Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

What do y'all do for oil? I found GetBMWParts has a kit with filter, washer & BMW brand oil for $76 shipped, which seems pretty good compared to Castrol at Amazon for $65 for 7 qts and roughly $10 for a filter locally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
$96 for 12 Qts of 5/30 at the BMW Dealer, filters from Amzn prime.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 28, 2014

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

ColdPie posted:

GetBMWParts has a kit with filter, washer & BMW brand oil for $76 shipped

This is exactly what I use for oil changes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Is that a good price? I usually buy 3-4 filter kits off the Internet and oil at Walmart.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Walmart ~20$ a gal for Rotella T6 5w40, Purolator for the s52 :10bux:, :10bux::10bux: for the m54 at Autozone. Speaking of which, does anyone know a brand of m54 filter that comes with crush washers?

Also GOD drat oil filter housing, why is it different plastic on the 54 from the 52 and don't tell me "cost savings" because I spent 25 bucks on the 36mm socket the first time I went to change the oil and said, "Oh. That's different."

Also if I didn't change my oil like every 2 months, I'd probably just buy those kits but putting ~110 miles a day on the wagon hurts and I'm lazy.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

I add a Mahle filter to my periodic Pelican Parts orders, which comes with a crush washer and an o-ring for the oil filter housing cap.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

HotCanadianChick posted:

I never said anyone actually ordered an E65 in the US with a stick, just that it was listed as an option and you could configure one on the BMW USA website.

Frankly I'd be shocked to see any year of 7 with a manual, anywhere in the world (outside of the one-off 760il manual BMW made for The Transporter series of movies, where it's been noted that 760i's specifically were not normally available with a stick unlike other 7s)

I post typed up the other day also doubting this with more details but decided it wasn't worth posting, anyways though I can't find evidence of any manual transmission E65 (or 66/7/8) ever being officially built for any country, not just the US. As far as I can find the E38 was the last official three pedal 7 series, only on the six cylinder models for most markets and the 740 only for the Germans.

Wiki claims that the pre-facelift Alpina F01s offered a six speed stick and I'd accept that as official enough, but I can't find anything else other than wiki mentioning such a thing at all.

Also the Transporter E38 is a 750 not a 760, converted to use an 850's six speed by BMW, debadged and described by Statham as a 735.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I remember the early days of BMW boards on Roadfly probably around 1999-2000 and guys fighting over 740 sport stick availability and basically freaking out when they started disappearing. Once you add NAV, Idrive (especially), iPods, iPhones to a luxury car and along with the vast automatic transmission improvements the last thing you really have time for is an MT (IMO) especially putzing around town or in stop and go traffic while on a conference call with board of directors or a hedge fund - so literally no E65 buyers really cared. Plus all those guys have an MT 911/M3/exotic etc tucked away for fun times. The 5 overlaps that crowd now - so again, very few even care for an MT...hell my 2013 has been for sale for months at a way below avg price.

Also: BMW's website is notorious for occasionally having wonky inaccurate configurations on the options.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 28, 2014

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I'm as much of a man-tran nutter as the rest of AI, but even I wouldn't buy a modern 7 series with a manual. Even the modern 5 series I would probably option in automatic. An E39 sure give me the stick, but the E60 and especially F10 have gotten way softer.

The type of people who spend $100k on a flagship luxury car aren't looking to row their own, at least not in their luxury barge. The type of people who spend $100k on a flagship luxury car but also enjoy a manual also own a 911 or similar.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Feb 28, 2014

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Absolutely, and remember in them' thar' old days you would also save $2k+ with an MT. Now BMW flat out says "gently caress you same price as auto" on the 5, moves the steering wheel volume controls to the right side, puts a cupholder right behind the iDrive (I don't use cupholders anyway but still) and also uglies up the center console to squeeze the MT box in there.

If they do it to the 3 series and smaller though, poo poo will get real. :jihad:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
A far cry from my E34 which has no cup holders and a large open area around the stick shift.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
I feel like I'm getting soft in my old age. I'm starting to prefer my e46 to my 36/30 which is something I said I would never do.
I took the M3 to the growler store down the street to warm it up last night and actually reached for steering wheel radio controls. :doh: Its just so damned comfortable. Probably helps that the M3 is about to throw a rod and the e30 needs rear subframe bushes and a complete shifter rebuild and power steering that doesn't want to move at all below ~40F

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

SuperDucky posted:

I feel like I'm getting soft in my old age. I'm starting to prefer my e46 to my 36/30 which is something I said I would never do.
I took the M3 to the growler store down the street to warm it up last night and actually reached for steering wheel radio controls. :doh: Its just so damned comfortable. Probably helps that the M3 is about to throw a rod and the e30 needs rear subframe bushes and a complete shifter rebuild and power steering that doesn't want to move at all below ~40F

This is why I have yet to own a newer than e36 BMW. I might get too comfortable with all those gizmos and gadgets lieing around. (I still really want an e46 M3 as well, don't tell my e36)

So the old man went with my suggestion and just picked up a 2002 e46 touring. I'm really jealous, it's imola red and only 51k miles. Now just to convince him to stick some BBS LM wheels on there and get it lowered a tad.

Popete fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 28, 2014

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Once you have the comforts of the nicer ride you really turn all prima-dona. Heated steering wheels are the cat's god drat rear end and I miss that from my E60 every day its cold out.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Once you have the comforts of the nicer ride you really turn all prima-dona. Heated steering wheels are the cat's god drat rear end and I miss that from my E60 every day its cold out.

rear end warmers. Never again will I live with leather seats without rear end Warmers.

I still think the e46 is the best balance of comfort/driving that BMW's done.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Viper_3000 posted:

rear end warmers. Never again will I live with leather seats without rear end Warmers.

Lucky my e36 M3 does have front seat warmers.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Popete posted:

This is why I have yet to own a newer than e36 BMW. I might get too comfortable with all those gizmos and gadgets lieing around. (I still really want an e46 M3 as well, don't tell my e36)

So the old man went with my suggestion and just picked up a 2002 e46 touring. I'm really jealous, it's imola red and only 51k miles. Now just to convince him to stick some BBS LM wheels on there and get it lowered a tad.

Was it an individual order? Generally only the 4.xis e53s and e46zhps were available in Imola. Also, post pictures!

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Viper_3000 posted:

When I was car shopping a year and a half ago, my only requirements were RWD, manual, and heated seats. Outside of some very recent cars like late gen NC Miatas, the BRZ limited, and the current gen Camaro, there wasn't many options, and those three are too new and expensive still for me to have gotten one on the budget/schedule I had (needing a replacement only car/DD after some lady totalled my previous car).

I could have gotten my practical yet sporty fix with an Evo (lol no) or WRX STI, but both are less comfortable and far more boy-racery than what I wanted. Seemingly every G35 coupe in the area has a salvage title so those were out too. My E46 is totally comfortable and practical for daily driving, yet manages to put an even bigger smile on my face than my old MR2 ever did. It's such a good blend of everything I wanted you might even say it's 'the ultimate driving machine'. :)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just wait until you get addicted to cooled seats. Then you're pretty much stuck with modern cars.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

I am pretty glad then that I consider heated seats an abomination and unnerving at all times.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Maxwells Demon posted:

I am pretty glad then that I consider heated seats an abomination and unnerving at all times.

You'll say that right up until the first time you get into a car on a cold winter morning and are rewarded with warm toasted cheeks before the engine even gets up to temp. Then there's no going back.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

When its a -19F morning the heated seats are the only thing providing me with warmth for about the first 10 minutes of driving. For all the crazy radiator exploding heat BMW engines produce they sure don't heat up fast in the winter.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

HotCanadianChick posted:

You'll say that right up until the first time you get into a car on a cold winter morning and are rewarded with warm toasted cheeks before the engine even gets up to temp. Then there's no going back.

I have ridden in my parents' 2010 Subaru. I know the feeling, I can generate enough butt warmth on my own. Any more and it feels like I'm sitting in a chair previously occupied by a fat guy. And don't even start on the true weirdness of sitting in heated seats still heating during a drive.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Popete posted:

Lucky my e36 M3 does have front seat warmers.

Ugg. I leave for work at 6 in the morning and the seats are so cold when it is 0*F out that I eventually just tossed a blanket over the entire seat. It doesn't help that I essentially wear pajamas to work. How hard would it be to add heated seats to an e36 m3?.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
See this is why I opted for Speedcloth on my E92

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ThirstyBuck posted:

Ugg. I leave for work at 6 in the morning and the seats are so cold when it is 0*F out that I eventually just tossed a blanket over the entire seat. It doesn't help that I essentially wear pajamas to work. How hard would it be to add heated seats to an e36 m3?.

The thing is I don't even drive the M3 in winter, I'm currently in the 1987 e30 which definitely does not have heated seats. So for 90% of the time I don't even get to use them :(

Edit: Re-reading this, it sounds incredibly whiney. I love these older cars, and not having heated seats in the e30 is part of the ~ultimate~ driving experence :3:

Popete fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Mar 1, 2014

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

So my headlight and tail/brake light bulbs keep fizzling out and I kind of want to just replace them all now. Any recommendations for nice lighting on my E46 wagon that won't turn me into one of those blind-you-with-my-headlights dudes?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I get around not having heated seats in the e36 m3 by living in a sensible place that doesn't get crazy cold: Seattle. :v:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Maxwells Demon posted:

Spoken by someone who obviously doesn't live somewhere actually cold. Heated seats are always faster then the vents, and cold leather is especially awful. I went from an e36 with heated seats to a golf with none and it loving sucks.

ThirstyBuck posted:

It's easy..if you buy the heated seats and some switches. Otherwise it's not really worth the effort.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

mutata posted:

So my headlight and tail/brake light bulbs keep fizzling out and I kind of want to just replace them all now. Any recommendations for nice lighting on my E46 wagon that won't turn me into one of those blind-you-with-my-headlights dudes?

Not sure if you're halogen or hid but I really liked the Osram night breakers I put in the E34. They give a fantastic boost to light without being blue or overpowered.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Awful awful awful cold starts, now leading to stalling out and then vibration under load. I'm guessing ignition coil or fuel filter? E36 M3.

Car was running a little rough earlier this winter, but popped right back when it was (briefly) warm last week. Now that it's hit 15*F or so, it's worse than ever. Ideas?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Oh man, I am a mid-40 something goon who never owned a car with heated seats until 18 months ago...my wonky back really appreciates them and I use them year round.

:corsair:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Koirhor posted:

See this is why I opted for Speedcloth on my E92

Speed cloth owners represent. I didn't like the leather used in my blue UK M3, even with the heaters, so it was an easy option to skip.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

You know what's better than heated leather seats? Heated cloth seats. If there is one feature from my brother's Saab 9-3 that I want, it's that.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

ThirstyBuck posted:

$24 and about two minutes. Only about a 40% chance it will set you, your car, or both on fire.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

This conversation lends to a topic I have been debating with that I think some of you BMW veterans (like DasVolk) could help out with. I'm a goal setter/planner by nature and am looking forward to my next BMW but can't narrow it down between a couple of choices.

Since I was in high school and the E46 M3 was released I have been in love with everything about that car. They are becoming more attainable with time as well. I'm at a great place in life and so my dream car will easily become a reality. The problem is that the E9x M3's have also become like they could be a realistic option for me as well and while I'm not as drunk on that style there are so many pros that it is clouding my decision.

I'm driving my car maybe ~7k miles a year. This car would be my fair weather driver since I would just keep my E36 as the 'beater'. This car would be a no compromise decision to find 'The One'. My wife would drive it as well when she runs out on errands and whatnot. We have a second child on the way, and will probably have one, possibly two more so this is not a people hauler.

Pros of my 'dream' E46:
-It would be LSB on black or alpine white on cinnamon, '03 or newer
-Low miles, preferably one or two owners
-My wife loves the idea and design of the E46 M3 like I do
-It is DIY friendly
-budgeting in my mind for approximately ~$25k, knowing if I can find one cheaper that fits my requirements I would take it.
Cons:
-Typical E46 issues, age, becoming more scarce, only two doors with kids occasionally riding along...

Reasons I am considering the E9x M3:
-You can get a sedan (and I love the sedans)
-newer 'creature comforts' like the last page has been discussing
-Would need to be alpine white, maybe interlagos blue and must be a sedan
-More power
-newer and potentially more reliable
-budgeting around $30-35k
-will maintain value longer
Cons:
-higher operating costs, but kind of negligible as it will not have many miles put on it yearly
-less DIY friendly
-higher initial cost
-I'm not as fanatic about the styling (probably due to nostalgia, as the E46 was a car I obsessed over)

This is something I am thinking is 3 years out, as I stated before I am a planner/goal setter and have some things that need completing before this but plan on paying 100% cash for. Setting goals has been a successful thing for me to do and so I just need to know where to aim so I can direct my energy.

Edit: my motivations

Somewhat Heroic fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 1, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I think if that's your inspiration, then your head is in the right place :)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

This is completely subjective, but I feel like the E46 was the last traditional BMW 3-series. The E90 seems huge compared to the E46, and it feels that way driving it too. Its like when they slotted in the 1-Series the 3-series went from the smaller sporty car to the comfortable mid size touring car. I've been test driving both lately and between two comparable models (E46 330i vs E90 328i) the E46 feels much nippier and agile while the E90 is much more comfortable. For reference the E90 is wider, and only slightly shorter than my E34 5-series, and that car feels huge.

I'd really look into the 1-Series if its at all in your range. Otherwise if you have the money look for a really good E46 330i or M3. I think you'd do better with a really great example of an E46 than getting an E90 on the lower end of their price range.

8ender fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Mar 1, 2014

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

While I certainly appreciate the 330 ZHP it is specifically the M3 that I would want. Extra cost of maintaining it over the non-M is not going to be the limiting factor. I do get that the E90/92 is particularly larger which could have real world convenience. While the price range I'm stating is the bottom of the range for now in a few years when I plan on doing it there will be many more options also since the newer F platforms should help push prices down a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The $35k E90 M3's seem like they've all been flogged by the 2-3 previous owners...which isn't as big of a financial risk with the much more reasonable E46....finding a non-SMG coupe is a problem though.