Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Vulpes posted:

I wonder how they plan to implement crafting additional claim flags and upkeep costs, given there's no currency in the game yet.

I noticed in the last update they added some kind of gold-counter to the inventory UI, and materials now have values listed in the rollover tooltip. If I had to guess, you'll probably be able to trade materials in exchange for gold somehow.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
It'd be rad if gold was mined and minted by players instead of just conjured from nothing like in most games.

No I don't have any idea how to implement this, shut up.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch
So I know :soe: and all but man, this could be really good, couldn't it?

Harettazetta
Jul 22, 2006

"Well, what choice do I have!? Trust is for fools! Fear is the only reliable way!"
Attempted to request a refund after being largely unable to cope with the ridiculous Alpha lag. My ticket has been open for nine days. :v:

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Harettazetta posted:

Attempted to request a refund after being largely unable to cope with the ridiculous Alpha lag. My ticket has been open for nine days. :v:

Mine was resolved after minutes.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Noah posted:

Yes. It looks good.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Noah posted:

Worst-case scenario manufacturing itt

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Yes. It looks good.

Honestly, after being burned once or twice by MMOs (SWG, WAR) I've gotten a pretty good eye for this sort of thing, and while other games like FFXIV pre-ARR, TSW, and the upcoming ESO have sort of trumpeted their inevitable failures, SOE has managed to get all the way to Alpha without giving off anything other than "this poo poo is going to rule".

spacemarine1999
Nov 26, 2013

The memory
of this experience
will fade
I bought the thing when it was announced, tried it for a few days and decided to get a refund pretty early.

So see you upon release, just wanted to let everyone know that refunding was quick and painless for me.

CupBoy
Aug 7, 2002

It's a bloody cup.
Here's a complete list of crafting recipes: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9UnPHpRxh6ETkZKV1JPenZ1R1E&usp=sharing#list

Including stuff that isn't actually available yet, e.g. sickles, buckets, pulverizers, and more.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
I hope I am able to log on fast enough after next week's patch to get a good claim on one of the new islands. Any word on the two new biomes yet? Lavastorm-ish and snow?

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

CupBoy posted:

Here's a complete list of crafting recipes: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9UnPHpRxh6ETkZKV1JPenZ1R1E&usp=sharing#list

Including stuff that isn't actually available yet, e.g. sickles, buckets, pulverizers, and more.

LOL at 600 striped wood planks for the alchemy table. I better get some scotch guard for my shoes so all my tears don't ruin them.

CupBoy
Aug 7, 2002

It's a bloody cup.

Sancho posted:

LOL at 600 striped wood planks for the alchemy table. I better get some scotch guard for my shoes so all my tears don't ruin them.

Chop chop! :f5:

I figure the recipes for the unreleased stuff are subject to change.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Sancho posted:

1,600 Mithril Ingots is completely ridiculous as well. I'm guessing both these numbers will come down a lot once the table is actually in-game.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Vulpes posted:

1,600 Mithril Ingots is completely ridiculous as well. I'm guessing both these numbers will come down a lot once the table is actually in-game.

If their marketing plans are to be believed, the resource costs for everything will get lower then they currently are. And the progression will instead be gated by some sort of achievement system.

Source: here

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

How about some micro voxels

That's pretty awesome, from someone on the outside looking in.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
SOE has unveiled an overview of their "business plan" to the public:

The Business of EQN Landmark

Looks pretty good to me. I see a few people on the official forums crying about buying resources with real money, but as long as farming materials on your own time remains a viable method of getting resources then I'm fine with it. Cash shop MMOs do this kind of thing all the time with experience potions being sold in the eshop, so paying for shortcuts to advancing isn't anything new.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

Tom Guycot posted:

I would love to make neriak

Only if we do the one bar with the stripper club first.

I need some hot hot ogre stripper action.

E: I know it has been said before but do /join EQNLGoons we all chat in there and it has been lonely lately

E2:

Saw people are building giant poo poo. This pissed me off and seeing as I don't have enough room to work on unrest I decided I need to kill giant poo poo.

Climbing up the hill to my plot You can see my growing displeasure.:

I really like its glowing firey eye:

The right side tubes need some work and doing curves is a BITCH. especially when around a sphere. But for a few hours of work and my first time attempting it I'm happyish. I still have a lot of the Zaku II body to go though.

Overhead View: You can still see a glow in the red eye a bit.

Al Borland fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Feb 28, 2014

CupBoy
Aug 7, 2002

It's a bloody cup.

Droid Washington posted:

SOE has unveiled an overview of their "business plan" to the public:

The Business of EQN Landmark

Looks pretty good to me. I see a few people on the official forums crying about buying resources with real money, but as long as farming materials on your own time remains a viable method of getting resources then I'm fine with it. Cash shop MMOs do this kind of thing all the time with experience potions being sold in the eshop, so paying for shortcuts to advancing isn't anything new.

Just because it isn't new doesn't mean it isn't lovely and horrible. What does it say about mechanics of the game if they want people to pay money to skip it?

kxZyle
Nov 7, 2012

Pillbug

quote:

Currently, our progression game is limited by resources, so selling those resources may seem like we’re allowing you to pay for power. But our current game progression is not the intended real progression. Very soon, you’ll only need handfuls of resources to make picks and other tools. Tool and item progression will be limited by activities completed and achievements gained… not by resources.

As someone who's already bored of the resource grind, I consider this excellent news.

itsnice2bnice
Mar 21, 2010

CupBoy posted:

Just because it isn't new doesn't mean it isn't lovely and horrible. What does it say about mechanics of the game if they want people to pay money to skip it?

Is says that some people value their time more than their money. It doesn't necessarily mean that whatever you can pay money for to speed along is awful. Is levelling in Guild Wars 2 a terrible grind because they sell experience boosters that allow you to level faster? Not really.

Although I agree that gathering resources is a boring grind ATM, but it will probably be a lot more fun when the flat tiered islands are gone and they've implemented combat and enviromental dangers. They're also changing the progression system for tools and items to depend less heavily on resource grinding as well.

Although I'm a little cautious about whatever their pricing will be since the items in the Trailblazer and Explorer pack don't seem to be worth the money IMO.

Huttan
May 15, 2013

Sancho posted:

Well, at least that is something I have. Not like stinking burled wood. I'm glad I didn't turn them into shingles for the roof.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

CupBoy posted:

People are lazy and will pay for stupid poo poo. You should be thankful for that. It will keep the servers running for you to keep playing it even when you are not paying a monthly fee.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
Have they said when they are planning on adding caves?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I went ahead and bought into alpha and I got "holy poo poo this is actually an MMO" the first time I dug a cave, first time I started building stuff on my claim, and the first time I rotated the map and realized it was a real-time 3D model with depth. Whether this is a good game or not I hope this changes how people make video games. I'm already impressed.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

signalnoise posted:

I went ahead and bought into alpha and I got "holy poo poo this is actually an MMO" the first time I dug a cave, first time I started building stuff on my claim, and the first time I rotated the map and realized it was a real-time 3D model with depth. Whether this is a good game or not I hope this changes how people make video games. I'm already impressed.

It is fun, I think everyone is just waiting for that second claim.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Al Borland posted:

It is fun, I think everyone is just waiting for that second claim.

I just mean like on a technical level. We've all heard the phrase "destructible terrain" but outside stuff like Minecraft and some tech-demo scale poo poo I'd never heard of anyone seriously using voxels. I was kind of skeptical even having watched videos, but I mean you can say "minecraft did it" but minecraft didn't do it and look good doing it. And then there's the moment you go to build something and realize that the voxels you were picking away at actually get much more granular, and then there's the first time I picked the "sphere" shape. And then there's selecting pieces of poo poo you built to duplicate it, and it all still looks good. It reminds me of when I took a look out over a cliff in Vanguard for the first time and was like "my draw distance is what?" I'm really hoping this leads to a paradigm shift in game world design.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Yeah, when they said this was going to be the next generation of MMO, they weren't kidding. I just hope the gameplay can live up to the engine's potential.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I'm sure most of you had better things to do then watch the live stream tonight; but I didn't so here are some of the highlights:
  • Craftable adjacent claim expansions - crafted at stone forge and you can place two after tomorrows patch, more in the future. Will probably break when people expand into peoples claims that are under theirs.
  • Two new biomes, Tundra and Scurry Forest. Tundra adds snow and ice textures, and the scary forest thing has trees with faces and misty appearance or something.
  • 12 new islands per server, 4 for each tier 1 - 3.

Later down the line we will be able to place claims near friend claims. There will be the option to harvest trees and plants whole to place on claims. Permissions should be back in next week.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

If you started a claim and you left it a half finished piece of garbage you're a bad person.

Also free the pulverizer, I need more stucco or whatever.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

xutech posted:

If you started a claim and you left it a half finished piece of garbage you're a bad person.

Also free the pulverizer, I need more stucco or whatever.

Pulverizer doesn't generate resources, it destroys the ground so you can get through hills and stuff quickly. It's still alpha and that toy hasn't been released yet, just what was mentioned during their live stream a couple weeks ago.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

HughGRect posted:

Scurry Forest. Tundra adds snow and ice textures, and the scary forest thing has trees with faces and misty appearance or something.
[*]12 new islands per server, 4 for each tier 1 - 3.
[/list]

Welp time to movie.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Yup. I packed up my claim and logged out at a spire. Hopefully there will still be some good spots left when I'm able to login.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Where? lets try and move to the same neighbourhood at least.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

xutech posted:

Where? lets try and move to the same neighbourhood at least.

is there a name list? Lets make it a T3 on serenity.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Al Borland posted:

is there a name list? Lets make it a T3 on serenity.

Abyss (Tier 1) – Old Growth Forest & Tundra
Barrier (Tier 1) – Old Growth Forest & Tundra
Channel (Tier 1) – Old Growth Forest & Tundra
Shield (Tier 1) – Old Growth Forest & Tundra
Cave (Tier 2) – Old Growth Forest & Tundra
Kettle (Tier 2) – Old Growth Forest & Tundra
Spine (Tier 2) – Old Growth Forest & Tundra
Valley (Tier 2) – Tropical Jungle & Old Growth Forest
Gully (Tier 3) – Old Growth Forest & Tundra
Stump (Tier 3) – Old Growth Forest & Tundra
Tube (Tier 3) – Old Growth Forest & Tundra
Tunnel (Tier 3) – Tropical & Tundra

Stump sounds like a winner.

Edit: Update Notes

Edit Edit: Claim Stuff

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Georgeson is tweeting some interesting stuff about add-on claims while waiting for the servers to come up. Your add-on claim has to be touching your initial claim, but you can build a third claim then delete the in-between one. You can eventually have a total of 9 claims (1 initial + 8 add-on) but they are starting with 2 add-ons. They all have to be within the buffer zone of your initial claim. You can even make add-on claims up in the air.

I can't wait to see what people make.

Edit: clarified that the 9 claims is the eventual goal.

grrarg fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Mar 7, 2014

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012
I can't wait to see what happens when someone expands into an existing claim. That little bug-sploit that lets claims ignore the vertical boundaries should make for some fun times.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Is there a way for me to get the hella rare resources even though my claim is on a Tier 1 island

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Is there a way for me to get the hella rare resources even though my claim is on a Tier 1 island

In the future (like post beta/release time) all resources will be on all islands, just at different layers in the ground. Kinda like Minecraft, have to dig down to get the better tiers.

But currently you need to travel to different islands to find the resources you want; then return to your claim and build away.

Edit: Also during alpha the resources will always be on the surface, nothing below something like 10m under the ground.

\/ \/ \/Edit Edit: They didn't mention anything about adding new tiers of resources, but they did add snow and ice to the tundra biome that can be used on other claims. I think they mentioned something about a new rock texture as well.

Variable Haircut fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 7, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
What new resources are available in the new biomes? The patch notes weren't very specific.

• Locked thread