Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Devil Survivor 1, 2 and Strange Journey work perfectly fine on European 3DS handhelds, though (except the former two 3DS ports of course)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
Ah, my mistake. I didn't know if Devil Summoner got released in Europe or not.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

hubris.height posted:

Ah, my mistake. I didn't know if Devil Summoner got released in Europe or not.

DS games aren't region locked, even on a 3DS.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Butt Ghost posted:

English screenie of PQ.

Good to know the enemy designs are still Persona as gently caress.

Frankly I'm disappointed they didn't fix the "defense" misspelling.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Strange Quark posted:

Maybe their translator is a Brit?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The_Frag_Man posted:

DS games aren't region locked, even on a 3DS.

There are a couple that are, namely DSi enhanced ones. Solatorobo EU was locked, IIRC. But generally yeah.

Danbri
Jan 10, 2012

Try your ability! Do it!

Neeksy posted:

Maybe their translator is a Brit?

What irony that would be with their policy on EU releases.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

So now that it's been out for a while...Did anyone else feel a bit underwhelmed with SMTIV? Been talking about it with a friend and looking back IMO it really feels like it could have used a few more months in the oven. So many characters were superfluous and nothing they do really leads to anything. The endings also weren't very satisfying. I don't think it's a bad game or anything but man I feel like they could have done a lot more with it. The dungeons were also really loving boring and simplistic. The world map was also a loving travesty.

I think the worst offender though was (big spoilers) Making the Law and Chaos heroes actually act like real people and then go full retard for no reason in the last chapter leading up to their transformation as the host of Lucifer/Merkawhatever it was called

Atlus please release a new version with a crazy law themed labyrinth and mega law end where you become YHVH's champion and have to fight True Demon End Demifiend and all will be forgiven. :colbert:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
A lot of the characters in SMTIV that are like not Jonathan, Walter, and Burroughs don't have lot to them if you just do the storylines. A lot of the side characters' stuff such as Isabeau finishing her manga, Abbot Hugo's nagging wife, Fujiwara and Skin's entire backstory, and even Tayama being a small fry Yakuza before the world got blown up. Is all stuff that adds a bit to the characters and can go a long way depending on certain ones and your interpretation. I will agree the characters aren't as fleshed out, but I think that's mostly due to the game focusing more on its theme of "Your choices change everything" and the gameplay mechanics than the characters not being ready or whatever.

Like the game is very thorough on a lot of the gameplay mechanics, the choices and the power they hold are constantly reflected in several ways, and the alignment system is well tuned enough that it allows for enough freedom of choice (Although you kind of have to look up points if you want the Neutral ending). I agree I would've preferred the characters had a bit more to them, but this is not a character driven story like the Persona series, this game focuses a lot more on the overarching plot and the ramifications that entails and it does that fantastically. I do agree the Law and Chaos representations become extreme, but that's actually something the neutral route sort of addresses in that that's exactly what those are, extremes. No one chooses those sides without having their mind completely set on it and that's what Walter and Jonathan are very much ready to do throughout the whole game. I just wish the game weren't so drat long because it's definitely a time investment to get to the point where that becomes apparent.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think the problem is that Atlus has never been able to write Law/Chaos characters and their frequently irrational worldviews very well, which has the natural inclination of making you unsympathetic towards them when the rubber hits the road. It's hardly just a problem with SMTIV and it's hard for me to look at that and think it was a negative that they were better developed this time around when compared to the likes of Nocturne. I don't even remember the non-demi-fiend characters in Nocturne, because gently caress them they are not worth remembering just punching.

If I had to zero in on some complaints that actually bothered me about IV, it would probably be the difficulty balance and the lack of a viewable score to keep track of your Law/Chaos points. Nocturne has pretty much the perfect balance of difficulty which is why I liked its gameplay so much, whereas IV I think the Experience/Money DLC really messes with it. It results in it being a bit schizophrenic; things are either way too hard or way too easy.

All in all though, drat I had a lot of fun playing it. I love the polish that went into the Fusion system this time around, and I'm always a fan of sidequests you can easily obtain and track (as opposed to say the Tales series where are constantly getting locked out of sidequets every few steps).

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Ibram Gaunt posted:

So now that it's been out for a while...Did anyone else feel a bit underwhelmed with SMTIV? Been talking about it with a friend and looking back IMO it really feels like it could have used a few more months in the oven. So many characters were superfluous and nothing they do really leads to anything. The endings also weren't very satisfying. I don't think it's a bad game or anything but man I feel like they could have done a lot more with it. The dungeons were also really loving boring and simplistic. The world map was also a loving travesty.

I think the worst offender though was (big spoilers) Making the Law and Chaos heroes actually act like real people and then go full retard for no reason in the last chapter leading up to their transformation as the host of Lucifer/Merkawhatever it was called

Atlus please release a new version with a crazy law themed labyrinth and mega law end where you become YHVH's champion and have to fight True Demon End Demifiend and all will be forgiven. :colbert:

I found the sudden character jump to be annoying abrupt too, but it went down a bit better if I considered as the game going "AND THEN IT ALL WENT DOWN BAD LIKE ALL THE OTHER GAMES, SKIPPING FORWARD" and it's like, yeah, alright, I'm only about three steps removed from my godlike position of strength, so let's start the final boss ball rolling. It kind of felt like the game saying "Okay you chose not to end the world, you know what happens next, so let's just skip the whole turtle sidequest and get to the warring."

If you want to see a gradual turning from humans-to-monsters in your NPC friends, go play SMT 1 (now available on Apple IOS). It's very bluntly written, but you do get to see your party members turn from humans into zealots and it's pretty rough on the ole feelings. I think it was a nod to that game that they basically skipped to the inevitable end result of that.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I'm playing Devil Survivor Overclocked and after fusing Hecate and Cu Chulainin, grinding them to be strong enough to make an Abaddon, fuse it into Yama then fused a new Hecate/Cu Chulainin then ground them to get all their new abilities.

Then I remembered the Big Book O' Demons and how you can just use that to re buy old demons. :frogdowns:

Syrg Sapphire posted:

That hasn't really been the case for like... 2 or 3 Obsidian titles now.

Didn't they do New-Cazones-Poison-Can't-Be-Cured-On-Followers-Vegas?

BottledBodhisvata posted:

If you want to see a gradual turning from humans-to-monsters in your NPC friends, go play SMT 1 (now available on Apple IOS). It's very bluntly written, but you do get to see your party members turn from humans into zealots and it's pretty rough on the ole feelings. I think it was a nod to that game that they basically skipped to the inevitable end result of that.

Isn't that Japanese-only?

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 28, 2014

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The Law/Chaos heroes in SMT1/3/SJ at least had something that resembled character arcs, and typically waited until they were transformed before they went full crazy. In SMT4, both Walt and John both jump to the extremes with little warning (and then are buddies again in Blasted/Infernal Tokyo*, even though the lines had already been drawn).

Isabeau is probably the worst of the main characters, because her entire character is "I read manga and have trouble making decisions." Not that SMT titles typically have heroines who aren't poo poo, but you'd expect with all the chatter in this game she would have had more going on. Nozomi honestly would have made a better neutral heroine, because she was actually out doing stuff in Tokyo and at the end of her quest line she becomes a megami that tensei'd.

*I really dug the Blasted/Infernal Tokyo areas, even if they were awkwardly placed in the narrative. The series rarely actually shows you what a Law/Chaos world would look like, so it was nice to see that.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

TurnipFritter posted:

*I really dug the Blasted/Infernal Tokyo areas, even if they were awkwardly placed in the narrative. The series rarely actually shows you what a Law/Chaos world would look like, so it was nice to see that.

^^ Of course, it's typical that both are wastelands. As if there could be any other outcome in these games.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Anatharon posted:

Isn't that Japanese-only?

SMTI is getting an iOS release in English on March 18th.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

kirbysuperstar posted:

There are a couple that are, namely DSi enhanced ones. Solatorobo EU was locked, IIRC. But generally yeah.

A region-lock that does not trigger on Phat and lite DS handhelds. :v:

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I enjoyed SMTIV, but after Nocturne, it feels like a little bit of a step back, especially considering how there were no 3D graphics outside of dungeon crawling, and how much of a pain in the rear end fiend hunting is. 2D graphics wouldn't even feel like that much of an issue, but a lot of the art clashes with each other, and some of the designs are just bad (Medusa). I mean, I understand why they used 2D graphics, since there are so many demons, and that would require so many models. However, I'd prefer less demons if we had full 3D like in Nocturne. Also, the AI partners are dumb and the world map is one of the most frustrating things I've ever navigated.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Hi I'm playing Persona 3 and missed with Mudo like 6 times in a row against something weak to Mudo. I don't know crap about these games wtf affects my magic accuracy?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

elf help book posted:

Hi I'm playing Persona 3 and missed with Mudo like 6 times in a row against something weak to Mudo. I don't know crap about these games wtf affects my magic accuracy?

Mudo and Hama in general are just crapshoots. They don't become really effective until second-tier.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

elf help book posted:

Mudo and Hama, as the instant kill attacks, have rather low accuracy, even against things weak against it. You're probably better off just hitting them with normal attacks unless they're immune to everything you have.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

elf help book posted:

Sukakaja/Rakukaja will increase the chances of them landing if you really need to land either one of them.

I can't remember, does Ken learn Mahamaon in P3P or is it just Answer only? Because if so that's even more stupid. At least Koromaru's smart enough to learn Mamudoon.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

The big problem with them is that Walter and Jonathon do not give a poo poo about how terrible these places are and still go along with them. They're really stupid. But at least they're not Isabeau, who didn't get any characterization at all until the end game.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Manatee Cannon posted:

The big problem with them is that Walter and Jonathon do not give a poo poo about how terrible these places are and still go along with them. They're really stupid. But at least they're not Isabeau, who didn't get any characterization at all until the end game.

I think that's part of the point; to show how full of poo poo they, and their ideologies, are.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It doesn't, though, it just makes them seem completely insane. The game does a really bad job with the characterization of those two. The plot in general is bad.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I played SMT4, and went back and played Nocturne for the first time and I think 4 is better in many ways. 4 is way harder, and obviously much of the combat and the way abilities work is improved. No character in 3 is as cool as Walter, either. Of course Nocturne has the better MC, and the fiends are much better implemented too.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I can't remember, does Ken learn Mahamaon in P3P or is it just Answer only? Because if so that's even more stupid. At least Koromaru's smart enough to learn Mamudoon.

I think all of his attacks were single target. Healing was the only multitarget thing he had, if I recall.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Strange Quark posted:

It's possible that that screenshot is actually from the Japanese version of the game. I know that in the Japanese versions of Etrian Odyssey, all of the menu items are in English and "Defence" is one of them. In the English versions it's changed to "Defend".

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

It's possible that that screenshot is actually from the Japanese version of the game. I know that in the Japanese versions of Etrian Odyssey, all of the menu items are in English and "Defence" is one of them. In the English versions it's changed to "Defend".

It's inconsistent... defence = British, analyze = American.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

jtm33 posted:

It's inconsistent... defence = British, analyze = American.
When have you known the Japanese to be consistent in how they use English in their media? :v:

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
It's consistently hilarious when they try?

E: tbh that's a little more racist than I like. But there's a definite disconnect between the way the two languages are pronounced and written that's usually pretty great to see/hear when both are mixed.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Mar 1, 2014

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

You know, mixing up British and American spellings is a pretty understandable mistake for someone who has English as a second language.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

elf help book posted:

From memory, Mudo / Hama at tier 1 have a 20% accuracy rate. The tier2 version has about a 40% accuracy rate, and the <mudo/hama> boost passive skill adds an additional 10% to hit.

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Endorph posted:

You know, mixing up British and American spellings is a pretty understandable mistake for someone who has English as a second language.

I do it and I'm native. Blame all those children's books the British exported that I read as a kid when I was learning how to spell.

Ultimately it's not really worth getting upset over.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

What's the word on devil survivor 2 overclocked, is that a thing that's happening?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Tithin Melias posted:

What's the word on devil survivor 2 overclocked, is that a thing that's happening?

Atlus USA teased it in their New Years Greeting, so I assume it's still in production.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.
Megaten wiki says that in P3 Mudo/Hama had 25% hit rate, Mamudo/Mahama 20%, and the second tier had double that. Mudo/Hama Boosts raise the hit rate half again, but this doesn't make that much of a difference with these low hit rates. I think weakness to light/dark doubles the hit rate, while resistance halves it.

This is one thing P4 did better. Even the first tier has 40% on single-target (and 30% on all-target), second tier has 60 and 40 respectively, and with boosts that would mean Naoto's getting 60% hit rate with Mahamaon on neutral enemies and 100% on weak. Which she did, murdering through most of random encounters in one-two turns in the final dungeon. :black101:

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

Butt Ghost posted:

I enjoyed SMTIV, but after Nocturne, it feels like a little bit of a step back, especially considering how there were no 3D graphics outside of dungeon crawling, and how much of a pain in the rear end fiend hunting is. 2D graphics wouldn't even feel like that much of an issue, but a lot of the art clashes with each other, and some of the designs are just bad (Medusa). I mean, I understand why they used 2D graphics, since there are so many demons, and that would require so many models. However, I'd prefer less demons if we had full 3D like in Nocturne. Also, the AI partners are dumb and the world map is one of the most frustrating things I've ever navigated.

I'm gonna go a step further and say that the combat was also a bore in SMTIV. Outside of some of the first few encounters and some bosses here and there, the game is super easy and doesn't deviate enough from the press turn system that was in Nocturne. 99% of the bosses get taken down by abusing their weakness and healing, with no strategy on buffs/debuffs or anything else. It just feels like a rehash that was polished better in some areas and not so much in others. It seems they were more concerned with presentation points that JRPG players love over making a solid and consistent game. Oh and gently caress the Neutral path, whoever thought it was cool to make you do every challenge mission can step right back and go fornicate himself.

It's still not a bad game per se and it's a great entry point for newcomers to the series, but I'd honestly take the DS games over this one or even Persona.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

A lot of the characters in SMTIV that are like not Jonathan, Walter, and Burroughs don't have lot to them if you just do the storylines. A lot of the side characters' stuff such as Isabeau finishing her manga, Abbot Hugo's nagging wife, Fujiwara and Skin's entire backstory, and even Tayama being a small fry Yakuza before the world got blown up. Is all stuff that adds a bit to the characters and can go a long way depending on certain ones and your interpretation. I will agree the characters aren't as fleshed out, but I think that's mostly due to the game focusing more on its theme of "Your choices change everything" and the gameplay mechanics than the characters not being ready or whatever.

Like the game is very thorough on a lot of the gameplay mechanics, the choices and the power they hold are constantly reflected in several ways, and the alignment system is well tuned enough that it allows for enough freedom of choice (Although you kind of have to look up points if you want the Neutral ending). I agree I would've preferred the characters had a bit more to them, but this is not a character driven story like the Persona series, this game focuses a lot more on the overarching plot and the ramifications that entails and it does that fantastically. I do agree the Law and Chaos representations become extreme, but that's actually something the neutral route sort of addresses in that that's exactly what those are, extremes. No one chooses those sides without having their mind completely set on it and that's what Walter and Jonathan are very much ready to do throughout the whole game. I just wish the game weren't so drat long because it's definitely a time investment to get to the point where that becomes apparent.

I really liked the small little tidbits of narrative they had in the game, since I'm a fan of underwritten games like FFV, the Souls games, Armored Core and the like. My problem is that after a while, you get loving bored of doing challenge missions that I just didn't care anymore about the game anymore and wanted to just get it over with. Which is a shame because they've got some great world building that I wished they focused on that more than the boring combat.

Proto Cloud fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 1, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I did almost every challenge in that game, trust me when I say, gently caress challenge quests. There are so god damned many of them and they all boil down to one of three things: fetch quests, monster parts collecting, and boss fights. The ones that actually involve some small bit of story like Nozomi's are fun, the boss fight ones are fine as well, but I hate navigating the map of Tokyo to do everything. Even after you get the Ark it's still tedious to do anything. I love SMTIV though, it did a lot of things I loved and the when the game finally picked up with poo poo happening in the second half, I was hooked. I always had the same problem with Nocturne where it felt like nothing was happening for the longest time and the Obelisk happens and poo poo is going down. Unfortunately that's at like the end of the game compared to SMTIV where it's at least at the halfway point.

On the subject of like Isabeau and the Neutral route. I feel like while she is definitely the Neutral route character, (Neutral Ending spoilers) Burroughs might actually be the real one. She's involved with you from the start, she becomes a lot more vocal after you take the Neutral route and even delivers some great speeches to the bosses, is revealed to be very involved with Stephen and is the Goddess. That being said I still liked Isabeau, for what little of her there is she's a good straight man between Walter and Jonathan until the actual choices pop up, her manga obsession is pretty funny, and she gives a really good speech to Merkabah about how the choices being made by them are extremes and nothing more as Merkabah slowly breaks down.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Tithin Melias posted:

It's been announced with a trailer. Devil Survivor 2 Break Record will be released on July 11, 2013 Fall 2013 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xf_P6OAKw8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proto Cloud
Feb 18, 2013

Maybe next year...

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I love SMTIV though, it did a lot of things I loved and the when the game finally picked up with poo poo happening in the second half, I was hooked. I always had the same problem with Nocturne where it felt like nothing was happening for the longest time and the Obelisk happens and poo poo is going down. Unfortunately that's at like the end of the game compared to SMTIV where it's at least at the halfway point.
The difference here is that while there's not a lot that goes on in the story, I far enjoyed the optional dungeons, bosses and the combat was far tighter. I dunno, I'm not huge on game stories in general they come secondary to me like the OST.

You've gotta have something special to make the story really catch my attention like Nier, Fallout or Persona 2.

quote:

On the subject of like Isabeau and the Neutral route. I feel like while she is definitely the Neutral route character, (Neutral Ending spoilers) Burroughs might actually be the real one. She's involved with you from the start, she becomes a lot more vocal after you take the Neutral route and even delivers some great speeches to the bosses, is revealed to be very involved with Stephen and is the Goddess. That being said I still liked Isabeau, for what little of her there is she's a good straight man between Walter and Jonathan until the actual choices pop up, her manga obsession is pretty funny, and she gives a really good speech to Merkabah about how the choices being made by them are extremes and nothing more as Merkabah slowly breaks down.
Yeah, I liked Isabeau a lot, she's a fun little character that I could only imagine would be a total dork in another life. It's kind of funny she's enjoying what seems to be a run-of-the-mill manga.

As for Johnatha and Walter, I feel that they both could have been swayed to your side and I feel that like usual there's a total lack of choice in that regard because like how you make the people of Mikado like Abbott Hugo make a change, I'd likened to see that in both Walter and Johnathan. Instead they don't get a chance to do anything because they turn into bosses and die instead. I don't really like the idea of moral absolutes.

Proto Cloud fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 1, 2014