Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Some cars will simply ignite the exhaust on their own if you're running it hard enough, as evidenced by the flames you see in videos like the P1, Aventador and so on. Other cars with short-ish exhausts will do it too, a friend and I were following a GT3 with decatted exhaust that made little baseball size blue flames in the exhaust outlets. I'd imagine a turbo car can easily be tuned to be overly rich and put out ignition-worthy amounts of fuel into the exhaust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

edit, what ^ he said too.

There's a flame tune (running pig rich), or you can setup anti-lag for a turbo setup, but I've seen most ricers/people do it the cheap way and have a switch on one of the plug leads causing that cylinder to misfire, thus throwing unburnt fuel into the exhaust and voila, throwing flames.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

bung posted:

The last new car I bought was a WRX and I dealt directly with the internet sales guy. That had to be the quickest and most painless deal I'd ever done. Now my wife and I have buying from Carmax and have had very good luck. Over the course of a year I had traded the WRX for a Solstice, wife traded a Saab 9-3 Aero for a Camaro SS, and I traded the Solstice back for a Tacoma. We have always come out on the plus side on trade and I think we have gotten pretty good deals on the cars bought. I even came out on the plus side trading the Solstice back after one year.
I bought my last car (WRX) through the Costco program. The only bit of a PITA is that you have to go to the place to get your pricing. But otherwise, you sit down, they tell you "3% under invoice," and you say "I'll take it," and you're done.

Probably helps to be paying cash and to not have a trade-in.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

drukqs posted:

Apparently the owner is in India... Western car culture spreading lightning fast and getting exaggerated greatly... ugh

That might actually be the best thing about this specific trend - it creates a snowball effect of increasing terribleness the further you go from where it originated. It's going to be great.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

drukqs posted:

Apparently the owner is in India... Western car culture spreading lightning fast and getting exaggerated greatly... ugh

Cargo cult ricing. I love it. (The phenomenon, not the results. :barf:)

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

My old MR2 turbo had visible flames from the exhaust when it was being driven hard during shifting. It didn't have a special tune or dumb things on the exhaust, it was just extremely short and the ECU loved to dump the extra fuel from the turbo upon shifting.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
FB RX-7 with a straight pipe is always a good recipe for shooting flames and in general being uncouth as hell.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Das Volk posted:

Some cars will simply ignite the exhaust on their own if you're running it hard enough, as evidenced by the flames you see in videos like the P1, Aventador and so on. Other cars with short-ish exhausts will do it too, a friend and I were following a GT3 with decatted exhaust that made little baseball size blue flames in the exhaust outlets. I'd imagine a turbo car can easily be tuned to be overly rich and put out ignition-worthy amounts of fuel into the exhaust.
I guess if you're running a blow-off valve and dumping metered air, that may be a factor as well.

Of course, a lot of people in the UK went with a really simple solution - small canisters of gas for camping stoves plumbed into the exhaust pipes.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

InitialDave posted:

I guess if you're running a blow-off valve and dumping metered air, that may be a factor as well.

Of course, a lot of people in the UK went with a really simple solution - small canisters of gas for camping stoves plumbed into the exhaust pipes.

There are actually kits you can buy for carb'd that interupt the ignition to allow raw gas to run through, and a coil/spark plug at the end of the tail pipe to ignite it.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

MetaJew posted:

Is there some sort of 'flame tune' that people run that makes your car run extra rich? Or is there enough fuel in the exhaust that just having a spark source will throw flames?

Some good antilag.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXePkrLPWwk

Although the P1 is really good at making flames the right way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t1L5ShVR8w

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Motorcycles are really good at it.

My GSXR750 does it when I let off at high revs. Big bang - big flame out the back.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I guess i should've mentioned that I'm aware of antilag, motorcycles, and the exotics that do it. I just meant when ricers put spark plugs in their exhaust pipes.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

The ghost is coming from inside the car

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f14_1393634596

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

jaegerx posted:

I had a 240 do that once after I helped a friend put the rack back in his car.
Turns out the lines were hooked up backwards.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bajaha posted:

edit, what ^ he said too.

There's a flame tune (running pig rich), or you can setup anti-lag for a turbo setup, but I've seen most ricers/people do it the cheap way and have a switch on one of the plug leads causing that cylinder to misfire, thus throwing unburnt fuel into the exhaust and voila, throwing flames.

That seems like it would be a recipe for having a muffler explode.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

jaegerx posted:

Last time I had a problem like that was when I changed out the steering box on my '65 Plymouth & instead of disconnecting the high-side power steering hose at the nut from the male threaded receiver on the unit, I decided to undo the two bolts at the top that held this l'il metal shoe to the box.

Turned out to be a proportioning valve. When I started the car it spun to full-left lock in about a half-second & the belt commenced to screaming.

After I shut everything off and changed my underwear, I read up on Chrysler sliding-adjustable proportioning valves & set it properly.

TL;DR:

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Mar 2, 2014

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I seem to remember someone in AI restoring an old Nova, couldn't figure out why it was running like garbage. Then there was an earthshattering kaboom resulting in pieces of (clogged?) exhaust all over his garage floor.

vvvv Explosions really do fix everything!

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 2, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Ineptus Mechanicus posted:

I seem to remember someone in AI restoring an old Nova, couldn't figure out why it was running like garbage. Then there was an earthshattering kaboom resulting in pieces of (clogged?) exhaust all over his garage floor.

Hi :)

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

That's the most underwhelming response to that sort of thing I could have imagined. Not "My ears or still ringing" or "I"m still picking bits of exhaust out of my garage floor" or even "yup, that was me"... Nope. Just "Hi :)"

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

drukqs posted:

His pussy is waiting fellas...

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
In the last two weeks I have seen two late model range rovers riding around with what looks like a wrecked rear suspension. As in the gap above the wheels is non existent , crazy negative camber and no travel over bumps. The front wheels look normal. Is this some common issue with these cars? At least one of the owners had their hazards on and was looking to get off the road. That suggests to me that it was a sudden change.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Mercury Ballistic posted:

In the last two weeks I have seen two late model range rovers riding around with what looks like a wrecked rear suspension. As in the gap above the wheels is non existent , crazy negative camber and no travel over bumps. The front wheels look normal. Is this some common issue with these cars? At least one of the owners had their hazards on and was looking to get off the road. That suggests to me that it was a sudden change.

Range Rovers and late model USDM LR3/Discos all have 4 corner air suspension standard. So you saw a JLR product with air suspension in its' natural habitat(i.e. suspension is completely hosed because the car got slightly damp once or something and the 3rd owner who picked the car up for 1/8th the MSRP can't afford to fix it).

Throatwarbler fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 2, 2014

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Bet they tore one of the air shocks, that happens pretty regularly to those Rovers. Or the height-sensor got looked at sternly.

Pictured: an L322 Rover with some sick stance courtesy of superior British engineering.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 2, 2014

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Friar Zucchini posted:

That's the most underwhelming response to that sort of thing I could have imagined. Not "My ears or still ringing" or "I"m still picking bits of exhaust out of my garage floor" or even "yup, that was me"... Nope. Just "Hi :)"

Hi. :zombie:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Friar Zucchini posted:

Would it make you feel better to know that I'm still pulling pieces of the seat cover out of my rear end? I've still got the baffle from the muffler on a shelf in the garage. It will live there forever as a memorial to the start of this project. The car is currently without an engine or subframe. A thread should be happening in the spring once I start getting things put back together.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Didnt someone in ai get his head crushed by his truck at one point and instead of going to hospital he started posting about it here. Or was that some sort of elaborate fakepost/something I imagined.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I definitely remember that too, the description he gave of having his vision start to warp and darken from having his head squeezed was a bit :stare:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It was IAteJesus.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I seem to remember someone getting a dose of phosgene too

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

If my Neon experience is anything to go by that thing probably hasn't even been in an accident. Just a fairly normal ~10 year old Neon.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

InitialDave posted:

I've been meaning to attach my GoPro to the boot lid and get the exhaust nice and hot to see what happens. There's lots of popping and grumbling on overrun and such with the exhaust modified, and while I assume it's too long to ignite I'm sure it's worth checking to make sure ;)

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

drukqs posted:

His pussy is waiting fellas...

You can't leave out the best one

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Negromancer posted:

How can anyone not love this?

cormorant
Nov 3, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

How can anyone not love this?

For the same reason most of us don't love those shoes they make for kangaroos or zombie repellent spray or dinosaur language translators, because it's a stupid and useless product that doesn't show off anything new or innovative and just kind of makes the car more dangerous for everybody around when the owner invariably tries to operate it on the road using a TV for a headlight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cormorant posted:

For the same reason most of us don't love those shoes they make for kangaroos or zombie repellent spray or dinosaur language translators, because it's a stupid and useless product that doesn't show off anything new or innovative and just kind of makes the car more dangerous for everybody around when the owner invariably tries to operate it on the road using a TV for a headlight.

Yeah well, you like, don't get it. Or something.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...

Negromancer posted:

I was actually starting to feel bad for the guy last night like "he just doesnt know any better" then i woke up to that tgis morning -_-

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Eh, I feel like if someone spends tons of money and time on something, even if it's kind of dumb, it's at least admirable that he didn't waste that time playing video games or something.
Plus the more out there "show" cars are, the better IMO. It's not going to be on the street or track so why not TVs for headlights and 49 exhaust pipes?

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

Negromancer posted:

nice! almost as good as this one

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Holdbrooks posted:

This one's in the wrong thread though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Holdbrooks posted:

this gif is my spirit animal.