Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Highly Unnecessary
Dec 24, 2009

Anyone know if there are any safari zone like puzzles in gold/silver that pretty much require democracy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muskatnuss
Mar 17, 2013

Killing Vector posted:

According to this google doc it took 22 attempts. Or 21 blackouts, since that's what the contest in this thread was counting.

edit: As far as the other contest goes, final blow was Zapdos with Thundershock, 3 mons still alive at the end.

That's still pretty fast!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Highly Unnecessary posted:

Anyone know if there are any safari zone like puzzles in gold/silver that pretty much require democracy?

There's a couple gyms that require Strength puzzles and one that's an ice puzzle that's basically slide in the right combination. Also a gym that requires moving a certain direction correctly or it's instant start over.

So a lot harder, actually.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Highly Unnecessary posted:

Ice Path will definitely need democracy. So will the Mahogany Town Rocket HQ.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
I took a closer look at the map of Johto, and before Ice Path there is another 1 tile wide ledge, and before the last Gym there is another one.
This is gonna be a magical ride. At least the possibility of wiping in Ice path is low, because there are no encounters on ice.

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
Aww gently caress, I missed it :(

All in all they did much better than I thought. I thought they'd be stuck on Victory Road and the Elite 4 for a week or so.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Ehhh

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

I feel comfort that in all the memes, the craziness in chat of people trying to ask everyone to shut up and let them play, anarchy, democracy, helix, dome, murderous eevees, divine birds and digrats, crazy fans drawing boatloads of fanart... no one's gotten crazy enough to have anyone met and/or married as a result of TwitchPlaysPokemon.

I'm sure there have been high school class public speaking presentations though. :cripes:

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
I missed it all due to having to go on a site visit. The commentary on this thread was amazing, like a prize fight. Can't wait for the next journey.

/\/\/\ Give it time, terrible things will arise from this.

Pteretis
Nov 4, 2011

Westy543 posted:

I feel comfort that in all the memes, the craziness in chat of people trying to ask everyone to shut up and let them play, anarchy, democracy, helix, dome, murderous eevees, divine birds and digrats, crazy fans drawing boatloads of fanart... no one's gotten crazy enough to have anyone met and/or married as a result of TwitchPlaysPokemon.

Happyman posted:

Found the least romantic man on Earth

Hmmm...

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

So I did some late night math that probably wasn't really recommended, but here's some data on our Elite 4 shakedown:

code:
CASUALTY COUNT
---Lorelei---
Dewgong: 15
Cloyster: 10
Slowbro: 4
Jynx: 7
Lapras: 34

Total: 70
---Bruno---
Onix #1: 3
Hitmonchan: 1
Hitmonlee: 5
Onix #2: 4
Machamp: 4

Total: 17
---Agatha---
Gengar #1: 19
Golbat: 0
Haunter: 4
Arbok: 2
Gengar #2: 7

Total: 32
---Lance---
Gyarados: 2
Dragonair #1: 0
Dragonair #2: 1
Aerodactyl: 2
Dragonite: 2

Total: 7
---Blue---
Pigeot: 1
Alakazam: 0
Rhydon: 0
Arcanine: 0
Exeggutor: 0
Blastoise: 1

Total: 2
--------------
FINAL FAINT TOTAL: 129 Mons Fainted (128 Counted Here)
RUNS COMPLETED: 21 Blackouts, 1 Victorious w/3 Fainted Pokemon, 22 Total
Some interesting facts:

• Lapras alone counts for a little less than 27% of all 'Mons fainted during our E4 journey, and counts for more KOs than all of Agatha's team combined.
  • We did not lose a single 'Mon to Alakazam. Eat poo poo, Psychics. :smugdog:
  • Grouped into percentages, the trainers most responsible for killing our beloved motley crew are Lorelei (54% of all faints), Agatha (25%), Bruno (13%), Lance (5%), and finally Blue (1.5%)
  • The top six party-killers of the Elite Four are Lapras (34), Gengar #1 (19), Dewgong (15), Cloyster (10), Gengar #2 (7), and Jynx (7), combined, these six Pokemon make up a whopping 71% of all casualties in the final stretch.

That is more than enough math for me for one night over what essentially amounted to watching Chaos Theory play a videogame. I'm going to bed.

Monathin fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Mar 1, 2014

Buh
May 17, 2008
My favourite thing about this is how perfectly we have kept pace with 'RNG plays Pokemon'. It is run at 10x speed, but even so.
It's also on eight badges; its Typhlosion has reached level 100 but knows only Strength and Cut; it released its only other Pokemon worth a drat (also an overlevelled Pigeot) and is lugging around a team of level 12 Metapods and such, which it periodically deposits or releases.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Rei_ posted:

My dillema right now is that I can easily say 'we'll be at this for a few days' but as soon as I go to sleep they're going to beat Gary.

God damnit. I fell asleep on run 18 out of 20. :<

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 1, 2014

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
RNG Plays Pokemon isn't even truly RNG.

It has been having lots of outside support by the guy running it.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

gently caress I forgot about this.

Also, waiting for people to lose their poo poo over genders in Gen 2. It'd be like if we had the same line up but this time around Eevee and Zapdos hosed according to the fans.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Oh man, I missed this by loving oversleeping by TWO measly hours. :negative:

I checked the save file and it turned out if we extracted Ghastly from daycare, he would have gained 27 levels and was level 50. We could afford it and it is still pretty good.

SkySteak
Sep 9, 2010
I never thought we would've won this.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
loving night crew!!!!!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Aw, missed the grand finale. Still, next game to look forward to. :unsmith:

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

Mordaedil posted:

Ghastly from daycare, he would have gained 27 levels and was level 50. We could afford it and it is still pretty good.

Eh? The impression I get from reading this thread is that Ghastly (or Gastly?) has less than ideal moveset.

Westy543 posted:

gently caress I forgot about this.

Also, waiting for people to lose their poo poo over genders in Gen 2.

There's breeding in Gen 2, yes? I wonder if the chat is going to go nuts over that.

toanoradian fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Mar 1, 2014

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
It seems that Twitch blacked out 21 times, which means that the winner is Inadequately and the runners-up are Slate Action and The Bee.

Please post in this thread to indicate what forums account upgrade you want bought for you. Slate Action and The Bee, yours may cost at most $5.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks! It was just a lucky guess (and the lowest available number at the time). A commemorative avatar would be nice, but my internet seems to have a problem loading them so I wouldn't be able to see it anyway. So I'll settle for a Platinum Upgrade.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

toanoradian posted:

Eh? The impression I get from reading this thread is that Ghastly (or Gastly?) has less than ideal moveset.

For twitch? Yes. As a Pokémon on its own, it has one of the strongest combinations in Hypnosis (putting enemies to sleep) and Dream Eater (dealing massive psychic damage to a sleeping Pokémon).

Additionally, there is Night Shade, which will at this point always dish out 50 damage per use.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

toanoradian posted:

It's learned moveset is pretty meh- the Dream Eater/Hypnosis combo can do work, Night Shade is reliable but not impressive damage-wise, and Confuse Ray can either win you impossible fights or do absolutely nothing.

However, the Gastly line has access to a wide range of special-based TMs like Psychic and Thunderbolt and one of the highest special stats in the game. If you're willing to burn even one TM on the guy he goes from mediocre to monstrous.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Oak tells Blue, "You have forgotten to treat your Pokemon with trust and love!"

Red didn't make that mistake :3:

Neenski
Apr 22, 2006
Damnit, missed the final battle by a few hours. Oh well, it was a great ride. I'll poke my head in on Gold/Silver, but having never played anything beyond Gen 1, it just won't be as fun.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
JoshuaJameson: GUYS WE NEED TO BEAT WHITNEY

:allears:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Aw man did they just beat it? Curse you sleep!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

As usual I managed to miss the coolest parts, but I don't really care. I got to watch the video and read all your reactions. Good work everyone. :unsmith:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

el burbo posted:

Aw man did they just beat it? Curse you sleep!

Been over for about 4 hours.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Guys we need to switch to democracy to get past this screen

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Rynoto posted:

Been over for about 4 hours.

the night shift does it again

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

No. There's more problems than "gotta have Zapdos in the first slot and then just ride him the whole way through" (obviously that doesn't work since he's been KO'ed 15 times), but it won't be days to power through them. I bet that when I check this thread tomorrow morning there will be people complaining about which starter they picked in Pokemon Crystal.

Oh man, I was 23 hours early on that complaining bit but the rest was dead on. :v:

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Looking ahead to Gen 2:
Pokemon that are given to you: Togepi, Eevee, Tyrogue, Spearow, Shuckle. The fight over what to do with Eevee is going to be glorious; unfortunately evolution stones are insanely hard to get in Gen 2 and they probably won't get any until the Elite Four is beaten. Oh well

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Captain Invictus posted:

JoshuaJameson: GUYS WE NEED TO BEAT WHITNEY

:allears:

Twitch chat vs. Rollout

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

What page did the successful run start on?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

MrAristocrates posted:

Guys we need to switch to democracy to get past this screen

there's 30,000 people still watching an ending screen, so I'm not even sure those are all bots.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

el burbo posted:

What page did the successful run start on?

743. It's mostly hype stuff, though.

E: Went back and checked, and 736 is where run 20 ends, and run 21 starts. 743 is when it becomes apparent it could be the one.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Mar 1, 2014

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I loved day shift being all cock of the walk yesterday since they cleared indigo road. Yeah that's really impressive :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I am sad I missed that live, but watching the final run was still magic.
I don't doubt G/S/C will be done but this was something special (as far as gaming goes) and the year only barely started. :allears:

• Locked thread