Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Xabi posted:

Is it possible to do the "ok maps" in the Google Maps app and then add places to that offline map - like you can on the Google Maps website? If so, then I pretty much got all I need when on holiday.

I'm not sure how reliable it is but I think your on-map stars are cached on the device, they should still appear when offline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Google Hangouts just got a major update on iOS 7. They've redone the interface and removed that ugly lip under the icon. I haven't used the new version much yet but it seems like a big improvement over the old Hangouts app, a lot less loading when I step into conversations.

The only knock I have against it is that it has unskippable tutorial popups all over the app. They appear multiple times you visit the same screen too. I guess you have to reveal features somehow.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.
It's free app time again. If you take a code, post which code you take.

"Sketch Club"

LYTYYJMLNN6Y
PXJYH94J3T4X
WLXW9XEKA4YY
RL6WY7KJ7NYP
J9PXR7JAMMJF
9FJTR3YE4L9E
Y643NJF7TJ79
F3XF7AK497FL

"Lub vs Dub"

WWE6LX34YLE6
4MY3K4PF3FER
RMWF93EHKFF6
LHYTTW6A3E7T
WFLL6LKKJYR4

"Type:Rider"

T6Y99YAYAK9F
ENTFF73HAW6N
JMMENPRLRFTL
YARJHTET37YP
4KE3WT693JLX
MLN6T9LPENNX

"Machinarium"

9NM6HENET4X7
RPJLFYKF764J

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Took T6Y99YAYAK9F of type rider, thanks! The last code had been taken as well.

Edit: the top two codes of lub vs dub are gone as well, one by me, thanks again!

LPG Giant fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Feb 28, 2014

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Used WWE6LX34YLE6 for "Lub". Thank you!

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

My only iDevice is my ipad. I've been using safari on it since I got it, but was getting frustrated with it crashing often, and opening a private browsing session being more involved than I would like. I tried Chrome since I love it on my desktop, but I'm having trouble living without being able to swipe the screen to go back, and not having my bookmarks appear as soon as I touch the URL bar. Any good compromise out there for web browsers on an ipad?

Mechanical Fiend
Sep 5, 2011

How'd that asshole get a white robe?!

Accipiter posted:

4KE3WT693JLX

Took this one, thanks!

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Used RMWF93EHKFF6 for lub vs dub.

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
Grabbed this one, thanks!

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
Grabbed sketch club with 9FJTR3YE4L9E

Thanks!

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

The Bramble posted:

My only iDevice is my ipad. I've been using safari on it since I got it, but was getting frustrated with it crashing often, and opening a private browsing session being more involved than I would like. I tried Chrome since I love it on my desktop, but I'm having trouble living without being able to swipe the screen to go back, and not having my bookmarks appear as soon as I touch the URL bar. Any good compromise out there for web browsers on an ipad?

safari has always been stable on my various idevices, more stable than ie on windows or chrome on android. Maybe a setting or something to tweak can fix it?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

What's the best third party podcast app that will let me subscribe to a podcast via RSS feed and requires a login? I'm fine with the Apple stock one for everything else, but god drat for some reason syncing podcasts seems just straight up busted on PC.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
The pzizz sleep apps are currently free; haven't used the apps yet, but I used the desktop version a while ago and it was decent.

http://appshopper.com/healthcare-fitness/pzizz-relax
http://appshopper.com/medical/pzizz-sleep

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!

duckfarts posted:

The pzizz sleep apps are currently free; haven't used the apps yet, but I used the desktop version a while ago and it was decent.

I tried out the relax one for a nap today, worked surprisingly well. I normally can't take a short nap.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

duckfarts posted:

Oh poo poo yes. I used a demo tape of theirs a lot in undergrad to take cat naps, I've been meaning to pick up the iOS versions for a while.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Accipiter posted:

"Type:Rider"

JMMENPRLRFTL

Thanks, I redeemed this code.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

I just got an email that imo is discontinuing their support of third party messenger services. Can anyone recommend a replacement? Despite people moving away from the service, I still have a couple of friends who I chat with regularly on AIM and google talk.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

Accipiter posted:

Type:Rider
ENTFF73HAW6N

Nabbed this one, thanks!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

ihatepants posted:

I just got an email that imo is discontinuing their support of third party messenger services. Can anyone recommend a replacement? Despite people moving away from the service, I still have a couple of friends who I chat with regularly on AIM and google talk.

IM+ has been very good for me.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
This is probably a stupid question, but does anyone have recommendations for an app that monitors data usage?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Shnooks posted:

This is probably a stupid question, but does anyone have recommendations for an app that monitors data usage?

Onavo Count. I used it to track down what was causing my data plan to get used up quickly. Caveat is that you have to route your phone through their VPN for the app to work.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Strongly considering buying Omnifocus after playing with it in the apple store. Any buyers remorse stories before I do? (Normally I don't care, but $20 is real money.)

vtlock
Feb 7, 2003

PFlats posted:

Strongly considering buying Omnifocus after playing with it in the apple store. Any buyers remorse stories before I do? (Normally I don't care, but $20 is real money.)

I was a long time user that recently backed out of the Omnifocus ecosystem. Omni is aggressive with their price points, and you're going to pay another $20 if you want the ipad app, $50ish for the desktop app, and $20 for the next major upgrade of the iOS app. It starts to get expansive for a to-do list. After leaving Omnifocus, I found that I could go with a system that is much simpler.

There are plenty of high profile bloggers who praise Omnifocus. But unless you have a crazy set of projects and needs (and in that case you'd likely be better served with Asana), Wunderlist or Clear or Taskpaper or Reminders works just as well.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Shnooks posted:

If you go to Settings > Cellular, you can get a breakdown of your total data usage and how much of it is being used by each app.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

The rear end Stooge posted:

If you go to Settings > Cellular, you can get a breakdown of your total data usage and how much of it is being used by each app.

Right. :doh:

Forgot that's a stock feature in iOS7...

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

PFlats posted:

OmniFocus is great but you might find it overkill. Try Wunderlist first (a free to-do app that's not as limited as Reminders); if you're not satisfied then buy OmniFocus.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
So IMO.im has hosed over their userbase and is trying to be whstsapp. What do I use instead?

Main priorities are AIM and GChat, RELIABLE AND PROMPT push notifications with as long a duration between forced logouts as possible, and playing nice with the fact that I like to leave a computer with an IM client running and have my incoming messages come to all clients.

Bonus points for a UI that isn't poo poo on both iPhone and iPad (and bring universal, looking at you Beejive which I haven't bought for exactly this reason), being fast, responsive, and free or cheap.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Honestly, unless there are first party apps for those services, it would probably be easier to get your friends to switch to a different service, or get new friends, that to find an instant messenger that isn't garbage.

I got grandfathered into a Trillian Pro account a whole back, but it's pretty unreliable. Now everyone just uses Facebook messenger.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Isn't Google going to pull the plug on Google Talk soon anyway?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah but it's basically rolled into Hangouts now so it's not like they're shutting the IM network down wholesale.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

1st AD posted:

Yeah but it's basically rolled into Hangouts now so it's not like they're shutting the IM network down wholesale.

Oh yeah but I mean like, people won't be able to use 3rd party clients anymore right?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I think google is actually shutting down google talk in may. Hangouts will be a closed protocol.

android police article

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Since the trend seems to be toward shutting out third party IM clients, it seems to me that Facebook is what will have the critical mass to win out (Google too I guess). Which is probably a factor that motivated the whatsapp thing.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Facebook is closing its first-party Windows app on Monday, though. :argh:

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I'm having a strange issue with Sunrise. I re-installed it due to having a new phone and when I try to login with Google, it tells me "Oops. Got unexpected status code:400". Not really sure what to do here. I tried Googling it but nothing came up.

EDIT: I guess using the right email is the way to fix this problem. :doh:

keevo fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 2, 2014

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
What's the best app for video editing on idevices?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Xabi posted:

What's the best app for video editing on idevices?

iMovie is free and worked pretty well for the couple of videos I edited on my iPad. Scrubbing on it kind of sucks though.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Loopster is awesome

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Best cloud storage app?

I'm using Dropbox but I've used up my 5GB. That's not enough. I've done all the little tasks and got my storage as high as can be without paying. What's the (next) best? Copy? The Amazon one is poo poo (installed rubbish on my laptop). Cheers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

Best cloud storage app?

I'm using Dropbox but I've used up my 5GB. That's not enough. I've done all the little tasks and got my storage as high as can be without paying. What's the (next) best? Copy? The Amazon one is poo poo (installed rubbish on my laptop). Cheers.

If you're happy with dropbox, go to fiverr.com and have someone top up your free account (max is 18gb - more if you tied your dropbox with a .edu) with referrals for $5.

I realize this doesn't answer your question, but I like dropbox over the other alternatives because it has more integration with apps, it's more commonly used by others that I share with and it doesn't have any individual file size limits.

• Locked thread