Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Benny the Snake posted:

My career counselor told me to write a thank-you-note after an interview. What I did was as soon as the interview was over, I stepped outside the office, wrote the note down, then I went back in and handed it to the manager.

EDIT: I asked my counselor about doing an email instead, but he insisted that I do a thank-you-note. I don't make the rules, I just follow 'em :shrug:

How old is this counselor? In any case, the point of the post-interview thank you note, no matter the format, is to remind the person hiring about your existence a day or two after the fact, after they've seen more candidates and are closer to making a decision.

Leaving an interview, then spinning around on your heel and thanking them like you forgot to say it in the first place is the gooniest approach to that that I've ever heard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

My mom would also agree to give a thank you note instead of an email, but she's hella old and hasn't tried to get a job in like 40 years.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Benny, please ask the counselor if they really meant that you should hand the person a thank-you note immediately after the interview. My guess is they meant to mail it out the same day, so that the person would get it the next day.

I am also on Team Email, though.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
^^^^ e;fb somehow didn't see this.

Ursine Asylum posted:

the point of the post-interview thank you note, no matter the format, is to remind the person hiring about your existence a day or two after the fact

Exactly this. Which is why you MAIL the note the same day as the interview: so that it arrives a couple of days later.

Unity Gain fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Feb 28, 2014

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

Benny the Snake posted:

I don't make the rules, I just follow 'em :shrug:

According to evidence presented prior, this is demonstratively false. Considering how you refused to follow clear instructions on frying a zucchini, rammed a cart into a car, called out of work for no reason, and have ignored literally all of the good advice in the thread.

A more appropriate cliched one liner for your situation could be "I don't make the rules. I just wantonly disregard them unless they excuse my strange behavior."

We made it past page 100 everyone. We are still at square one. This is the beginning of a new era, An era of... exactly the same poo poo as before. Long live Benny the King.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
I've never been given an actual thank you note. I have however been emailed the general "thanks again for the interview". I could understand the physical note thing if the manager wouldn't have access to work emails or something, but generally speaking an email is fine. And yes, wait until the next day, or at least a couple of hours afterwards.

I think you should stop trying to apply for normal jobs and become a Monster Shopping Cart Death Rally entrepreneur.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Tamarillo posted:

I think you should stop trying to apply for normal jobs and become a Monster Shopping Cart Death Rally entrepreneur.

At the very least it'd be entertaining to watch.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Can we revive the "things I have accomplished in my life since Benny started this thread" chat? I really enjoyed that.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

I remember reading the OP when it was posted a year ago and thinking "He's whining now, wait till he moves out and is paying bills and being responsible. Give him a few months and he'll be out of home faster than explosive diarrhea.".

And yet, here we are...

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Eris posted:

Anyone else think two interviews for a cashier position is weird?
I think it really differs between companies and management style, I had both big chains do it in 1, and a mom-and-pop doing it in 2.
Even for finding my internships there has been a lot of variation in it.

The note is pretty dumb though, I'd just do a followup email from now on.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 28, 2014

Tyrannosaurus
Apr 12, 2006
Clearly, you need to become a job counselor.

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
I send a follow up email right after i get off the phone w further addendums and links, thanking whoever was on call for their tine, conversation, and for talking more about the positoon.

Few days to a week later if i havent hears back and depending on the temp i write back reiterating interest.

But from now on for any in-person I'm bringing my blank index cards and a sharpie.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Can we revive the "things I have accomplished in my life since Benny started this thread" chat? I really enjoyed that.

In the past week alone I've made three dresses, learned to do hand stitched embroidery, and had two photoshoots with clients. AND played videogames and read books and any number of other random hobby-things. Having a busy (real) life isn't difficult, if you have any level of enthusiasm about what you're doing. That, unfortunately is the inherent problem here - Benny is just bored. Bored with life, bored with where he is, bored with everything and so he makes no effort to try.

Maybe Benny needs to meet a girl online from across the country and go on a massive, love-fueld trip to shack up with her and just get to a new place in life where he might find life more ineresting. If nothing else, watching him chase the sweet caress of a femmegoone play out would be entertaining.

cname
Jan 24, 2013

by Lowtax
-Lost last year's job.
-Was on unemployment for 5 months. In those 5 months, a junkie moved into my (shared/subletted) apartment and got me into popping pain killers, muscle relaxers, etc.
-Partied it up every day, slept till noon, shoved drugs up my nose and down my throat, smoked ounces upon ounces of weed, drank gallons of alcohol, while selling to the locals.
-Realized "Ok, this needs to stop." so I found a new apartment with a friend who is actually going somewhere in life.
-Moved into the new apartment, pulled myself out of the gutter and found a new/better job, started said job and took them up on their offer to transfer my contract from "contractor" to "full time, salaried employee." I managed to do this two months prior to my benefits running out.
-Saved up for a Pioneer Serato DDJ-SX controller, learned how to use it and have so far managed to make $500 by DJing two house parties. I have 2 more gigs booked for March. Once I get paid for those two gigs, the controller will have paid for itself and I'll officially be making profit, which I can put towards more equipment.

So I've literally lost a job, gone on a 5 month bender wherein I didn't even pretend to look for work, ended the bender, found a new job, was asked to stay at said new job and have since found a side hustle as well.

cname fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 28, 2014

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

That drat Satyr posted:

Maybe Benny needs to meet a girl online from across the country and go on a massive, love-fueld trip to shack up with her and just get to a new place in life where he might find life more ineresting.

It worked for me, but I was stupid and 20 then. I wonder if being older makes that more or less likely to work out.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk

Ursine Asylum posted:

It worked for me, but I was stupid and 20 then. I wonder if being older makes that more or less likely to work out.

To be honest, I meant that only partially in jest. Everyone needs to do something royally stupid in their life, it helps give you perspective.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
In the course of the last year I:

• Got a job as an overnight manager at a prestigious New England resort hotel with no prior hotel nor managing experience
  • Became fully financially independent, which let my parents chase their dream of opening a pet store/rescue
  • Moved to Japan and got a job working as a linguistics analyst at my university
  • Made it to one year with my awesome first boyfriend
  • Came out to my entire family/extended friend network and severed negative influences :gay:
  • Contributed to three episodes of a TV show
  • Interviewed my favorite director and his team
  • Helped out with the first ever crowd funded anime in the history of dumb Japanese cartoons
  • Taught Japanese 101 once a week
  • Wrote my thesis
  • Overcame a severe case of brain swelling that had me losing time and hallucinating, all the while dealing with most of the stuff listed prior.

For some context, I turn 21 this month and am still a student. :v: It's not hard to have hobbies (even goony ones) and a serious job, and even debilitating mental issues on top of that as long as you actually take some initiative to improve your situation. I still have free time too, so you don't even need to sacrifice precious comics time to see improvement. I just took all of the hours of the day I'd sit around wondering what I should be doing and actually, you know, did something with it.

I'm proud we at least have some success and motivation coming out of this. Or at least coming in tandem with this. Benny could learn a lot and probably turn his entire life around if he actually listened to (most) the advice in the thread.

laplace fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Feb 28, 2014

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

laplace posted:

Benny could learn a lot and probably turn his entire life around if he actually listened to (most) of the advice in the thread.

s/most/any/

That drat Satyr posted:

To be honest, I meant that only partially in jest. Everyone needs to do something royally stupid in their life, it helps give you perspective.

Oh, not denying that, just not sure if it would work as well as you get older, or if it would turn into a regret-fest. I guess it would depend on the mindset you had going into it.

In any case, I can't in good conscience advise spur of the moment cross-country road trips for Benny, because I could see him being the kind of guy who drives past the "Last gas station for 300 miles" sign on a quarter tank of gas.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
In the past year I:

-Raised my son and worked part-time while my husband was deployed.
-Found and set up a house for us while he was deployed.
-Paid off lots of debt.
-Lost the weight I gained while pregnant.
-Applied to school to become a physical therapist.

Doesn't seem like much, but felt kind of overwhelming at the time. Also, husband is back from deployment, so that's awesome.

Benny, please email whoever interviews you from now on. Giving them a thank-you card right after the interview comes off as strange.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
In the past year

1. January: I started a new job paying 10% more and cut my commute in half
2. March: found out my wife was pregnant
3. May: I bought a house
4: September: I severed ties with my lunatic mother
5: also September: relaunched yourfinancetracker
6: son was born

Hopefully, I will be able to quit my job and pursue yourfinancetracker full time in November.

Benny, you should start a business or write an e-book about how hard the job market is.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
In the past year

*I went from teaching part time (one class a term) to a full time post, then a promotion (to the US equivalent of associate professor)
*created and defended a brand new concentration within my home department's major; students have started enrolling for next September
*wrote papers for and attended half a dozen conferences
*picked up a book contract
*applied for (ie wrote up a 4000 word essay containing a couple of case studies on my teaching) a fellowship in the higher education academy here in the UK (it was approved last month)
*studied for and passed my UK driving test (first go, yay!)
* found time to sell a lot of useless crap out of my closets on ebay and refurbish our little spare room into a nice workspace for me
*went to a number of live theatre performances and shows, and got to meet Neil Innes (who signed my ticket as Ron Nasty :3:)

and I still manage to have spare to time faff around just chillin'...

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Is anyone reading anyone else's lists

I'm not

Starter Wiggin
Feb 1, 2009

Screw the enemy's gate man, I've got a fucking TAIL!
Do you know how crazy the ladies go for those?
I got yelled at last time I posted my list, but I'm reading these ones because at least something in this thread isn't disappointing.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

BKPR posted:

I'm not

Are we allowed to emptyquote in GBS 1.4?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

systran posted:

Are we allowed to emptyquote in GBS 1.4?

E: yes, but this is e/n

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I, see, but it's a sub-forum of GBS? I just re-read the rules thoroughly and I'm not allowed to fakepost in here either?!

Sorry guys, I lied (fakeposted), I'm actually married (but still a virgin).

edit: Wrong virgin thread!

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 28, 2014

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I do for shits and giggles

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Ok here's one at least partially relevant to Benny...
In the last year, I
- started writing and self publishing
- took myself from poor to a decent living wage, with some great months and some lesser
- now actually have savings in the bank!
- battled chronic pain(and depression), with much improvement - using physiotherapy, hydrotherapy, meditation, exercise and new medication
- learned how to spin, weave and improved my other crafty hobbies like knitting
- writing, writing, writing
- also some graphic design for other authors
- Planned and conceived a child

I am a really lazy person who likes games and wasting time, and I found a way to make money (support my gaming and craft habits) and still be a lazy person.

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 28, 2014

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Starter Wiggin posted:

I got yelled at last time I posted my list, but I'm reading these ones because at least something in this thread isn't disappointing.

You were ahead of your time. A trailblazer. Showing initiative.

Folks don't take too kindly to that in this here thread.

Lemony Fresh
Nov 4, 2009
In the past year I:
Moved out of my parents house and into my boyfriend's house.
Lost a job and got a new one within a week
Went on a 7 day cruise
Helped a friend move across the country
Moved out of my boyfriend's house and into my own apartment for the first time ever.

Benny, I graduated with a bachelor's degree in biology in 2009 with no clue on what I wanted to do with my life. I applied and applied to jobs until I finally got one: in a factory doing quality control. Unfortunately (maybe not) my workplace burned down the day I was going to start. So I had to take a serious look at myself and figure out what I wanted to do. In my case, I went back and got my teaching license. I don't recommend that for you at all, but you are obviously doing something wrong if you can't find even one job after all this time. I mean come on, even I got a job with a useless degree in the heart of the recession that was going to pay $14 an hour. You should at the very least get a retail job.

Shadowgate
May 6, 2007

Soiled Meat

BKPR posted:

I'm not

Nope because who cares honestly.

Yad Rock
Mar 1, 2005

Tequila Sunrise posted:

No, Jesus Christ just shut up and let the kid self-destruct. You're not impressing anyone by being better than him.

supernatural blonde
Mar 15, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Benny the Snake posted:

My career counselor told me to write a thank-you-note after an interview. What I did was as soon as the interview was over, I stepped outside the office, wrote the note down, then I went back in and handed it to the manager.

EDIT: I asked my counselor about doing an email instead, but he insisted that I do a thank-you-note. I don't make the rules, I just follow 'em :shrug:

Oh god please Benny don't do that again, it's just really weird and awkward. The interviewer might remember you but not for the right reasons. If your career councilor told you to do this exact same thing (but I'm doubtful they did) then you need to speak to another one or seek other resources - the internet is pretty good for that, I hear.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Yad Rock posted:

No, Jesus Christ just shut up and let the kid self-destruct. You're not impressing anyone by being better than him.

Maybe this thread will be helpful to the person who realizes they've accomplished less than Benny and the thought so shames them they change their lives.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Obdicut posted:

Maybe this thread will be helpful to the person who realizes they've accomplished less than Benny and the thought so shames them they change their lives.

I've just been going to school, does that count :ohdear:

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Eris posted:

Anyone else think two interviews for a cashier position is weird?

Sears does do it for whatever reason. I used to work for Sears they have a general interviewer person interview you and then some kind of team lead for for whatever position you are applying for to see if they think you would be good at the job.

Anyway I very briefly helped interview on occasion and Benny the most important thing to Sears if you are in any kind of position where you will interact with customers is signing them up for that Sears credit card. You mentioned it in passing but seriously if you have any plans of following up with them again you make sure they understand you will be the best darn credit card pusher ever.

And if you slipped me a thank you card before you left I would think you were hitting on me or something and be extremely weirded out regardless of your gender so I really am not sure that you should keep doing that.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Yeah, please don't slip people thank you cards right after an interview. Throw one in the mail same-day so it arrives the next day or the day after, if you must; e-mail is preferable. I'd laugh endlessly if someone did what you did, but it wouldn't help their chances in the slightest, nor would it serve the actual purpose of those thank yous - reminding the interviewer who you are and why they (maybe) liked you.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
Benny, since you made this thread, I've published three novels and two novellas. As a certified writer who makes money by writing what people want to read, I will give you advice: your writing is awful because you are a boring person. Stop being boring.

I can't even comment on the thank you note. How did you think that was what your job counselor meant when he said to write your thank you note immediately after? How? How?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

In the past year I:

Masturbated a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

sebmojo posted:

In the past year I:

Masturbated a lot.

I'm proud of you and hope this year is even more productive.

• Locked thread