Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

HellCopter posted:

I know I am. When's that releasing anyway? December? Wonder in what format it'll be released.

According to the product page, it'll be released as two omnibuses in November this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Squidster posted:

According to the product page, it'll be released as two omnibuses in November this year.

That's actually only the first omni, comprising volumes 1-2. Second omni was dated for the following February, and that's all we got so far.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Ah, poo poo. So are we talking five books or ten? I have no idea how many issues constitute a volume.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Should be five books with the format they announced. Would be nice if
we can get them less than two months apart each time but I guess that's comic books for you.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I'm very grateful for this thread! I had no idea that Hoshi no Samidare was about to get an official English release until now. Can't wait to have a copy on my bookshelf. It's also great to know that Mizukami's other work is so good too; I'll have to read them all.

Hoshi no Samidare is great in comic format, but like probably everyone else who's read it I wish it had an anime too. It would have some brilliant action scenes. I remember running into a drama CD of it a bunch of years ago which had some good voice staff cast. Houko Kuwashima as Yayoi worked really well.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New Spirit Circle out on Crunchyroll, looks like reincarnation doesn't care about chronological order.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
First thing that came to mind.

New guess? Fortuna/Koko/East/Rune aren't from a particular time period, but rather a Chrono Trigger "End of Time" sort of place. Reincarnation is Fortuna's attempt to change/control history.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

New guess? Fortuna/Koko/East/Rune aren't from a particular time period, but rather a Chrono Trigger "End of Time" sort of place. Reincarnation is Fortuna's attempt to change/control history.

This manga :stare:

Up until this point I'd been rolling with the idea of them being from an Atlantisesque lost civilization (or Zeal, if you prefer), but yes I suppose if we're now adding in dark future as an element then if we want the present day to have any true effect then I suppose this makes the most sense.

Of course if I remember right, whatever Koko hates Fortuna for, East claims it as an attempt by Fortuna to save East.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

Allarion posted:

New Spirit Circle out on Crunchyroll, looks like reincarnation doesn't care about chronological order.
I wonder if this why there are only 7 lives and not an infinite stack. Maybe humanity's future is just dreaming in the Matrix forever, with all their souls locked in their severed brainstems until the world ends. I'm not sure if that's terrifying, or wonderful, or what. It's definitely a thing.

Of course, now that the Matrix is real, we have no proof that Fuuta's daily life isn't a simulation.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Okay, poo poo got weird in an unexpected way. I sure didn't expect the possibility of Descarte's Demon.

I guess the reincarnations being out-of-order made sense, the medieval incarnation where the MC got his scar somehow occurred before the Roman/Egyptian incarnation.

jaydee864
Aug 15, 2010

Life is such a drag when the whole world's falling apart
Anyone else notice Lafalle and Lapis' prosthetics correspond to the injuries suffered by Houtarou and Iwana? I thought that was a neat touch, though I wonder if anything will come of it.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

jaydee864 posted:

Anyone else notice Lafalle and Lapis' prosthetics correspond to the injuries suffered by Houtarou and Iwana? I thought that was a neat touch, though I wonder if anything will come of it.

Yeah, that was my immediate thought as well.

On a different note. I wonder if his "crime" in this reality will be the shutting down of the tower releasing all the "trapped" spirits within so the cycle of re-incarnation can continue and the balance between the living and the "dead get restored. Lapis not taking it very well. Either that or Lapis doing the same but in that case Fortuna's reference to a "rehash" which is "close" to something he did which Kouko considers a crime or great sin would make little sense.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!

Munin posted:

On a different note. I wonder if his "crime" in this reality will be the shutting down of the tower releasing all the "trapped" spirits within so the cycle of re-incarnation can continue and the balance between the living and the "dead get restored. Lapis not taking it very well. Either that or Lapis doing the same but in that case Fortuna's reference to a "rehash" which is "close" to something he did which Kouko considers a crime or great sin would make little sense.

It could still work if Lapis causes something big, since it could mirror (ho ho ho ) what Fortuna may have done. That would certainly serve as Fuuta's hint why Koko hates his guts still.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Looks like someone found some Sengoku Youko scans of volume 11, because here's a new chapter :buddy:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

d'awww
:3:

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
And here's a oneshot from Mizukami's 3rd volume of misc works (the "Tanpenshuu" series): http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/wani-onii-san-r11617

onii-san :kimchi:

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Onii-san should get himself some glasses so he can be as stylin' as Croc from Kyoko Okazaki's Pink.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Epoxy Bulletin posted:

And here's a oneshot from Mizukami's 3rd volume of misc works (the "Tanpenshuu" series): http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/wani-onii-san-r11617

onii-san :kimchi:

This is so good. So good!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sort of similar to this short story he did a long time ago, just with a crocodile instead of a frog.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
23 http://www.crunchyroll.com/comics/manga/spirit-circle/volumes

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

It is interesting to see that all of his lives are collapsing into each other, and ghosts of his future selves haunt the past in a casuality-defying way. This feels like a setup chapter, unfortunately, and because the nature of his future life is so monotonous and ascetic, it's not as interesting to read as the usual installments. I'm still pumped for next month's chapter.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Man the explanation in the end for how the things in Spirit Circle work is going to be CrAzY.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Turns out that the model for time in this manga is a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Considering the parallel injuries on Lapis, I can't help but wonder if she was an infiltrator from the Luddite group.

I can't help but be reminded of Peter Watt's Blindsight, a story about humanity being supplanted by its technological innovations and gradually waiting to die. Something like half the population has willingly migrated into cyberspace, insulated and irrelevant to the physical world. And yes, there were were regular terrorist bombings against upload centres as well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Sengoku Youko 59

Yessssss

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I cannot stop laughing at that face, holy crap. :xd:

edit: a day later and still giggling about it, it's just so perfect.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 21, 2014

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010
Spirit Circle 24
Actually probably been up for a few weeks now but nobody posted it!

Oh hey it's that guy from chapter 9

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Thanks, Crunchyroll never seems to update when I check so I never wind up seeing new chapters until someone posts about them in the thread.

I get the feeling the next chapter is going to be really crazy. It's been building up a lot more than previous arcs.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

They really need to somehow make their new chapter notifications for things i have bookmarked way more obvious, I swear I checked to see if there was an update several times too.

Nate RFB posted:

I get the feeling the next chapter is going to be really crazy. It's been building up a lot more than previous arcs.

Definitely seems that way for me too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Aaaaaand back on the Sengoku Youko train.

E: Yeah this fight is gonna be a good 'un :ssj:

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 26, 2014

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The bit about his arm cracked me up, because I was just starting to remember that myself. Lousy place to stop the chapter though. :mad::f5:

edit:

a kitten posted:

They really need to somehow make their new chapter notifications for things i have bookmarked way more obvious, I swear I checked to see if there was an update several times too.

And just today they've updated the app to send push notifications and have way better bookmarks and everything. Seems waaaay better, at least on the ipad-the browser version seems unchanged.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 26, 2014

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I like how Tama apparently Can Not Handle This poo poo anymore. It's gotten too crazy even for a fox demon with magical powers.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
Mountain god is loving this poo poo so much :allears:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

It took me a second to remember where things left off and for a sec I thought that was another rock where someone would be freed. :smith:

Nate RFB posted:

I like how Tama apparently Can Not Handle This poo poo anymore. It's gotten too crazy even for a fox demon with magical powers.

I also love that. :D

That chapter was certainly an excellent kickoff to that fight.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer is apparently up for pre-order on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Lucifer-Biscuit-Hammer-Vol-1-2/dp/1626920850/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1404012670&sr=1-1&keywords=biscuit+hammer

So pre-order away if that is your sort of thing to do.

Nate RFB posted:

A jargogle posted:

Mountain god is loving this poo poo so much :allears:

She's the best character that I'm happy I'll never meet.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
New Spirit Circle on Crunchyroll! I enjoy it when Sci-fi doesn't kill off humanity by war and conflict, but does something that is equally damaging or culture-altering. I find it a more interesting spin than just setting society during or after the apocalypse.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Man, I think I like Spirit Circle even more than Biscuit Hammer. It's hitting all the right notes of fantasy and sci-fi.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think the way I would look at it is that Mizukami had previously balanced his particular flavor of characterization with strong action settings, and with Spirit Circle he's set aside most semblances of action and put all of his energy into his characters and story. And the end result has been wonderful.

Allarion posted:

New Spirit Circle on Crunchyroll! I enjoy it when Sci-fi doesn't kill off humanity by war and conflict, but does something that is equally damaging or culture-altering. I find it a more interesting spin than just setting society during or after the apocalypse.
I'm not sure if it was ever disputed before, but I think we can be sure that Fuuta's and Kouko's souls are following a linear path through each life from our perspective but non-linear from the actual timeline. Houtarou ends with them seemingly reconciled and that led to their seemingly friendly relations in Lafalle's time. Which means something is sure to go horribly wrong.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

Nate RFB posted:

I'm not sure if it was ever disputed before, but I think we can be sure that Fuuta's and Kouko's souls are following a linear path through each life from our perspective but non-linear from the actual timeline. Houtarou ends with them seemingly reconciled and that led to their seemingly friendly relations in Lafalle's time. Which means something is sure to go horribly wrong.

I'm betting that this is the incarnation where they rediscover the spirit circles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

a kitten posted:

She's the best character that I'm happy I'll never meet.

Yeah, she's great! She's got this delightful sort of bored whimsy to her that I think is perfect for an immortal, godlike being.

I just wish her kimono wasn't half falling off!