Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
(Assertively)We are going to be the next Man U of Soccer and we have a Youth barn? Upgrade the drat thing!

(Pondering) Also, considering our bank, how far off are we from getting a new stadium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Aww, you scared Ersatz Daniel Levy off.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Just started reading the thread a few days ago and its been compelling enough for me to blaze through it - I'm really enjoying the story and rivalry with Tackleford, the random firing has been great for the LP!

My only trouble is that its been hard to keep track of the players and who is who, aside from some of the particular stars. That and not being too versed in the game makes the ideas of different midfielders and play setups a bit to get used to.

Question about the youth facilities: Do better youth facilities increase the chance of players reaching their potential, increase their potential overall, or just make them do better? Or is it some aggregate of that?

Still, A, upgrade that barn!

Finally, does the game do North American stuff like MLS? I'd be curious to how the Toronto team was doing!

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

Just started reading the thread a few days ago and its been compelling enough for me to blaze through it - I'm really enjoying the story and rivalry with Tackleford, the random firing has been great for the LP!

My only trouble is that its been hard to keep track of the players and who is who, aside from some of the particular stars. That and not being too versed in the game makes the ideas of different midfielders and play setups a bit to get used to.

Question about the youth facilities: Do better youth facilities increase the chance of players reaching their potential, increase their potential overall, or just make them do better? Or is it some aggregate of that?

Still, A, upgrade that barn!

Finally, does the game do North American stuff like MLS? I'd be curious to how the Toronto team was doing!

It appears the game has soccer leagues from multiple countries, so I'd say yea it does.

Now that I think about it I am interested too. I want to see how DC United is doing

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
It's looking good for my guess of +21 points on Tackleford. :allears:

Also voting for upgrading our lovely barn.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Upgrade the poo poo out of that thing. Let's start the kickback bidding war!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

There's a few different areas.

Improving your youth recruiting increases the potential of the prospects you produce.

Improving your junior coaching makes the players better when they are taken into your U18 youth system at 15-16, but doesn't change their potential.

Improving the youth training facilities quickens the rate at which your U18 players develop, as does good U18 coaches.

So, for example, with very good youth recruiting you'll get players with high potential. With very good junior coaching they'll come into the U18 league as better players than if they didn't have good junior coaching. And with very good U18 facilities and coaches they'll improve quickly and be ready for a spot in your senior team sooner.

And yeah, they have the MLS, though I don't have it turned on right now. The Montreal Impact have won three of the last four cups, with Real Salt Lake winning the fourth. Toronto has finished 5th, 5th, 7th, 13th, and 11th since the start of 2013, while DC United went 9th, 18th, 15th, 6th, and 8th.

eta: when I first played FM a few years ago I started as the coach of the New England Revolution. The wage structure of MLS teams is bizarre, and the whole thing is entirely unlike playing a European club. Everything I thought I learned about the financial side of the game went overboard as soon as I started playing a European club.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Feb 28, 2014

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
gently caress yeah Montreal.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Of course we upgrade the barn.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

Improving your junior coaching makes the players better when they are taken into your U18 youth system at 15-16, but doesn't change their potential.

Improving the youth training facilities quickens the rate at which your U18 players develop, as does good U18 coaches.

This is probably a stupid question, but by U18 do you mean all players under the age of 18, or just players in the U18 team?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

habeasdorkus posted:

eta: when I first played FM a few years ago I started as the coach of the New England Revolution. The wage structure of MLS teams is bizarre, and the whole thing is entirely unlike playing a European club. Everything I thought I learned about the financial side of the game went overboard as soon as I started playing a European club.

Oh? That is interesting, could you expand on that a little bit? I have little knowledge about how Football is organized on the other side of the Atlantic. Are there really no relegations in MLS?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The U18 team. Players who are too young for that haven't been created by the game, players who are under 18 but not on the U18 team are training with the senior team at their facilities and with their coaches.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Oh? That is interesting, could you expand on that a little bit? I have little knowledge about how Football is organized on the other side of the Atlantic. Are there really no relegations in MLS?

None! And even crazier, every team is owned by MLS. It's basically one big organization that franchises out teams to the "owners." So when they talk about Beckham bringing a club to Miami what they're really saying is that he'll be the guy running the club but that it will still be a part of the MLS umbrella.

MLS is a decent league, I think a team of MLS all-stars would have a pretty good chance of staying up in the Premier League*, but it's a very different beast on the financial and structure side than other football leagues.

* The best MLS team transplanted to the Premier League would almost certainly get relegated, though.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

And yeah, they have the MLS, though I don't have it turned on right now. The Montreal Impact have won three of the last four cups, with Real Salt Lake winning the fourth. Toronto has finished 5th, 5th, 7th, 13th, and 11th since the start of 2013, while DC United went 9th, 18th, 15th, 6th, and 8th.

Ah dammit :( DC United kicked so much rear end too.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
A.

I'm pleased to see that my reign atop the United Kingdom's Greatest Club continues. :smug: The people have spoken, and they say corruption Wrexham today, corruption Wrexham forever!

As for MLS, allegedly a big part of why there's no promotion/relegation is that I seem to remember there are issues with how franchises are licensed that create issues with that. I don't know jack poo poo about laws, though.

It also probably has something to do with the fact we're trying to build a system from pretty much scratch to compete with the Big Four leagues (NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB), and not many of our teams have the history needed to cultivate a fanbase that would support teams in the lower division.

ThePenIsMightier
Dec 21, 2009
A.

Unsurprisingly, your focus on youth has been a real positive for the team. As a self-appointed financial auditor, I'm excited to see the 2M sale go through. It should give you plenty of leeway to upgrade, so it gets my vote.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
A. Good show bringing in some money for the team, but drat your bones for letting that thief Sky Shadowing rig another election.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Mad Wack posted:

Adrat your bones for letting that thief Sky Shadowing rig another election.

Exactly. I paid good money for that election, and to be rejected like this is just not in the spirit of football club ownership.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Thanks for the info! I wondered that in a world where England has been so unusually good, maybe Toronto might have an actual winning team! No such luck though.

Montreal dominating is a reasonable compromise for me though.

habeasdorkus posted:

The U18 team. Players who are too young for that haven't been created by the game, players who are under 18 but not on the U18 team are training with the senior team at their facilities and with their coaches.

Does that mean if you don't focus on your U18 team you don't really need to invest in youth facilities? Similarly, is it possible to raise potential players through training them with the senior team and avoid facility investment but still be able to foster enough player growth?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Can U18 facilities pay for themselves if you're diligent enough in signing and selling all the kids that come through it?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

A Upgrade the that youth barn to a stables!

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

tarbrush posted:

Exactly. I paid good money for that election, and to be rejected like this is just not in the spirit of football club ownership.

I got robbed in the last election. Guess that's what I get for trying to do it the legal way...

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Chapter the Eighth: The unstoppable force.
February 1, 2018-March 11, 2018

We're on a heck of a streak right now. We're unbeaten in our last twelve league matches, and that's catapulted us to second place. We did have two draws to close out January, the important thing is to not have a late slump that forces us into the promotion playoffs.

Still lookin' good.

Hey, I was backing you up! Us managers have to stick together against the tosspots brilliant and munificent folk who make up our boards.

At Stevenage, February 3, 2018
League One

We can beat the bottom team on the table, right? This is a match between the hottest team in League One and the coldest, we're unbeaten for thirteen games now and Stevenage hasn't won in fourteen. All evidence augers for a big victory for our dragons.

Starting Formation: 4-5-1 Attack
Starting 11: Higgs, Tench, Todd, Lewis, Smissen, Simpson (c), Holland, Bailey, Coulson, Mujkic, Harrison.
Subs: Taylor, Peters, Curran, Harper, Rainey, Gorman, Price.

Our Dragons like quick goals. Once again it's Mateo Mujkic with a goal in the opening minutes, this specimen coming just 70 seconds into the game. We continue to press our advantage in the pouring rain, and Harrison earns a penalty when he's hacked down in front of the goal. Mujkic scores from the spot, and we're up two-nil. We continue to earn opportunities, but can't score for a third time, while our defense stifles Stevenage and holds them to just one shot through 70 minutes. They attempt to atone for their terrible play late in the second half, but it's too little, too late, and we walk away with a well earned victory.

Man of the Match: Meteor Mujkic.

Stevenage 0-2 Wrexham

Actually, if we beat Sunderland we're clear at the top of the table by a point. If we'd had gotten the draw we deserved when we played them last fall, and hadn't gotten screwed with our pants on by the ref, we'd currently be atop the table on goal differential.

And Harrison gets even more dangerous. He's got a limited skillset, but he's brilliant at what he does.

Thanks to our strong run of play since November we've seldom gone a week without at least one player earning team of the week honors. This time it's Mujkic. He's at 11 goals and 8 assists in 24 league games, and is in a dogfight with Bailey and Harrison to be considered our player of the year.

Yes, let the hate flow through you.

vs. Sunderland, February 10, 2018
League One

We win this game, and we're a point ahead of Sunderland in the league. We lose, and we're four points down. Let's not lose.

Starting 11: Higgs, Tench, Todd, Lewis, Simpson (c), Holland, Bailey, Coulson, Mujkic, Harrison.
Subs: Taylor, Peters, Poole, Harper, Gorman, Rainey, Price.

We have our chances, and fail to convert them. William Harrison and Michael Coulson are our biggest goats, missing easy chances. Our defense plays very well and holds Sunderland to just four shots, only one of which is on target. In the end we draw. It's not a horrible result but disappointing given how much better a team we were today. It also means that we don't pick up precious points on the Black Cats in our best chance to hurt them while helping us.

Wrexham 0-0 Sunderland

How are we not expected to challenge for the title? We're two points off with fifteen games to play.

We haven't lost a match since we crashed out of the JPT to Rochdale on December 13th. We haven't lost a league match since losing to Bournemouth on November 18th. We've drawn three of our last four matches, though, against the 1st, 5th, and 19th placed teams.

You're a backup. Knock it off.

Someone's not getting their contract renewed.

Unacceptable.

If it happens again, I'm cutting you from the squad.

There's a decent chance he leaves this next transfer window, he's been more insistent about leaving since Tottenham made their offer.

It's that time again. Can we sweep the season series with Tackleford?

I also pointed out that despite their massive wages, Phillips still hasn't delivered anything since the guys I brought into their team were replaced by his signings.

At Tackleford City, February 17, 2018
League One

It's always fun to watch your rivals struggle. Tackleford's got a -5 goal differential and are in 16th place. Ed Phillips is finally coming under fire for underachieving. Let's go rub some salt into those wounds.

Starting Formation: 4-5-1 Defense
Starting 11: Higgs, Tench, Lewis, Poole, Smissen, Simpson (c), Holland, Bailey, Gorman, Mujkic, Harrison.
Subs: Taylor, Peters, Curran, Harper, Price, Rainey, Coulson.

Tackleford scores a goal in the 16th minute and beats us around for most of the game. William Harrison shows why he's not in the running for my favorite Dragon by missing several chances to pull us level, and I'm forced to pull him for Coulson. That saves the match for us, Coulson scores six minutes after being subbed on, but it still ends in a draw where we passed up multiple opportunities to win. It's far better than losing, and it must gall the Tackleford fans that they can't beat us on their home turf, but it doesn't help our position in the league.

Tackleford 1-1 Wrexham

We've played on worse, there's just no excuse for our failure to win that match.

Nope. You signed that contract, you can live with it.

vs. Swindon, February 24, 2018
League One

We haven't lost the last few games, but we certainly haven't been playing well. It's time to get back to the form that made us promotion favorites. Swindon is featuring Luke Reid, hopefully he's in one of his regular slumps and allows us several goals.

Starting 11: Higgs, Lewis, Poole, Smissen, Simpson (c), Holland, Bailey, Rainey, Mujkic, Harrison.
Subs: Taylor, Peters, Todd, Harper, Price, Gorman, Coulson.

Mark Holland gets hammered a dozen minutes in, his day is done. William Harrison opens scoring when he finds the net for the first time in several games in 18th minute. We can't knock in a companion to Harrison's goal, but we do limit Swindon to a single shot after 45 minutes. It's not a bad start to the game, but my desire for more goals is sated when we get a double salvo from Rainey and Mujkic to put us up three-nil before ten minutes pass in the second half. Our captain Simpson takes a knock, and we're in trouble if both he and Holland miss significant time, but other than a consolation goal we see the match out and win handily. Luke Reid puts forth his most Luke Reid performance, and earns a 6.0 rating. We're now one point back of Sunderland, and six up on Bournemouth.

Man of the Match: Billy “the Kid” Harrison.

Wrexham 3-1 Swindon

Not the worst injury, and Simpson's only out for a handful of days with a dead leg. That could have been much worse.

I don't think you guys would be that satisfied if I crashed out of the promotion playoffs at this point.

Good to see Bailey get back into the Team of the Week, our “slump” coincided with him being unspectacular, his average rating is all the way down to 7.35.

He's not had a good season, but I still appreciate the boost he gave us in getting promoted last year.

At Rotherham, March 3, 2018
League One

A battle between the teams at the penultimate ends of the table. Rotherham has the home field advantage, but we should be keeping pace with Sunderland and taking all three points here.

Starting 11: Higgs, Peters, Todd, Poole, Smissen, Harper, Shirra, Bailey, Gorman, Mujkic, Harrison (c).
Subs: Taylor, Tench, Lewis, Simpson, Price, Rainey, Coulson.

Justin Bailey puts us on top with his fifth goal of the season. Shortly thereafter Billy the Kid has a miss that leaves him shamefaced. Rotherham embarrass themselves on an opportunity to equalize, and when it comes back around to Harrison he does not miss. Bailey is back to being a boss, and we're back to dominating the games we're supposed to.

Man of the Match: Justin Bailey

Rotherham 0-2 Wrexham

We were playing in New York City?! Oh... wait.

We're unstoppable! Sure we're not winning games a ton of games, but we're not losing any.

vs. Burton Albion, March 10, 2018
League One

One more win keeps us undefeated for two updates in a row! Burton's a decent team, but if we play well we should once again win.

Starting Formation: 4-5-1 Attack.
Starting 11: Higgs, Tench, Lewis, Poole, Thomas, Harper, Simpson (c), Bailey, Coulson, Mujkic, Harrison.
Subs: Taylor, Peters, Todd, Shirra, Price, Rainey, Gorman.

Burton has two great chances out of the gate, but Tench gets the and Harrison makes them pay on the break. Instead of being down, we're ahead. Poor Daniel Thomas has been glued to the bench most of the season, and in his first start in months he goes down injured in 35th minute. The Brewers equalize in the 65th minute, and I bring Price and Shirra on. We have gobs of chances at the end of the game, but none of them result in a goal, and we've got yet another draw to show for our poor finishing.

Wrexham 1-1 Burton

Poor Thomas. He finally gets into a game again and gets knocked out for most of the rest of the season.

We went undefeated again, so I can't complain that much. Still, I really hope we're not missing those points when the season ends. I don't think we will. We might not win the league title, but we're six points up on third with 11 games to go. Before we reach the end of the season, though, it's youth intake time. I've got a 1.7 million pound transfer kitty, and I'm looking for the very best talent in the British Isles to come to our club. We're down to just six real prospects in our youth team right now, and I'm going to fix that problem.

jerman999
Apr 26, 2006

This is a lex imperfecta
Loving these fast updates.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

I wager the rest of the season will happen pretty quick. I've got three more planned updates, and we're in the part of the season where things move quickly.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Man, I was expecting Tackleford to be less shite and us to be...well, more shite when I picked a +4 point difference. We're almost 30 ahead now. Holy mother of gently caress this is a good season.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Dias posted:

Man, I was expecting Tackleford to be less shite and us to be...well, more shite when I picked a +4 point difference. We're almost 30 ahead now. Holy mother of gently caress this is a good season.

Yeah, the turnaround on both sides is pretty astonishing. I wouldn't have figured that Uncle Bazza's club would end up having a chance at overtaking Tackleford this season, and us flying to the god drat moon and beyond on a meteor is excellent as well.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
So many draws; but at least they give us points!

Do both #1 and #2 move up automatically to the next league up?

Kingal
May 29, 2013
yeah. it changes from league to league and division to division but it is rather handily colour coded in football manager.

1st and 2nd place have a green background signifying automatic promotion, this means if we get one of these spots after the 46 games in the season we are promoted and wont have to play any playoff games.

The places with the orange background (in this case 3rd to 6th) mean that these teams will qualify for a spot in the playoffs where the winner will grab the last remaining promotion spot

And finally the places with the red background (21st to 24th here) will be relegated to the league below at the end of the season.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yeah, here I was thinking my 12-point difference guess was bold and maybe a bit much, but it isn't even close. Up on Tackleford by 29 points, yikes.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

I don't think you guys would be that satisfied if I crashed out of the promotion playoffs at this point.

With the way the Red Dragons have been torching the League, I'd be disappointing if we didn't finish the season first. Why worry about flopping in the promotional playoffs? Win the drat thing in the regular season! Let the peons fight in their playoff.

Also wow Tackleford is playing like utter dog poo poo. I expected them somethere around 10th or something. They aren't going to be regulated are they?

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Kingal posted:

yeah. it changes from league to league and division to division but it is rather handily colour coded in football manager.

Aah, I'm surprised that there's so many spots at this level - but I guess in retrospect there were even more between 1 and 2!

Kingal
May 29, 2013
i think premiership to Skrill premier it's mostly something along the lines of 3 teams up and 3 teams down. it gets a bit more confusing when it comes to the Skrill North and the Skrill South which i think are the same tier of English football. (I've never really understood the difference between the north and south leagues and how it would affect relegation from the Skrill Premier, i mean what if 3 of the teams that get relegated from the Skrill premier should then (geographically at least) be playing in the Skrill north, how would that affect promotion from the Skrill South?)

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Kingal posted:

what if 3 of the teams that get relegated from the Skrill premier should then (geographically at least) be playing in the Skrill north, how would that affect promotion from the Skrill South?)

The teams in the Skrill North/South get moved around depending on the teams being relegated from the Premier. So a team could be playing in the Skrill South one season and then the North the next, purely as a result of the teams getting relegated being based further South.

Kingal
May 29, 2013
that seems like a rather inelegant solution, but then again so little about lower league football is elegant (with Wrexham being the obvious exception)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Great update. That many draws are a bit worrying, but I am sure you can pull the team out of their slight slump. Anything other than automatic promotion is obviously not acceptable. I hope we can win this thing, justice for Sunderland buying the ref in their first game against us :argh:

Seeing Tackleford only 4 points away from relegation is massively satisfying.

habeasdorkus posted:

We were playing in New York City?! Oh... wait.

Americans, stealing our city names! York, Orleans, Toledo or Memphis existed long before the first Europeans crossed the Atlantic Ocean!

A Platinum Turtle
Jul 7, 2010
Hey, just chiming in here to say that I'm really enjoying the LP! Also really enjoying Tackleford's current place in the league :allears: Keep it up!

FailAtMagic
Apr 11, 2011

A Tartan Tory posted:

It's looking good for my guess of +21 points on Tackleford. :allears:

Also voting for upgrading our lovely barn.

:argh: I thought I went with the highest score difference :argh:

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Americans, stealing our city names! York, Orleans, Toledo or Memphis existed long before the first Europeans crossed the Atlantic Ocean!

Not our fault ours are better :colbert: (wait maybe it is...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I wanted to say it was difficult to do worse than "a ruin of thousand years lying forgotten in a desert", but it's America so it's actually a toss up.

• Locked thread