Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

IceAgeComing posted:

The insane youtube retsupurae fans are dumb - the ones who send disturbing messages to people who's only crime is making bad internet videos. Hell, I'm sure that slowbeef mentioned in a podcast somewhere that QueenieZ, or one of the 2008 people, was still getting death threats from a RP that was made 6 years ago!

I used to be friends with someone who got RP'd and he told me he pretty much quit Let's Plays because he was sick of getting death threats.

It's even worse because the video of his that got RP'd was more of a joke video than anything and not really indicitive of what he was really like. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
I miss the old days when there used to be links to the person who you could see more videos of the person being RPed, but I saw some of the aftermath of some of those RP videos so I can understand why that changed.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

JordanKai posted:

I used to be friends with someone who got RP'd and he told me he pretty much quit Let's Plays because he was sick of getting death threats.

When did this happen?

edit: That sounded wrong. I mean, like, was this recent or awhile back? I'd like to address it in some capacity.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I wonder what would happen if you put out a "we need to talk" video sternly telling people it's unacceptable, we don't condone it, and if you ever see death threats, report them to you, because it's incredibly childish, etc.

I think it might get the point across.

... but it's also the internet, so it's a scary proposition.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

slowbeef posted:

When did this happen?

edit: That sounded wrong. I mean, like, was this recent or awhile back? I'd like to address it in some capacity.

This happened 3 or 4 years ago, so don't worry about it too much.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
^^^ That does make me feel better.

Suspicious Dish posted:

I wonder what would happen if you put out a "we need to talk" video sternly telling people it's unacceptable, we don't condone it, and if you ever see death threats, report them to you, because it's incredibly childish, etc.

I think it might get the point across.

... but it's also the internet, so it's a scary proposition.

I wrote up a big carepost, but I think I just came up with a good solution. Well, maybe it won't solve it, but it'll address it. I think maybe if we had a "What is Retsupurae?" sort of channel trailer; right now we have Darkseed for our channel trailer because it was a solid (we thought) video. Research Indicates made us one a great-looking/sounding long time ago, but it kinda came across as "Your Let's Plays aren't as good as ours!"

Maybe something along the order of what the channels about, what people can do if they get RPed, have requests...

I gotta think some more on this,.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I feel like that's a bit too soft. It's completely unacceptable that people are sending death threats.

That's got to stop now. And if you don't stop it, it won't stop.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

I feel like that's a bit too soft. It's completely unacceptable that people are sending death threats.

I thought it actually wasn't happening (we'd addressed it years back), which is why I was surprised by JordanKai's post. He's saying it was 3-4 years ago, so maybe what we did had that effect.

I'm also not going to start accusing people of sending death threats if they actually aren't doing it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Ah, OK. I didn't see Jordan's post, so I thought it was recent as well.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.

slowbeef posted:

I thought it actually wasn't happening (we'd addressed it years back), which is why I was surprised by JordanKai's post. He's saying it was 3-4 years ago, so maybe what we did had that effect.

I'm also not going to start accusing people of sending death threats if they actually aren't doing it.

I've looked at the original videos of some of the more recent RPs you guys have done (Dark Souls, Super Mario 64 [Family guy], and Sonic 3 [Exceedinly unfunny guy]), and not only are they not nearly as flooded with comments like they used to be, they're also not nearly as horrible in terms of comments.

I think the problem has been reduced, I just don't think there's a way to stop it entirely. Making a video saying, "Stop sending death threats!" without knowing if it's still a problem, will make a lot of people feel awkward.

Regardless, I think making a private/unlisted video of "What to do if you get RP'd" is a good idea! You can send it as a PM to the people you RP, so then they both have a better understanding as to what it means, and how to get in contact with you guys if they have concerns.

I think it will help the 'victims' deal with it better, knowing it's a joke, because I think sometimes they feel it's a unwarranted attack. I know there was a few who tried to lash back at you guys, like that Defiance guy.

ReturnOfFable
Oct 9, 2012

No tears, only dreams.
I like the idea of a channel intro video explaining what exactly is RP. I'd recommend throwing some links to a few of your best RP's in the video so everyone has some examples on what exactly you guys are doing.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

So i know the video itself is a bit old but...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiUYu2BBgNE This can't be the same Cornshaq that was on retsupurae oh so long ago was it? He's...improved :aaaaa:.

Long video alert, an hour and a half for the first part then the second is around the same amount.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Crazy internet people are crazy internet people, sadly.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Everything has insane fans, from people playing games for the internet to the Indian cricket team. It wouldn't matter if slowbeef or Sachin Tendulkar told fans to stop sending awful messages; people would anyway

Sneaky Fast
Apr 24, 2013

Where does the term retsupurae come from?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Sneaky Fast posted:

Where does the term retsupurae come from?

It's a bit of a nonsense thing I came up with back in the day. There wasn't a great reason behind it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I thought it was just engrish.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Nihilarian posted:

Sorta, but it came to my attention that people thought it was a racist thing - like we were implying the LPs were bootleg or Chinese knockoffs or something like that. That really wasn't the intention. I couldn't tell you why we picked it or agreed to it, but that really wasn't in my mind.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Nihilarian posted:

Or riff-Let's Play smashed together. :v:

KamenZero
Oct 19, 2013

slowbeef posted:

Sorta, but it came to my attention that people thought it was a racist thing - like we were implying the LPs were bootleg or Chinese knockoffs or something like that. That really wasn't the intention. I couldn't tell you why we picked it or agreed to it, but that really wasn't in my mind.

While I noticed that it was an engrish pronunciation of "Let's Play", I never saw it as racist or anything. I always thought it was a funny little thing like, these aren't really "Let's Play" videos, since you're not the one playing, and that it was... I dunno, in my mind it was sort of a complicated understanding of it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
I'd love to say that the connection in my mind from "retsupurae" to "lovely bootleg LPs" isn't racist, but goddamn it is. So I'm sorry for being a giant piece of racist garbage.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Suspicious Dish posted:

I'd love to say that the connection in my mind from "retsupurae" to "lovely bootleg LPs" isn't racist, but goddamn it is. So I'm sorry for being a giant piece of racist garbage.

Get one of your videos RP'd so I can send you death threats.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Has there been anyone who's ever done LPs and stopped everything to do them on youtube, only for their audience to run dry to the point where they can't live off it and they panic to try and get views again? I know DSP is heading to that point, but I'm not sure if that's ever happened before.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.

bobjr posted:

Has there been anyone who's ever done LPs and stopped everything to do them on youtube, only for their audience to run dry to the point where they can't live off it and they panic to try and get views again? I know DSP is heading to that point, but I'm not sure if that's ever happened before.

I don't know about for LP only, but I sort of knew a guy named Peter Coffin who made comedy videos and lots of song parodies and stuff, and did that full-time for a while. Then he pretty much stopped, and when he did rarely make something it never really got any views. He did try making a game channel once, but he was never very good at it, and it wasn't very popular, I don't think. He was the kind of guy who would stop LPs simply because nobody was watching them. He also did Super Mario World that got to a point where each update was simply one level, just for content, so he had like a 60 or 70-something part LP of that.

Recently he made a video which basically said "Hey, donate money to me so I don't have to get a real job."

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

bobjr posted:

WingsofRedemption.

So back a few years ago in the heady days of 2008 people started buying direct capture equipment and recording themselves playing Call of Duty and commenting over the game after the fact and posting it on YouTube, which had a 15 minute time limit, which was perfect as CoD rounds only usually last 10-13 minutes. Back then having someone who could provide good tips and tricks was a pretty big deal. Because CoD games have limited maps the focus soon turned to having huge numbers, and there is only so much you can say while playing COD multiplayer. So these guys became personalities.

Wings was a nearly breakout star of that scene, with his deep southern drawl, stories about living in the rural south and...actually, I can't think of how the hell he got popular, he was aggressively annoying and just happened to have a few funny stories. He built up a pretty large fanbase and signed a contract with Machinima before it was known as a terrible group to work with. Wings bought shitkicker truck and then a double wide thanks to Machinima money and his fans were clamoring to interact with him. Wing's idea of interaction with his fans was to start selling space on his Xbox Friends list for Microsoft Points (Bitcoins of the mid-to-late 2000's, those), and would play a match with you for fewer points.

Eventually, his popularity began to stall. Then decline. He eventually released a video explaining he was burnt out on CoD after playing every single day for the last six years. He had started doing Let's Plays as well, but they were near unwatchable. So there he sat, in the office of his trailer in front of a professional audio setup explaining to people that he had gone into a contract negotiation with Machinima and they offered him less money, but his bills had put him in the red over the last few months and would continue, so he asked for more money and when they didn't move their offer to match his he attempted to walk.

He went to another network who soon realized that the reason he was in the position he was in was that he was losing viewers fast. They dropped him. Last I heard he was on his own, still making GBS threads out content, still complaining that he played video games for a living.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

bobjr posted:

I asked NorthernLion about this scenario, and his thing was that he used to be an English teacher for Koreans. So basically, there's nothing stopping him from going back if the gravy train ran out.

Realistically speaking, living off YouTube is something like "Starting your own business" and it's how I'd personally explain that employment gap if I were doing LP/RP full time. That sort of thing is more easily explained from field-to-field; mine isn't particularly conducive to that. But if you did work in media, or a public-facing job, it's frankly not a bad thing to explain to people. Most people outside of gamers, etc. have never heard of making a YouTube gig a full time job, so it probably sounds somewhat inventive/entrepreneurial to them.

It's all in how you sell it, really, and it's probably for the best you don't show people too many examples of your work; especially if you're screaming in a parrot suit or something.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Lazyfire posted:

Wings was a nearly breakout star of that scene, with his deep southern drawl, stories about living in the rural south and...actually, I can't think of how the hell he got popular, he was aggressively annoying and just happened to have a few funny stories. He built up a pretty large fanbase and signed a contract with Machinima before it was known as a terrible group to work with. Wings bought shitkicker truck and then a double wide thanks to Machinima money and his fans were clamoring to interact with him. Wing's idea of interaction with his fans was to start selling space on his Xbox Friends list for Microsoft Points (Bitcoins of the mid-to-late 2000's, those), and would play a match with you for fewer points.

Eventually, his popularity began to stall. Then decline. He eventually released a video explaining he was burnt out on CoD after playing every single day for the last six years. He had started doing Let's Plays as well, but they were near unwatchable. So there he sat, in the office of his trailer in front of a professional audio setup explaining to people that he had gone into a contract negotiation with Machinima and they offered him less money, but his bills had put him in the red over the last few months and would continue, so he asked for more money and when they didn't move their offer to match his he attempted to walk.

This is pretty much evocative of the entertainment industry as a whole, and I'm a tad surprised that LPers with dollars in their eyes dont take a step back and realize that this isn't a stable "industry" if you can call it that. I'm not 100% sure, but I'm pretty confident that most famous SA LPers barely make any money from this hobby. Hell I think Psych only got enough money recently to buy Rise of the Triad a few months back. It almost seems like luck that PDP and Gamegrumps got where they were, and I'd hate to see what happens when that luck goes south.

Slowbeef mentioning NorthernLion is pretty neat. I'm not a huge fan of his LPs but I do respect the guy because he realizes LP is a sinking ship business-wise and has established back-up plans. The guy's pretty smart.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've met potential employers who are astounded by the simple act of touch typing, so if you dress it up right, you could definitely impress people by dressing up the fact that you sit around playing bad video games the week they come out for ad money.

And to be fair, the principal of it is kind of impressive, the people are getting paid to do what they enjoy. It's just the execution of 90%+ of them that is cringe inducing.

E: ^PDP and at least Egoraptor have enough money or fingers in other pies to be pretty ok if their luck went south.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Game Grumps get all their games from their fans, if I recall correctly. So that probably cuts down on their expenses.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Highwang posted:

It almost seems like luck that PDP and Gamegrumps got where they were, and I'd hate to see what happens when that luck goes south.

For GameGrumps at least, I'm pretty sure both Egoraptor and Jontron were already pretty famous by internet standards before they started to do let's plays.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Suspicious Dish posted:

How about a new name for it? Like Elt's Paly or something. The typoes reflect the unpolished quality a lot of the mocked videos have! :v:

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Saagonsa posted:

For GameGrumps at least, I'm pretty sure both Egoraptor and Jontron were already pretty famous by internet standards before they started to do let's plays.

Game Grumps forming was basically like forming a super-group. Only a nerdier variation.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
You could honestly say the same thing about any sort of business. Selling e-books is a good way to make money, but when Amazon decides to gently caress with you or the world decides not to buy, you're out of luck. Same goes for pretty much any sort of business, to be honest.

40 hour a week jobs aren't fun necessarily but online jobs are only fun until the money stops.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Saagonsa posted:

Yeah this is true. Between his flash animations and Sequelitis, egoraptor was sitting pretty with a established fanbase and a supposed image of game critic. Then GG came around and any respect I had for him from Sequelitis was obliterated.

Not too sure bout Jontron since I never followed his channel. Seemed like a cool dude though, and JonTron show is fairly popular from what I hear.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Jon's replacement is also internet famous. Danny Sexbang from Ninja Sex Party.

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Nihilarian posted:

Jon's replacement is also internet famous. Danny Sexbang from Ninja Sex Party.
...who, within the last month, started earning enough money from his music and Game Grumps to leave his 9-5 job.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

Nihilarian posted:

The Game Grumps get all their games from their fans, if I recall correctly. So that probably cuts down on their expenses.

That's dumb.

If you buy your own poo poo, you get to declare it on your taxes and keep more of your income. Unless they're not reporting it on their taxes, which I'm betting a few don't.

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
I recently checked out JonTron just because some of his vids kept popping up in my recommended. I decided to check out his top SNES games video, just to see his taste in games. While some bits are a little cringe-inducing, he's far from the worst offender I've seen. He's definitely not for me, but I guess I can understand why people would like him. From what I can see, he at least tries to feature a wide variety of games.

This video had a few interesting bits, at least, just because I'm a sucker for bootleg versions of things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zJD9B0za9k

All these famous people from these circles are most tolerable in the Did You Know Gaming videos, simply because their "internet personalities" are shelved due to just reading trivia.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
There's also the fact that Egoraptor's wife is a model with a sizable Youtube fanbase herself (boosted from game grumps as of recent) so GG is not their only cash flow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

curiousTerminal posted:

There's also the fact that Egoraptor's wife is a model with a sizable Youtube fanbase herself (boosted from game grumps as of recent) so GG is not their only cash flow.

A lot of (big) YouTubers have multiple cash inflows. It's the smart thing to do: diversify.

If you do highlight reels and reviews, then if LP kicks the bucket, money-wise (I don't think it's actually going away), you have more to fall back on. Things like merch, Twitch subs (which is huge), etc.

• Locked thread