Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Jerusalem posted:

Does the Switch-Hitter Achievement in SRIV only come up if you switch a character's gender at Image As Designed? I've played two complete campaigns as both a male Boss and a female Boss and I didn't get it.

Yeah has to be the same character/playthrough I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Thanks, it was bugging me since I'm pretty sure I got an in-game acknowledgement of playing as both genders.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I've been digging around the internet, but I can't seem to find the answers to these two questions:

First, who is the guy that pops out of Shaundi's nightmare portal as an ally? I don't recognize him from anywhere.

Second, who is the bald black guy in the final scenes of the game? I can't find him referenced anywhere, either?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

KittenofDoom posted:

First, who is the guy that pops out of Shaundi's nightmare portal as an ally? I don't recognize him from anywhere.

Judging by their presence in Shaundi's loyalty mission, they're meant to be the Sons of Samedi.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Got this weird idea/hope that the next game will basically be Chrono Trigger but with Saints Row. You got your time travelling spaceship, your established cast, plenty of opportunity for past and future shenanigans. Hell, I wouldn't even mind smaller world spaces spread out over different periods with unique elements for each. I think that the size of a world isn't nearly as important as the amount of incidental crap you can do in them.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Considering that a new game would likely be for the XBox One, it's possible to have several Steelport-sized worlds, each in a different time.

Dead Rising 3's map was bigger than both of the previous games' combined, right?

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Pretty sure the limitation is more of a "making and testing all these cities would be a huge amount of work" thing than a hardware issue. Personally I'd like the idea someone mentioned way earlier in the thread, of having a single city but having different neighborhoods be from different eras.

I just want Asaintssin's Crow :(

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

KittenofDoom posted:

Second, who is the bald black guy in the final scenes of the game? I can't find him referenced anywhere, either?

Is he dressed up like Morpheus? Because that would be Ben King, the bald black guy who has been with you since the beginning of the game.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL

Crappy Jack posted:

Is he dressed up like Morpheus? Because that would be Ben King, the bald black guy who has been with you since the beginning of the game.
Geez, he looks so different and so much younger without the beard!

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

KittenofDoom posted:

Geez, he looks so different and so much younger without the beard!

Yeah, that was throwing me off too at first. Actually, I think the Super Homie version is supposed to be a lot slimmer.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
It's an entirely different character model, from the shape of the nose, brow ridge to even the ears!

They just changed him to Morpheus as a joke.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I think it's the only alternate version that they don't really introduce, he just randomly shows up in a cutscene without comment. I remember being confused by it as well.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

You could hardly miss him in his post-loyalty-mission unlocks, though.

But yeah, powering up off-screen is entirely consistent with Ben King.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

I think it's the only alternate version that they don't really introduce, he just randomly shows up in a cutscene without comment. I remember being confused by it as well.

Wait, doesn't he transform into Super-King when you're trying to keep up with Tanya?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Young Freud posted:

Wait, doesn't he transform into Super-King when you're trying to keep up with Tanya?

I remember it as regular Ben just killing Tanya after you throw her off a roof.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Young Freud posted:

I wish.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
In this thread or one of the older SRTT ones, someone made their boss the Nameless One, and now that I'm actually playing PST it just seems like such a perfect match; murky past, ability to shrug off injuries that would kill another man, affinity for snapping necks, eventual ability to lay waste to all around him with godlike powers...the perfect gimmick playthrough?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

"What can change the nature of a man? A quick visit to Image as Designed!"

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I got this on Steam over Christmas, but just now got around to installing it and blew through it over my Spring Break. All I need to get 100% on my file are the challenges for mech suit kills, warden kills, and Death From Above kills. Not looking forward to doing the last one, seeing as how what counts as a kill is surprisingly finicky. That goes for a few kill-based achievements I'm missing out on as well. Building notoriety doesn't summon the kinds of enemies that are useful for them.

I should almost certainly have "Experimental Tech" by now, but it didn't trigger. "Where's My Cape?" is bugged, because I have every upgrade, purchasable or otherwise :sigh:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Dr Christmas posted:

I got this on Steam over Christmas, but just now got around to installing it and blew through it over my Spring Break. All I need to get 100% on my file are the challenges for mech suit kills, warden kills, and Death From Above kills. Not looking forward to doing the last one, seeing as how what counts as a kill is surprisingly finicky. That goes for a few kill-based achievements I'm missing out on as well. Building notoriety doesn't summon the kinds of enemies that are useful for them.

I should almost certainly have "Experimental Tech" by now, but it didn't trigger. "Where's My Cape?" is bugged, because I have every upgrade, purchasable or otherwise :sigh:

If you have the "Enter the Dominatrix" DLC and have beaten it, the second mission's enemies count as aliens. Makes achievement grinding much easier.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

closeted republican posted:

If you have the "Enter the Dominatrix" DLC and have beaten it, the second mission's enemies count as aliens. Makes achievement grinding much easier.

Same with the second mission of the Christmas specials.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I found that freezing guys and shattering them with Death From Above counts for both the achievement and the challlenge, so the King of the Hill round in hard Super Powered Fight Club was perfect for that. Also, it turns out I was actually missing the Inflatobeam part of a Experimental Tech despite finishing the challenge. Does I Am become Death needs to be completed in one play through? A little less than 200 kills and I'm done with all the achievements except the coop ones and Where's my Cape, which is was glitched out of.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The next saints row should be saints row star wars where I drive/fly/super hero around blowing up ATATs and running over storm troopers.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

ColoradoCleric posted:

The next saints row should be saints row star wars where I drive/fly/super hero around blowing up ATATs and running over storm troopers.

And every planet is just a re-textured Steel Port. :suicide:

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Malek posted:

loving around on a tatoonie clone would be really fun and allow for a variety of enemies.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Malek posted:

ColoradoCleric posted:

loving around on a tatoonie clone would be really fun and allow for a variety of enemies.

Well, Tatooine and Steelport something in common. They're both nearly lifeless wastelands.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

Well, Tatooine and Steelport something in common. They're both nearly lifeless wastelands.

I was going to go with 'wretched hives of scum and villany', but this also works.

Kind of hoping that the next game takes place in a brand new city. I miss Stilwater, but going somewhere new would be great compared to 're-skin Steelport'.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
If the next Saints Row continues with aliens, it should take place in a Coruscant-sequence megalopolis populated by a variety of species, or have Stillwater, saved due to time-travel shenanigans, become a cosmopolitan center of intergalactic culture.

Ooo, or maybe the Boss time travels back to Earth to take over, and the only hope in defeating his/her evil regime is a younger version of the Saints.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Tiggum posted:

It works fine so long as they just travel to one place and time rather than jumping around all over the place. Like, the first mission could be them getting sent back in time, then something goes wrong and the rest of the game is them trying to get back home, which first involves taking over whichever city they're stranded in.

Thinking too small. Have some sort of Hideous Time gently caress which ends up crashing different time periods into one another so you can walk two miles from Ancient Rome and end up in Medieval England, which is two doors down from Atlantis which is suffering an invasion from the Prehistoric Era located right next door, with the Ming Dynasty next to that.

Sort of like that one Doctor Who episode with Holy Roman Emperor Winston Churchill.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
I think we're all going to buy the next Saint's Row either way, but a reboot would be a bit disappointing just because "crew of likeable characters that have taken the streets, conquered the corporate world, become president, killed an alien invader and are now the only surviving humans also they rule a technologically advanced space empire" is honestly just pretty rare. In any medium really. The Saint's Row franchise has legitimately built this ridiculous amazing situation and I'd rather they keep pushing on with it, rather than going back to killing rival gang bangers and escaping police cars. I can get that anywhere. There's only one place I can get the ongoing saga of the Saints.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

I think we're all going to buy the next Saint's Row either way, but a reboot would be a bit disappointing just because "crew of likeable characters that have taken the streets, conquered the corporate world, become president, killed an alien invader and are now the only surviving humans also they rule a technologically advanced space empire" is honestly just pretty rare. In any medium really. The Saint's Row franchise has legitimately built this ridiculous amazing situation and I'd rather they keep pushing on with it, rather than going back to killing rival gang bangers and escaping police cars. I can get that anywhere. There's only one place I can get the ongoing saga of the Saints.

The problem is one of brand, unfortunately. I'd love to see Saints Row just completely change everything and become some kind of space based... who the gently caress knows what, but you say "Saints Row" and people think "wacky open city crime game." Volition came up with the flimsiest of excuses to reuse Steelport and change the cops to aliens (and then reuse old gangs again) but change the setting radically and you're running the risk of pushing away at least some of an established base. Saints Row games, or at least the big advertised Saints Row games, will likely stay the way they are.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Kibayasu posted:

The problem is one of brand, unfortunately. I'd love to see Saints Row just completely change everything and become some kind of space based... who the gently caress knows what, but you say "Saints Row" and people think "wacky open city crime game." Volition came up with the flimsiest of excuses to reuse Steelport and change the cops to aliens (and then reuse old gangs again) but change the setting radically and you're running the risk of pushing away at least some of an established base. Saints Row games, or at least the big advertised Saints Row games, will likely stay the way they are.

The boss lands on a planet that happens to look exactly like Stilwater except everybody looks like weird freaky aliens. They then proceed to make a new gang, the Third Street Saints, and induct new members, with Keith David running the gang. It is then an exact remake of Saints Row 1, except the characters are different and everybody has creepy alien faces. It is both a sequel and a reboot, and it is implied that this sort of thing has happened before many times, and that our Saints were just the latest in a long line of Saints who eventually got their planets blown up by being badasses.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I love the characters of Saints Row, but I'm cool with a complete reboot as long as they ingrain the series' lunacy into the core.

Going back to an open world crime GTA knockoff would be ill advised, considering GTA V met a tepid critical response despite several improvements.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I'd love to see an online freeroam like Red Dead/GTA did & let me join a bunch of other goons in causing mayhem. 64 players, 4 gangs of 16, go nuts. They've already delved well into the world of parody, why not go all the way? Give me a Gun Game where everyone starts with purple floppy dick bats and builds up to throwing fireballs and summoning sharks. Occasionally someone stumbles into a powerup and becomes a colossal ball of yarn. Zach and Bobby give commentary.

Hell it doesn't even need a single-player mode. I'd pay just to have the wacky fun Saints Row is known for with a lot more people at once.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Going back to an open world crime GTA knockoff would be ill advised, considering GTA V met a tepid critical response despite several improvements.

Have you considered that that may be because GTA has never actually been very good? People loved GTA because there was nothing else like it, so you put up with its flaws, but while other games like Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs have come along and shown how to make "GTA but not terrible", GTA just carries on being GTA.

If they made what was essentially another Saints Row 2, but modernised and with the various improvements the genre has seen since it first came out, it would probably be very well received. People aren't sick of sandbox crime games, it's just that GTA has some actual competition now and can't afford to be poo poo any more.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
In what world did GTA V get a "tepid" critical response?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

The problem is one of brand, unfortunately. I'd love to see Saints Row just completely change everything and become some kind of space based... who the gently caress knows what, but you say "Saints Row" and people think "wacky open city crime game."

Set it in Not Mos Eisely. Bam, we're gold again.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You can say and IV and V were not really that great, that the good was followed by a lot of bad, but Vice City and San Andreas can legitimately great games that hold up really well, as long as you can get over how crummy the character models look.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Dont' start this GTA v.s. Saints Row poo poo again. I enjoyed GTA V for what it was and I enjoyed Saints Row for what it was. Saints Row was horrible at trying to be like GTA. When it became it's own thing it was beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

MassRafTer posted:

In what world did GTA V get a "tepid" critical response?

Heh, that was going to be my response, word-for-word. Didn't it sell literally the most copies of any video game in history and get a stream of 10/10 reviews?

Maybe he means GTA Online.

Shindragon posted:

Dont' start this GTA v.s. Saints Row poo poo again. I enjoyed GTA V for what it was and I enjoyed Saints Row for what it was. Saints Row was horrible at trying to be like GTA. When it became it's own thing it was beautiful.

I kinda agree with this, though SR2 is still probably my favorite, and that game really just took the design philosophies that made San Andreas great (big open world filled with secrets, crazy customization and random fun stuff to do) a few steps further and dropped the serious storyline about respecting your family in the hood or whatever.

• Locked thread