Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
overtone
Jul 26, 2001
t(o_ot)

jscolon2.0 posted:

I am the one that nocks

Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Man I love this show. I know it's been said a million times, but this whole Sarah & Laurel dispute could have lasted AGES. Not only did it get resolved, but it was both introduced AND resolved that Laurel found out about the vigilante gently caress-fest.

I love it when poo poo doesn't drag out. :)

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I definitely agree as far as the Laurel/Sara thing goes, though we have to admit that the Laurel thing on its own has definitely gone on for way longer than was strictly required. :sweatdrop:

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Feenix posted:

I love it when poo poo doesn't drag out. :)

Don't worry, now we have the Felicity/Sarah jealousy thing to deal with. :unsmigghh:

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
I'm glad we got from Point A to Point B on the rift w/ the sister but despite some decent acting,Laurel's monologue at the end was the worst since Billy Madison:

http://youtu.be/wKjxFJfcrcA

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

WarLocke posted:

Don't worry, now we have the Felicity/Sarah jealousy thing to deal with. :unsmigghh:

If it gets Felicity on the salmon ladder bring it on.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I can't believe they did the 'invite Oliver as a surprise guest to the Sarah/Laurel and family reconciliation dinner' thing. It makes Oliver and Sarah look either extremely cruel or so sociopathic that they can't see how hurtful that would be. I was hoping someone would dress them down for it, but instead, Laurel gets the guilt trip. The whole business is insane.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

a foolish pianist posted:

I can't believe they did the 'invite Oliver as a surprise guest to the Sarah/Laurel and family reconciliation dinner' thing. It makes Oliver and Sarah look either extremely cruel or so sociopathic that they can't see how hurtful that would be. I was hoping someone would dress them down for it, but instead, Laurel gets the guilt trip. The whole business is insane.

Sara was going into what had been a very hostile environment up to that point, wanting to take along a friend as a safety blanket is hardly mindboggling. It's not like she has other "official" friends in town to bring.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

a foolish pianist posted:

That fits the characters of Ollie and especially Sara pretty well.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Yannick_B posted:

Putting the symbol on the mask rather than the chest could end up being a pretty good idea for a costume design.
A whole cowl with a chin-thing is pretty hard to realize in-live action but it looks good there.

Sorry to disappoint but the Flash also has a chest symbol and it rules.

BarbarousBertha
Aug 2, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Sorry to interrupt the Sladechat but:

The motherfucking Flash :flashfap:

I have a sudden intense craving for raspberry fruit leather.

The cowl looks pretty great, and I think you guys are underestimating the powers of spirit gum, editing, and the inherent elastic properties of dried fruit puree.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah that cowl looks fantastic, especially considering how easy it would have been to make it look goofy as poo poo. Getting more and more excited about the show and the inevitable crossover episodes.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
One small point to mention about the last episode...while I enjoyed it despite some minor writing flaws, I absolutely loved the instrumental score for all the Clock King action. It was very character driven and menacing without being a distraction from the other composed music.

Dance Marine
Feb 17, 2014

Is there anyone else that really dislikes the idea of the Flash been in the show. I know its not realistic now but I think it will just push it over the edge and make the show cheesy and lame, like Heroes in the last few seasons.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Man_at_desk posted:

Is there anyone else that really dislikes the idea of the Flash been in the show. I know its not realistic now but I think it will just push it over the edge and make the show cheesy and lame, like Heroes in the last few seasons.

As good as the first season of Heroes was, Arrow's first season still trumps it. Basically what I'm saying is you can't really compare them because Arrow is the poo poo. I'm confident the showrunners are capable of making The Flash work just fine, both in his own show and in the shared universe. And come on, with villians like Slade, Deadshot, and Solomon Grundy among others, having The Flash thrown into the mix wouldn't be too out of reach really.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I've been playing Injustice lately and it's my only other real exposure to non-Batman DC characters. Is the Green Arrow a lighthearted goofy character outside of CW?

The game makes Flash pretty intriguing too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep42gT3VE9E

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's gone through some changes over the years but i wouldn't really call him goofy. He's a sense of humour. Him and Flash are always up for some laughs, most of the other JLA dudes are all sad sacks.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
So the main idea now is that if Quentin Lance doesn't know Ollie's deal, he's the biggest idiot ever, right?

Here's what he knows:

Ollie and Sarah were both missing for 5 years.
Ollie returns to town, and a new vigilante shows up around the same time
Sarah returns to town and a new vigilante shows up around the same time
Sarah and Ollie are quickly becoming reacquainted
Canary and Arrow work together frequently
Sarah told him that she left Ollie's party at the same time he did.
She shows up with Arrow.
I'm leaving out "Seriously? You're standing ten feet away from him and half his face isn't actually covered!!!" because Comic Book Show

If this doesn't end with Ollie revealing himself and Lance isn't all "No poo poo," he deserves to be made an rear end in front of his ex wife and entire family.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Don't forget he knows Felicity, an employee of Queen consolidated / Oliver's personal assistant, has a direct link to the Arrow

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

GigaPeon posted:

So the main idea now is that if Quentin Lance doesn't know Ollie's deal, he's the biggest idiot ever, right?

Here's what he knows:

Also, Ollie's personal assistant Felicity frequently works with the Arrow.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Zypher posted:

Don't forget he knows Felicity, an employee of Queen consolidated / Oliver's personal assistant, has a direct link to the Arrow

jscolon2.0 posted:

Also, Ollie's personal assistant Felicity frequently works with the Arrow.

Oh poo poo, totally forgot about that one. Either he's going to pull the slick burn or he's literally Barney Fife.

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!
Maybe Quentin believes in Double Jeopardy, and since he's already cleared Oliver once, he can never accuse Oliver ever again.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Well, the whole "Ollie, you're no killer," poo poo that he's been saying for a while now absolutely REEK of him doing his damndest to wink-and-a-nod casually remark that he knows (something) about what is going on. I mean, if it were just his daughter he'd been blaming him for a real human being would say "I know you didn't kill HER" (not killER) so...

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Drifter posted:

Well, the whole "Ollie, you're no killer," poo poo that he's been saying for a while now absolutely REEK of him doing his damndest to wink-and-a-nod casually remark that he knows (something) about what is going on. I mean, if it were just his daughter he'd been blaming him for a real human being would say "I know you didn't kill HER" (not killER) so...

Yeah, that's the way I chose to interpret it as well.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Man_at_desk posted:

Is there anyone else that really dislikes the idea of the Flash been in the show. I know it’s not “realistic” now but I think it will just push it over the edge and make the show cheesy and lame, like Heroes in the last few seasons.

I don't like the idea of it either. I'm hoping that the flash being a separate show let's them keep powers out of arrow. I mean obviously arrow is a very over the top and exaggerated show, but I like the fact that there are no superpowers, just really well trained people, and I think adding them at this point would kill a lot of the charm the slow has.

Also Lance totally knows. People keep citing comic book mask protection (which doesn't even need to have anything with him knowing, though it is still pretty silly) or the whole Lois Lane thing, which seriously is outdated as hell. Those scenes at the party and after basically confirmed that he knows anyway. The scene where Ollie ~reveals his identity~ and Lance just gives him a look of disbelief is going to be great. (disbelief that Ollie didn't realize he's known for ages)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Taffer posted:

I don't like the idea of it either. I'm hoping that the flash being a separate show let's them keep powers out of arrow. I mean obviously arrow is a very over the top and exaggerated show, but I like the fact that there are no superpowers, just really well trained people, and I think adding them at this point would kill a lot of the charm the slow has.

Powers are already in the show, though.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Taffer posted:

Also Lance totally knows. People keep citing comic book mask protection (which doesn't even need to have anything with him knowing, though it is still pretty silly) or the whole Lois Lane thing, which seriously is outdated as hell. Those scenes at the party and after basically confirmed that he knows anyway. The scene where Ollie ~reveals his identity~ and Lance just gives him a look of disbelief is going to be great. (disbelief that Ollie didn't realize he's known for ages)

I'm hoping for some really bad, Mr. Bean level acting from Lance when he 'pretends' to be surprised and reassures Oliver he had NO idea.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Powers are already in the show, though.

To a limited extent, yeah, and it really bugs me. I hope they play it way down.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Taffer posted:

To a limited extent, yeah, and it really bugs me. I hope they play it way down.

I don't think it is all that limited. People affected by the Mirakuru have fairly extensive powers.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sara has super-strength too. You can't actually fight like she does at her size.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

I don't think it is all that limited. People affected by the Mirakuru have fairly extensive powers.

And it's really lame. :(

I would have much preferred if it was more like a strong steroid instead of a literal superhuman drug. I definitely think it's the weakest part of the show - the stuff with Slade could have been done easily without it, and likewise with the stuff with Roy.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Sara has super-strength too. You can't actually fight like she does at her size.

This is a superhero show. The goal is not to be 'realistic' but to tell an entertaining story. If smaller women beating up larger men is too unrealistic for you to enjoy then you're gonna have a bad time.

Other outlandishly impossible things

-Oliver's archery prowess
-every public institution in Starling City
-everything the police do and every court case
-every criminal's schtick
-every technology explanation
-Amell's abs (JUST KIDDING)

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Taffer posted:

I would have much preferred if it was more like a strong steroid instead of a literal superhuman drug. I definitely think it's the weakest part of the show - the stuff with Slade could have been done easily without it, and likewise with the stuff with Roy.

I won't try to convince you otherwise, but I don't really see the appeal of a show without powers. A show with powers done well - which is what Arrow is - is far more interesting to me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Arrow is still a very street-level show, though. So far they've picked their one thing (Mirakuru) and gone with that, which hasn't changed the overall feel of the show, really. A drug that gives you the powers from that Daft Punk song is outlandish, but still several tiers below, say, moving at the speed of light or backwards-talking magic or telekinesis

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Arrow is still a very street-level show, though. So far they've picked their one thing (Mirakuru) and gone with that, which hasn't changed the overall feel of the show, really. A drug that gives you the powers from that Daft Punk song is outlandish, but still several tiers below, say, moving at the speed of light or backwards-talking magic or telekinesis

We all know the Flash is going to have his powers so severely nerfed that it's a joke. MAYBE he'll run fast enough that people have their papers whisked out of their hands.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, pretty much this. I'm not a fan of the mirakuru but it's not too terrible. I'm just afraid it's the doorway to lots of "super" stuff and I just don't think that would be good for this show.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm on the superpowers good side of the argument. If you don't want superpowers watch Person of Interest. (actually watch PoI anyway, it's a great show.)

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Taffer posted:

I just... what? Why are you watching a show about a DC Comic superhero

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Human After All? That's not much of a steroid then.

I'm a little wary of mirakuru being overused the way green rocks were on Smallville. That was a much more superpower focused show, but they did retarded poo poo with green rocks every week probably up until the long-form Zod arc starting paying off. Then it was only biweekly. Sooner or later they'll do something that makes everyone call bullshit on mirakuru, and then even the relatively tamer stuff gets called out too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Taffer posted:

Well there's also the fact that he apparently knows but has just chosen to not blow up Oliver's spot, despite the fact that they have a long history and it would be to his benefit to just tell Oliver he knows. I've said it before: I 100% agree that Lance should know, but would not be surprised in the slightest if they're holding off on having him become an official part of team Arrow until they set something up where Ollie dramatically reveals his identity to him (my guess is when whatever happens to make Laurel black canary goes down). I dunno, just seems like they're sort of jumping through some unnecessary hoops just to keep Lance knowing as a potential joke.

Also people keep bringing it up as proof that he knows, but Lance telling Ollie that he's no killer if he knows he's Arrow doesn't make any sense, because Ollie is a killer. He showed up from the island and proceeded to murder the poo poo out of a lot of bad guys. Now Lance has obviously reconciled that fact with the fact that Ollie is ultimately just trying to help the city, but it's still pretty bizarre for him to tell Ollie that he's no killer given his past. In fact I thought it was pretty obvious that the main point of the scene is to show that Lance doesn't know Ollie at all. The idea that it's actually a double meaning and totally proves that he knows seems like a bit of a stretch.

We'll see I guess, as I don't expect it to continue being a secret for that much longer given how quickly the plot moves. Although it'd be kind of funny if Lance knowing or not knowing was just permanently in the air and never actually resolved in the show's entire run.

VDay fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Mar 1, 2014

• Locked thread