Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Peanut President posted:

Well yeah but acting like the Soviet Union wasn't just a new fancy name for Imperial Russia is a bit laughable.

edit: Still a long goddamn time regardless.

The Crimea was officially transferred to the Ukrainian SSR in 1954 from the Russian SSR. If it hadn't been, Crimea would belonged to Russia after the Soviet breakup.

Also, :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Also, it was basically official policy to de-tatar the region by deporting tatars to different regions and importing russians. Happened to a lot of historically nonrussian parts of Russia to solidify claims to the territory.

e: heh, tartars.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Mar 1, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I think one of these is a re-post.

(cross posted from the Ukraine thread)

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/12/09/this-one-map-helps-explain-ukraines-protests/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Ukraine

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2014/01/24/this-is-the-one-map-you-need-to-understand-ukraines-crisis/

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Star Man posted:

Now I'm curious how that works.

Kamrat posted:

Scandinavia has this thing called The Law of Jante that basically states "You're not special and don't think that you are"
That, and realizing you have very little connection to where some of your ancestors used to live puts you on the same side as most Scandinavians on the question of the Scandinavian character of (most) "Scandinavian-Americans". Even more so probably with Danish-Americans though, since the Danes that immigrated to the US behaved very differently from their Nordic brethren. Where the Swedes, Norwegians and Finns settled in specific regions in large numbers, Danes pretty universally went all-in on becoming integrated into American society, settling wherever and learning English as fast as they could. Denmark was also less hosed than the other Nordic countries at the time, being on the receiving end of Swedish immigration during the same period, so that would have made assimilation even easier.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Cross-posted from the Eastern Europe thread, apparently Putin and his friends take this nationalist wankfest seriously:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundations_of_Geopolitics

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

What exactly am I looking at here and why?

e: oh god why did I notice this. No American should be this aware of other countries. I am a bad American.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 2, 2014

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Schizotek posted:

Westernmost Ukraine- mostly Galicia, looks like- is independent of Russia and is instead within Germany's sphere, because those savages like the decadent west for some reason or some such reasoning.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Schizotek posted:

Nicholas II wet dream.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Schizotek posted:

Russia annexing most of eastern Europe and eastern/southern Balkans, dividing Ukraine and Bosnia between Russia and Germany.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Russia makes all these territorial gains in the Balkans but gives Kaliningrad/Königsberg back to Germany for some reason, despite it being populated by Russians?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Mar 2, 2014

3peat
May 6, 2010

Schizotek posted:

e: oh god why did I notice this. No American should be this aware of other countries. I am a bad American.

It's explained right there in the link:

quote:

Romania, Macedonia, "Serbian Bosnia" and Greece - "orthodox collectivist East" - will unite with the "Moscow the Third Rome" and reject the "rational-individualistic West".[1]

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

3peat posted:

It's explained right there in the link:

I was specifically talking about the Ukraine weirdness.

Fascist Wetdream posted:

Ukraine should be annexed by Russia because "Ukraine as an independent state with certain territorial ambitions represents an enormous danger for all of Eurasia and, without resolving the Ukrainian problem, it is in general senseless to speak about continental politics". Ukraine should not be allowed to remain independent, unless it is sanitary cordon, which would be inadmissible
Doesn't mention dividing it up.

e: So if China is being dismantled anyway, why is Inner Mongolia not annexed with the rest of Mongolia. Seriously the entire thing is :psyduck:

e2: just noticed Taiwan was given back to China. And the Koreas are united in their love of Mother Russia. It never ends.

Schizotek fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Mar 2, 2014

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Schizotek posted:

I was specifically talking about the Ukraine weirdness.

Doesn't mention dividing it up.

e: So if China is being dismantled anyway, why is Inner Mongolia not annexed with the rest of Mongolia. Seriously the entire thing is :psyduck:

Welcome to the hilarious world of eastern European nationalism. :v:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I can only guess they wanted to keep a Lviv rump state as a place to push all the anti-Russian Ukrainians into.

Clapham Omnibus
Nov 11, 2006

quote:

Romania, Macedonia, "Serbian Bosnia" and Greece - "orthodox collectivist East" - will unite with the "Moscow the Third Rome" and reject the "rational-individualistic West".[1]

This guy obviously plays paradox games, where’s the part about resurrecting the glorious Byzantine Empire?

quote:

Russia should use its special forces within the borders of the United States to fuel instability and separatism. For instance, provoke "Afro-American racists". Russia should "introduce geopolitical disorder into internal American activity, encouraging all kinds of separatism and ethnic, social and racial conflicts, actively supporting all dissident movements – extremist, racist, and sectarian groups, thus destabilizing internal political processes in the U.S. It would also make sense simultaneously to support isolationist tendencies in American politics."[1]

Dismantled USA? Yep definitely paradox game player.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

From my limited knowledge about internal American differences... Am I wrong that this proposed division of the USA seems a bit unlikely, in that IF the USA would fall apart, it would not be along these lines?

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Torrannor posted:

From my limited knowledge about internal American differences... Am I wrong that this proposed division of the USA seems a bit unlikely, in that IF the USA would fall apart, it would not be along these lines?

Definitely for one thing when a nation falls apart it doesn't get neat little borders. For the resulting states.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Torrannor posted:

That looks like a mid-game screenshot from the popular Kaiserreich mod for Paradox Interactives WW2 simulator Hearts of Iron. In that mod, the US quickly falls into a civil war between the American Union State (the cream colored country, meant to be based out of Lousiana), the Combined Syndicates of America (The red one, an industrial syndicalist collective), and the USA (blue), with the Pacific States of America (green) declaring independence and neutrality.

From what I can tell from that screenshot, either the civil war is ongoing or it ended with everyone losing to some degree. The AUS gained the prairies but lost the old South, the CSA kept its industrial heartland but failed to expand, and the USA only barely kept the Eastern seaboard. About the only winners were the PSA, who seem to have expanded about as far as they can do peacefully in the game.

If this is the actual peaceful outcome and not a mid-war screenshot, it'd be a rare one. In my experience, one side usually wins out in the East, then eats the PSA.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011

SirKibbles posted:

Definitely for one thing when a nation falls apart it doesn't get neat little borders. For the resulting states.

Well, the post-USSR states did, because they already had neat little borders as the republics of the Soviet Union. This is probably why the Russian professor mentioned above thinks America is going to break up along neat lines too: if it happened to the USSR, surely it's going to happen to the US too (which is probably his reasoning for the entire collapse to begin with).

stereobreadsticks
Feb 28, 2008

Fabulous Knight posted:

Well, the post-USSR states did, because they already had neat little borders as the republics of the Soviet Union. This is probably why the Russian professor mentioned above thinks America is going to break up along neat lines too: if it happened to the USSR, surely it's going to happen to the US too (which is probably his reasoning for the entire collapse to begin with).

Except even those didn't really turn out as neat as you'd expect. In addition to the frozen conflicts and unrecognized states of Abkhazia, South Ossetia, Transnistria, and Nagorno-Karabakh there were also major separatist movements in Gagauzia, Ajaria, and of course various parts of the North Caucasus. Not to mention smaller separatist movements in places like Tatarstan, the ongoing tensions between western and eastern Ukraine, especially the current crisis in Crimea, and the civil war in Tajikistan which could quite easily have led to the break up of that country.

Edited for content:
The South Caucasus, showing Nagorno-Karabakh, South Ossetia, Abkhazia, and Ajaria. Also worth noting is Nakhchivan, which is an exclave of Azerbaijan separated from the rest of the country by Armenia and the breakaway Nagorno-Karabakh. The borders between Armenia and Azerbaijan and Nagorno-Karabakh and Azerbaijan are closed because they are technically still at war, which means that Nakhchivanis must either fly or transit through Iran to get to the rest of their country. As you might expect in this situation Nakhchivan exercises substantial autonomy and often acts independently. For instance Nakhchivan recognizes the independence of North Cyprus but Azerbaijan doesn't.

The North Caucasus, showing travel warnings from the British Foreign Office which correspond quite well with areas with strong separatist movements. From highlighted in red and orange, from east to west are Dagestan, Chechnya, Ingushetia, North Ossetia, Kabardino-Balkaria, and Karachay-Cherkessia. All of those divisions either have or have in the past had separatist movements, either secular nationalist or Islamist or both. It's my understanding that currently the primary separatist movement in the region is the Caucasian Emirate which seeks to establish an Islamic state throughout the North Caucasus.

Moldova, showing Transnistria, which is a de facto independent state, as well as Gagauzia, which is an autonomous area within Moldova that for a brief time attempted to secede and which had a referendum this year advocating integration with Russia and secession from Moldova should Moldova pursue European integration.

Tatarstan and the neighboring Republic of Bashkortostan. In 1992 Tatarstan held a referendum on a new constitution which defined it as a sovereign state, this passed with 62% of the vote. New articles were added to this constitution in 2002 that defined it as being a part of the Russian Federation and it seems unlikely that a strong independence movement will develop there, but there is a fairly important party that advocates for independence so you never know. Bashkortostan has a similar history though without quite as strong of a sovereignty movement.

Tajikistan during the civil war. I can't really vouch for how accurate this map is, I GISed "Tajik civil war map" and this was the only thing that came up that showed any kind of territorial breakdown. I know that the green area to the east is Gorno-Badakhshan, an autonomous province that has never really been particularly comfortable within Tajikistan. The red area to the north was originally placed within Uzbekistan in the Soviet era and still has a large Uzbek population, and the blue area to the south was the center of Islamist rebellion, not surprisingly since it borders Afghanistan.

stereobreadsticks fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 2, 2014

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Torrannor posted:

Minnesota and Texas in the same political bloc? Georgia and Massachusetts? Yeah no. Earlier in the thread there've been some better (but still mostly laughable) attempts to redraw the states, but this particular map is a new tier of ridiculous.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

chairface posted:

Minnesota and Texas in the same political bloc? Georgia and Massachusetts? Yeah no. Earlier in the thread there've been some better (but still mostly laughable) attempts to redraw the states, but this particular map is a new tier of ridiculous.

That's because its not a break up map.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I'm pretty sure that's a screenshot from a really old version where the American Union State got the Great Plains instead of all of the South.

If so that's a goddamn old version of KR.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

PittTheElder posted:

Not to mention this:

I really wonder if Ukraine isn't going to wind up splitting up sometime soon, with a big chunk of the East acceding to Russia. The atrocious way the EU is handling the recession there isn't going to do them any favours.

:ironicat:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

I'm pretty sure that's a screenshot from a really old version where the American Union State got the Great Plains instead of all of the South.

Having Huey Long's base centered along the Mississippi and agrarian Great Plains seems to make more sense to me than Huey Long in charge of the CSAtotally not the CSA and there will never be a CSA in Kaiserreich. :shrug:

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Badger of Basra posted:

Why are there more Russians in Crimea than in the provinces(?) actually bordering Russia?

Historically, Crimea was largely inhabited during the 1600-1700s by a group of people called Crimean Tatars, Muslim descendants of the Mongols from the area. They were loyal to the Ottomans, and the Crimean Peninisula and a little of what would be now the Ukrainian Coastline was an independent Tatar state, separate from Ukraine. They were also pretty kickass and raided into Poland and Russia all the time to capture slaves for the Ottomans. Then, during the late 1600s-1700s Russia conquered the entire area, Ukraine (from the P-L Commonwealth) and Crimea.

At some point the Russians expelled a large portion of the Tatars to the Ottoman Empire, and the vacuum was filled by ethnic Russians to take over the farmland and ports left over.

Funny thing, when the Soviet Union took over and held on to Ukraine and Crimea, during its early history the Soviets had a phase where they wanted to encourage "regional nationalism" along with a greater emphasis on Soviet unity. That meant each little SSR inside the Soviet Union had their own regional newspapers, politics in their language. Since the Crimea Peninsula was connected to the Ukrainian SSR for economic reasons that meant all newspapers needed to be published in Ukrainian, even though in the Crimea the majority of people had no idea how to speak or read Ukrainian. So one morning all the Russians and Tatars woke up to find their newspapers and radios were in a language they had no experience in, because someone in Moscow thought it'd be a cool idea.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Mister Adequate posted:

That's the original HoI2 map, so yeah its probably pretty old.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

Having Huey Long's base centered along the Mississippi and agrarian Great Plains seems to make more sense to me than Huey Long in charge of the CSAtotally not the CSA and there will never be a CSA in Kaiserreich. :shrug:

I think there was probably a balance issue or something. The team hasn't known what the hell to do with the ACW for a long time.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Should have keep studying German after high school, drat it.

Wallonia warms the cockles of my heart though :unsmith:

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
You'll probably see Svoboda increase in the coming elections though, which isn't a good thing :(

Results of the Second Round of the 2010 Ukranian Presidential Elections. The difference in support between Tymoshenko and Janukovych is literally where the language difference occurs in Ukraine - I can't find a map of it right now, but its loving exact.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

With the way things are going, the Danish People's Party will be the largest party in Denmark by the next election. Not exaggerating here. Good times.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
What's the common thread through Switzerland, Austria, and Hungary?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Dusseldorf posted:

What's the common thread through Switzerland, Austria, and Hungary?
The 47th parallel north.

E: Of course also the home of the Habsburgs, from beginning through middle to end.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Mar 4, 2014

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I like how the far right in Russia are named "Liberal Democratic Party of Russia" :v:

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Disco Infiva posted:

I like how the far right in Russia are named "Liberal Democratic Party of Russia" :v:

They actually changed their name recently to just "LDPR". And maybe next "The Party Formerly Known As LDPR".

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The 47th parallel north.

E: Of course also the home of the Habsburgs, from beginning through middle to end.

Habsburgs in Switzerland? Well, technically yes, but they never ruled over the Swiss Confederacy.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Not all of those parties are the same level of crazy. The Progress Party in Norway wants to limit immigration, lower taxes, and cut social programs. The British National Party wants to kick out all the non-white people, ban public expression of homosexuality, and create a police state. It's pretty misleading to lump them in the same category.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

Disco Infiva posted:

Zhirinovsky is probably the most insane, yet most entertaining politician anywhere ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Torrannor posted:

Habsburgs in Switzerland? Well, technically yes, but they never ruled over the Swiss Confederacy.
That's unfair, the Old Swiss Confederacy wouldn't exist for another 4 centuries. It's like saying Martin Luther didn't live in Germany. :colbert:

Konstantin posted:

Not all of those parties are the same level of crazy. The Progress Party in Norway wants to limit immigration, lower taxes, and cut social programs. The British National Party wants to kick out all the non-white people, ban public expression of homosexuality, and create a police state. It's pretty misleading to lump them in the same category.
Basically, Britain should count the Tories, not the BNP. (Ignoring the question of how voting systems affects voting.)