Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I figure the train is a poltergeist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think the Ghost Train is a tool. At the least, it's made out of metal that Forge can use to, well, forge stuff, according to him. Presumably it has some physical substance; this is also why its power (making things move out of its way) is important to it. It'd be pointless (excluding when it comes to the barrier) if it could just phase through things like other ghosts.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Mar 1, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

True that it's made out of stuff Forge could use... but if it was a tool, surely normal people would be able to see it?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Maybe they can. I mean, they're probably choo-chooing at night for a reason. They way I figure it the Ghost Train is a spirit that has possessed an entire train as its tool.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Maybe they can. So far we haven't seen it anywhere normal people would likely encounter it. And a giant train speeding through the woods would be just as weird as a teacher and some kids flying through the trees (possibly literally, assuming they can't see it distort the area around it either), so either way it probably has to try for secrecy.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Hmm, those dogs show up with a different energy color every time they respawn. I wonder if they have a fixed number of lives?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I just assumed that they were different dogs.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Darth Windu posted:

What is the point of the second to last panel?

AnonSpore posted:

I think they're finally noticing that the train's insides are starting to change from train car to stomach.

Roland Jones posted:

Man, what is Max's aura doing in that second-to-last panel> It's getting weird and tendril-y, and it seems to be moving towards the pixeldogs rather than upwards like the stuff normally does.

Combination of these, I suspect-Isabel is just noticing that the walls have become dripping, and Max appears to be distracted by whatever it is his aura's doing. Have we ever seen an aura act like that?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That 'Woof' 'Meow' is one of the funniest little moments of dickishness I've seen, incidentally.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

MikeJF posted:

That 'Woof' 'Meow' is one of the funniest little moments of dickishness I've seen, incidentally.

Yeah, it was great. I like to imagine they were actually "woof" and "meow" pronounced phonetically instead of actual bark/meows, just to ramp up the dickishness.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, that's cracking me up as I look at the strip again as well. The pixeldogs are just such jerks.

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?
Also, we've got confirmation that Isabel is scared of dogs so her grandpa telling her years older sparring partner her phobias so she could exploit them in battle and put her in her place confirms him as ultimate douche character of 2013.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I bet the fear of dogs has something to do with her missing parents.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Coach Sport posted:

Also, we've got confirmation that Isabel is scared of dogs so her grandpa telling her years older sparring partner her phobias so she could exploit them in battle and put her in her place confirms him as ultimate douche character of 2013.

Man, I absolutely did not understand that until now. I thought it was a dragon. I was like, she's scared of dragons? Okay?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Combination of these, I suspect-Isabel is just noticing that the walls have become dripping, and Max appears to be distracted by whatever it is his aura's doing. Have we ever seen an aura act like that?

I figured the bat isn't actually a tool, but Max is possesed himself. Which would be why when he first met his spirit, it was in his head like Isaac, but Izzy had to summon hers.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No, it's definitely a tool. It just so happens that spirits can interact with their tool-users (perhaps only when they're in contact with their tools? or close proximity?) like they do the possessed.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, Spender didn't think there was anything out of the ordinary about what Max experienced.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Happy Yeti posted:

Wait, how is Max's backpack not phasing through the train? Eightfold's book is a tool so that wouldn't, but the backpack isn't possessed as far as we know.

Powerful spirits can poltergeist, and the Ghost Train is certainly powerful in its own right. Being able to physically contain stuff that has been placed inside it also makes it more useful.

Happy Yeti
Jun 1, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I figure the train is a poltergeist.

Okay, hadn't thought of that. Plot hole averted!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Leper Residue posted:

I figured the bat isn't actually a tool, but Max is possesed himself.

P.J., who is most certainly not a poltergeist, could pick it up.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Roland Jones posted:

Man, what is Max's aura doing in that second-to-last panel> It's getting weird and tendril-y, and it seems to be moving towards the pixeldogs rather than upwards like the stuff normally does.

That's what I thought of as well.

Well, the dogs obey the most evil thing around, I wouldn't be surprised if magnet snake is trying to get his control on.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If that happens this is going to be very awkward.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Well from the magnet snake's whole "your master SHOULD fear broken gods, and I don't mean my faction" thing I doubt magnet snake is the most evil thing around.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Evil, not powerful. It could be super evil, just busted.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
And I'm sure it's not "literally only obeys the single most evil entity in the entire multiverse," just "bows to powerful, evil creatures."

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I figure they just like being evil and will follow whatever kickass evil plan anyone comes up with, just for the fun of it.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

And Johnny's on his way there.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Oh please. Everyone knows RJ's the real power behind the throne. No one with hair that fabulous is ever not the most evil.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
If Johnny ends up with an rear end in a top hat catdog spirit it will make my week month year forever.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Imagine the magnet snake manifests itself in all its hissy terrible head-split-apart-y glory and starts ordering the dogs around. But suddenly! They start to ignore it! They're not following its orders!

Then in the next panel Johnny walks in.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Dr. Buttass posted:

Oh please. Everyone knows RJ's the real power behind the throne. No one with hair that fabulous is ever not the most evil.

RJ is actually a Medium. Their power is making Johnnies.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Splicer posted:

If Johnny ends up with an rear end in a top hat catdog spirit it will make my week month year forever.

I almost feel like the comic is going to be an endless cascade of Johnny almost ending up being possessed by various spirits that would be hilarious, but actually staying mundane through the end.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

AnonSpore posted:

Imagine the magnet snake manifests itself in all its hissy terrible head-split-apart-y glory and starts ordering the dogs around. But suddenly! They start to ignore it! They're not following its orders!

Then in the next panel Johnny walks in.

Johnny is Player 2, but it's a versus game.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Angry Walrus posted:

Also...a backpack full of metal...a spirit who can shape metal into doors...a train that's looking increasingly opposed to passengers in it...a barrier that normally can't be crossed through without the train...I'm gonna call it right now, Forge and the Spectrals are gonna have to set aside their differences just so they can get back into Mayview.

After spending the weekend idly thinking about the comic in between fencing matches, I think this is incredibly plausible and it's going to be what ends up fulfilling Grandpa's prophecy that Spender is going to die with a hero's sword in his chest choking on the words "greater good".

What "greater good" than saving four children by making a deal to allow them back in Mayview, even at the cost of unleashing a potentially evil spirit into a protected zone?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

Brannock posted:

After spending the weekend idly thinking about the comic in between fencing matches, I think this is incredibly plausible and it's going to be what ends up fulfilling Grandpa's prophecy that Spender is going to die with a hero's sword in his chest choking on the words "greater good".

What "greater good" than saving four children by making a deal to allow them back in Mayview, even at the cost of unleashing a potentially evil spirit into a protected zone?

The greater good would actually be dooming the four children because the safety of Mayview is worth more than their lives.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AnonSpore posted:

The greater good would actually be dooming the four children because the safety of Mayview is worth more than their lives.
Yup. Spender already chose fighting Forge over saving the kids once out of what we can presume to be the same "greater good" thought processes.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Splicer posted:

Yup. Spender already chose fighting Forge over saving the kids once out of what we can presume to be the same "greater good" thought processes.

What are the odds that Forge himself ends up helping the kids out?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Slime posted:

What are the odds that Forge himself ends up helping the kids out?
I'd say high. He seemed genuinely upset when he realised there were kids on the train he'd just mangled, and shocked/disgusted when Spender didn't go after them. I've also been getting a serious wow so honourable vibe off him; I'd be surprised if the knight symbolism his character design has going on wasn't designed to reflect/foreshadow this.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Really doubt Spender is dying soon though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Well, Obi-Wan and Gandalf died, and remained a story presence. A Spendergeist could be neat.