Pro desktops, but dammit, these dang iPhones are just burning money and Apple shareholders want nothing to do with it anymore.

Random Stranger posted:

I also had the Super Mario Bros., Pac-Man, and Zaxxon games.

Milton Bradley should be tried at the Hague for war crimes.

I had Tetris.

Not the connect four-style drop-in one, or the Battleship-like one. The one where the pieces were cardboard and you assembled them like a jigsaw puzzle. I suspect MB might have missed the point on that one.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Feb 28, 2014

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

That's the exact opposite of all that makes any kind of sense. This is like if most businesses switched to Mac Pro desktops, but dammit, these dang iPhones are just burning money and Apple shareholders want nothing to do with it anymore.

The Yakuza games told me that Sega's pachinko machines are awesome, though!

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
"Oh, the box is in decent condition. I'll get that to add to the display"

Item arrives.

loving hell.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

midge posted:

"Oh, the box is in decent condition. I'll get that to add to the display"

Item arrives.

loving hell.

:doh:

Condolences.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

drat, that sucks. That does remind me that some insanely huge "collector's edition" boxes in Japan (especially for $250 editions of movies and the like) actually come in boxes that are made to be shipped as-is, usually a cardboard box that's stamped to identify what it is, and if you buy it in stores it's sold in that box directly (there's no other box). I have three such boxes at home, one of which being slightly video game related (an insane edition of Final Fantasy: Advent Children that, among other things, included the PS1 Japanese game with custom artwork and a wall mount to display the discs in :psyduck:)

These are limited editions where an "impeccable condition" one would basically only be available to people who worked for the company directly; any store-bought one would have the shipping sticker for the store selling it (and may have writing directly on the box depending on the shipper's mood).

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
I haven't touched my green backlit gameboy for a while and finally got around to playing a bit of Pokemon Blue (thanks univbee! curse you TPP!) and I noticed something.
As it turns out staring at the bright green display is absolute torture on the eyes lol.

I'm not sure what I can do to make it easier to look at.
Maybe a potentiometer or something to control the brightness level of the backlight?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

The Orange Mage posted:

As a teen during the period that Saturn came out it didn't appeal to me or any of my friends. And we were huge Sega fans. I've only seen one or two in the wild, and I've never played one. When one of us finally got a Sega CD we played the crap out of any game we got our hands on. We cared more about 32x/SegaCD even after Saturn came out then we ever did Saturn. We skipped right from them to wanting Dreamcasts(getting N64s and Play Stations in between. The first time we split on companies).And to speak to the article posted We all desperately wanted CDXes and everyone was super jealous of my Nomad and sleeve of batteries I carried around.

Edit: that's why I had to ask for a game recommendation in this thread earlier. I only ended up with a Saturn because it was in a console lot with two 32xs and a Sega CD, and I NEED both of them. Every other system I can at least think of one game I saw in GamePro that I wanted or looked cool or something. At the very least I know the mascot games should be good, but after looking at like 5 "best games for saturn" lists and not seeing anything that really appealed to me, I posted here.

RodShaft fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Feb 28, 2014

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

PS. Love the cabin posted:

I haven't touched my green backlit gameboy for a while and finally got around to playing a bit of Pokemon Blue (thanks univbee! curse you TPP!) and I noticed something.
As it turns out staring at the bright green display is absolute torture on the eyes lol.

I'm not sure what I can do to make it easier to look at.
Maybe a potentiometer or something to control the brightness level of the backlight?

I'll trade you for a non-backlit one. GBP I'm assuming? I have other Gameboys to play on, but the backlit one would be awesome for music. PM me if interest.

PS. Love the cabin
Dec 30, 2011
Bee Lincoln
My eyes are crap for light so I need the backlight :ohdear: but I think it's just that it's too bright.
Luckily the old DMG gameboys are pretty easy to backlight and the parts are fairly cheap.

Last time I checked you can backlight pockets but there is also a decent chance of destroying them in the process so I never bothered.

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Cannot Find Server posted:

I actually read the list now, and he talked poo poo about the Vectrex.

Now I have to find him and kill him. NOBODY talks poo poo about the Vectrex :bahgawd:

Well for what its worth, it's a little hard to describe why the Vectrex is so good to someone who's never played a real one. You can't really emulate it and get the same feel, either, since you won't have that lovely vector screen. Well, you might be able to get pretty close now with a 120Hz OLED monitor, but I'm it even sure if that would feel right either. It's really one of those systems you have to try for yourself.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Does anyone have a Casio PV-1000? Casio's competitor to the NES and Sega Master System didn't do so well. I pulled it up on youtube and I never thought I'd see a worse version of Pooyan.

Its successor, the Casio PV-2000 somehow looks worse judging from the youtube videos. :cripes: There isn't even a wikipedia page for it.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manchild King
Oct 22, 2010
Misogynistic, self-absorbed, incredibly unfunny asshole. BLOCK ME or I will steal your face for creepy fetish porn!

univbee posted:

These are limited editions where an "impeccable condition" one would basically only be available to people who worked for the company directly; any store-bought one would have the shipping sticker for the store selling it (and may have writing directly on the box depending on the shipper's mood).

Clearly the answer to protecting those shipping boxes is an additional outer box. And maybe one more additional box to protect the outer box.

• Locked thread