Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

therattle posted:

My cheffy former flatmate once made the very buttery mashed potatoes and they were sooooo drat good. I can't bring myself to add that much butter though. There is a restaurant in London called Fino which does amazing mashed potato with garlic, butter, and olive oil. Maybe cream.

it seems absurd, until you realize that the reason a ton of nice restaurants have food that tastes really good, is largely because they're doing poo poo like this. (having worked in a couple kitchens)

not saying every, but I've seen some ridiculous overuses of fat/salt just because 'hey make it taste good'

this from a guy who loves fat and salt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mindphlux posted:

it seems absurd, until you realize that the reason a ton of nice restaurants have food that tastes really good, is largely because they're doing poo poo like this. (having worked in a couple kitchens)

not saying every, but I've seen some ridiculous overuses of fat/salt just because 'hey make it taste good'

this from a guy who loves fat and salt

I love that Robuchon's mashed potato recipe is something like 20 lbs of potatoes + 20 lbs of butter, passed through a ricer or mesh sieve.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

I love that Robuchon's mashed potato recipe is something like 20 lbs of potatoes + 20 lbs of butter, passed through a ricer or mesh sieve.

best part is that his cookbook targeted for Americans was toned down to 3:1 because he wasn't sure the american palatte could handle the true ratio.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Robuchon is kind of like the Apostle of Butter.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Lately, instead of doing just mashed potatoes I'll roast about equal amounts of taters and cauliflower and then blend it all into a mashed-potatoey texture with salt, white pepper, butter, and a little cream. It mostly tastes like potatoes but it has little pieces of chewy browned cauliflower throughout. It may even be marginally more healthy than plain old mashed potatoes.

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Robuchon is kind of like the Apostle of Butter.

What would that make Paula Deen?

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

contrapants posted:

What would that make Paula Deen?

a butter golem

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

bartolimu posted:

a butter golem

No no, Paula controls the butter golem.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
I made a very nice mash with good olive oil, roast garlic, and blue cheese. It felt healthier, but rarely is an emulsion of potato a great idea. Fried up real nice in the morning, though.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Goat cheese mash. With lots of pepper.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Mashed celeriac. With lots of butter and eggs cracked into little holes in it before baking.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
honestly, I've been doing loving great purees of all sorts of vegetables recently, without going overboard on fat. take X vegetable, cut it into smallish peices, simmer in chicken stock until mushy, then just throw your veg into a plastic pint container (I'm usually just cooking for two), add just a tiny bit of stock to allow for a very thick mash, and hit it with an immersion blender. once you have a too thick slop of mush, toss in a little cream/butter and go to town on it with the blender. season of course.

you can then pass that through a sieve if you want, but I rarely bother. Works great with celeriac, carrots, spinach, rutabagas, lentils, turnips, potatoes, fennel, and probably anything really.

if I ever have a baby he's gonna have ~~da besssss~~~ babbeh food

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

mindphlux posted:

honestly, I've been doing loving great purees of all sorts of vegetables recently, without going overboard on fat. take X vegetable, cut it into smallish peices, simmer in chicken stock until mushy, then just throw your veg into a plastic pint container (I'm usually just cooking for two), add just a tiny bit of stock to allow for a very thick mash, and hit it with an immersion blender. once you have a too thick slop of mush, toss in a little cream/butter and go to town on it with the blender. season of course.
Yeah basically. I reserve the ultra-ultra high fat purees for if I ever have really nice fish or something (or I'm catering :unsmigghh: )

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Mash up some yukon golds (peel half of them), add a cup of chicken drippings then salt and pepper to taste. Glorious.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

The wife's job search is moving towards Orange County. Well, Irvine specifically.

I'm....I'm not sure how I feel about that.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

dino. posted:

They're super crispy on the outside, and floofy on the inside (is floofy even a word?) and have a ton of flavour.

Cattes are floofy, potatoes are fluffy, hth.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
About the only habit of Polish cuisine I've retained from my childhood eating liking pretty much anything of the general hearty-lumps-of-peasant-food variety (dumplings, stuffed veg, stew, whatever) served over mashed potatoes.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The wife's job search is moving towards Orange County. Well, Irvine specifically.

I'm....I'm not sure how I feel about that.
There are tons of great restaurants in OC, plus a lively farmers market community. If you're going to live on the grid it's not a terrible place to do so (aside from all the residents).

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Skinny King Pimp posted:

It's not a formal offer, but my UW-Madison grad application status says "Your program has recommended you for admission. The Graduate School will be reviewing your file. Please refer to this page for updates," sooooooo.

What champange should I buy when I have the formal offer in my hand?

Yay congrats! :neckbeard: Welcome back to the frigid north.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

bartolimu posted:

There are tons of great restaurants in OC, plus a lively farmers market community. If you're going to live on the grid it's not a terrible place to do so (aside from all the residents).

Yeah, and it'd be a good job for her, and I'd be able to go back to school full time, and it's better educational opportunities for my boy, and and and...

but I've gotten so used to raising animals, not smogging my cars, and having my dollar stretch really far.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

but I've gotten so used to raising animals

just live in Corona or Norco or something.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Bob Morales posted:

Mash up some yukon golds (peel half of them), add a cup of chicken drippings then salt and pepper to taste. Glorious.
If you are ever in Paris you would be amiss to pass up the chicken dripping potatoes sold on the street corner rotisseries (all over, lots of 'em near oberkampf and also around rue mouffetarde)...

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

just live in Corona or Norco or something.

A possibility.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Yeah, and it'd be a good job for her, and I'd be able to go back to school full time, and it's better educational opportunities for my boy, and and and...

but I've gotten so used to raising animals, not smogging my cars, and having my dollar stretch really far.

I feel like there is a ton of really good Asian food in that area and most restaurants have "the weird stuff" if you ask. Is there a Ranch 99 in the hood?

This video is really cute, on the subject of weird Asian food:
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wFGCr9KsqUA

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I like mash with skins and green onions in, but nobody else does so I just do traditional butter cream salt white pepper. If I'm on a healthy kick I will sub light stock for the cream. It's pretty much just as good. I don't need that much fat in em anyway because I never do mash if I'm not planning a gravy or pan sauce because why the gently caress else would you want it? You can make the spuds pretty light if you're putting roux-thickened sauce on it.

But the real question is, is it still mashed potatoes if you put beans in it?

Also, I've never understood "salt potatoes."

I can boil potatoes in salt water, but it seems like a waste. I wash potatoes, prick, rub with oil, and coat with kosher salt and pepper and bake. Better potato, better skin, not wasting a ton of salt down the drain. Takes longer though. For the oil you can just use spray fat if you're busy. Bacon fat is of course better if you have on hand and time.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 28, 2014

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You're in luck! There is a Golden Corral in OC.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I feel like there is a ton of really good Asian food in that area and most restaurants have "the weird stuff" if you ask. Is there a Ranch 99 in the hood?

There's excellent Chinese (Sichuan and Shandong especially), mind boggling Vietnamese - both pho joints and places with other specialties - in Little Saigon, excellent Thai (Thai Nakorn is just minutes from Disneyland and nearly the equal of Lotus of Siam), tons of very solid Indian, and some Lao and Cambodian places. Then a few miles over there's Little Arabia with tons of Lebanese and other very specific, equally fantastic cuisines. Add in a plethora of Mexican regions and all of the other tiny communities in OC and you could probably eat from a different country every day for the better part of a year. The food situation is seriously amazing.

therattle posted:

You're in luck! There is a Golden Corral in OC.
Also this. I think they've got a Sizzler there still too, three blocks from Disneyland. And a Bubba Gump's if you want some seafood.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Wiggles if you move to Orange County you have to promise to terrorize all of your neighbors with your rough desert ways.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Alternatively, only ever spend time with Vietnamese and Lao immigrants and eat great food all the time.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Staycation with the boyfriend this weekend... Eating some old favorites and some new joints. Ferry Building farmers market for lunch, (Hapa isn't there on Saturday, boooo) so probably 4505 meats or market food, State Bird Provisions for dinner. Either Alta or Rich Table the other night. I'm gonna sit in a hottub and drink ALLLLLLLL the wine.

Skinny King Pimp
Aug 25, 2011
Skinny Queen Wimp
Oh, btw, I have the formal offer in my hand. Gonna wait on the bottle of champagne for now until my husband is working not retarded hours (his last paycheck had 67 hrs on it, this next one will have 84 + 6 hrs straight time for his apprenticeship classes) so we can go out to dinnner somewhere nice in Athens and maybe get a hotel room for the night.

You guys, I am going to drink so much New Glarus and Capitol City and Central Waters and Lake Louie and all the other fuckin rad Wisconsin beers that you can't get anywhere else and then get some like Pleasant Ridge cheese and Marieke gouda and aw yeah.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

There's tons of good food in the oc, so that'd be an improvement, actually. It's just a weird thought to go back down to the rat race after leaving all those years ago.

But we'll see. She's applied all over California since that seems to be the only state hiring biologists right now, and we still might end up in Kern county for all we know.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Is the voting closed in my ICSA thread?

I was ready to declare winners, but it looks like I can still vote?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
Mrs. (not formally just cohabiting thank you very much) Dane and I just returned from a week on the Canary Islands. Food was pretty much as you'd expect from a tourist town: huge portions (got to get something for our money!); pretty much identical menus and prices up and down the beachfront restaurants; average quality produce/meats; token gestures towards regionality.

But we'd been recommended a place called "La Taberna" by a few people, and reviews seemed universally positive. And as a plus, they had a 20 course slow-food tapas menu consisting of "fantastic, authentic Spanish tapas". We wanted something other than the endless offers of swordfish, sole meuniere and borderline chewy entrecôtes with runny sauce béarnaise, and the slow food (we were told to expect 4 hours + for the dinner) aspect appealed as well - most restaurants there seemed to run you out as soon as you'd finished dessert in order to make space for a second, third or fourth seating.

What we got was - an experience. An experience of the kind that you rarely get. An experience brought to us by what I can only assume was a deranged German chef who trained in 1980s hotel kitchens and had never eaten tapas or pinxos in his life.

Our menu went something like this (from memory, some dishes may be slightly misrepresented or in incorrect order, but it's pretty well burned into my brain):
Bruschetta; Shrimp Cocktail served with a few cold mussles on the shell, endive and thousand island dressing; smoked salmon with pickled cucumbers and a mayo sauce; tuna-stuffed piquillos rellenos; bland shrimp tempura; calf liver paté with red wine pickled onions; smoked duck breast on an orange-flavored coleslaw (mayo-based, of course); cold roast beef; a potato "tortilla" that was more like a dull vegetable timbale; unripened brie with a slice of peach. Then a lemon granita with cava poured over it, intended as a palate cleanser, I guess. Then the hot dishes: a ghoulash style soup; chicken nasi goreng (dry as hell); some warm meat concoction that I forgot; indonesian style sweet and sour beef with pasta. At this point, after 15 dishes, we decided we'd had enough and talked to the nice waiter who suggested we just get one fish dish and then the dessert. We accepted and a full main course-sized portion of gratinated hoki fillets with potato purée and green aspargus arrived. This dish was pretty good. I wouldn't have been upset to receive this at any other restaurant there, but still, it seemed incongruous.

Then dessert arrived.

A huge slab of semi-baked apfelstrudel, heavy on the cardemom and raisins, with vanilla ice cream, chocolate mousse and to top it off, unripe strawberries and a spun sugar garnish.

Hands down the most absurd meal of my life, made even more so by the other diners who were all happy as clams at their tableside service and carving and their 90s throwback, pseudo-fusion dining experience.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Those strawberries look ripe?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

How was the decor? Did it match the food?

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Those strawberries look ripe?

They tasted of hothouse berries, a slight taste of strawberry in the very reddest part, nothing in the rest

Mr. Wiggles posted:

How was the decor? Did it match the food?

It was a cave in the mountain side, allegedly "the last of the traditional cavern restaurants". A lot like sitting in some wine nuts private wine cellar, complete with low ceilings and heavy oaken furniture. I rather liked the decor (excepting the tin goblets for wine; I asked for a regular glass).

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Dane posted:

It was a cave in the mountain side, allegedly "the last of the traditional cavern restaurants". A lot like sitting in some wine nuts private wine cellar, complete with low ceilings and heavy oaken furniture. I rather liked the decor (excepting the tin goblets for wine; I asked for a regular glass).

Aw, I was hoping for teal walls and mauve table runners to really complete the food experience.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Oh, btw, I have the formal offer in my hand. Gonna wait on the bottle of champagne for now until my husband is working not retarded hours (his last paycheck had 67 hrs on it, this next one will have 84 + 6 hrs straight time for his apprenticeship classes) so we can go out to dinnner somewhere nice in Athens and maybe get a hotel room for the night.

You guys, I am going to drink so much New Glarus and Capitol City and Central Waters and Lake Louie and all the other fuckin rad Wisconsin beers that you can't get anywhere else and then get some like Pleasant Ridge cheese and Marieke gouda and aw yeah.

I hate you. If I ever do a road trip I think you just listed 2/3 of the reasons to stop in Wisconsin. So far away :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Skinny King Pimp posted:

:hfive:

I'm celebrating my lack of illness with a Central Waters Peruvian Morning right now.