Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zergstain
Dec 15, 2005

Where's this zap the cap thing? I'm not finding it on TekSavvy's site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

zergstain posted:

on for example this page.

http://teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/cable/cable-25

Unlimited Usage between 2am and 8am

For our cable customers we are offering unlimited usage between 2am and 8am. This allows our customers to download large items free of charge during this time period. Items downloaded during this time do not count toward your Bandwidth limit.

I'm guessing this depends on province and area thou.

Also holy crap do their prices in ontario suck.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Sprawl posted:

on for example this page.

http://teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/cable/cable-25

Unlimited Usage between 2am and 8am

For our cable customers we are offering unlimited usage between 2am and 8am. This allows our customers to download large items free of charge during this time period. Items downloaded during this time do not count toward your Bandwidth limit.

I'm guessing this depends on province and area thou.

Also holy crap do their prices in ontario suck.

That's not Zap the Cap, that feature has been around forever. Zap the Cap is a brand new feature that will lower your bandwidth during peak hours. In return, you get an unlimited cap. So for example, I have Cable 20/2. They will lower my cable speed to a max of 9mbit/s during 8pm to 12am.

zergstain posted:

https://myaccount.teksavvy.com/

Go there and either sign up or log in.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

kiwid posted:

That's not Zap the Cap, that feature has been around forever. Zap the Cap is a brand new feature that will lower your bandwidth during peak hours. In return, you get an unlimited cap. So for example, I have Cable 20/2. They will lower my cable speed to a max of 9mbit/s during 8pm to 12am.

So if I'm reading their forum posts correctly, if I got 150/10, every day from 8pm-12am my speeds would be reduced to 75/10, but I'd be guaranteed zero overages? If that's the case $87 a month versus $220 seems to be much more enticing.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/sk-56_metric_e.html

Issued: 4:00 PM MST Friday 28 February 2014
Wind chill warning in effect.
Tonight, 28 February
Partly cloudy. Becoming clear this evening. Wind northwest 20 km/h gusting to 40 becoming light this evening. Low minus 36. Extreme wind chill minus 49.

At these extreme wind chill values frostbite on exposed skin may occur in less than 3 minutes.

I wonder if they're related.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Methanar posted:

http://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/sk-56_metric_e.html

Issued: 4:00 PM MST Friday 28 February 2014
Wind chill warning in effect.
Tonight, 28 February
Partly butty. Becoming clear this evening. Wind northwest 20 km/h gusting to 40 becoming light this evening. Low minus 36. Extreme wind chill minus 49.

At these extreme wind chill values frostbite on exposed skin may occur in less than 3 minutes.

I wonder if they're related.

If the bits get too cold they freeze and clog up the tubes.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Dudebro posted:

You guys only have Teksavvy as a third party option? I'm on Distributel on the unlimited option.

Teksavvy is one of the only major independents that is available throughout Canada, yes. Distributel is less widespread, and actually a bit more expensive than Teksavvy on an equivalent unlimited plan. I've also heard many good things about Electronic Box, though they are only available in Quebec and Ontario.

I'm just glad that the cable operator in Quebec is Videotron and not Rogers. Though Videotron are a bunch of scumbags, they don't seem to hinder independents as Rogers has in Ontario.

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
I've actually had very good experience with Teksavvy Cable (Videotron) whenever they had to send a tech out. All the techs were friendly, got the job done, and quickly.

From what I was told, they actually treat the 3rd party ISP's quite nicely v:shobon:v

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

Migishu posted:

I've actually had very good experience with Teksavvy Cable (Videotron) whenever they had to send a tech out. All the techs were friendly, got the job done, and quickly.

From what I was told, they actually treat the 3rd party ISP's quite nicely v:shobon:v

God damnit.

Of the 3 times I've had to get TekSavvy to send me a Cogeco tech, the tech has never shown up once (the issue magically gets fixed without the tech that day, every time). I actually took loving vacation days to sit at home without internet. Actually, the last time I got my retired dad to come over to my place and wait for the no show tech, just so I could go to work.

kiwid fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 1, 2014

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Dudebro posted:

You guys only have Teksavvy as a third party option? I'm on Distributel on the unlimited option. Currently my internet is down, but I think it was because the windy weather here in Toronto knocked something out of place. Their customer service has been great so far. Can't say the same for Acanac, which isn't even open on the weekends as far as I know. I used to use Acanac. There's also https://www.start.ca as well, but I'm not sure about their coverage areas. I believe they're the only third party that resells Cogeco's areas.

My parents are with Acanac out in Oakville, and to hear Dad talk about it the outfit is run by monkeys.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

kiwid posted:

gg, TekSavyy, now I have to have 3 separate logins for your site.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chris Knight posted:

gg, TekSavyy, now I have to have 3 separate logins for your site.

I was already signed up for this, but since the relaunch I've had to re-register my account. I have no idea what they're doing with the constant customer portal rebuilds.

Regarding start.ca, I just got my girlfriend set up with their 25/2 cable service, using an old SB6120 I had used with Teksavvy a couple years ago. They managed to correctly activate the modem and the tech showed up on schedule. It was amazing.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Videotron just increased my rate by a dollar a month while citing some nebulous statement about all the improvements my service has enjoyed. I can't recall any sort of improvements to my service that has been noticeable in the past year. Same speed, same throughput, same pathetic data cap. I wonder how they came about that justification.

Oh an apparently I'm receiving one of the best price/service ratios in the country!

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

DSauer posted:

Videotron just increased my rate by a dollar a month while citing some nebulous statement about all the improvements my service has enjoyed. I can't recall any sort of improvements to my service that has been noticeable in the past year. Same speed, same throughput, same pathetic data cap. I wonder how they came about that justification.

Oh an apparently I'm receiving one of the best price/service ratios in the country!

You are.

Just the best of dog poo poo though.

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 25, 2014

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
Do we have any Telus goons lurking around? I'm currently with Shaw but my node is at 100% at prime time 8-11 and I've been lucky enough to talk with a goon who works with Shaw to skip all the tedious trouble shooting steps. Since Shaw can't really fix the problem I've been considering switching and would love to have a decent contact inside Telus to discuss my options / availability in my area.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The telus self serve website has a qualification tool which should give you a decent idea of what's available.

Start the process of "order now" to see what's available.
http://www.telus.com/internet/

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?
Thinking about switching to Start.ca from TekSavvy. For $20 less a month, I can go from unlimited 45/4Mbps to unlimited 45/10Mbps. My only concern with switching is the unlimited policy I found on start's website. It's possible TekSavvy does the same thing and I've just never noticed it but I don't want to get limited on the days where I go through a lot of data.

Start.ca Unlimited Policy posted:

Unlimited usage policy

Our unlimited usage plans are great for customers who don't want to worry about watching a meter to avoid overage fees.

As these plans are not designed to be dedicated connections nor for continuous 24/7 use, in order to keep our network fast and robust at all times we have created an unlimited usage policy that ensures fair access to the network for all users. Specifically, if a customer on an unlimited plan is disproportionately contributing to network congestion, then they may have their network priority temporarily adjusted to ensure the quality of the network for other customers during peak periods.

With our unlimited usage policy we take the worry out of overages and still maintain a fast and reliable network.

Are their any heavy bandwidth users on Start.ca on Ontario? Have you had any issues with this?

I don't max my connection constantly, but I definitely can go through a lot of bandwidth in a day and don't want my VoIP or Netflix effected just because I downloaded a 20GB game that morning.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

You might want to clarify with them but I doubt a 20gb game is an issue more the 24hr torrent people.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm with start and I've done 20+GB in a day without issue. As slidebite said I think that is there mainly so they have some recourse against people getting unlimited and attempting terabytes of traffic per month.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
Yeah, I think it's just terabyte-levels of transfer or maybe excessive uploading.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

CBC story on why uploads completely blow.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/why-internet-upload-speed-in-canada-lags-world-average-1.2578682

quote:

“In the past couple of years, we have tripled or quadrupled the upload speeds for our most popular tiers,” says Rob Goodman, senior director of internet product management at Rogers.

That's nothing to be proud of you chucklefuck.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

slidebite posted:

God, I know the feeling. I stuck with a 10Mbps/1.5Mbps because for the most part I don't need that much bandwidth. But the disparity between download and upload speed really kills me when working from home and I have to check in a large data asset through Perforce. Sync up in a minute, make a small change, then submit and wait 15 minutes. :argh:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

My little fibre-to-the-condo ISP that people were making fun of earlier (for having a typo on their homepage) just updated all their plans to symmetrical speeds. My $43 25/10 is now 30/30.

edit:

quote:

Our 10/5 package will be upgraded to 15/15 for the SAME price of $29.99.
Our 25/10 package will be upgraded to 30/30 for the SAME price of $42.99.
Our 50/15 package will be upgraded to 55/55 for the LOWER price of $49.99.
Our 75/20 package will be upgraded to 80/80 for the LOWER price of $79.99.
All of our packages include UNLIMITED usage so no fear of overage charges.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 20, 2014

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Jan posted:

God, I know the feeling. I stuck with a 10Mbps/1.5Mbps because for the most part I don't need that much bandwidth. But the disparity between download and upload speed really kills me when working from home and I have to check in a large data asset through Perforce. Sync up in a minute, make a small change, then submit and wait 15 minutes. :argh:

20/1 (down from 20/2 with no warning, working on bitching about that) with no caps. I can go 40/2 or higher, but then its almost $50 a month between the boost and then needing to purchase the "Unlimited Plan" for $35 more. Working from home blows in Canada in most markets hahah.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Oh My Science posted:

Do we have any Telus goons lurking around? I'm currently with Shaw but my node is at 100% at prime time 8-11 and I've been lucky enough to talk with a goon who works with Shaw to skip all the tedious trouble shooting steps. Since Shaw can't really fix the problem I've been considering switching and would love to have a decent contact inside Telus to discuss my options / availability in my area.

Mines been good for me. I live in downtown Calgary and went with Telus because I was worried about over saturation. So far my 50Mbps service has been rock solid.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

slidebite posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/why-internet-upload-speed-in-canada-lags-world-average-1.2578682

That's nothing to be proud of you chucklefuck.

I can't find it now but there was a pretty good thread on DSLReports from a purported Rogers engineer that talked about why the upload speeds have and will be brutal for a while. Their network is a clusterfuck of Docsis 1, 2 and 3 with tons of different equipment setups at the head end that varied greatly from region to region. Some areas could support everything Docsis 3 had to offer upload wise but others were way behind. Until Rogers can get all the regions on modern equipment they're stuck offering the lowest common denominator across the board.

Since its wired and they're making shitloads on wireless its not really a priority.

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....
It's amazing what happens when companies actually have competition for business. Compare Rogers in Ontario (where it seems to have an agreement to not compete with Bell) to Rogers in NL and NB.

Rogers Extreme ON: $67.99/mo. 35/3. 120GB cap.
Rogers Extreme NL/NB: $51.99/mo. 30/10. 500GB cap.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

slush posted:

It's amazing what happens when companies actually have competition for business. Compare Rogers in Ontario (where it seems to have an agreement to not compete with Bell) to Rogers in NL and NB.

Rogers Extreme ON: $67.99/mo. 35/3. 120GB cap.
Rogers Extreme NL/NB: $51.99/mo. 30/10. 500GB cap.

Nothing to do with "competition" and more to do with the pre-existing infrastructure.

slush
Jun 23, 2006
Thank you for calling....

Chris Knight posted:

Nothing to do with "competition" and more to do with the pre-existing infrastructure.

It's almost completely to do with competition. Aliant actually tries to compete for customers out east. I know it seems like a foreign concept and stuff. They have done a complete network rebuild with Fibre to the home in most major cities and towns in Atlantic Canada, and have pushed Rogers out quite a bit in their prime Atlantic territories (St. John's, Moncton, Saint John, Fredericton, etc).

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
gg Rogers

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I saw a lot of people whining about TekSavvy last night, but yeah, didn't seem to have much to do with them in this case.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

My internet ate poo poo completely during that so I read a book

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

teethgrinder posted:

I saw a lot of people whining about TekSavvy last night, but yeah, didn't seem to have much to do with them in this case.

Yeah my TekSavvy was down last night due to Rogers. They gave us some connectivity after 30-60 minutes but still pretty unreliable and speed tests were coming back with 1-2mbps at most. Everything was back to normal for me this morning.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Maybe they were just forcing people to participate in Earth Hour.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
According to teksavvy twitter it was cable down in all of Ontario til past midnight last night. Mine was slow as molasses.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
drat, glad I was out with friends last night, or I'd have gone bugfuck.

kiwid
Sep 30, 2013

More issues with TekSavvy cable tonight (is it really a surprise?)

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/r29144871-Slow-Service

cka
May 3, 2004

slush posted:

It's almost completely to do with competition. Aliant actually tries to compete for customers out east. I know it seems like a foreign concept and stuff. They have done a complete network rebuild with Fibre to the home in most major cities and towns in Atlantic Canada, and have pushed Rogers out quite a bit in their prime Atlantic territories (St. John's, Moncton, Saint John, Fredericton, etc).

They're starting to compete in Ontario too. I'm getting a $10 reduction in my bill for no good reason (aka the best reason), and they've nixed the caps on all their >50mbit internet packages. I hope at some point we get the Atlantic speed boost from 2013 where everybody got bumped up to 80/30 from 50/30 free, but I won't be crushed if it doesn't happen. I'm already overjoyed that I can get something above 10mbps both ways and stays above 10mbps both ways.

Also good news for people that run a school or business in Ontario's cottage country! But not residential, because y'know. http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/1gb-internet-service-offered-to-muskoka-almaguin-municipalities-1.2588775

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

kiwid posted:

More issues with TekSavvy cable tonight (is it really a surprise?)

https://secure.dslreports.com/forum/r29144871-Slow-Service

Yeah... :sigh:

Still, better than loving Rogers™.

Rogers delenda est