Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWuNf4gxwuM
Why is this music so calm? Because it knows you are captured forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

I probably just destroyed my enjoyment of this game by adding 12345 gold to my inventory thanks internet

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

naem posted:

I probably just destroyed my enjoyment of this game by adding 12345 gold to my inventory thanks internet

Are you kinng me? :) This is crazy talk. Mudcrab or skank will give you millions without any cheating. Breaking it is part of the game

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

naem posted:

That's pocket change, my level 13 guy I haven't even been actively trying to break the game with has 140000 gold or so. Granted, I modded Creeper to have 1000000 gold on him and to accept more items...beats juggling a hundred items to sell a single glass cuirass and wasting time waiting for him to get his gold back.

Nothing worse than cleaning out some rich guy's house (and inventory :black101:) and not being able to sell his expensive but useless stuff.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Minarchist posted:

That's pocket change, my level 13 guy I haven't even been actively trying to break the game with has 140000 gold or so. Granted, I modded Creeper to have 1000000 gold on him and to accept more items...beats juggling a hundred items to sell a single glass cuirass and wasting time waiting for him to get his gold back.

Nothing worse than cleaning out some rich guy's house (and inventory :black101:) and not being able to sell his expensive but useless stuff.

doing it wrong, it should be canon that nerevarine just slept over for 500 days in creepers house

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Sekenr posted:

doing it wrong, it should be canon that nerevarine just loitered over for 500 days in creepers house

FTFY

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
"And then the Nerevarine engaged in what would later be called, "the barter dance" with Creeper. He would sell one large item and purchase many small ones, then loiter until Creeper was able to magically summon more gold. Then the Nerevarine would resell the many small items he just purchased, one at a time. Creeper would buy them at the exact same price for which he sold them because Creeper was a loving retard."

"This dance would often go on for many months at a time, occasionally interrupted by a Dunmer in leather bondage gear appearing only to be instantly killed by the Nerevarine. The bondage gear would then itself become part of the dance."

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Cantorsdust posted:

"And then the Nerevarine engaged in what would later be called, "the barter dance" with Creeper. He would sell one large item and purchase many small ones, then loiter until Creeper was able to magically summon more gold. Then the Nerevarine would resell the many small items he just purchased, one at a time. Creeper would buy them at the exact same price for which he sold them because Creeper was a loving retard."

"This dance would often go on for many months at a time, occasionally interrupted by a Dunmer in leather bondage gear appearing only to be instantly killed by the Nerevarine. The bondage gear would then itself become part of the dance."

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It is kind of hilarious that they went to the trouble to write these cool stories about the game's master trainers but in the actual game one of them just plain doesn't work

quote:

Additionally, if you are using the LeFemm Armor official plugin, Sirollus will be wearing a complete set of Gold Armor - which looks somewhat odd on him, as the armor was designed to be worn only by female characters. This is one of only three sets of this armor available in the game. (It's possible the developers gave him the armor intending him to have it for sale, without taking into account the fact that he would automatically put it on instead.)

e: You seem like... very good company

Inexplicable Humblebrag fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Mar 1, 2014

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
lmao

his backstory is pretty cool, though. I've never actually stuck to a pure combat character in Morrowind before, though, so no surprise I've never run into him, just goes to show how much there is to see and hear... well, read, in this game

it's amazing how cyrodiil and skyrim are so much bigger but so empty in comparison

it's equally amazing how much poo poo is broken in Morrowind due simply to Bethesda forgetting things, like adding the script for that guy offering training services, or how the medium armour master trainer was made but they forgot to put him in the game, or how the master spear trainer is inexplicably behind a locked door that is a crime for you to open and has no way of legally being unlocked

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Mar 1, 2014

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

thehumandignity posted:

just goes to show how much there is to see and hear... well, read, in this game

it's amazing how cyrodiil and skyrim are so much bigger but so empty in comparison

I genunely think that the move from text to mandatory voice acting was one of the most harmful trends to ever happen to games, especially large RPGs. We will probably never see anything like Morrowind's ability to ask for directions to anywhere and hidden interesting NPCs, or Planescape Torment's memory spheres, in an AAA game ever again. Quest mods become all but impossible, unless you want to hear some amateur hamming it up over microphone buzz. From here on in all we will have is huge open worlds populated by hundreds of clones of four cheap actors, woodenly reading their paltry couple of lines and mispronouncing all the made up words.

Seriously gently caress everyone in Oblivion who kept spouting off about "deedra"

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

thehumandignity posted:

it's equally amazing how much poo poo is broken in Morrowind due simply to Bethesda forgetting things, like adding the script for that guy offering training services, or how the medium armour master trainer was made but they forgot to put him in the game, or how the master spear trainer is inexplicably behind a locked door that is a crime for you to open and has no way of legally being unlocked

Don't forget that master in enchanting is hostile to you. And second in enchanting can only train up to level 63 and is only available to high ranking officials of Mages Guild.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The thing is: you are all talking about brownness and the fog. When I originally played, someone created this external program that allowed you to extend or reduce visible distance in Morrowind. I had such crap PC that I had to reduce it below built in settings. Remember how hard it is to find poo poo using in game directions? Imagine doing that when you can only see about 3 meters around you. For a while I simply wan't aware that there is an asteroid hanging above Vivec because I didn't see it

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I genunely think that the move from text to mandatory voice acting was one of the most harmful trends to ever happen to games, especially large RPGs. We will probably never see anything like Morrowind's ability to ask for directions to anywhere and hidden interesting NPCs, or Planescape Torment's memory spheres, in an AAA game ever again. Quest mods become all but impossible, unless you want to hear some amateur hamming it up over microphone buzz. From here on in all we will have is huge open worlds populated by hundreds of clones of four cheap actors, woodenly reading their paltry couple of lines and mispronouncing all the made up words.

Seriously gently caress everyone in Oblivion who kept spouting off about "deedra"

What I don't get is... they're voice actors, but they can only do one voice? There is so little variation in Oblivion and Skyrim between characters' voices, when they could at least try out different accents/pitches/any loving thing.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

El Grillo posted:

they're voice actors

don't be so sure about that

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

One of the male Redguard NPC greetings in Morrowind has him saying "greetings Dumner, what can I do for you"

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

is it true that in Oblivion the deadric princes were voiced by the devs? Sounds likely because they sound like dweebs.
Also, a fun fact: In Morrowind when you switch to 3rd person camera while a daedric prince is speaking you will see that your character's lips a moving, they speak using your mouth

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Sekenr posted:

a fun fact: In Morrowind when you switch to 3rd person camera while a daedric prince is speaking you will see that your character's lips a moving, they speak using your mouth

:aaaaa:

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Sekenr posted:

The thing is: you are all talking about brownness and the fog. When I originally played, someone created this external program that allowed you to extend or reduce visible distance in Morrowind. I had such crap PC that I had to reduce it below built in settings. Remember how hard it is to find poo poo using in game directions? Imagine doing that when you can only see about 3 meters around you. For a while I simply wan't aware that there is an asteroid hanging above Vivec because I didn't see it

Morrowind Graphics Extender you n'wah

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Dr. Lenin posted:

Morrowind Graphics Extender you n'wah

Nope, it was before the extender, it didn't exist back then, it was an app you have to run alongside Morrowind in separate window

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sekenr posted:

is it true that in Oblivion the deadric princes were voiced by the devs? Sounds likely because they sound like dweebs.
Also, a fun fact: In Morrowind when you switch to 3rd person camera while a daedric prince is speaking you will see that your character's lips a moving, they speak using your mouth

:drat:

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

How did you do this? Enchant gear with fortify enchant, equip it, enchant better fortify enchant gear, and so on?

All fortify effects on gear (and probably more than that) are restoration. Boosting your Restoration skill makes all restoration effects increase, even those.

Make a potion of Fortify Restoration and drink it, then put all your Fortify Alchemy gear and make another, then take off all of it and repeat.

It's Morrowind as gently caress. :v:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I'm still puzzled that they even bothered with creating the animation, considering there is exactly 7 instances when this will happen AND you have to switch to external camera AND watch your own face to even notice this is happening.
This even happens with the underwater shrine, your guy floats there in the water blabbering. It really impressed me, as a kid. "What do you want with me, mortal?"

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Mar 1, 2014

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Sekenr posted:

Morrowind FPS Optimizer

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord

Sekenr posted:

Nope, it was before the extender, it didn't exist back then, it was an app you have to run alongside Morrowind in separate window

Cantorsdust posted:

Morrowind FPS Optimizer

Ahhhh I remember this thing now. Looks like this time... I'm the n'wah.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Dr. Lenin posted:

Ahhhh I remember this thing now. Looks like this time... I'm the n'wah.

Stoopid.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I love the super long draw distance. The first time I was in Vivec to finish the Tribunal pilgrimage I saw the mainland. I ended up in the drink and decided to swim over and see exactly what was over there. As I got close I saw what seemed to be a TARDIS in the sky and got very annoyed.

Eventually I made it past the slaughter fish and dragged myself into the mainland only to find that area empty and devoid of everything. I want to see what the hell the TARDIS was and it turned out to be a castle that the bottom of didn't render properly past a certain distance.

I ALMSIVI'ed back to Vivec. I did a couple quests in Vivec until I reached the silent pilgrimage.

I guess what you're supposed to do is walk all the way across the island, but this is the world of CHIM. This is the world of CHEESE. You could very well abuse ALMSIVI and Divine Intervention to make your way across the contingent. Or go there first, Mark the shrine and Recall from Vivec. I wanted to do something more interesting.

On the temple canton in Vivec there's a shrine that gives you a flight buff if you feed it a flight potion. I fed it my finest flight portion and set off.

The shrine gives you like a hundred points of levitation for god knows how many seconds. So I try and see how far I get.

Sailing over the Ascadian Isles was easy. I decided to fly a bit closer to the Ghostfence because it was a shorter route. One by one I picked up a pursuing swarm of cliffracers. Soon a half dozen of the fuckers were on my rear end. They kept sneaking up on me and hobbling me with a lucky hit.

I was starting to get paranoid about my levitation running out as I passed by Ald'Ruhn so I flew down close to the ground. The cliffracers, still on my rear end somehow, got stuck on the geometry. I kept myself no more than twenty feet from the surface for the rest of my sojourn and miraculously the terrible AI kept me from coming under fire until I reached the shrine.

This is the story of Gary the Redguard Thief Priest, Master of House Telvanni. ALMSIVI!

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
I always tried to get into the game, since back when it was new. Back then I had a good excuse for giving up on it because my then-current computer couldn't really run it.

I tried again and again over the years, last time about a year ago. (or so I think)

I never could get into it. I could get into Daggerfall, (still can play it today!) I could get into Skyrim. (I couldn't get into Oblivion but hell, who could) But I never, ever could get into Morrowind.

I get only as far as to meet that first guy you are supposed to meet in Balmora. What am I doing wrong?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Police Automaton posted:

I always tried to get into the game, since back when it was new. Back then I had a good excuse for giving up on it because my then-current computer couldn't really run it.

I tried again and again over the years, last time about a year ago. (or so I think)

I never could get into it. I could get into Daggerfall, (still can play it today!) I could get into Skyrim. (I couldn't get into Oblivion but hell, who could) But I never, ever could get into Morrowind.

I get only as far as to meet that first guy you are supposed to meet in Balmora. What am I doing wrong?

Beginning Morrowind is kind balls hard and a little boring for new players. Best bet is to stay close to seedy ned. (whatever the starting town is called) and take whatever you can and sell it. Now buy appropriate armor weapons and then head to Balmora and start building a nest egg so you can start training up combat stats and to join up with either the mages, fighters or thieves guilds to get loot and quest money.

Also make absolutely sure to use these 2 mods.
http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/42796/
http://download.fliggerty.com/download-37-292

Use mark and recall to fast travel to out-of-the-way locations and the faster running speed to prevent falling asleep at the keyboard.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Police Automaton posted:

get the boots of blinding speed asap. there's a Fine Alchemist who lives in Balmora thats sells 20% resist magicka potions, buy five of those chug em down and slap those boots on. now get to level 10. if you aren't having fun watching your character turn into an immortal god king by now then morrowind aint for yas sry

alternatively to the boots type in console player->setspeed 300

Cantorsdust posted:

this had my laughing all night

the night dad
Oct 23, 2006

by XyloJW

Sekenr posted:

Depending on the wind direction of ash storms you will either slow down moving against it, or speed up moving with it.

Running out of stamina in a puddle can cause you to drown as you fall down face first into it.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

the night dad posted:

Depending on the wind direction of ash storms you will either slow down moving against it, or speed up moving with it.

if you don't have your weapons out, your character will lift their arm to cover their eyes during an ash storm just like the NPCs do

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Police Automaton posted:

do the loving pilgrimage (that everyone hates)
Just take it slow, explore the world. I personally cannot play it anymore because this this only works when you have days or weeks free to just walk around and check it out

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Get to the point where you can confidently take on an NPC in a fight

Then pick a direction and go until you find something cool, and go into it.

Leave, pick another direction, and go.

Extra Smooth Balls
Apr 13, 2005

the night dad posted:

Running out of stamina in a puddle can cause you to drown as you fall down face first into it.

I've seen Dunmer in the ashlander camps get blown backwards during ash storms if they stand still.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
This game is cool. I made a guy and pumped my intelligence to like 100,000 with alchemy and made myself basically Superman with thousands of points in every stat. Though I guess once my fortify health potion runs out I'll die instantly. RIP.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Zoq-Fot-Pik posted:

This game is cool. I made a guy and pumped my intelligence to like 100,000 with alchemy and made myself basically Superman with thousands of points in every stat. Though I guess once my fortify health potion runs out I'll die instantly. RIP.

you and literally everyone else for the past decade

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Lol wrong thread.

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Mortimer posted:

you and literally everyone else for the past decade

It's a fun thing to do, in this fun game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Turning yourself into some kind of post-mer nietzschean mr. hyde-esque demigod is like 3/4 of the fun

Break free from your mortal shackles

• Locked thread