Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

adary posted:

In the end I didn't get the nice little chopper since it looked a lot better in the picture than in real life, but I did get my self a Harley!

Here it is in all it's glory

Cool bike, I think it would look a lot better without those mini ape hangers, are you planning on switching out the bars?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
You may like the look and sound of those pipes (your neighbors sure won't) but a proper 2-1 will give you a lot more power. Pipe wrap is more trouble than it's worth, it likes to hold moisture and rust the pipes. I also wouldn't assume whoever threw those pipes on there had it rejetted correctly.

I'd also say some other bars would make the bike feel better, but to each his own.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

You may like the look and sound of those pipes (your neighbors sure won't) but a proper 2-1 will give you a lot more power. Pipe wrap is more trouble than it's worth, it likes to hold moisture and rust the pipes. I also wouldn't assume whoever threw those pipes on there had it rejetted correctly.

I'd also say some other bars would make the bike feel better, but to each his own.

Agreed on the 2-1s... I noticed a nice difference on my old anemic 883 when I swapped out. I wrapped mine and it certainly saved me from a few light burns (and I liked the look), but moisture/rust isn't a concern in my area. The whitewalls/red look great, congrats on the bike.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh
As much as I don't really like the look of the z-bar, it's comfortable as hell, I rode it yesterday for about 3 hours straight, and felt no fatigue in the arms at all. I might swap them for a straight drag bar somewhere along the road.

The pipes that are on right now sound amazing, and I don't really care for the neighbors, especially since I leave for work around 8am when everyone is supposed to be up already :) Proper 2 in 1 is planned once my budget frees up a bit (the bike was already a bit over)

The white walls with red trim was what tipped me over to decide to go over the budget and buy it. It's simply gorgeous :)

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
I went from 2-into-1 to 2-2 on a Harley and the 2-into-1, at least for my bike, was overrated. I've got more torque off the line now, less mid-range, but neither is really terribly noticeable. Only swap them out if you're into the look; you'll be disappointed in any performance gains / losses

Schlieren fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Feb 21, 2014

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Any moisture caught in pipe wrap will be evaporated almost instantly, but cool kids do ceramic coating.

Braincloud
Sep 28, 2004

I forgot...how BIG...

Snowdens Secret posted:

Hmmm.

Does that thing have a brake light and turn signals?

I assume the brake light was above a side mounted license plate on the other side of the bike. As for turn signals, who needs 'em? That's what your arms are for!

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Braincloud posted:

I assume the brake light was above a side mounted license plate on the other side of the bike. As for turn signals, who needs 'em? That's what your arms are for!

Indeed the brake light is just below the side mounted license plate, and turn signals are for quiet bikes that are not heard from 2 miles away

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

adary posted:

In the end I didn't get the nice little chopper since it looked a lot better in the picture than in real life, but I did get my self a Harley!

Here it is in all it's glory

How is a mostly stock sportster a chopper?

Also is this a troll? I'm really not sure here.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Valt posted:

Well you see when water collects in the exhaust wrap and causes the exhaust to rust through, it will have to be chopped off.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Valt posted:

Mostly stock sportster is not a chopper at all. I went to see a very modified 883 that looked like a piece of crap, and decided to buy the one in that picture instead.

Little chopper I referred to is this one:

(I did post it in this thread prior to that pic)

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

adary posted:

Mostly stock sportster is not a chopper at all. I went to see a very modified 883 that looked like a piece of crap, and decided to buy the one in that picture instead.

Little chopper I referred to is this one:

(I did post it in this thread prior to that pic)

That bike has several bolt ons but that is all. I guess everyone has different definitions but there is at least one thread on here where you can see what a chopper really is.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3609801

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Valt posted:

That bike has several bolt ons but that is all. I guess everyone has different definitions but there is at least one thread on here where you can see what a chopper really is.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3609801

I agree with you, but here in Israel that is the furthest you can go with a bike to make it chopper-like, and we are used to calling them choppers.

As for the other thread, I check at least once a day to see new eye candy. That is some amazing work there

shootme
Dec 29, 2001

Excuse me, where can I find Hevi-Shot?
Picked up a 2003 SV1000s in Maryland last week. Decent amount of stuff done, Yoshimura 3/4 exhaust, sargent seat, fender eliminator, power commander III usb, and a number of other things. Today I finished up new front brake pads, bar end mirrors, smoked windscreen to replace an ugly chrome mirrored one, and cleaned it up a bit. Now it will probably sit around for a month before it's warm enough that I feel like riding.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nice. I've always had a soft spot for those but never got the chance to own one. What's up with the front rotors? I've never seen a 'wave' pattern like that before and past experience makes me distrust them.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I'm pretty sure the wave rotors were stock on the SV, but it's a common appearance upgrade for a streetfighter-y bike of that era.

Always liked the SV1kS, nice pickup.

shootme
Dec 29, 2001

Excuse me, where can I find Hevi-Shot?
I don't like them at all. They are some aftermarket one, you can find them on ebay. I find the gold is completely out of place as well. Looking into the price of them at about $100 a rotor means they are going to stay for a while considering they are in good shape. Maybe I can find someone on svrider that will trade for a set of stock ones. Stock ones are not wavy and have a black center.

fake edit: they look to be EBC's http://www.solomotoparts.com/EBC-Pro-Lite-Contour-Front-Brake-Rotor-SD-System-for-SV1000-S-03-07/?gclid=CMmg2Lup8bwCFTFk7AodwyMAbQ

Here's stock rotors http://images45.fotki.com/v153/photos/3/1279813/9563900/20110326_204816_867-vi.jpg

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

Count me in to the "partial to the SV1k" club.

Those front discs seem like they were taken from a Kawasaki, all of their sportsbikes have had those "petal" rotors and golden centers for maybe a decade now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Those are definitely ebc contour rotors.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?

Slavvy posted:

Nice. I've always had a soft spot for those but never got the chance to own one. What's up with the front rotors? I've never seen a 'wave' pattern like that before and past experience makes me distrust them.

My Honda has stock wave rotors on the front and back. They work just fine.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My ZX10 does too. The problem is that many aftermarket rotors have the wave cutouts impinge on the pads too much and you get a grinding/buzzing feeling through the lever.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

What's the point of the wave rotor anyway? I've never had one.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Marketing.

rmdx
Sep 22, 2013

Ostensibly greater surface area and therefore better cooling, but yes, marketing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Honda brags for one of their bikes (either the new CBR250 or CBR500) that the rear rotor is designed to fit inside the front rotor on the sheet of whatever they make the rotors from, and they cut both at the same time and it saves material. So, marketing.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
That's a little different, the inside of the front rotor has the wave to match the outside of the rear, and that bike's geared to practicality, not raciness.

The general idea behind the wave rotors is it shaves (literally) a few grams of weight without significantly decreasing swept area. Whether that's significant is debatable.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Just picked up this beautiful 2007 Yamaha FZ6 today. It's my second bike ever, I'm coming from a pregen 2007 Ninja 250 and the difference is staggering. I had never even ridden anything other than the 250 so the power difference from its ~20hp parellel twin to the ~90+hp inline four is insanity.

I took a nice ride for about an hour and a half through nice mountain back roads - it was the first semi-warm day, about 50F so it was perfect. The riding position is excellent, nice and upright and comfy, handling and responsiveness around town is easy and not intimidating at all like I expected. I found a few nice straights, and in 2nd gear above 8,000 RPM it just timewarps up to the 14K redline. I know it's not the fastest bike in the world, but to me it feels like I can just teleport long distances - 40-100MPH feels like an instant, whereas the Ninja barely could do 100 and I maybe hit it one or two times in the year I had it.

I can't wait to take this on long trips, highway cruising will be so much better than winding the 250 at 11K in 6th just to do 70mph! I was worried I would hit my lease mileage limits on my new fiesta st, but I don't think I'll be driving it even half as much as I'll ride the bike.

It has 14,000 miles, but it's in absolutely pristine, mint condition. Not a scratch and the only mods an aftermarket seat and possibly the dark windshield, not sure if that came stock or not.

Today was probably the only time I'll get to ride it for at least a few weeks - it's supposed to be below 20F for quite some time :cry:

Bonus pic with my very dirty ST

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Nice bike, Voltage.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I've had an OG '04 for a while, they're pretty solid bikes. Any time you loosen a bolt be sure to use some loctite, mine rattles bolts loose like it's tossing clothes off after work.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nice bike. Nice car. Ride it until the wheels threaten to fall off, then loctite the pinch bolts and ride it some more.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Ahh the joy of a bigger bike...

I too went from a 250 ninja to a large bike with nothing in between. In my case, it was a 1000cc Honda Firestorm (aka Superhawk). That was a real eye opener. It doesn't teleport. In fact, when I open it up, it doesn't move at all. It just makes the Earth spin in reverse until I end up where I want to be. :getin:

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Voltage posted:

Just picked up this beautiful 2007 Yamaha FZ6 today. It's my second bike ever, I'm coming from a pregen 2007 Ninja 250 and the difference is staggering. I had never even ridden anything other than the 250 so the power difference from its ~20hp parellel twin to the ~90+hp inline four is insanity.

I took a nice ride for about an hour and a half through nice mountain back roads - it was the first semi-warm day, about 50F so it was perfect. The riding position is excellent, nice and upright and comfy, handling and responsiveness around town is easy and not intimidating at all like I expected. I found a few nice straights, and in 2nd gear above 8,000 RPM it just timewarps up to the 14K redline. I know it's not the fastest bike in the world, but to me it feels like I can just teleport long distances - 40-100MPH feels like an instant, whereas the Ninja barely could do 100 and I maybe hit it one or two times in the year I had it.

I can't wait to take this on long trips, highway cruising will be so much better than winding the 250 at 11K in 6th just to do 70mph! I was worried I would hit my lease mileage limits on my new fiesta st, but I don't think I'll be driving it even half as much as I'll ride the bike.

It has 14,000 miles, but it's in absolutely pristine, mint condition. Not a scratch and the only mods an aftermarket seat and possibly the dark windshield, not sure if that came stock or not.

Today was probably the only time I'll get to ride it for at least a few weeks - it's supposed to be below 20F for quite some time :cry:

Bonus pic with my very dirty ST

Aftermarket seats should be a requirement for all bikes.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Nice! I plan on buying a new bike sometime in the Fall and the FZ6 is one I'm considering.

Not sure if you have ridden it enough to answer yet, but is the under tail exhaust giving you any trouble? I've seen a couple people on various forums complaining that the exhaust fumes are worse on this bike due to the placement.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I only rode it 50 miles or so, but the undertail didn't really get very hot, I was shocked. I'll have no problem mounting bags on it. Didn't notice any fumes at all. Sounded excellent even though it's stock, but I guess anything sounds better a Ninja 250 Sewing Machine/Lawnmower.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
That's good to hear. I couldn't imagine it being an issue unless you were sitting at stoplights for extended periods of time.

As for the Ninja exhaust, I have one and never thought anything of it until I heard someone else riding one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdWswvLPdE0

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It'll give you some swamp rear end in the summer but otherwise it's a nice seat warmer. I do get an exhaust smell but no worse than any other bike, to me.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Who the gently caress sits still long enough to be able to smell exhaust fumes through their helmet from their own bike?

I've ridden all manner of hoopties and I've never even considered that this might be a problem for anyone other than people on Harleys with short straight pipes.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I've definitely come off of a bike smelling like exhaust.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

I've definitely come off of a bike smelling like exhaust.

I may be remembering folks describing smelling like exhaust, not actually smelling it through the helmet. That would make a lot more sense anyway...

Slavvy posted:

Who the gently caress sits still long enough to be able to smell exhaust fumes through their helmet from their own bike?

I've ridden all manner of hoopties and I've never even considered that this might be a problem for anyone other than people on Harleys with short straight pipes.

Traffic where I live is horrendous. It's not uncommon to sit in the same spot through multiple traffic light cycles on a regular basis. I never really considered it either until stumbling upon the people discussing it on that FZ6 forum. I doubt it's really an issue, just curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I will say that luggage on the back seat does come off reeking so I guess a passenger would too. I made the mistake of strapping a pillow back there for a camping trip without wrapping it up. I had to pat it out and let it air out cause it stank when I laid my head down.