Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the lack of gravity-based superpowers in comic books is because there just aren't any good names for someone with gravity powers. Graviton? C'mon.

He fucks up the Avengers in the pilot of EMH and his wikipedia page powers reads like he could be the Avengers equivalent of Magneto but most people have never heard of him.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's Graviton, like the theoretical particle.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

I didn't care about The Avengers until Bendis's New Avengers, so it's funny to me that Graviton (Gravitron? I can't even remember his name) is a serious bad guy.

"We are agreed to assist each other on projects of evil -- and nothing more!"

He ended up spending most of the 1990s as the arch-villain in Fabian Nicieza's run on Thunderbolts.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Graviton is a bad guy in Agents of SHIELD. That's how bad a character they are.

Shameless posted:

I like the Vision, but only when he's wearing a turtle-neck sweater for absolutely no reason at all (aside from looking cool as hell)

That's probably why Tigra has to sit round in her undies all day, Vision's nicked all the jumpers

No lie if Vison went around dressed like that I would actually read a book with them in it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've seen him in the cartoon, and his origin happened in Agents of SHIELD (I quit watching shortly after because it's a poo poo show). It's weird that he's a thing right now.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Dude, you totally promised to help the group with their evil project but you're just hanging out with your girl friend in some kind of kinky cat thing!

Skwirl posted:

Tigra I just feel bad for, I don't know anything about her, but everytime I see her in a comic I just feel embarrassed for her. She's a cat lady who runs around in a bikini, that's not good.

She started out as part of Marvel's push for more women superheros in the 70's as The Cat. Her series lasted a whole four issues because Marvel didn't really put a whole lot of thought into that push (She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel, and Spider-Woman all lasted longer but their series weren't much better). Then in a horror book she got turned into a cat person and they still didn't know what to do with her so several years later she shows up at Avengers Mansion.

Tigra's one of those characters that no one has ever seemed to have a good idea about what to do with her. I'm sure someone out there has an amazing Tigra story just waiting to be told like pretty much ever single other comic book character, but I have no clue what it would be.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Graviton's gimmick is that he's insanely powerful but is wracked by too much self-doubt and personal issues to really make it. There's a Thunderbolts storyline where he gets his head on straight and manages to chump a lot of Earth's superhero teams simultaneously as a result... and then dies to stop alien invasion. And then came back in New Avengers without any explanation. Comics!

"Projects of Evil", there's your next band name, tho.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 28, 2014

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
He chumps most of the Super Teams and then Moonstone, his therapist, points out that he's still doing petty bullshit just to more people. Then the aliens get involved before Moonstone finishes talking him down.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

zoux posted:

I think the lack of gravity-based superpowers in comic books is because there just aren't any good names for someone with gravity powers. Graviton? C'mon.
If I had gravity powers I would name myself whatever the hell I wanted, like Firestarter or something. And then if anyone gave me poo poo about my name not matching my powers, I would throw them into the sun, because I control gravity, gently caress you.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Also if your name is too close to your superpower Nick Fury might just punch you in the throat for being a dumbass.

Does anyone control strong/weak nuclear force?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

e:nm

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 28, 2014

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Does anyone control strong/weak nuclear force?

The other guys on that team who are helping Graviton with his projects of evil were meant to represent the other fundamental forces. Graviton was gravity, I think an old Hulk villain called Zzzax was electromagnetism, and there were two new characters called Quantum and Halflife (not the Peter David bad guy) who were meant to be the strong and weak forces.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Waterhaul posted:

No lie if Vison went around dressed like that I would actually read a book with them in it.

Robot trying to understand fashion beats the hell out of a robot trying to understand love.

I remember a Fraction/Zdarsky interview where they said the Vision was the worst Avenger because he was a robot that cries. Best creators, best logic.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Metal Loaf posted:

The other guys on that team who are helping Graviton with his projects of evil were meant to represent the other fundamental forces. Graviton was gravity, I think an old Hulk villain called Zzzax was electromagnetism, and there were two new characters called Quantum and Halflife (not the Peter David bad guy) who were meant to be the strong and weak forces.

Zzzax was electromagnetism, and defeated by shooting a wire (connected to an arrow) through him into some water. Quantum was strong and punchy, and could create duplicates of himself until you cut off his supply of sunlight with a smoke arrow. Halflife had a "death touch" kind of thing, and could hang out in nuclear reactors. I don't remember how she got beat, but Graviton was the only one who was much of a threat.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

StumblyWumbly posted:

Robot trying to understand fashion beats the hell out of a robot trying to understand love.

I remember a Fraction/Zdarsky interview where they said the Vision was the worst Avenger because he was a robot that cries. Best creators, best logic.

I agree but only if you're being sarcastic.

I'm not much of a Vision fan, but there have been some really bad Avengers. Remember Starfox? Tigra? Rage?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Vision rules, you guys are jerks. :mad:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Truly the JLA vs Avengers comic we should have gotten was Justice League Detroit vs. West Coast Avengers.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Madkal posted:

Truly the JLA vs Avengers comic we should have gotten was Justice League Detroit vs. West Coast Avengers.

No lie, I would read that religiously.

Vibe versus Firebird in the Latino Stereotype Faceoff!

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Lurdiak posted:

Vision rules, you guys are jerks. :mad:

Ok. Sure. And next you'll get talking about what a great character Red Tornado is.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CzarChasm posted:

Ok. Sure. And next you'll get talking about what a great character Red Tornado is.

What are you talking about? Everyone loves Ma Hunkel.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Red Tornado was pretty good in the Young Justice book.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'll see your Red Tornado and raise you a Vibe, Tasmanian Devil, and Bloodwynd.

Ed: Yeah, RT was a decent character in the YJ comics and cartoons. He can be good, he just usually is *beep boop cry*.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Feb 28, 2014

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

Red Tornado was pretty good in the Young Justice book.

Having a, what, five episode arc for goddamn Red Tornado in season 1 encapsulates everything wrong with the show, though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'll see your Red Tornado and raise you a Vibe, Tasmanian Devil, and Bloodwynd.

Did you mean Vibe, Tasmanian Devil, and Martian Manhunter?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Red Tornado is better than The Vision because he has a cool song named after him and Vison doesn't.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

No, Red Tornado is Vision without any of the things that make Vision interesting. He can go to robot hell.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

WickedHate posted:

Did you mean Vibe, Tasmanian Devil, and Martian Manhunter?

On reflection, I think I meant Vibe, Tasmanian Devil, and Jan & Zayna.

Ed: I mean, how was I to realize somebody named "Bloodwynd" in the 90s actually looks kind of interesting on a closer look?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Alien Rope Burn posted:

On reflection, I think I meant Vibe, Tasmanian Devil, and Jan & Zayna.

Ed: I mean, how was I to realize somebody named "Bloodwynd" in the 90s actually looks kind of interesting on a closer look?

The Wonder Twins got off a lot better then a certain other pair of siblings originally introduced in Super Friends.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Ed: Yeah, RT was a decent character in the YJ comics and cartoons. He can be good, he just usually is *beep boop cry*.

How many characters can't have this said about them, though? Wolverine can be a good character, he's just usually "snikt snikt bub bub ronin snikt bub." Green Arrow can be a good character, he's just usually "drat the Man I should have been at Woodstock I have a boxing glove arrow." Batman can be a good character, he's just usually "MY PARENTS ARE DEEEEEAAAAAAADDDDD!"

There's a lot of lovely writers and a lot of lovely stories, but that doesn't mean the characters are lovely.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Red Tornado is like the only character Batman: The Brave and the Bold wasn't able to make interesting, which is astounding.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lurdiak posted:

Red Tornado is like the only character Batman: The Brave and the Bold wasn't able to make interesting, which is astounding.

Uh, that episode is completely awesome.

"Is this...tingling...the Christmas spirit?" *explodes*

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Red Tornado was rad as hell until Brad Meltzer made him mad loving creepy.

I'm so glad that dude's reign of terror is over.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Uh, that episode is completely awesome.

"Is this...tingling...the Christmas spirit?" *explodes*

That christmas ep and the episode where he has a robot kid are the only ones in the entire series I kept wishing would end already. As my friend observed, "gently caress you, boring Vision."

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It would have been a lot better if it had the original Tornado Champion and Tyrant.

Who were actual tornados.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Lurdiak posted:

That christmas ep and the episode where he has a robot kid are the only ones in the entire series I kept wishing would end already. As my friend observed, "gently caress you, boring Vision."

He gives batman a world's greatest detective mug, what is wrong with you.

edit: I was literally regretting my purchase of the DVDs until I got to the "Red Tornado wants to learn the meaning of Christmas episode, you have no soul."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The only interesting thing about Vision is that he's a robot who slept with a witch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

He gives batman a world's greatest detective mug, what is wrong with you.

edit: I was literally regretting my purchase of the DVDs until I got to the "Red Tornado wants to learn the meaning of Christmas episode, you have no soul."

I have no soul? You just poo poo-talked the first Aquaman episode.

Skwirl posted:

The only interesting thing about Vision is that he's a robot who slept with a witch.

Oh that is it, I'm going to make a Vision megathread as soon as I find my "40 Years of Avengers" DVD.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

There's a lot of lovely writers and a lot of lovely stories, but that doesn't mean the characters are lovely.

All characters can be interesting given the right take, but that doesn't mean all characters are equally promising. There are characters that just struggle, either because of concept or history, even after passing through good character writers. Famous character rehab master Peter David has had two go-rounds with Wolfsbane and I still just groan to see her on the cast of any book. 52 had a redone version of Egg Fu by a very solid writing team, but he'll always bear the stench of racism no matter how many "incubations" you put him through. Hank Pym is like a poster child for this sort of character, as though he's been through the hands of numerous great writers, but he struggles under the weight of the wife-slap and being a guy who rode ants into battle.

Not every character is created equal. A good writer can overcome that to some extent, but there are limits to what can be done. After all, I don't think we'll see the magnificent return of Asbestos Lady anytime soon.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The fault in Hank Pym is on the fans and the writers, not the character. He could probably carry his own book that really explores himself, but loving everyone always brings up the wife beating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

WickedHate posted:

The fault in Hank Pym is on the fans and the writers, not the character.

I'd like to think so too but the evidence has yet to support this. :(

• Locked thread