Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
PERC 5 Controller threw a config mismatch error.

Common solution is to load the config from disk (no disks changed).

Did so, server won't boot now. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I just overheard this:

"Tigerdirect has a deal on off-lease HP 6005's, AMD dual-core..."

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7660758&CatId=2628

Why does he think it's a good idea to buy this poo poo.

Bonus: we don't inventory computers.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

I just overheard this:

"Tigerdirect has a deal on off-lease HP 6005's, AMD dual-core..."

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7660758&CatId=2628

Why does he think it's a good idea to buy this poo poo.

Bonus: we don't inventory computers.

I enjoy this thread more now that I've read enough of it to see a post and then be able to reliably guess in my mind who the poor person is before I look left and check the username.

edit: Those aren't even a good deal.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lot of money for an ancient PC. Could get an OptiPlex 3010 for not much more if you hammer your rep hard enough.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Caged posted:

Lot of money for an ancient PC. Could get an OptiPlex 3010 for not much more if you hammer your rep hard enough.

Buy Dell? LOL. He won't buy Dell.

I've gotten him to buy one Dell server so far. Took me months of fighting with him. He's on the phone right now asking for more details on these piece of poo poo.

"Did you say it has a network card?"

Of course you loving dipshit every PC made in the last ten years has a network card.

He's our loving 'IT Director', he needs to be chipping away at the IT task list with 100+ uncompleted items instead of bulldozing the TigerDirect guy for $9 off on some PC's.

He knows zero about networking and he's asking me DNS questions that make absolutely no sense because we're switching internet providers at 6:00 today.

Bob's Boss: Is that your opinion or is that based upon studies performed. It used to be the case (years ago) that your carrier should be the fastest. I'm not saying I agree, but I'm asking the question.
Bob Morales: We are not using our carrier. They are terrible. Don't you remember we were using Qwest's and they had records that hadn't been updated in months and we had all those email failures?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I had someone try to tell me once that the DNS search suffix was provided by the DNS server as opposed to being manually set on the client or received via a DHCP offer.

Couldn't work out why a statically addresses non domain-joined server needed the FQDN of internal machines to access them.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I just walked by his desk and he's been researching hot tubs all week. He has like 8 tabs open of various hot tubs. I wonder if he's buying from TigerDirect.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bob Morales posted:

I just walked by his desk and he's been researching hot tubs all week. He has like 8 tabs open of various hot tubs. I wonder if he's buying from TigerDirect.

No way, for that sort of thing he's sparing no expense.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pissing me off: someone on my project decided to email some tech support guy's manager directly to tell the manager what a horrible person he is. This might be fine if we were a customer, but we're not: we're a partner, and do lots of business together. Not everyone in both organizations gets along all the time, but the leadership gets along fairly well, and is generally able to resolve things so that everyone ends up happily painting rainbows and unicorns.

poo poo like this just causes a bunch of drama that doesn't fix anything. Why this person can't just ask me or one of the more senior leaders (who are all genuinely approachable) to help solve this problem is beyond me. They'd rather just go off the reservation and start shooting random things.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Inspector_666 posted:

No way, for that sort of thing he's sparing no expense.

I can't imagine the kind of guy who will spend days trying to save a few bucks per machine of someone else's money is willing to spend his own money any faster.

I guess it's either that, or his position is so unnecessary he needs to keep himself completely busy and create all sorts of perceived cost savings to keep justifying his job.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

This guy needs to be loving fired. It sounds like he doesn't have anything to do and if you're still mystified by DNS, you shouldn't be an IT DIRECTOR.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I can't imagine the kind of guy who will spend days trying to save a few bucks per machine of someone else's money is willing to spend his own money any faster.

Two reasons.

First, when he penny-pinches on behalf of the company, he gets accolades and bonuses for "saving money" even if it costs them in the long term (because executives do not think in the long term, by and large). Depending on where your boss falls on the greedy/narcissistic scale, one of these rewards will be more important to him.

Second, with a hot tub, he'll eventually be able to figure out (or at least think he can) how this or that feature of a hot tub will benefit him. "High-velocity jets" well sure spring for that because that water has to get through his layers of fat and ego. If he can't parse "P4" vs. "i7" or whatever (I don't know poo poo about server hardware), he's going to fall back on the cheaper option. And if he's enough of a narcissist, he's not going to ask his subordinates because that would make him look weak and undermine his authority (in his mind, anyway. And that's the only thing that counts to a narcissist).

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.
So my boss emailed this earlier today to everyone.

Boss posted:

To all employees and associates, (because this affects you),

The article below is from yesterday's Houston Chronicle. It talks about 13 companies cutting thousands of jobs due to the terrible economy we are experiencing in America and world wide. There are many more companies laying off employees than this article mentions. Boeing also announced yesterday that they will lay off 500 to 600 employees this month.

The prevailing theme is that "sales have been disappointing" for everybody. We have felt it for the past 13 months, but we have remarkably low overhead and we have the ability to react quicker than most larger companies. We are very fortunate that we have not had to cut any jobs due to the terrible economy.

But, like everyone else, our profits are much smaller than they were just 4 years ago. Every small mistake we make can now easily cost us more than the profit we made on the sale. Of course we are all doing more work now in order to make the same dollar we made 4 years ago. That's the way it works when the national economy is in the toilet.

This is not the time for company parties or raises. This is the time to pay attention and make sure the job is done right the first time… in order to keep our costs down. Think about this… if times get tougher for us, like they have for all the companies mentioned below, who will we choose to lay off and who will we choose to keep? Of course we will keep the people that did the most work without mistakes. We will keep the people that showed up on time every day and did the job they were supposed to do, without causing problems for others. Is that you??????

Now I just started two months ago, but sending this kinda thing, is a red flag to me. Just like the fact he has me order used computers and hard drives for his business off of eBay. This makes me very worried.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Get that CV sorted. I can't talk for the US but 'the economy' isn't a valid thing any more, stuff's picking up.

Sounds like they are trying to get everyone to do extra hours for nothing in return, out of fear for their jobs.

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

AlternateAccount posted:

This guy needs to be loving fired. It sounds like he doesn't have anything to do and if you're still mystified by DNS, you shouldn't be an IT DIRECTOR.

I'm one of two IT people in a 55 person office, the other being my boss the "it director". Yesterday I made a suggestion that we virtualize some old hardly used servers to clear up space in our server room since they're all old rear end tower servers sitting on an old office desk stacked floor to ceiling.

His response was "NO IF WE COMBINE MULTIPLE SERVERS INTO ON THERE IS A BIGGER RISK OF THEM GOING DOWN, TOO RISKY CANT DO IT"

He also asked me the other day what bash was. We have about 100 linux systems in the office...

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.
Things not pissing me off today:

code:
PS C:\> (Get-ADDomain).DomainMode
Windows2008R2Domain
PS C:\>
:toot:

Of course, last I checked it is in fact the year of our lord twenty and fourteen, but I can't find it in me to get pissed at actual, definable progress, slow as it is.

(Edit: it was win2003 last week)

potato of destiny fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 28, 2014

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
It's been a while since I've been to this thread, but one of the Cops got cryptolocker on a computer here and subsequently onto a share. Suddenly management is concerned about security and disaster recovery, so I am curious what the IT bitching thread's current favorite cloud backup solution is?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Return Of JimmyJars posted:

His response was "NO IF WE COMBINE MULTIPLE SERVERS INTO ON THERE IS A BIGGER RISK OF THEM GOING DOWN, TOO RISKY CANT DO IT"

That's a perfectly reasonable response from someone who doesn't know anything about virtualization, backups and planning for those sorts of failures. But not really someone in his position.
That said, if your only upside to spending thousands of dollars was "it would clean things up and clear space," that's a really hard sell and even if you got a more positive response from someone knowledgeable, people that approve the checkbook are gonna go uhhhhhhhhh...

jebrown84 posted:

People that send these sorts of e-mails are just using imaginary circumstances to be bullies and so they feel like they can threaten your job. poo poo changes, people always need to do their jobs well. No one ever sends an e-mail saying PROFITS ARE UP, LET'S ALL JUST CHILLAX A BIT AND THROW MORE PARTIES.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

I'm one of two IT people in a 55 person office, the other being my boss the "it director". Yesterday I made a suggestion that we virtualize some old hardly used servers to clear up space in our server room since they're all old rear end tower servers sitting on an old office desk stacked floor to ceiling.

He also asked me the other day what bash was. We have about 100 linux systems in the office...

From now on answer him in interpretative dance.

poo poo pissing me off today?

I created an update for a product, explicatly told the client it was for Versions 15000 - Anything inbetween.

The VERY loving NEXT EMAIL I GET IS:

"Hey Ratbert90, what versions of ${PRODUCT} does this update work on?"

CatsOnTheInternet
Apr 24, 2013

BEEEEAAOOOORRRRRRRW BEEEBEAAAAAOOOORRWW

AlternateAccount posted:

People that send these sorts of e-mails are just using imaginary circumstances to be bullies and so they feel like they can threaten your job. poo poo changes, people always need to do their jobs well. No one ever sends an e-mail saying PROFITS ARE UP, LET'S ALL JUST CHILLAX A BIT AND THROW MORE PARTIES.

They love firing off emails like these at my company. The best COA, I think, is to ignore them.

I have no personal stake in the company; I'm here to work hard and justify a bigger and bigger salary. It's a mutually beneficial relationship. If one day I'm getting a raw deal, see you later. Email about 'hard times' until you get arthritis, I don't give a poo poo.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

potato of destiny posted:

Things not pissing me off today:

code:
PS C:\> (Get-ADDomain).DomainMode
Windows2008R2Domain
PS C:\>
:toot:

Of course, last I checked it is in fact the year of our lord twenty and fourteen, but I can't find it in me to get pissed at actual, definable progress, slow as it is.

(Edit: it was win2003 last week)

We just did a dry run of 2003 to 2012r2 in a sandbox to prep for our own upgrade. It's going to be nice to actually have DC's I can work off of instead of loading RSAT on to a 2008 member server that doesn't really have any business having the tools in the first place.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Weird OpenDNS issue right now, I'm able to duplicate a customers issue of a site being down by using OpenDNS instead of Google
code:
~$ ping [url]www.swwvl.com[/url]
PING [url]www.xxxxxxxx.com[/url] (67.215.66.132) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from hit-servfail.opendns.com (67.215.66.132): icmp_req=1 ttl=57 time=1.59 ms
64 bytes from hit-servfail.opendns.com (67.215.66.132): icmp_req=2 ttl=57 time=1.79 ms
^C
--- [url]www.xxxxxxx.com[/url] ping statistics ---
2 packets transmitted, 2 received, 0% packet loss, time 1001ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 1.597/1.693/1.790/0.104 ms
~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 208.67.222.222
nameserver 208.67.220.220
~$ su
Password:
root@opti:/home/robert# echo "nameserver 8.8.8.8" > /etc/resolv.conf
root@opti:/home/robert# echo "nameserver 8.8.4.4" >> /etc/resolv.conf
root@opti:/home/robert# ping [url]www.swwvl.com[/url]
PING [url]www.xxxxxx.com[/url] (63.x.x.x) 56(84) bytes of data.
^C
--- [url]www.xxxxxx.com[/url] ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 3022ms
It's configured to not ping but it at least resolves correctly.

edit: it's not OpenDNS it's enom which is who we have the domain registered with, they are having issues. gently caress.

https://twitter.com/enom/status/439458367363227648

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 28, 2014

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
Holy poo poo I :yotj:'d!

Promoted to Sr. Network Admin today. I went into my yearly review explaining how the team basically was toxic with very little accountability for those who had the "I need to be told what to do at all times" mentality.

I like my boss. I don't want to quit. I informed him of this, as well as that I was sympathetic to the fact that he had no time to micromanage certain lemmings in the group (causing the toxicity).

So, I threw it down:

1.) I've been a regular Admin for years now, and I need to seriously start thinking supervisor/management roles or I'll be stuck being a CJ forever (or until I'm too old to be employable).
2.) With a little hierarchical weight, I can keep the lemmings moving. If they refuse the move, I can get poo poo documented so the boss can finally get rid of them.
3.) In the interest of myself and the company, I should be a Sr. Network Admin. "Just give me the title and I'll get to work."

Boss smiled, nodded, then flipped a paper over...

"Request for promotion

Employee: Lord Dudeguy
Title: Sr. Network Administrator
Signed: Boss
Approved: CFO"

Plus a mighty bump in pay. The house is now mine. :black101:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

jebrown84 posted:

Now I just started two months ago, but sending this kinda thing, is a red flag to me. Just like the fact he has me order used computers and hard drives for his business off of eBay. This makes me very worried.

Time to get the gently caress out.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Lord Dudeguy posted:

"Request for promotion

That is straight up awesome.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Holy poo poo I :yotj:'d!

Promoted to Sr. Network Admin today. I went into my yearly review explaining how the team basically was toxic with very little accountability for those who had the "I need to be told what to do at all times" mentality.

I like my boss. I don't want to quit. I informed him of this, as well as that I was sympathetic to the fact that he had no time to micromanage certain lemmings in the group (causing the toxicity).

So, I threw it down:

1.) I've been a regular Admin for years now, and I need to seriously start thinking supervisor/management roles or I'll be stuck being a CJ forever (or until I'm too old to be employable).
2.) With a little hierarchical weight, I can keep the lemmings moving. If they refuse the move, I can get poo poo documented so the boss can finally get rid of them.
3.) In the interest of myself and the company, I should be a Sr. Network Admin. "Just give me the title and I'll get to work."

"Request for promotion

Employee: Lord Dudeguy
Title: Sr. Network Administrator
Signed: Boss
Approved: CFO"

Plus a mighty bump in pay. The house is now mine. :black101:

In the words of my friend: "loving Boss!"

That is some seriously sweet poo poo to see on a Friday. I sort of feel like I'm in a similar spot at work - both of the guys we hired to fill vacancies are very passive, so I have to rouse them up and get them moving on things, which wouldn't be so bad but: a) they've been here long enough to know that there's always poo poo to do and to be pro-active about stuff; b) I'm a junior admin just like them; and c) I'm not their boss.

Unfortunately what this all means is that our actual boss usually just tosses everything at me, so while I'm busting my balls trying to get everything done that's on my plate they're sitting around surfing the web. We did patching last night, and of course the assistant team lead assigned me the trickiest of the servers to patch (which he'd been patching before, but he had other things to work on). I go over to talk to him about how the poo poo jobs are supposed to go to the low guys on the totem pole and he agrees, but then he adds "but I have absolutely no trust that <New Guy #1> wouldn't gently caress it up."

I'm pretty sure the team lead and assistant team lead know that my coworkers are not acting as net contributors and that I've washed my hands of trying to bring them up to speed, and I'm also certain they're worried that I might jump over to another team or take another job. It's tempting, but there are some perks of the work I do, and frankly as long as I don't have to keep propping up the others I'll be a lot happier. I told the assistant team lead that it's time for the new guys to sink or swim - don't baby them, and don't avoid handing them the tough tasks. If they gently caress it up then maybe they'll start paying closer attention to details, or they'll decide it's too much and leave. Either way is a win in my book.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

AlternateAccount posted:

And yet there's no shortage of IT Directors who can't even spell DNS, let alone understand it.

jebrown84
Aug 27, 2005

Help me Johnny Boy you're my only hope.

stubblyhead posted:

Time to get the gently caress out.

Yeah I'll be working on my resume this week. Now to figure out what to tell potential future employers about why I left. This is my first IT job in a few years and I thought I was finally back on track with my career. Oh well.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

jebrown84 posted:

Yeah I'll be working on my resume this week. Now to figure out what to tell potential future employers about why I left. This is my first IT job in a few years and I thought I was finally back on track with my career. Oh well.

Just tell them that there wasn't any opportunity to advance your career/skillset. That's the most diplomatic and neutral answer.

Or just say they were downsizing, since it sounds like they want to do it anyway.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

airplane rule: n.
“Complexity increases the possibility of failure; a twin-engine airplane has twice as many engine problems as a single-engine airplane.” By analogy, in both software and electronics, the rule that simplicity increases robustness. It is correspondingly argued that the right way to build reliable systems is to put all your eggs in one basket, after making sure that you've built a really good basket.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The number of companies who are too lazy to update to Windows 7 APIs for language and region settings. Windows is clearly set to English, yet:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

jebrown84 posted:

The conventional wisdom is that leaving a job after just a few months isn't that big a deal to potential hiring managers. Sometimes things just aren't a good fit, and it takes a little while to figure that out. I'd say around six months is the max you could pull that off, though.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

stubblyhead posted:

The conventional wisdom is that leaving a job after just a few months isn't that big a deal to potential hiring managers. Sometimes things just aren't a good fit, and it takes a little while to figure that out. I'd say around six months is the max you could pull that off, though.

I think you mean minimum?

Anyways, I've only been at my current job for 3 and a half months. It was pretty dreadful and the pay was poo poo for the skillset- so I found another one. They didn't seem to have any issues with how briefly I had been working here.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Malkar posted:

I think you mean minimum?

Anyways, I've only been at my current job for 3 and a half months. It was pretty dreadful and the pay was poo poo for the skillset- so I found another one. They didn't seem to have any issues with how briefly I had been working here.

No, I meant maximum. As in, there is a tenure range where you can look for a new job without raising eyebrows, and six months is the maximum of that range.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

MrMoo posted:

The number of companies who are too lazy to update to Windows 7 APIs for language and region settings.

There are probably more companies that manage to push out apps that end up half-English half-other language than do it properly (especially fun when you've downloaded the "US" version of the driver/app rather than the "multilingual" or regionalised version)

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ookiimarukochan posted:

There are probably more companies that manage to push out apps that end up half-English half-other language than do it properly (especially fun when you've downloaded the "US" version of the driver/app rather than the "multilingual" or regionalised version)

I don't get why Brother has me pick the language I want 2+ times per download/install.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

stubblyhead posted:

No, I meant maximum. As in, there is a tenure range where you can look for a new job without raising eyebrows, and six months is the maximum of that range.

Unless of course you've done it 4 times in a row at which point you immediately wonder which of the 2 parties is guilty.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Dudley posted:

Unless of course you've done it 4 times in a row at which point you immediately wonder which of the 2 parties is guilty.

Yeah, after the first one you'd better think long and hard about what your deal-breakers really are and what (and how much) you can live with. That's why "how do you evaluate your developers" is one of the questions I now must have a concrete and definite answer to before I move very far in an application process.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
poo poo that comes across yearly that pisses you off: filling out my performance review and I'm staring at a blank page wanting to blow my loving brains out.

And I had a GOOD year :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

NZAmoeba posted:

poo poo that comes across yearly that pisses you off: filling out my performance review and I'm staring at a blank page wanting to blow my loving brains out.

And I had a GOOD year :suicide:
I got my recent performance review, and because I happen to make a bit more than a lot of members of the team who could probably stand to make more, and since the raises are (totally not no we swear they're not based on them but they really are) based on the performance review, I got savaged on the hard numbers of my performance review, but all of the comments on the review and from my boss are glowing. I can not reconcile the kinds of positive things my boss was saying about me with "meets expectations". Sigh.