Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
I don't know where it talks about combos (for example, when you cast tier two spells, you cast two regular ones and then do a backflip for the finale which does about twice as much damage/stagger. Its most notable for the Soul of Thamasa/Locket Necklace which let you do a extra finale for magic and physical attacks respectively.), but perfect timing is explained. You probably noticed when the game dings, that's a perfectly timed guard/attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Perfect guards are a bit more obvious, with the short period where Lightning has that dome over her, clearly showing 'if blocked here, more good-er'.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
So about that secret ending....
Is she meeting Toriyama on our earth because that is loving hilarious.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008
If you have the mpg shield or aegis shield, also make noises if you perfect guard
I don't hear it very often because I tend to forget I have a guard skill

There is also an arm accessory that slightly increases the timing window. I still haven't had any success with perfect timed attacks.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kuai posted:

So about that secret ending....
Is she meeting Toriyama on our earth because that is loving hilarious.

She's in France, so that is pretty unlikely the intended reading. It's probably supposed to be Serah.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Mischitary posted:

Noel/Caius are probably the best characters.

Whaaaat? Their back story was interesting, but Noel is basically adult Sora and doesn't fit in at all with the rest of the 13 cast, attitude or appearance-wise. It's like they were just trying to bring in the Kingdom Hearts fans.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Whaaaat? Their back story was interesting, but Noel is basically adult Sora and doesn't fit in at all with the rest of the 13 cast, attitude or appearance-wise. It's like they were just trying to bring in the Kingdom Hearts fans.

I really like Noel... I'm not going to argue any of what you said though. He was generally just really chill, regardless of the fact that he's the Last Man on Earth. That considered, he complimented Serah well since they were both upbeat main protagonists.

And maybe I just like Jason Marsden characters. Or maybe I liked him because I had him dressed as Ezio Auditore the whole time. Those two things definitely contributed to it, anyway!

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Caius actually fits worst than Noel. He's decked out in some weird Dark Knight armor and wears that dumb headband/feather combo. Also I find everything about Nole/Cauis/Yuell's story to be just terrible and sometimes creepy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Noel was seriously devoid of any personality. I really don't get the people that like him at all. He is just kind of there. Especially considering he watched his species loving go extinct. Goddamn.

Also Caius has been alive forever, so he can wear whatever the gently caress he wants. Maybe looking like a spaceman native american was fashionable when he was a youth.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

For those who have gone to a second play through, since side quests apparently get reset is there any indication of which ones you've already completed? I farted around too much and am almost out of days and so won't be able to finish all the side quests, and I don't want to waste too much time again on a second play through.

Also everything about the moogle village was great. Moogle chucking, Lightning being Lightning to Mog, and the best adornment in the game (giant anime Lightning mask).

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
The only indication is when you redo a quest, if you've done it already, is the rewards change. Specifically, you get more gil, no adornment, and less stat bonuses.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

She's in France, so that is pretty unlikely the intended reading. It's probably supposed to be Serah.
Ending stuff still:
Considering the dialogue suggests that the team were separated when they went to earth, would it be fair to assume that Dajh and Sazh got split up too? The universe does seem to hate our baby chocobo wielding pal. :smith:

Caius is actually pretty good for a Final Fantasy character. His motivation isn't entirely stilted, he's voice acted pretty well because Liam O'Brian is pretty good. He won in his debut game too, which is a nice change.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caius's motivation is "Etro is the worst deity ever" which is pretty much objective truth.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The running theme across the FFXIII trilogy is "Etro fucks up (again)."

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Dr. Eldarion posted:

How is Noel's upbeat personality that different from, say, Snow's in XIII?

JT Smiley posted:

Caius actually fits worst than Noel. He's decked out in some weird Dark Knight armor and wears that dumb headband/feather combo. Also I find everything about Nole/Cauis/Yuell's story to be just terrible and sometimes creepy.

It's not great and all but it was by no means terrible. Compared to where XIII's story goes at the end it's tons better.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I was just fighting Aeronite on Hard mode. He flew off with around 500k of his 36 or so million HP left. That's one Magic Slash combo finish and he's down.

The next time I used an Ether and had an overclock spare to wipe him out, but that first fight stung.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Mischitary posted:

How is Noel's upbeat personality that different from, say, Snow's in XIII?

Snow is putting on a front. Noel is just naturally annoying.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Noel was seriously devoid of any personality. I really don't get the people that like him at all. He is just kind of there. Especially considering he watched his species loving go extinct. Goddamn.

He acts basically the same as any other human, but he looks ridiculous and he's a little more powerful than you'd expect. That's how Last Ones work, duh.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

bobtheconqueror posted:

It's mentioned you can get perfect attacks and guards by timing your button presses. For physical attacks it's when it lands, for magic it's when the spell goes, and for guarding it's right as you're hit. I think it's during the first boss fight with the dragon thing.

I understand the perfect guards and have my timing almost perfect, but I still don't under perfect attacks. What do you mean by "when it lands?" The way I understand it, you have to hold down the assigned attack button to hit annything. I've tried single button presses, but it just begins an attack without landing a hit.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Kak posted:

I understand the perfect guards and have my timing almost perfect, but I still don't under perfect attacks. What do you mean by "when it lands?" The way I understand it, you have to hold down the assigned attack button to hit annything. I've tried single button presses, but it just begins an attack without landing a hit.

You can tap the button to attack, and you get perfects if you hit it when your attack hits.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Kak posted:

One button press = one attack. I don't know why you're not landing hits (there are some moves where she doesn't move into range automatically, or maybe you're just being evaded) but holding the button down is the same as pressing it over and over.

A perfect attack is where you tap to attack once, then tap to attack again right as your sword connects with the enemy (or if you're casting magic, when it leaves your hand). It does a similar bubble effect as a perfect guard when you nail it.

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Tempo 119 posted:

He acts basically the same as any other human, but he looks ridiculous and he's a little more powerful than you'd expect. That's how Last Ones work, duh.

The real injustice is that Noel isn't hot pink.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
Wow, the final dungeon looks like it was made on a budget of approximately five bucks.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

UselessLurker posted:

Wow, the final dungeon looks like it was made on a budget of approximately five bucks.

Have you seen all of it? I thought it got quite impressive looking later on. First bit was dull though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Is there a decent way to scam myself some (Turbo) Ethers? I blew everything I had on Day 12 spamming Aeronite to death, and now that I'm moving on to superboss #2, I've just got one Turbo and one regular Ether.

Similarly, when fighting the boss of the Ultimate Dungeon, I'm told poison is effective, but it seems to last just a few seconds at best, even with a level 3. Is there a better option I'm missing?

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

S-Alpha posted:

Is there a decent way to scam myself some (Turbo) Ethers? I blew everything I had on Day 12 spamming Aeronite to death, and now that I'm moving on to superboss #2, I've just got one Turbo and one regular Ether.

Similarly, when fighting the boss of the Ultimate Dungeon, I'm told poison is effective, but it seems to last just a few seconds at best, even with a level 3. Is there a better option I'm missing?

Outerworld or unappraised items are your best bet. Make a few runs in the temple destroying statues.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I think his lack of any seriously grating personality "quirks" was initially treated as a relief after FFXIII's cast, but he was so bland and static that he ended up just as bad anyway.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012

S-Alpha posted:

For the Ultimate Lair's boss, poison does only last a few seconds, but it still does tremendous amounts of damage. The only ways to extend its duration is to use higher tier poisons, or the Femme Fatale weapon, or have debuffs with auto-abilities that extend debuff duration.

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Does anyone have any tips for Caius i can get him to half health with Army of One but it's just as hard to get to him as it is to fight him.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

abaddonis posted:

Outerworld or unappraised items are your best bet. Make a few runs in the temple destroying statues.

I did about 10 runs back and forth through the ruins, and dumped them off at the guy after each run, but got nothing. Some quick checking tells me he gives away ethers after you've tossed X number of items at him in one lump sum. Welp, time to reload I guess. :downs:

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 2, 2014

VHGS
Jul 24, 2013

Smornstein posted:

Does anyone have any tips for Caius i can get him to half health with Army of One but it's just as hard to get to him as it is to fight him.

Give your defensive schema high resistance to magic and a shield with decent ATB. Learn to consistently block commando stance and just keep slapping him and get your big damage in during staggers. I feel like Army of One isn't that great; if you have a decent level heavy slash or blitz, you probably get more damage out of your OC. If you have artemis pierce, even better.

Also, you can't remove his buffs by using opposing debuffs, but he has zero resistance to dispel.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Smornstein posted:

You, uh, know you can teleport back to him once you've gotten to to the top, right?

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
Ideally, you'll want to stagger him once in COM stance, wait for RAV stance, and then stagger him again, and kill him. If you push him too far in COM stance, he'll never switch to RAV, and he's much harder to stagger twice in COM stance for a newer player. Be sure to perfect guard Megaflare as well, since that is pretty easy to do.

abaddonis
Mar 4, 2008

Gaz-L posted:

You, uh, know you can teleport back to him once you've gotten to to the top, right?

I didn't know you could do that.

After listening to the morning theme of the Wildlands, I definitely think of the Superman theme song for the first few notes. The rest makes me think of Princess Mononoke

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Snow is putting on a front. Noel is just naturally annoying.

You don't think the same could be said of Noel especially after all he went through?

Oxxidation posted:

I think his lack of any seriously grating personality "quirks" was initially treated as a relief after FFXIII's cast, but he was so bland and static that he ended up just as bad anyway.

I actually didn't find really any of the characters in XIII to be grating or totally annoying, I was more just annoyed with the dumb writing and where the plot ended up going, but some scenes are still pretty good. I thought the scene where Snow confronts the guys in front of Hope's father's house was pretty good, and the scene with Vanille and Sazh at that amusement park or whatever. The absolutely stupidest thing though has to be the part where Lightning talks about why she's called Lightning. I still don't understand why they didn't just make Lightning her name. There's a guy named Snow in the game! And her having a "regular" name doesn't matter even a little bit, even her own sister calls her Lightning for fucks sake.

Refused
Sep 6, 2005

S-Alpha posted:

Killing the Goblot Last One in the omega lair should get you Lv 4 poison. Buy a Carmen's dance sword and get the skeleton earrings as well. One stick of poison took off probably 70% of his health on normal mode when I used that setup.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Refused posted:

Killing the Goblot Last One in the omega lair should get you Lv 4 poison. Buy a Carmen's dance sword and get the skeleton earrings as well. One stick of poison took off probably 70% of his health on normal mode when I used that setup.

I ended up doing most of my monster massacre well before this - most before day 7. I ended up beating the boss by equipping the Femme Fatale and using my level 3 poison in between spamming Overclock attacks. Didn't even need half of Turbo Ethers I stocked up.

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
And what was your score after that? I'm finding the most enjoyable part of the game, for me so far, is winning really hard bosses without using items or EP. It certainly seems easy to cheese all the bosses with ethers and overclocking repeatedly, but winning without using any items/EP, and getting a high score is drat satisfying.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
I got 5 red stars on a boss the other day instead of the usual big gold ones. Anyone know what that means?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrealinia
May 30, 2013

Kalenn Istarion posted:

I got 5 red stars on a boss the other day instead of the usual big gold ones. Anyone know what that means?

Depending on your score I believe you can get the following:
0 Stars
1-5 Red/Bronze stars
1-5 Silver stars
1-5 Gold stars.

So you just didn't get as many points as you could have done.

• Locked thread