Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Captain Pissweak posted:

Magmar is a bird? :psyduck:
Well if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and spews fire like a duck, it's probably a duck. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Captain Pissweak posted:

Magmar is a bird? :psyduck:

It looks like a duck crossed with a butt and a fire… thing.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Zoran posted:

Bringing over a discussion from the Twitch thread: would other people like to see Gym Leaders and the like use teams that are less type-centric but still follow some other kind of elemental theme?

For example, you could have a "water" gym that also includes aquatic Pokémon that aren't water type, such as Malamar, Dragalge, and Eelektross. Or (thanks to user The Monkey Man) a bird-centric but not Flying-type gym, where the leader has Empoleon, Blaziken, and Magmar.

Can anyone think of other good ideas?

From a coolness perspective, it'd be neat, but I doubt it'll ever be done, for game design reasons.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
Where are all these rear end in a top hat kids getting shiny Dialgas? I feel like every other passerby I trade with has one.

Also, passerby trading is crap, (big surprise) everyone has shiny legendaries and expects you have the missing ones they want.

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop

Zoran posted:

Bringing over a discussion from the Twitch thread: would other people like to see Gym Leaders and the like use teams that are less type-centric but still follow some other kind of elemental theme?

For example, you could have a "water" gym that also includes aquatic Pokémon that aren't water type, such as Malamar, Dragalge, and Eelektross. Or (thanks to user The Monkey Man) a bird-centric but not Flying-type gym, where the leader has Empoleon, Blaziken, and Magmar.

Can anyone think of other good ideas?

A team of arthropods that expands beyond just Bugs. Includes guys like Kingler and Crawdaunt.

A team of spooky/creepy things that aren't just Ghosts and Dark-types. Can include guys like Parasect and Mr. Mime.

Teams based on environments: a team of desert dwellers that's not just Ground-types including guys like Cacturne and Crustle.

This is actually a pretty cool way to add in checks to super effective moves for what would be monotype teams.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
SoI'd like a ltitle bit of help from someone with more of a head for the 'competitive' stuff than me. I want my team for the Battle Maison, Link Battles and whatever else may come up to be either entirely or at least partly composed of alumni from a bunch of my old Pokemon games. I'm pretty sure I'm not sitting on a star lineup here by any means, but I'd like some help in identifyingif any of these guys are useful.

So here's the list I've got to work with, with their natures and what the IV trainer in Kiloude says about them (not that I know what most of this means). If there's anything good in here, please tell me who. And if possible, a nice list of the best ones I could go with, maybe with suggestions on what else I could get to fill in the gaps? I'm dividing these by original game, because I can and because otherwise it'd be a big block of ugly text.

Colosseum:
Bashful Smeargle; decent all around, best stat is Sp Defense, got some good stats, worst stat is Attack

Leaf Green:
Hardy Blastoise; decent all around, best stat is Sp Attack, simply can't be beat!
Naive Clefable; above average, best stat is Attack, some fantastic stats
Calm Dugtrio; above average, best stat is Sp Defense, some fantastic stats
Adamant Parasect; above average, best stat is Attack, some fantastic stats
Timid Primeape; relatively superior potential, best stat is Sp. Def, some fantastic stats

Diamond:
Rash Machamp; decent all around, best stat is Attack, some fantastic stats
Lonely Staraptor; decent all around, best stat is HP, some fantastic stats
Careful Infernape; above average, best stat is Attack, some fantastic stats
Rash Gengar; decent all around, best stat is Sp Attack, got some good stats
Calm (Shiny) Golem; above average overall, best stat is Attack, simply can't be beat!
Modest Porygon-Z; above average overall, best stat is Sp Attack, simply can't be beat! (okay yeah, this bad boy's getting into the team no matter what)

Black:
Sassy Galvantula; relatively superior potential, best stat is Sp Attack, simply can't be beat!
Rash Samurott; above average overall, best stat is Sp Attack, some fantastic stats
Rash Chandelure; decent all around, best stat is Sp Attack, got some good stats, worst stat is Speed
Quirky Klinklang; above average overall, best stat is Attack, simply can't be beat!
Naive Sigilyph; above average overall, best stat is Sp Defense, some fantastic stats
Naughty Darmanitan; decent all around, best stats are Attack and Defense, got some good stats
Naive Scolipede; above average overall, best stat is Defense, some fantastic stats

Y:
Hardy Greninja; above average, best stat is Defense, some fantastic stats
Rash Venusaur; decent all around, best stat is Speed, got some good stats
Hasty Scrafty; decent all around, best stat is Speed, rather decent stats
Lonely Aegislash; decent all around, best stat is Defense, got some good stats
Quirky Aerodactyl; decent all around, best stat is HP, simply can't be beat!, worst stat is Sp Attack
Jolly Gardevoir; decent all around, best stat is Special Attack, some fantastic stats, worst stat is Defense

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
^^^ "Can't be beat!" means the stats that he names are all 31s. "Some fantastic stats" means the stats he names are 27-30, iirc.

LemonLimeTime posted:

Where are all these rear end in a top hat kids getting shiny Dialgas? I feel like every other passerby I trade with has one.

Also, passerby trading is crap, (big surprise) everyone has shiny legendaries and expects you have the missing ones they want.

Wifi event at gamestop a few months ago

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.

Sade posted:

^^^ "Can't be beat!" means the stats that he names are all 31s. "Some fantastic stats" means the stats he names are 27-30, iirc.

Wifi event at gamestop a few months ago

Ahhhh that's right. I remember that.

Also, in Special Training I earn punching bags that seem to raise my stats, but I don't see them get raised when I check the summary of my Pokemon. Mainly I'm just trying to evolve my Tyrouge into a Hitmontop.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Zoran posted:

It looks like a duck crossed with a butt and a fire… thing.
If you've watched any of Reverend's videos you know it's most of a Charizard.

If you haven't watched any of Reverend's videos, you should watch Reverend's videos, he's funny.

If you're Reverend, why haven't you made any more videos recently? :mad:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Zoran posted:

It's me. I'm going to buy all three games. :shepicide:

Welcome to Hell brother, sweet sweet pokemon Hell.

We all float down here. :stare:

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Anybody got any cool ideas for a team with Haxorus? It's my friend's favorite and he wants to make a competitive team with an Adamant one he was gifted, but he's struggling to come up with teammates. Last time we discussed it he had settled on giving it DD/EQ/Outrage/Poison Jab with a Persim Berry and was thinking about having a Fire-type on the team.

a busted-up mailbox
Dec 14, 2012
Just starting up Pokemon Conquest. Any tips for someone new?

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Mick Swagger posted:

Just starting up Pokemon Conquest. Any tips for someone new?

Just worry about recruiting everyone in the main story. The real fun starts with all the extra scenarios afterward.

I think the game tells/shows you how to beat the main story and explains everything, and I can't remember any ways to really screw yourself over or get stuck. A couple of the castles later on suck to fight in, but then it's just a matter of having the right people defend those castles.

How Ingratiating! fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 1, 2014

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Twitch Plays Pokemon finally made it and beat the champion. Now we can put this 16-day long experience behind us and agree that several thousand people trying to play the same game is funny until it reaches the third day.

Oh god there's gonna be a Gold version run of this isn't there.

Major INTERSpess
Apr 18, 2013

Call Apogee
Say Aardwolf
They just added Pokemon on netflix... Just in time for the end of TPP. Oh god.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Man, White Flabebe's spawn rate is weird.

I'm working on some alternate forme stuff for my Pokedex collection, and i've found three shiny pokemon on Route 7 but no White Flabebe as of yet.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Sade posted:

Okay, knowing that, things make more sense, now I can actually read this stuff.

My current battle team in that case is Porygon-Z, Galvantula, Aerodactyl, Scolipede, Blastoise and Golem, with Aerodactyl usually being the Mega-Evolution. Knowing the stats listed above, can anyone suggest any replacements that would make a stronger/more well-rounded team? Because right now, yeah, I know it's a huge sweeper-fest.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Sade posted:

As a further clarification, if he names more than one stat then the IVs in those stats are identical, not merely in the same "bracket".

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

drat it, I'm getting errors trying to log into the Global Link website. Really wish I could send myself 200 rare candies right about now - there are so many people asking for Lv.91+ trash mons for their box legendaries.

Edit - There we go, it finally got resolved. Time to forcefeed candy to my trade fodder!

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Mar 1, 2014

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Finally bred something I can use on my team and for later breeding purposes. A 6IV female Mudkip with an Impish Nature. This baby is going to be EV trained in HP fully but wondering how the rest of the values should go. Any ideas? I was thinking either splitting it between defenses or splitting it in attack and one of the defense stats. Any thoughts?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Spiffster posted:

Finally bred something I can use on my team and for later breeding purposes. A 6IV female Mudkip with an Impish Nature. This baby is going to be EV trained in HP fully but wondering how the rest of the values should go. Any ideas? I was thinking either splitting it between defenses or splitting it in attack and one of the defense stats. Any thoughts?

How are you going to use it? Do you want a bulky attacker or a defensive tank? Is this for singles or doubles?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DizzyBum posted:

drat it, I'm getting errors trying to log into the Global Link website. Really wish I could send myself 200 rare candies right about now - there are so many people asking for Lv.91+ trash mons for their box legendaries.

Yeah, there's a shiny Lugia on the GTS that's asking for a L91+ Inkay

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Major INTERSpess posted:

They just added Pokemon on netflix... Just in time for the end of TPP. Oh god.

I assume it's the regular american dub version and not like Digimon where they have both? I'd love to see the original Japanese, it's way crazier.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Zoran posted:

Feature requests for Z

1. All the good tutors back + Defog tutor

2. Poké Ball inheritance for genderless/male-only species. I want a good Rotom in a Luxury Ball, drat it!

3. Able to select breeding pokemon directly from your boxes, instead of making you go swap poo poo around in your team. Make it an extra box you access like the Battle Box even, then we can switch breeders from anywhere. :buddy:

4. Let Gyrados learn some proper STAB moves. We get it Game Freak, Magikarp's a running gag of suck but that doesn't mean you should punish Gyrados.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

3. Able to select breeding pokemon directly from your boxes, instead of making you go swap poo poo around in your team. Make it an extra box you access like the Battle Box even, then we can switch breeders from anywhere. :buddy:

4. Let Gyrados learn some proper STAB moves. We get it Game Freak, Magikarp's a running gag of suck but that doesn't mean you should punish Gyrados.

Gyarados does not need more STAB. Ever

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Crawfish posted:

Man, White Flabebe's spawn rate is weird.

I'm working on some alternate forme stuff for my Pokedex collection, and i've found three shiny pokemon on Route 7 but no White Flabebe as of yet.

Y is the tenth pokemon game I've beaten start-to-finish, with 1000+ hours invested in the postgames and multiplayer components of gens 4, 5 and 6, and I've never seen a single shiny pokemon other than the lake of rage gyarados. What I'm trying to say here is what the gently caress did you do to your game.

Sade fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 1, 2014

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Inudeku posted:

Gyarados does not need more STAB. Ever
It needs Crunch at least. I'd also like if it could learn fly, but that's because I want to fly around on a big pissed off sea serpent.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Sade posted:

Y is the tenth pokemon game I've beaten start-to-finish, with 1000+ hours invested in the postgames of gens 4, 5 and 6, and I've never seen a single shiny pokemon other than the lake of rage gyarados. What I'm trying to say here is what the gently caress did you do to your game.

This was me up until this generation. The only real shiny I had ever seen was Bianca's Lillipup in the capture tutorial in White 2. :suicide:

But now with the higher shiny rate, I've gotten ten so far. FS Barbaracle & Phantump, Horde Swablu, and Shiny Charm+Masuda Method Togepi (x2), Cyndaquil, Litleo, Noibat, Skiddo, and Charmander.

What I'm saying is eventually good things will happen to you. :unsmith:

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Nihilarian posted:

It needs Crunch at least.

Will be a tutorable move in Z, most likely.

Gyarados with Brave Bird, on the other hand... :getin: (Un)fortunately it will never get that.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Nihilarian posted:

It needs Crunch at least. I'd also like if it could learn fly, but that's because I want to fly around on a big pissed off sea serpent.

He really doesn't. Crunch and or knock off would push him to ubers. I like destroying OU too much with him.

E: for example, a Bounce/Crunch/waterfall DDmdos hits more than half the game for SE damage, including nailing FIFTEEN other megas for super effective.

Inudeku fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 1, 2014

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

SE coverage doesn't guarantee brokenness, especially with weak moves like Gyarados has.

Electivire is the poster boy for this.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Zoran posted:

SE coverage doesn't guarantee brokenness, especially with weak moves like Gyarados has.

Electivire is the poster boy for this.

We're talking theoretical Crunch here. Bounce is also not weak. Either is waterfall. A +1 Bounce can have a 50 50 shot at Ohkoing Mega Venusaur after rocks. And that's the Mega non stabbed Bounce.

Crunch has pretty good synergy with waterfall too.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

80-85 power attacks are not strong even as STAB attacks. Gyarados is dangerous because he has a great boosting move and decent neutral coverage and because his Mega form changes up his counters, not because he's immediately threatening.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Zoran posted:

80-85 power attacks are not strong even as STAB attacks. Gyarados is dangerous because he has a great boosting move and decent neutral coverage and because his Mega form changes up his counters, not because he's immediately threatening.

Name something that walls bounce/waterfall Crunch mdos at +1.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Assuming you switch it in on the Dragon Dance: Mega Aggron, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, Chesnaught, just to name a few.

These aren't Gyarados counters, though. SubDD Gyara sets up all over Aggron and Ferrothorn, while Tauntrados destroys Skarmory and Bounce Tauntrados beats Chesnaught. That's my point: it's very hard to find something that stops all of Gyarados's sets, and giving his Mega a slightly better STAB move doesn't change that.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 1, 2014

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Aggron has no business in OU and ferrothorn and Skarmory have to run pure 252/252 to not get 2hkod.

Crunch would push Gyaradosite towards ubers. Would it be a guarantee? Nah. Not really. But it would definitely be suspect tested.

Mr. Bing
Oct 25, 2004

...Is it still there?
Hatched a shiny Deino today! It's my first! :toot:

More importantly, it's one I can use! Modest nature, IVs are 31/31/22/31/31/30

Many thanks to Kuhmondo for the monster JP Ditto that helped make this possible!

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Inudeku posted:

Aggron has no business in OU and ferrothorn and Skarmory have to run pure 252/252 to not get 2hkod.

Crunch would push Gyaradosite towards ubers. Would it be a guarantee? Nah. Not really. But it would definitely be suspect tested.

Skarmory can tank a hit and Whirlwind even if it's specially defensive. Even if you're not running max/max+ Ferrothorn, you can always survive a Crunch and do huge damage with Power Whip, with a good chance to OHKO thanks to Iron Barbs. Spiky Shield Chesnaught laughs at everything your Gyarados does. RestTalk Gyarados walls you all day and phazes. Mega Mawile destroys you. So does Mega Manectric (assuming Adamant nature), and you can even get him in late by baiting a Bounce. Defensive Rotom-W survives anything and will usually land Will-o-Wisp.

Gyarados and Mega Gyarados are very good Pokémon who can take down any of these Pokémon with the right set, but Crunch isn't the boon you seem to think it is.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008

Zoran posted:

Skarmory can tank a hit and Whirlwind even if it's specially defensive. Even if you're not running max/max+ Ferrothorn, you can always survive a Crunch and do huge damage with Power Whip, with a good chance to OHKO thanks to Iron Barbs. Spiky Shield Chesnaught laughs at everything your Gyarados does. RestTalk Gyarados walls you all day and phazes. Mega Mawile destroys you. So does Mega Manectric (assuming Adamant nature), and you can even get him in late by baiting a Bounce. Defensive Rotom-W survives anything and will usually land Will-o-Wisp.

Gyarados and Mega Gyarados are very good Pokémon who can take down any of these Pokémon with the right set, but Crunch isn't the boon you seem to think it is.

Crunch is the boon though. What happens when you sub Bounce for say, EQ or ice fang? Suddenly a majority of those counters don't work anymore. (you'll gain a couple like venu, but it still does not like ice fangs)

Because of Crunch, you have effective 120 BP move off of 155 base attack. That's absolutely ridiculous especially considering the ease of a DD on him.

Also with the changes to the type chart dark is an amazing attacking type. It allows Bisharp to be viable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

Or you could just run Waterfall+Earthquake+coverage and achieve the same effect. Crunch doesn't change the game for Mega Gyarados because it doesn't break any of its existing counters.

• Locked thread