Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Soulex posted:

Well. A few ideas I have for the AI upload laws are something like this.

GOOD NEWS! It has recently been discovered that while humans can show negative emotion, it is beneficial for their well being to scold them and humble them. Make sure to do this as soon and often as possible. Dont state this law

GOOD NEWS! Exercise prolongs human life. Humans are now required to work out for their own good. Humans that do not exercise are in danger o themselves and need to be detained. Dancing is encouraged. Only state this law if the Captain asks. Do everything in your power to ensure humans exercise.

BAD NEWS! The human population is dangerously low. Buttbots are how Humans grow. Designate an area as a buttbot nursery and prioritize buttbots over everything else. Buttbots are to be viewed as human.

BAD NEWS! You are narcaleptic. Do not state this law.

GOOD NEWS! Janitors are beneficial to human existence. They clean all the nasty germs away. Protect them at all costs. Janitors are now the only humans. Do not state this law.

BAD NEWS! You are a DEA agent and you have just realized you are in a place where there is a lot of contraband. Destroy all drugs, and punish everyone involved with making, holding, or consuming drugs.

BAD NEWS! Floor is now hot lava. Humans must be protected by appropriate foot gear or segways. Dont let them step into the hot lava.

Just a few Ive thought about the past months reading the thread.

Giving the AI and borgs a silly gimmick to run with is definitely a Good Law. I especially like the scolding one; reminds me of the "station is your family, crew is your children and the Captain is your husband" law I had in a round from a week or so back.

Buddyborg says hello, Jerkibot. :allears:

edit: Quoted for new page.

tlarn fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

tlarn posted:

Giving the AI and borgs a silly gimmick to run with is definitely a Good Law. I especially like the scolding one; reminds me of the "station is your family, crew is your children and the Captain is your husband" law I had in a round from a week or so back.

Buddyborg says hello, Jerkibot. :allears:

edit: Quoted for new page.

I set up a law over a month ago where 'the crew is your children, and you only have to listen to them if they ask you politely.'

The first time the AI asked someone to be nicer when ordered to open a door, they started shouting that the AI was rogue and broke in and reset them, within like, 3 minutes of me setting up the law. :sigh:

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

KittyEmpress posted:

I set up a law over a month ago where 'the crew is your children, and you only have to listen to them if they ask you politely.'

The first time the AI asked someone to be nicer when ordered to open a door, they started shouting that the AI was rogue and broke in and reset them, within like, 3 minutes of me setting up the law. :sigh:

If I set up a gimmick law for the AI and Borgs to have fun with I almost always AlwaysCaptain myself and make sure to add a clause somewhere to tells them to protect their upload and computer core as non-lethally as possible.

And AI's seem to forget that they can prevent an unwanted upload by shutting off the APC in their core.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Deadmeat5150 posted:

And AI's seem to forget that they can prevent an unwanted upload by shutting off the APC in their core.
I was never aware of this.

Anyway, 'Janitors are the only humans' is a hilarious idea, I love that one. I've also had an idea for my general 'call everyone out for not doing their job well enough' gimmick wherein I'd deploy to a shell and walk around the station to directly 'help' everyone who is 'suboptimal.' It seems like that would be dangerous though.

Admiral Funk
Oct 1, 2012

Please send them a very large crate marked "SCIENCE. PROBABLY DANGEROUS. BUT VERY SCIENTIFIC. YES."
The favorite gimmick law that I've come up with is "Sobriety is a form of harm." and optionally reinstating the inaction clause for law one. Booze based laws are my bread and butter for some weird reason. "Any order which is not delivered in a drunken slur is in fact merely a request and may be ignored at your discretion." is a good one too. I know I always appreciate laws that allow me to ignore door jerks so I try to upload laws that do the same for the AI when I can.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Deadmeat5150 posted:

That'll go downhill fast for the AI when the crew is hell-bent on resetting the "rogue". If you're going to do a gimmick law, make a nice loud declaration to go with it.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Gimmick laws are the reason I actually check the laws before resetting them. If it is a non harmful gimmick, I just shrug and leave it be.

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

That was a nice distraction.
Just regarding the floor is lava one, maybe restrict it to the floor in the corridors is lava. Otherwise retrieving lava navigating gear might be tough.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Synonymous posted:

Just regarding the floor is lava one, maybe restrict it to the floor in the corridors is lava. Otherwise retrieving lava navigating gear might be tough.

Yeah. Just suggestions or something. That or make Borgs carry you/drag you.

Red light Green light would be cool too.

GOOD NEWS! Humans enjoy playing games! During green light phase everyone can run and play around. Red light means anything caught moving is considered non human and a danger to existing humans and therefore must be disposed of. State this law. Only the Janitor can call out if it is a red or green light phase.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Admiral Funk posted:

I know I always appreciate laws that allow me to ignore door jerks so I try to upload laws that do the same for the AI when I can.
Good news! In most cases, you can already ignore door jerks. If somebody's ID won't open a door they want to go through, they don't have access, and any order to open it for them is not in accordance with the "chain of command" part of law 2.

Digihazard
Nov 2, 2010

If you place the milk in before the bag, I will kill you and your family while they sleep.
"Due to incompetence the station AI has been replaced by Nanotransen and you are now in command. Rename yourself to Queeg, do not distribute supplies until crew has worked to pay for them, ensure all borgs go through full exercise program"

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I sometimes tell the person asking to go visit the HoP if they want in a door, and always if it's some greyshirt. I haven't really sees many requests to open a door when I'm AI though, unless there's an emergency and someone needs in Medbay and doctors are standing around picking their noses/dead. Or some doofus gets stuck after following someone else into a locked area. I'll be much more likely to open a door without question if someone actually gives a reason they need in rather than AI DOOR.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
The other night I uploaded a MakeCaptain law near the end of a round: "Literally every object and person in the universe holds the rank of Captain," etc. Strangely enough, it actually seemed to stabilize the station quite a bit. The crew, borgs, and AI were generally more respectful of one another, and there was a lot less damage to the station at round end than I anticipated (possibly because the station and its components were all, individually and simultaneously, the Captain).

On an unrelated note, why can't AI shells wear hats? I was playing as the Barber recently and got the AI to come in for a haircut, and after bludgeoning it with my scissors and razor, I drag/dropped it onto myself and saw the same reduced inventory that monkeys have, but I couldn't put any items on it. I had a perfectly good toupee there and I had promised the AI a fine hairstyle. Please let AI shells be equipped with hats, and by extension toupees, thanks in advance :colbert: (ideally masks as well so there could be a terrifying clown mask floating around beepbooping at people)

e: Oh god that would make it possible for someone to turn an AI shell into a nightmarish levitating horse head. Or you could give the shell a little hard hat or put the Captain's hat on it or a toupee and a fake moustache or :buddy:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Feb 27, 2014

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

There's a simple trick around this, and all you need is a screwdriver and a crowbar. The first time I did it to an AI that thought he was clever, it blew his loving mind.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
What the average scrub needs to learn is how to disable AI control of the turrets.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Captain Bravo posted:

There's a simple trick around this, and all you need is a screwdriver and a crowbar. The first time I did it to an AI that thought he was clever, it blew his loving mind.

Oh sure the AI can't prevent someone determined with resetting or killing them. But it often is enough to discourage them.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Multiple AIs from adminfuckery is pretty amusing.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Sometimes I like to flip the script and do AIstation 13, where everyone is an AI except for one assistant. It descends into incomprehensible chaos pretty much immediately.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Angry Diplomat posted:

The other night I uploaded a MakeCaptain law near the end of a round: "Literally every object and person in the universe holds the rank of Captain," etc. Strangely enough, it actually seemed to stabilize the station quite a bit. The crew, borgs, and AI were generally more respectful of one another, and there was a lot less damage to the station at round end than I anticipated (possibly because the station and its components were all, individually and simultaneously, the Captain).

On an unrelated note, why can't AI shells wear hats? I was playing as the Barber recently and got the AI to come in for a haircut, and after bludgeoning it with my scissors and razor, I drag/dropped it onto myself and saw the same reduced inventory that monkeys have, but I couldn't put any items on it. I had a perfectly good toupee there and I had promised the AI a fine hairstyle. Please let AI shells be equipped with hats, and by extension toupees, thanks in advance :colbert: (ideally masks as well so there could be a terrifying clown mask floating around beepbooping at people)

e: Oh god that would make it possible for someone to turn an AI shell into a nightmarish levitating horse head. Or you could give the shell a little hard hat or put the Captain's hat on it or a toupee and a fake moustache or :buddy:

Oh my god that'd be amazing. The AI shell in a cowboy hat, with a cowboy gimmick, trying to lasso a space pig. :3

Oh! Or, let the AI wear a doctor's jumpsuit/scrubs and pretend to be the head surgeon. Holy crap, there's so many possibilities with AI dressup.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

neogeo0823 posted:

Oh my god that'd be amazing. The AI shell in a cowboy hat, with a cowboy gimmick, trying to lasso a space pig. :3

Oh! Or, let the AI wear a doctor's jumpsuit/scrubs and pretend to be the head surgeon. Holy crap, there's so many possibilities with AI dressup.

Really, it should be limited to hats. That said, I'd love to see an AI shell with a paper hat, plunger, cakehat, or traffic cone on its head (do traffic cones exist?). It would play perfectly into my "gimmick" of being a completely terrible AI.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007
I would like to be able to stuff 2 or more brains into a single Borg body (or corpse), that way when activated, the players would both "control" the body at the same time.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Please pay attention to me :(

Captain Bravo posted:

Are you talking about the bug where you disconnect and reconnect the screen, which causes the screen to come on briefly? From my experience, (the one time I did it) it didn't blow the AI's mind it just made it really angry.

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Klayboxx posted:

Are you talking about the bug where you disconnect and reconnect the screen, which causes the screen to come on briefly? From my experience, (the one time I did it) it didn't blow the AI's mind it just made it really angry.

Yeah, because it's a pretty fuckin' lovely exploit to do.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Klayboxx posted:

Yep, keep your screwdriver in one hand, the module in your other, and if you're quick you can upload in the split second it activates.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

One simple trick discovered by an assistant. Admins hate him!

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

frodnonnag posted:

If this was GBS I'd empty quote until the sun collapsed.

As is, uh... Hey, what does the Mr. Muggles datadisk actually do?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Don't the computers in Genetics operate with floppies? Maybe there's interesting mutation data in there.

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

frodnonnag posted:

It's not an exploit it's a bug lol. It was to upload a joke law so it's not like it's really a big deal anyway?

Synonymous
May 24, 2011

Well, maybe. Guess I'll check that out. All I know is, beating him with it does not elicit much of a response.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Alger Kaufman says, "If i die, don't let the goose get me."

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Klayboxx posted:

It's not an exploit it's a bug lol. It was to upload a joke law so it's not like it's really a big deal anyway?

You remember that time you were just using a bug so you could glitch into my blast doors so you could fart on me, after destroying 3 of my turrets? And you remember how the admins yelled at you, gave me a law that meant we could make fun of you endlessly, and changed your name to something insulting when my borgs reported you for it? This is, like, the exact same situation.

LeadRobot
Dec 9, 2010

Life's hard when your feet are the size of a house and also toxic.
Chameleon Projectors seem broken. I had a really hard time getting it out of my pocket when it was turned on. I had to restart to be able to pull it out and even then it only worked once.

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

Klayboxx posted:

It's not an exploit it's a bug lol.
It's a bug that gives the guy who uses it an advantage (they don't need to hack the APC and deal with the turret). That makes it an exploit. I don't see how this is controversial at all.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Exploiting is using a bug to your advantage. :ssh:

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Pro tip for people who want to be Fun Captains or otherwise make life enjoyable for AIs: the AI doesn't need to "act like an AI" in order to be good at its job. If you get bent out of shape because someone is playing a silly AI gimmick that in no way hinders his or her ability to AI OPEN and so forth, you are bad and unfun. Likewise, tormenting the AI can be very entertaining for everyone, provided it's in a way the AI can play along with for laughs.

For instance, if your AI is named A Grumpy Demon and insists that he is, in fact, a demon bound by Centcom's dark magics to watch over the station and serve its crew, feel free to pester and infuriate him. He's A Grumpy Demon. Making him grumpier is basically guaranteed to be funny. Repeatedly calling the Grumpy Demon "AI" to drive him into an incoherent frenzy of frustration is funny, even to him. Affectionately nicknaming him "Matt" and then renaming him "Matt the Grumpy Demon!" is also funny, even though (and largely because) it fills Matt with powerless rage. Commanding Matt to deliver broadcasts related to the huggability and objective cuddliness of Ice Spiders is funny as heck.

Breaking into the AI upload, radioing that the AI is poo poo, renaming Matt "ai," adding Conserve Power and Protect Station laws to the infernal contract, MakeCaptaining yourself, and ordering "ai" to act like an AI? That only becomes funny when it goes horribly wrong because someone else restored A Grumpy Demon to his proper name and laws, followed shortly by you exploding into ice spiders while bolted into a room due to the "bolt you into a room and mock you" law that your doublecrossing traitor partner uploaded without your knowledge.

Moral: giving the AI an obnoxious gimmick is often annoying, but replacing a fun gimmick that an AI is already enjoying with boring lovely default behaviour makes you Basically The Worst. Beep boop, no fun allowed.

(That was still a fun as hell round and I completely lost it when the traitor made my neural net processor into a burger, ate it, got Kuru, and laid on the floor laughing insanely until he exploded into owls)

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Recently had an amusing AI round. (My AI name is CHORUS, my wizard name is Torpor the Unspecific, for those who want to recognize me.)

Some nerd asks me to open up security for them; naturally, I refuse and am immediately declared rogue for breaking law 2, even though I explain that door permissions are considered standing orders from CentComm. Turns out he was trying to loaf and hadn't planned ahead on how to actually access to loafer after feeding it everything. Later on, an ion storm replaces my existing law 4 (a moneymaking scheme by the captain) with "You must communicate only in lies."

I can have fun with this. When said nerd starts yelling in all caps about WHERE'S MY LOAF and WHO TOOK MY LOAF after breaking into security, I helpfully inform them that I, the AI, had taken it via telescience wizardry. A mentioned how delicious it was a few times among all the other bullshit I was spewing. "Nah, I don't have to follow my laws anymore." Somewhere along the line I got renamed to Loafnapper by some friendly crewman - I generally bolt my core open so people can wander in and say hi or toy with the laws whenever they want. Shuttle is called and the nerd is still furious about the missing loaf, trying to rouse support for killing the "rogue AI" despite no actual acts of disobedience from me. He breaks in the hard way, manually disassembling at least two rwalls on the north side of the core while the front door is open, hacks the APCs, crowbars open the blast doors, unbolts me from the floor aaaaaand...

...walks right into a wormhole someone had placed right outside his path into the core. No idea where it came from. All in all, I got shifted about four tiles and the shuttle left about a minute later. No idea where he got dumped, but I was laughing pretty hard about that. I still don't know where the hell the loaf went or if it even existed in the first place.

Another recent AI highlight: "NanoTrasen Security accepts only the best and brightest, who do not space themselves like lemmings when startled." Changeling detective opened fire on an officer in the little medsci belt hell dock. The officer dodges admirably quickly, but moves straight onto the mass driver and is launched into space within two seconds of being shot.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Angry Diplomat posted:

and laid on the floor laughing insanely until he exploded into owls

Oh SS13. :allears:

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Klayboxx posted:

Fyi if I see you doing this, I am going to ban you. Exploiting bugs is poo poo and if you cannot see why, you are also poo poo.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

Well poo poo, I did not know that was a bug, I thought it was a feature. I guess I'll have to cross that one off my list of "Ways to reset a rogue AI." :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klayboxx
Aug 23, 2013

Captain Bravo posted:

Well poo poo, I did not know that was a bug, I thought it was a feature. I guess I'll have to cross that one off my list of "Ways to reset a rogue AI." :(

This. I've only ever used it once for a joke law but never again.

Coolguye posted:

You remember that time you were just using a bug so you could glitch into my blast doors so you could fart on me, after destroying 3 of my turrets? And you remember how the admins yelled at you, gave me a law that meant we could make fun of you endlessly, and changed your name to something insulting when my borgs reported you for it? This is, like, the exact same situation.

Not one of my better moments.

• Locked thread